Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will the arrival of toddlers change your opinion of TS4?

Comments

• fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Now that Toddlers have arrived it will be interesting to see how the temperature of this forum will change.
    How does this announcement affect your opinion of the game overall?

It matters not. I liked 4 from the get-go and it's my current favorite battling with s2.

I still want the things I want for 4. It's not going to change how I play.

( I was actually scared to check out the toddlers in 4 because of how much 3 ruined them.)

I checked it out and they are great! Wonderful! And so much from S2 toddlers was brought back and even more! But I'm more than a family player and play so many different lives in my households! I want the same attention to detail brought to ALL of them!
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    edited January 2017
    Unfortunately, no. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that TS4 finally has toddlers but like I said elsewhere even looking at the screenshots reminds me of issues I have with the Sims 4.

Some of the issues I had that I thought I could get over I learned I could not when I actually sat down and played the game and it made it easier to notice the more minor irritations I had (like the art style) which made it an even worse experience for me. That in addition to the lack of creative freedom and open worlds... I eventually realized that this game wasn't going to be for me. Toddlers won't change it, pets won't change it and seasons won't change it. And that's okay.

The addition of toddlers, and great toddlers at that, has improved my opinion of the devs a little though. It shows me they know how to listen when they want to listen and they know how to bring their A game when they want to bring their A game because so far it's been looking like C and D game to me. It's been disappointing, and finally, finally I see something I like with this game besides CAS. With toddlers they did what I've been hoping since TS3 they would do. They listened to ideas and feedback from players, they took their time, and they delivered something amazing. I wish they'd done that from the very start.

I also wish they'd communicated better from the very start instead of the no comments and jabs at the "haters". They could've calmed everyone from the very beginning if they'd just said, 'Hey, we know you're upset about toddlers, and we're doing our best to bring them to you and make them the best but it may take some time.' Communication and honesty go along way with people. Taking their time and doing things right yields great results.

I'm happy to see toddlers for players, and I'm happy to see they know how to listen and take their time to get things done. I expect no less than that should The Sims 5 come to be.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Unfortunately, no. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that TS4 finally has toddlers but like I said elsewhere even looking at the screenshots reminds me of issues I have with the Sims 4.

Some of the issues I had that I thought I could get over I learned I could not when I actually sat down and played the game and it made it easier to notice the more minor irritations I had (like the art style) which made it an even worse experience for me. That in addition to the lack of creative freedom and open worlds... I eventually realized that this game wasn't going to be for me. Toddlers won't change it, pets won't change it and seasons won't change it. And that's okay.

The addition of toddlers, and great toddlers at that, has improved my opinion of the devs a little though. It shows me they know how to listen when they want to listen and they know how to bring their A game when they want to bring their A game because so far it's been looking like C and D game to me. It's been disappointing, and finally, finally I see something I like with this game besides CAS. With toddlers they did what I've been hoping since TS3 they would do. They listened to ideas and feedback from players, they took their time, and they delivered something amazing. I wish they'd done that from the very start.

I also wish they'd communicated better from the very start instead of the no comments and jabs at the "haters". They could've calmed everyone from the very beginning if they'd just said, 'Hey, we know you're upset about toddlers, and we're doing our best to bring them to you and make them the best but it may take some time.' Communication and honesty go along way with people. Taking their time and doing things right yields great results.

I'm happy to see toddlers for players, and I'm happy to see they know how to listen and take their time to get things done. I expect no less than that should The Sims 5 come to be.

I agree with what most of what you've written @ApparentlyAwesome but especially with what I bolded. We know they're listening and reading feedback; expectations have risen now.

I think there should be a section somewhere on the forums for ideas for future iterations. Most everything beyond TS4 gets moved to off-topic. If they're taking on board feedback, we should be able to get it in now. Just my 2p.

aricarai wrote: »

I agree with what most of what you've written @ApparentlyAwesome but especially with what I bolded. We know they're listening and reading feedback; expectations have risen now.

I think there should be a section somewhere on the forums for ideas for future iterations. Most everything beyond TS4 gets moved to off-topic. If they're taking on board feedback, we should be able to get it in now. Just my 2p.

Yes! I'd spend all my time there, lol. I think a section like that is very much needed. We need a specific place where players talk about what we'd like to see in the future, bounce around ideas, ask the devs questions, and have them ask us questions. I still have questions I'd like to ask in the Ask a Guru Game Development thread. I hope that opens again soon.

I really only stick around here for The Sims 5. I don't want to see it in a TS4 base game situation. I don't think they'll make a section like that for a while though, after that whole no Sims 5 if Sims 4 doesn't do well. I think they're about to get a boost in sales though now that they've added toddlers, so who knows the where they are on that now, but hopefully one of the first things they'll do is create a section and talk to us if they begin working on TS5.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    I definitely think it should be a collaborative effort; I think they'd have a much happier fanbase because I'd be uber displeased if TS5 base was anything like TS4 base.
  • SnowWolf58SnowWolf58 Posts: 382 Member
    edited January 2017

I also agree w/the majority of your statement here, Apparently Awesome. I am playing the Sims 4, often gritting my teeth since Sims 3 was the BEST of the series so far. I too think that EA/Sims Gurus should have been more forthcoming about adding Toddlers to the game as that would have eliminated so much anger, frustration and angst from loyal, longtime sims players.

I actually changed my mind about Sims 4 when City Living came along. The lack of freedom to build sandbox style is still there and many other lost details from Sims 2 & 3 -- however, this EP finally lit my inner fire for the Sims series again. I haven't really cared about Toddlers per se as not being a parent in RL, I don't usually have the patience it takes to play toddlers in this game. The new details, animations and gameplay added by this toddler patch will provide me some much needed new entertainment in this game now. I will probably go back to aging up most toddlers after cheating up their skill points -- as I'm impatient when it comes to young sims and really love playing the teens and YA's. But I am VERY HAPPY for the hundreds if not thousands of sims players who now have their much desired wee kids in the game finally.

This addition gives me hope for the things I want to see in the Sims 4. Like Weather & Pets -- as well as many other musical instruments, sports and entertainment objects. We have hints of weather currently in the game w/the wind/breeze and the fog. Rain and snow must not be too far off along w/wolves, raccoons, skunks and PETS! :D

Ryzen 1700X • 16GB • RX 580

INFJ -A/-T
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JerrelloJerrello Posts: 896 Member
    Absolutely. I think we all just wanted to know that the team actually cared about what we have been asking for relentlessly. I would have even purchased the toddlers but the fact they went above and beyond on toddlers and released them for free left me speechless. I honestly thought it was some kind of sick joke initially..even after seeing the toddlers I felt like I had to pinch myself. Not to mention to see them paying attention to the supernatural fan base even though I didn't get my preferred supernaturals just yet makes me feel like their finally getting back on track. I haven't purchased any content since romantic garden..as you all can imagine I have a lot of catching up and purchasing to do. :):D
    @aricarai I think they would too. Since The Sims 2, even before then, players have had tons of ideas and those ideas have evolved as the series has gone on. We're happy to help and talk to them. I wish they were able to talk back in the way we really need them to though.

@SnowWolf58 Exactly. I get that recently their freedom to talk to us was stifled but before they could've eased tensions with one or two sentences.

I'm glad City Living managed to pull you in! I missed a lot of things from 2 and 3 as well. For the way I play The Sims 3 is perfect. The Sims 4 was a big change for me but originally felt I could handle it if they added toddlers, Pets, and Seasons. I have greater hope for The Sims 5 but I'm glad that so many peoples hopes and spirits have been raised when it comes to The Sims 4! It's a drastic change on the forums and it's one I hope will last. I hope they keep putting out things to the caliber of toddlers or greater.

After seeing what they've done with toddlers I am interested once again to see what they'll do with Pets. I'm still iffy about how they'll pull off horses if they have them, but toddlers and vampires appear to be more fleshed out so I'm curious to see what they'll do down the road.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    Nope. Toddlers are completely adorable and if I could play one forever, I would. But at some point, they will age up and I'll be painfully reminded that I'm playing the same TS4 that was there before Toddlers; and that game is far too flawed for me. They were never going to be the cure-all I wanted and needed, but I am happy they are here. The Devs did a great job on them, though I hope the ones in TS5 are even better!
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Me too. Toddlers are not the bee all and end all. I am ecstatically happy they are here. But let's not get ahead of ourselves - there is still a long way to go. At least for me, but for once in the entire lifespan so far of TS4 have I actually feel that they might be able to turn it around.

Toddlers were my number 1 issue. If they can sort out about 4 or 5 more this game will be perfect for me. I never bought I'd be saying it but I think it *might* happen. I'm willing to wait and see now. After this, they've earned that from me.

--T
  • MingYangYoMingYangYo Posts: 362 Member
    No fix the spontaneous culling and then maybe I'll be open to it again.
    Let me in I got a heart of gold

L2Oe8ie.jpg
  • LissmelsLissmels Posts: 79 Member
    There are still a lot of things missing, and a lot of ghings that need improvement. Builders are missing a lot of stuff, teenagers need to be more teenish, babies need to stop being so passive, the lifestages need to be more seperated and unique, and the game overall needs more variation.

But here's the thing; I had given up hope. I thought that EA really couldnt care less, and that the game would never get better. After two years of hoping and waiting, I believed that toddlers would never come, but then they did, and they were amazing. When I saw all the time and effort put into these little sims, and how improved they are compared to previous games, my gope returned. I thought they didn't care, but they did. EA listened, they gave us what we wanted, and the game feels much more complete now.

Toddlers changed my view on the sims 4, yes, but not because of the goddlers themselves, but because of the hope that came with them.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2017
    OMG, having toddlers made me feeling positive about the future again, and I can see that the team can make some great quality stuff and are able to take feedback. :smiley:

However, I did not like the silence or indirect snubbing of toddler fans or calling people haters, though. EA needs to work on communication skillz, lol. :lol:

Anyway---Besides all of that, this update has made me hopeful again. :grin:

There are still some issues with the game, such as building and customization limitations and the still wonky AI, and of course, lots of still missing base-game-level content, but I am enjoying my game much better now with the awesome toddler update. :smile:

This toddler update has me reassured again, and now I can happily be patient and wait for the new content (while still providing constructive feedback on what works and doesn't work, and if there are any major bugs, etc). :blush:

I can now relax and play my families again. This update has done so much for my family gameplay, and I am going to savor this update while I wait for the vampires GP. :blush:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    edited January 2017
    Sorry, but no. Although it looks like they did an excellent job with the toddlers, the game is still a half baked cake for me. So they added some pretty decorations, but the middle of the cake is still mush.

kim :/
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    OMG, having toddlers made me feeling positive about the future again, and I can see that the team can make some great quality stuff and are able to take feedback. :smiley:

However, I did not like the silence or indirect snubbing of toddler fans or calling people haters, though. EA needs to work on communication skillz, lol. :lol:

There are still some issues with the game, such as building and customization limitations and the still wonky AI, and of course, lots of still missing base-game-level content, but I am enjoying my game much better now with the awesome toddler update. :smile:

This toddler update has me reassured again, and now I can happily be patient and wait for the new content (while still providing constructive feedback on what works and doesn't work, and if there are any major bugs, etc). :blush:

I can now relax and play my families again. This update has done so much for my family gameplay, and I am going to savor this update while I wait for the vampires GP. :blush:

I don't know if "relax" is the right turn of phrase with these little monsters...
    In my earnest I decided to try for baby immediately after the first one was born...

(I bet you can guess what happend next..)
    Now I happen to be an old school TS1 micromanaging wizard...but this...?
    (I suppose it doesn't help that I decided to put the matriarch of the family in an active (doctor) career while the husband is in business.

It also doesn't help that I play on the longest life cycle settings, and for some reason the babies never auto aged....so guess what I got the impulsive bright idea to do? Yep three little monsters all running around at once.

If they weren't so darn cute I would feed them to the cowplant. >:)

PS..
    I don't use any mods at all. When mommy came home all three of the little tykes came running out to greet her...and they all just kinda hung around out there. (waiting for daddy to get home?) That's why he's facing the opposite way...he had just teleported onto the lot an hour after Mom got home..

01-14-17_9-03-26AM.png
  • RebeccaThurstonRebeccaThurston Posts: 234 Member
    Now that Toddlers have arrived it will be interesting to see how the temperature of this forum will change.

It doesn't change my opinion on the Sims 4. I will like the game for the things I DO enjoy rather than focusing on (and as a result being miserable) for what it doesn't have. Toddlers were never "make or break" for me. I actually don't think I have any issue of that magnitude in regards to this version of the franchise. Emotions made me pause when I first started hearing about the game but now that I have seen them in action it's a good addition. Though to be fair, there have been some things added that I scratch my head in puzzlement about why the devs felt it necessary to add them when they could have used the time to release other things instead. But I just roll my eyes and say "whatever" and go back to my regular scheduled playing lol.
  • RebeccaThurstonRebeccaThurston Posts: 234 Member
    As someone who has enjoyed TS4 I thought toddlers were going to be added eventually. I'm grateful they came in a free patch and now the game is more complete! I just really want to see those vampires though. I'm not sure which one is bigger deal to me :D

That's pretty much what I said too - I knew they would be added eventually so it wasn't a big deal if they weren't in it right at the beginning.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member

I don't know if "relax" is the right turn of phrase with these little monsters...
    In my earnest I decided to try for baby immediately after the first one was born...

(I bet you can guess what happend next..)
    Now I happen to be an old school TS1 micromanaging wizard...but this...?
    (I suppose it doesn't help that I decided to put the matriarch of the family in an active (doctor) career while the husband is in business.

It also doesn't help that I play on the longest life cycle settings, and for some reason the babies never auto aged....so guess what I got the impulsive bright idea to do? Yep three little monsters all running around at once.

If they weren't so darn cute I would feed them to the cowplant. >:)

PS..
    I don't use any mods at all. When mommy came home all three of the little tykes came running out to greet her...and they all just kinda hung around out there. (waiting for daddy to get home?) That's why he's facing the opposite way...he had just teleported onto the lot an hour after Mom got home..

01-14-17_9-03-26AM.png

As soon as the download patch had finished installing, I did a trial practice run in a save by adding a random toddler to a family that is already pretty full (six children!), and wow, that one tot felt like he took up a lot. Sim Mom's time, lol! :astonished: He was a Clingy type, too, so he was sad a lot whenever sim mom leaves. Poor baby.

Good luck dealing with three of those little munchkins, @Uzone27 ! :lol:

I am going to give a smaller sim family the toddlers and then see how it goes from there. I still haven't explored everything the toddler patch has to offer, and I'm eager to play and find out. :blush:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • WillowG145WillowG145 Posts: 351 Member
    I've reinstalled the game and played a little with a new family, mother alien and dad human, with a little alien toddler.

The toddlers are great and fun to play. But the rest of the game need serious work. It's actually worse than I remembered: sims spend a lot of time watching in front of them wihtout doing a thing (not even animation) instead of eating.
    Usually don't use the nearer furniture: they regularly don't eat at the table in front of the fridge, and the few time they do, they go to the other side of the house to was the plates in the bathroom when they have a sink in the same room!
    Giving orders to the older sims is hard. Too many times they don't execute them.

Plus, stuff I hate: no unnatural colours for toddlers! Why is that?!? Why can't I make my human sims with supernatural genetics like elf/deamon/whatever fantasy creature I desire with ereditary unnatural colours? Or you know, why can't I have my alien sim not have alien hair? It's already bad the limits in colours (really, there isn't a decent light brown hair colour!) but this limitation I don't understand!

Toddlers are cute, and my compliments of the work the team have put in them. If only the same care and work was done to the base game!!!
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member

It doesn't really. Apart from wondering if the future packs will be of the same quality as the toddler update and wondering if this is the year that the game finally starts to live up to it's potential.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    WillowG145 wrote: »
    I've reinstalled the game and played a little with a new family, mother alien and dad human, with a little alien toddler.

The toddlers are great and fun to play. But the rest of the game need serious work. It's actually worse than I remembered: sims spend a lot of time watching in front of them wihtout doing a thing (not even animation) instead of eating.
    Usually don't use the nearer furniture: they regularly don't eat at the table in front of the fridge, and the few time they do, they go to the other side of the house to was the plates in the bathroom when they have a sink in the same room!
    Giving orders to the older sims is hard. Too many times they don't execute them.

Plus, stuff I hate: no unnatural colours for toddlers! Why is that?!? Why can't I make my human sims with supernatural genetics like elf/deamon/whatever fantasy creature I desire with ereditary unnatural colours? Or you know, why can't I have my alien sim not have alien hair? It's already bad the limits in colours (really, there isn't a decent light brown hair colour!) but this limitation I don't understand!

Toddlers are cute, and my compliments of the work the team have put in them. If only the same care and work was done to the base game!!!

This is so true, from what I've read the toddlers are an advanced improvement from all the other Sims version, and that advancement should have been applied to the rest of the Sims4 game from the beginning (even an optimized/improved open world :P).

I'm Just curious... In what sense?
    Do you mean from a structural design/feature point of view?

I would be inclined to think the toddlers wouldn't be able to blend into the game seamlessly if the infrastructure wasn't already there.

• WillowG145WillowG145 Posts: 351 Member

I would be inclined to think the toddlers wouldn't be able to blend into the game seamlessly if the infrastructure wasn't already there.

I don't understand Your question? Toddlers have many new interactions and
    Logical reactions to their surroindings (they would notice if a parent is At work and feel abandoned) and are grumpy when tired. And For what I played react tempestively to My orders.
    Instead adults or ignore my orders, or an autonomous action appear before the one I want them to do, after I've given the order. Passing from one sim to the other is a risk, since the first sim may decide to give priority to talk to someone instead of do what I have ordered him/her to do.

Is, for me that I'm playng the sims 4 after many months, that toddlers have been done much better t'han the test of the game.

I don't understand Your question? Toddlers have many new interactions and
    Logical reactions to their surroindings (they would notice if a parent is At work and feel abandoned) and are grumpy when tired. And For what I played react tempestively to My orders.
    Instead adults or ignore my orders, or an autonomous action appear before the one I want them to do, after I've given the order. Passing from one sim to the other is a risk, since the first sim may decide to give priority to talk to someone instead of do what I have ordered him/her to do.

Is, for me that I'm playng the sims 4 after many months, that toddlers have been done much better t'han the test of the game.

Ok Gotcha