Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is The Sims 4 Worth it now?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    Well, theres still no base of story progression, so for my town to get going and not just be inhabited by ghosts I have to Master Controller.

I still can't change the length of age stages either. Something else I would really love to have w/o mods.

No struggles like burglars or the repo man. You can't get arrested for messing with the public, things like that.

But the game is one step closer to getting better though. I think that most of us can see that.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I think it is worth it if they keep on add good features to the game and I think they are on the right track even with how things are done in the Sims series now. I am waiting for terrain tools and neighborhood creation tools.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited January 2017
    This is going to surprise you I'm sure but yes. Here is why. When the game was first released it cost $60.00 They lowered that base game price to a permanant $40 all the time. That is where it should have been to start with. With the patching of base game (which will install if someone buys the base) returning a life stage which is very fleshed out..you would be amazed at what all they added to these toddlers, pools, halfwalls, ghosts, patched in basegame careers, changes to the basegame careers to remove some of the 'grind' in the beginning, gender patch for some, and many other things (lighting) that have slipped my mind, then yes, as far as a Sims' games it is worth $40.00..Now.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't tweak traits and emotions because they really need to get all that under control to make sense to the player. And they are still way too happy 100% of time. However, as far as did toddlers restore the game to resemble other base games...yes. So, yes, for $40 now instead of $60 and what they have added in the last two years to the basegame, it's worth a try. May not be someone's cup of tea, but it has improved in the last two years. It's just sad it took this long to even get us to this point.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    Heck yeaH!!!!
    p6tqefj
  • Options
    NotLoudonWainwrightNotLoudonWainwright Posts: 863 Member
    It's been worth it since the very beginning.
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    No still not worth it, still so much missing that would have made it great, the addition of toddlers is certainly a big plus, but overall still no where near the quality it should have been or ever likely to be
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    Not really worth it. Where the Sims 4 is now, after 2.5 years, is what the base game should have been...for the ridiculous price they charged for it.

I'm happy that family players finally got their Toddlers. Of course EA/Maxis Devs refused to speak to fans or give them any communication what so ever that they were going to put them in the game...and all anyone got was either..."we can't do this, or it's too difficult to do that"... or worse...Silence. This is something that desperately needs to improve. Communication is key... and one of the reasons people still have a fondness for TS2 and TS3 is because the "gurus" or "devs" used to talk to us. Not to mention those games Have so much more to offer...still.

We know we are never going to get an open world....but could they at least give us more than 5 lots??? I can custom design an entire world in TS3 and have 20 to 40 Lots to do it with.

Us Builders get no love from EA/Maxis... where are the stair options ( like L-shaped, U Shaped, half circular stairs) and more variety with Stone, wood, paint and tile patterns for floors and walls. How about making stone patterns that match all the chimneys instead of just 3. Landscaping....another thing we wont get back is the terrain tool. So can we have a higher variety of landscaping foliage?? Seamless windows, More doors, Curtains, Sheers, furniture....and so much more.

I could list for days about what we builders would like to have. but when they spend all their time on a talking toilet, and can't make an elevator functional....I have my doubts about upcoming EP's, GP, and SP's.

Let's see what happens when they get pets in there. and if weather is even possible with this game engine.

If they really want to get us builders back to loving this version of the sims....I suggest they put together a Builders Stuff pack. And I mean really stuff that thing full of building stuff. A LOT OF IT.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @Simpkin No it's not CC. The Sim on the right is wearing the kimono. It came with City Living and is full outfits.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Is the game worth the $40 price? No, not yet, even with the addition of toddlers. There's still much that needs improving upon, and more things need to be added to the game.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited January 2017
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    As I already had this discussion before asking players whether the sims 4 is worth it and a few did say it lacks a few things like toddlers, now since toddlers finally came into the game, would you say The Sims 4 is worth it? or is there still improvements that need to be made for your play style?

There are still improvements that need to be made. Toddlers were never my issue. I'm glad they're here. They sound awesome. But the issue I have lies much deeper than missing content. My issue lies with existing content that has not been properly fleshed out. Playstyles that have not been considered. And claustrophobic small worlds that can not be customized.

That's not even touching on all the poorly executed content to date--along with the long-standing issue of culling on all levels.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    GreenEnviatorGreenEnviator Posts: 1 New Member
    For some reason My game keeps crashing ever since the toddler updates :( I dont know why but ive tooken out all the mods and it still crashes it didnt even warn me it was updating can anyone help me maybe think of what it could be? because my sim is trying to give birth but when she does it crashes and up till then it would crash randomly.
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Is it worth it in general? I don't know. I haven't really been keeping up with prices and it would depend on what all one is looking for. Is it worth it to me personally? No.

Some people have already touched on issues I still have. The biggest issues I had playing were the lack of freedom. Loading screens were more annoying than I thought, at least opening the neighborhoods would've been good, but I would've preferred if they'd improved open worlds. That's something we're definitely not getting this go round.

CASt and the color wheel are very important for my creative freedom. I can't stand the furniture not matching or not being able to color my sims clothes, hair, and eyes. I never really cared for the default colors and styles provided and I'd always change them or want to change them so that was a big blow to me.

There's also issues I have with emotions, multitasking, other lifestages, the lack of terrain editing options, not being able to alter the towns and cities in the way I want, not being able to pick more traits for sims, and more.

A few of my issues can never be fixed in this game, but I think they're finally moving in the right direction. It's too late for me, but there are still players I think they can pull in if they keep this up.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    For me, it was worth it from the start. I am very glad for everyone's sake that they added toddlers. But for all they have added, I am still waiting for cars, or at least a visible means of transportation, along with working buildable elevators, spiral stairs, and eventually pets, weather, skating, holidays, hotels, magic, more supernaturals (fairies, witches, werewolves, plant-sims) and beach lots. The fact that toddlers have finally been added to Sims 4 makes me much more hopeful that these things will come, especially cars/bicycles/motorcycles/buses/taxis/subway stations, that I had almost given up on.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    For me? Absolutely!

Toddlers was my deal breaker. I love TS4 but if we'd never got them I don't think I'd have trusted the brand again in the future. But now we have them and I can relax and enjoy whatever they do next.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I finally feel the game is worth playing I have found myself playing for hours today and yesterday family play has been improved greatly with toddlers. Its far from perfect I'd still love to see them make teens and elders more unique and actually make you feel like your playing that life stage like they did with toddlers.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    I got it during the holiday sale...so it's worth it at that price(15-20 USD). I wasn't going to pay more than that for it.
  • Options
    kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    I gave up on this game not long after release. It lacked way more than toddlers. And from what I have seen and read it still does. Although it looks like the creators did some seriously intense developing with toddlers, it still looks to me like the game is lacking some basics to keep me entertained.
    After all the chaos created with the lack of toddlers and information as to whether we would ever get them, I am not jumping up and down with joy and forgiveness. There were a lot of rather nasty things said that I found totally inappropriate for representatives of EA . Still leaves a bad taste.
    I an sure the addition of toddlers will encourage those who had given up, to start purchasing things they had passed on. I am still not ready to reward EA with my $$$$ for a game I paid a AAA price for and got a beta train wreck.

But for those that enjoy the game and are happy with the addition of toddlers, Happy Playing!! It looks like they did an outstanding job creating the little guys!
    :/
    kim
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    Adding toddlers was a huge step in the right direction (especially since they seem to be the best they've ever been.)

I haven't tried to play TS4 since Halloween (I updated to add the new few Christmas items, but didn't actually play) and probably won't until I get Vamps. If they play as well as they look, I know that they will be the thing that finally grabbed my interest and will get me to enjoy the game at last! They also appear to be better than before (and to take that comment farther - much closer to how they should have been.)

There is still a lot missing from/broken in the game, but adding back a feature so well done, gives me hope that TS4 can be improved and will morph into a game that I will like.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    sweetbluekiana1sweetbluekiana1 Posts: 167 Member
    Not quite but almost. We just need more NPC's, (firemen, burglars, repo man, bonehilda etc.) and then they just need to expand on their expansions. It will be totally worth it then. I'd also like to see another life stage preteens but I'm willing to wait awhile. They did just patch toddlers in for free and I'm very thankful!
  • Options
    JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    edited January 2017
    A year ago I'd have said no, but I've learned to see Sims 4 as its own iteration and with its own unique quirks, design etc etc.

So it's very much worth it. I only learned we got toddlers like half hour ago so I'm updating now - can't wait to play them!

(all I need now is a repo man and burglars would be awesome)
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2017
    After playing with the toddler update and after seeing the vampire info, I am starting to feel very excited about the Sims future.

For me, after that update and with the upcoming vamp stuff, yes, Sims 4 is slowly becoming a good sims game.

I am still waiting for some things like Seasons, tropical vacation or beach content, and maybe more magical occult/supernatural beings, but I am quite happy with my purchases right now. :smile:

It is all subjective, though, and it depends on what features a simmer enjoys and which features are priorities to him/her, and it's up to the devs to do the features justice.

(For example, for me, open world is kind of low on my own list. Toddlers, supernaturals/occults, restaurants and retail were pretty high on my list, and so far, a lot of those features were/are being introduced. I am not a builder, so the lack of building tools are not a huge deal breaker for me. Right now, I am waiting for vampires, Seasons, tropical island / ocean content, and more magical supernaturals, like fairies or witches. And mermaids. I love, love, love, love mermaids and fairies and witches.)

Here's hoping Sims 4 will add content that will satisfy many simmers.

For now, so far, for me, Sims 4 is worth it. Toddlers have filled a bug gameplay void for me. I will see if the vamps will do the same for supernatural gameplay, but it is all looking good so far. :smile:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Donna6155Donna6155 Posts: 55 Member
    Not totally. The EP's are way too expensive and hard to find, without downloading them from Origin. I don't ever buy anything online, would rather have the hard copy. Also, not fond of the fact that everybody wants the same thing in it as is in Sims 3. The only things different, that I've seen so far are, emotions, easier building, no open worlds and multi tasking. If I want to play with toddlers, vampires, pets or have weather, I'll play the Sims 3.