Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is your "routine" with your toddlers?

I'm just curious how you guys play out your day with toddlers involved! Whether you have a stay-at-home parent or the toddler goes to daycare, I want to know if you follow a bit of a schedule for feeding, bathing, bed, etc.

I played a household where the mom worked from home while the dad worked and there was 1 toddler. I had the family sit at the table together (with the highchair) for both breakfast and dinner, and I gave a sippy cup to the toddler in addition to the plate of food. I also noticed the little toddler meal/snack options and thought those were adorable, but feeding her breakfast and dinner satisfy her hunger. Im wondering if I should only feed her 1 "real meal" a day and give her the little toddler food otherwise. What do you guys do.

I also give a bath every night after dinner then read her to sleep by 8ish. So the parents have a few hrs of peace before bed! It is usually spent cleaning.. lol

Share your "routines" id love to hear them! Xx

Comments

• plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    Stay at home - all the way.

Eat, breath, sleep toddlers. It's a one-way ticket to Toddler City.

My routine is under construction and currently classified.
  • simlish1simlish1 Posts: 2,738 Member
    I done a tester family with a toddler last night. This toddler was my sims only child and neither her nor her boyfriend worked. But literally the whole time he was a toddler I was just teaching him to talk etc and filling up his needs as well as the adults. I have no idea how I'm going to manage a sim holding down a job and a demanding toddler.
    Origin ID - eliselove1
    Four Seasons Properties

• notetoself00xnotetoself00x Posts: 499 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »

LOL well I respect your confidential info :D hahaha
    simlish1 wrote: »
    I done a tester family with a toddler last night. This toddler was my sims only child and neither her nor her boyfriend worked. But literally the whole time he was a toddler I was just teaching him to talk etc and filling up his needs as well as the adults. I have no idea how I'm going to manage a sim holding down a job and a demanding toddler.

Yes it's so challenging! Looking forward to the craziness though!!
  • Brieanna19Brieanna19 Posts: 307 Member
    Right now I have two families with toddlers. My first family is a single dad, before work he wakes child up at 530- feeds- potty trains- eats breakfast- calls nanny- goes to work- With this family his toddler has the clingy trait and likes to throw tantrums.. pretty cute :D

Second family- Dad is a writer- mom stays home- she wakes up at 430, does her cardio, makes breakfast, showers and then starts her toddlers day(for some reason toddlers in my game will sleep till 1030am,woohoo!).
  • simlish1simlish1 Posts: 2,738 Member
    I had a wild toddler who kept taking his clothes off lmao!
    Origin ID - eliselove1
    Four Seasons Properties

• notetoself00xnotetoself00x Posts: 499 Member
    Brieanna19 wrote: »
    Right now I have two families with toddlers. My first family is a single dad, before work he wakes child up at 530- feeds- potty trains- eats breakfast- calls nanny- goes to work- With this family his toddler has the clingy trait and likes to throw tantrums.. pretty cute :D

Second family- Dad is a writer- mom stays home- she wakes up at 430, does her cardio, makes breakfast, showers and then starts her toddlers day(for some reason toddlers in my game will sleep till 1030am,woohoo!).

Wow both of those files sound awesome!! Haha i am excited to try the clingy trait it sounds cute!!
    simlish1 wrote: »
    I had a wild toddler who kept taking his clothes off lmao!

Omg i want to try that too!! Hahaha
  • KayxxFanpireKayxxFanpire Posts: 500 Member
    My current family is very hectic so I have everyone on a schedule! My Sims have 6 kids...1 YA,2 teens,2 kids and 1 toddler. 3 girls and 3 boys! So I currently have 8 Sims in my household.

The mom writes books for a living so she stays home with the little guy while dad and oldest sister work and the other kids are at school. I have Greyson (the toddler) wake up in the morning,eat breakfast (I love that you can give them "toddler food" or just give them a plate of whatever everyone else is eating) and then mom spends the day helping him with his skills and playing :) Then when everyone else comes home they will also play/help Greyson inbetween homework and daily tasks. Then they are all in bed around 9-10pm.
    03.22.2013 <3
  • ceinwynieceinwynie Posts: 162 Member
    edited January 2017
    I started a new family but the first pregnancy gave me twins and it's being so hard to maximize their abilities, the parents are always passing out, the toddlers are always hungry, I had to make the lifespan longer so I could develop them properly. I am half way there, then I will try for another baby and hopefully it will be only one this time. I don't even have a routine, since they are twins, when one is sleeping, the other wakes up, I can only imagine how hard it is to raise triplets now.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    So far, I played one in a family of 2 parents, 1 teen, 1 child, and the toddler, and pretty much let them do full autonomy. Getting him to stay in bed... they were a little bad at that. And comforting him after a nightmare... was hysterical to watch him waddle through the house, waking up each sim in turn with his cries. Those jerks ignored him though and they all went to grab a plate of food.

So I haven't developed any kind of routine. Still playing with the limits of what they'll do autonomously. I'm thinking the ideal in terms of career would be to do one of the City Living careers, with the Work from Home option. That way they can complete tasks, while still keeping an eye on him. Or just have two parents and one is a stay-at-home. Which by the way, now seems like a really important option, what with how needy those adorable bundles of joy are.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Cherryrose_xCherryrose_x Posts: 524 Member
    Routine?! I find it hard enough getting regular sims in a routine let alone these demanding little things haha!

I got thrown in the deep end, my sim was already pregnant and had twins! Doing a legacy so made my real life husband choose a letter which was there trait picked at random.. Thankfully got angelic! But they spend the whole time hungry or tired! My parents are always in the red! I can't appreciate them very well at the minute because they are such hard work which is a shame!

Doesn't help my sins seem to stand about doing nothing for hours at a time when instructed to do something!
    Gallery name: Anna-Banna
  • Chimp2678Chimp2678 Posts: 4,072 Member
    I just played one family for a short time, maybe one Sim day. I will play more later.
  • DARTHAWESOMEEDARTHAWESOMEE Posts: 5 New Member
    Yes, I have a small routine for you! My family is a mom, dad, boy toddler, and boy infant. They live in a starter home in oasis springs, so there is technically no room for anymore people! My dad works in the athlete career meanwhile the mother is the main caretaker and she paints on her easel to make money. The dad doesn't really care. He just impregnates the mom for his own pleasure and fun, if you know what I mean. So the mom is always in the red because she is always busy taking care of her kids. Soon, Mr. Babymaker will strike again and they will "unfortunately" have a third child! LOL!
  • snarklessnarkles Posts: 244 Member
    The first toddler my sims had was pretty much my main focus. The mom quit work to stay at home with her daughter and her (and my) world pretty much revolved around her - teaching her skills, playing, feeding, etc. They had a son by the time the daughter was a child, and the mom hadn't gotten her job again, so it was just her and the boy, but the dynamic was a bit different with the parents also needed to focus on their eldest child as well as the toddler. I had also not let the daughter use the tablet at all, but changed my mind with the son this time around, and found it made things a bit easier. Now the daughter has just become a young adult, the son is a teenager, and they have a second son who's just now a toddler and it's an interesting sort of set-up with the eldest moved out, both parents working but with such vastly different schedules that the toddler never needs daycare, plus the help of the first son.

I love it! I don't find toddlers monotonous like I did the previous two games.
    xSfr2Kh.jpg
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    I've had way too many toddlers in the families I've played so far to have any kind of routine.
    I routinely check them to make sure they're not dead. B)
  • Whitney4234Whitney4234 Posts: 5 New Member
    For my little Toddler Maddy her schedule during the week is:
    5am wake up, potty, get dressed, work on skill, then free roam.
    9am eat breakfast and socialize.
    10am get ready for nap
    11am-130pm naptime
    After nap mom and toddler may go shopping on her day off or a friends house until 4.
    5pm take bubble bath
    6pm-6:30 bed time; read toddler to sleep
    ( on weekends(Friday/Saturday) her nap times are later and she won't go to sleep until 9pm)

She is a very happy toddler with a loving family (:
  • poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    lock them in their bedroom and drag food to them when they begin starving.
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    also this thread is old ap, thanks whitney..
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    My current sim used to be a live-in nanny so she has lots of experience with toddlers of all kinds. She finally got her own place and had her own baby. She (Claire) became a stay-at-home single parent and made money from painting

Generally, my sim would wake before the toddler and have her own breakfast in peace. Then little Mya would wake up and be taught potty first of all, then get put into the highchair for cereal and juice. Claire (the mum) would sit beside her and chat until she finished. Then, if needed, bath time and get dressed.

So after bath time, she would take Mya out in the sunshine to play beside her while she painted one picture.
    272.png?dl=0

Then, after they had some lunch together they would usually go to visit a friend, the park, or the Humpty Dumpty play centre.

Back home for some refreshments and then a bedtime story. After Mya fell asleep, Claire would normally do a little more painting. (Mya is now a child in my game).
  • ambrownambrown Posts: 804 Member
    i've played with both parents working and with a stay at home mom and i like the stay at home mom way better!
    they get to teach and bond more and that's how i usually play.
    Right now i have Jonny Zest married to my sim Ivy, she started from rags to ritches only making money from gardening,fishing,collectibles and she is not allowed to have a job. Jonny is in the business track now and Ivy finally opened up her own garden store business to sell what she grows
    Their kid Mckenzie just turned into a toddler so I've kept Ivy home the past few sim days but when i play she will go back to the store (usually from around 9AM to 6 or 7PM)
    I am planning on having Ivy take Kenzie with her as i set up a little home on the business lot for her, so she can keep learning and growing and not being sent to daycare.
    The store only sells dragon fruit, which takes four days to harvest so once Ivy sells out she'll be home for a few days before having to go back to the store!
    you're ele-phantastic
  • plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »

This is still highly-classified - especially since we got Parenthood.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I recently had two toddlers in my household -- it's complicated but Gunther Munch brought his stepson Emory Holiday along when he moved in with my Sim Cassidy Purdue and their son Jaxon. Once you get them a couple of skill points in Movement and Potty, they can take care of themselves much of the time. On the days when both Cassidy and Gunther had to work, I'd call a nanny; she'd make a meal and the boys could just grab a plate when they were hungry, and could ask her for help with learning or potty training or baths. One of the parents would usually be home by mid-afternoon to help take care of the evening duties. The best part about having two toddlers is that they maxed out the Communication skill in no time because with the multi-tasking they would chatter to each other while playing.

That family now has a toddler and two children -- I usually have the kids grab a quick meal while one of the parents (usually the one with an off day -- lately Gunther and Cassidy have been alternating off days pretty well) packs lunches for the family, then takes care of feeding the toddler (often just grabbing leftovers out of the fridge and putting them out for the toddler to grab). The children can also help the toddler with learning, plus playing and just talking to them; it's quite cute.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    Ok. Here's how I play with the toddlers.
    I send them to the daycare, because at there toddlers will learn all of their skills at once until they return.
    I have my sims cook grilled cheese and I just leave the serving plate out so toddlers can come and take a serving. After everybody has taken a seving, I'll just put them back into the fridge for the next time.
    Bed times are usually at 7.30 PM and I have parent read to them to build their imagination skill.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I don't have a way since I've been trying to play depending on how I think that sim will take care of them, or not take care of them. Because they are so cute though I get soft and my sim goes out of character lol. They do tend to rule the place no matter what. Sometimes I let them all do their thing with only slight guidance too. I end up controlling the sleep and getting the family members up when that need fills.
    Because the toddlers have such variety even when I play to get them ahead with needs and skills being a priority I still don't come up with a style. I do usually have one stay at home parent/roomate/teen or nanny with very rare daycare pretty much across the board so far. I gotta start trying that.
    egTcBMc.png
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Usually I make the household revolve around the toddler, but right now I'm playing a 5-Sim household (2 teens, 2 YA parents and a toddler) and I have realised that is IMPOSSIBLE when everyone has to get ready for work and school and have a social life. So I've been making my toddler take care of herself sometimes - grabbing her own meals, using the potty on herself, playing on herself. I feel bad and like I'm neglecting her, but I make sure to have her siblings and parents interact with her at least a couple of times a day.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    I send them to the daycare, because at there toddlers will learn all of their skills at once until they return.

I started hiring a nanny but I soon realised that was pointless and a waste of money. All he did was cook a meal and then watch TV all day - interacted with the toddler like once or twice the whole time he was there. I've started sending Blake to daycare now when her parents and siblings are at work/school, as its free and she comes back with high needs!