Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think that bowling and Vampires could have been implemented in EPs?

Comments

• Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited January 2017
    "We can really focus on vampires and make them incredibly detailed"

On this, I believe a lot of people are soon to be VERY disappointed.
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Of course they could be put into an ep, but at what cost. If wanna put something else in, something of equal or greater resources has gotta go. (Which means, no, the talking toilets wouldn't have made much of a difference if they had scrapped them) I'd much rather have something in a dedicated pack than something that's put in another pack as an after thought that doesn't really fit it in the first place.

Imagine that, you could've had a City EP 'with' bowling as well, instead of a talking toilet (which could've had its own GP instead).

raw
  • IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    Yes, they could've, and should've.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Of course they could have. Everything could. We could have nothing but EPs of random stuff, with huge empty gaps between, for the same price as all the content is now because the size of the shopping bag doesn't change the cost of production. Can't imagine what would be better about that. The size of the shopping bag does not determine the quality of the content, and waiting six months for new content is awfully 2002.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • mrnhmathmrnhmath Posts: 750 Member
    Of course they could have. Everything could. We could have nothing but EPs of random stuff, with huge empty gaps between, for the same price as all the content is now because the size of the shopping bag doesn't change the cost of production. Can't imagine what would be better about that. The size of the shopping bag does not determine the quality of the content, and waiting six months for new content is awfully 2002.
    funny, because that's what been happening
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    I have just been chatting to another Simmer who plays TS4 and they said that although they are happy to see Vampires they would have felt that they would have been better suited to an EP to follow the traditional route of having them in the 'city EP' which in this case would be CL. They also said that bowling should have been in CL but I reminded them that in TS3 we actually in University Life but as it is a group activity I suggested why not use it in the Get Together EP which is about social activities am I right?

So what do you think? I think that some content is better suited to actual EPs and shouldn't be 'sold later'

GPs should be like the store from TS3 and include worlds and venues for your Sims to visit.

Then again some of you might like the idea of getting them in a cheaper pack as opposed to an EP.

What do you all think?

Please note I am using my IPad so there might be some typos.

Also be nice in the replies, this is not an angry thread :smile:

I'm pretty much happy with each getting it's own pack.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    I don't feel like bowling is big enough to be singled out into its own stuff pack. You'll probably get the bowling lane, and a few clothes and hairs. I'll be surprised if it comes with a bowling alley venue and/or bowling alley lot type but I doubt it. And why put vampires in a game pack all on their own? Seems like they plan on making you shell out $20 for each individual supernatural, if they even bother to make anymore.

If it doesn't come with a new lot type and venue I'm going to be very disappointed. I want a pre-made bowling alley cause I suck at building.

It will probably be added to our libraries.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Orchid13 wrote: »
    Yes. Short and simple. Anyway let's see if it's worth it, so if we get the best bowling and vampire experience I'll change my opinion.

This is what it rides on. If it's not a s good, or just as good as when they were in an EP, then yes.
    But if they work out better than before, then no. Keep it separate.

• Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    Evil_One wrote: »
    "We can really focus on vampires and make them incredibly detailed"

On this, I believe a lot of people are soon to be VERY disappointed.
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Of course they could be put into an ep, but at what cost. If wanna put something else in, something of equal or greater resources has gotta go. (Which means, no, the talking toilets wouldn't have made much of a difference if they had scrapped them) I'd much rather have something in a dedicated pack than something that's put in another pack as an after thought that doesn't really fit it in the first place.

Imagine that, you could've had a City EP 'with' bowling as well, instead of a talking toilet (which could've had its own GP instead).

A new toilet model with a couple of interactions and animations isn't exactly the equivalent of functional bowling, which was the point I'm trying to make.
  • Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    mrnhmath wrote: »

Did 9 stuff packs and 3 gps, as well as one of each soon to be released all dissapear?
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

How long was the biggest gap between co tent last year?

I seem to remember some players getting anxious for a while
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited January 2017

How long was the biggest gap between co tent last year?

I seem to remember some players getting anxious for a while

Last year was pretty dry in terms of content. There was a period from February to June where we got no paid content. One GP, one EP and 5 SPs?
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited January 2017

You bring up quality over quantity throughout your post but close with a massive contradiction to yourself.

We waited 6 months for content, but it was well made and centered around one strong, central aspect of the game which needed expansion upon. Now everything is a convoluted mess, and we've been stuck on the 'socialization' theme since the game has been released, when things like family life and the world are horribly neglected upon.
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

You bring up quality over quantity throughout your post but close with a massive contradiction to yourself.

We waited 6 months for content, but it was well made and centered around one strong, central aspect of the game which needed expansion upon. Now everything is a convoluted mess, and we've been stuck on the 'socialization' theme since the game has been released, when things like family life and the world are horribly neglected upon.

Interesting points but while some players may have waited 6 months for actual content, a lot of players are still waiting after almost two and a half years for actual base content which is yet to arrive.

Quality over quantity is a mixed reaction in TS4. For many, that quality is long over due

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    I agree bowling could have been in the City living EP, or even a 'group activities' Stuff Pack.
    But I'm glad Vampires are getting their own Game Pack.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited January 2017
    This is a tough one until we know what the vampires are really like. Somehow I always had a feeling supernaturals would come in GPs instead, and that can be a blessing or a curse, depending on a) if the vampires are done well and b) how and if they will add other supernaturals down the line, and c) how many. I still think both vampires and witches have enough content to be a stand-alone GP. So for now, I'm on board with the idea. We'll have to wait and see how that plays out in the end. Bowling? I guess that could have been in GT or CL but I think you could say that about a lot of things, technically, and that it also depends on its execution. I'm not against the idea of making stuff packs about a little more than just stuff, unless of course they use it to split features. I'll see what the next EP is and make up my mind about that then because as it stands, we don't know enough to judge (for me anyway). If, for example, the next EP is seasons or pets, and the SPs / GPs are about pet trainers or seasonal festivals, that'd be a horrible, horrible business choice. So I'll give them 2017 and see what I think then ^^
    @SimTrippy Thanks for the comment :smile:

I do wonder how well Vampires would be received in a GP. If they do not work then you might get a lot of 'I paid this amount for Vampires and got nothing in return!' or things could actually work out quite well.

You might find if Vampires work that you might see other supernaturals in other GPs, maybe fairies, werewolves or even zombies but those who don't like supernaturals anyway might get annoyed especially if there is too many GPs focused on them in a year.

As with most things TS4, I would suggest to players who are not sure about them to wait around and see the reviews and other player's opinions before purchasing. Things literally can go one way or the other.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    I totally agree that too many supernatural GPs wouldn't be a great idea either, especially for those who hate them. Which is why I think only witches, if any, will still get their own GP. Which then begs the question: what about the rest? Can they make 1 vampire GP, one witch GP and add the rest in yet another EP? That's 3 packs some people can't buy if they hate supernaturals. Given how long it takes them to release content, that's a lot to miss out on... So idk, I have no idea what way they are going to go with this yet ... Which is why I'll have to wait and see, and make up my mind when we know more. So yes, I hope this time they thought about it very long and very hard, in an effort not to alienate even more players.
    @SimTrippy I don't think that many players really know where TS4 is going. It has, over the past two and a bit years but various content out there in a bid to try and please players but with often very mixed results.

I still go by my original suggestion though, include a lifestate per EP. This way when a new EP is announced players who like supernaturals know they will be getting one in the new EP but for those who do not want them, they can still avoid them so you can please both crowds.

A Vampire GP would appeal to quite a few Simmers but not everyone and after a while, the idea of having too many supernatural GPs would grow tired even for those who like them.

There is still a lot that is 'missing' and a lot of players have given up waiting for those features.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Also, I sometimes wonder: when should DO initially have been released? Wasn't it delayed quite a bit due to development issues? What if the vamps GP was actually supposed to come out much earlier? Would we've gotten 2 GPs in 2016 instead? #justwondering
    @SimTrippy I don't think that many players really know where TS4 is going. It has, over the past two and a bit years but various content out there in a bid to try and please players but with often very mixed results.

I still go by my original suggestion though, include a lifestate per EP. This way when a new EP is announced players who like supernaturals know they will be getting one in the new EP but for those who do not want them, they can still avoid them so you can please both crowds.

A Vampire GP would appeal to quite a few Simmers but not everyone and after a while, the idea of having too many supernatural GPs would grow tired even for those who like them.

There is still a lot that is 'missing' and a lot of players have given up waiting for those features.

Yeah true with a toggle, one could come with each EP as well. Although I really, really want very fleshed out, super cool witches lol. So if and only if the vampire GP is very well done, I want the same for my witches ^^ other than that, yes, I agree with you that this would probably be easier.
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Also, I sometimes wonder: when should DO initially have been released? Wasn't it delayed quite a bit due to development issues? What if the vamps GP was actually supposed to come out much earlier? Would we've gotten 2 GPs in 2016 instead? #justwondering

Possibly. From what I recall, we didn't get any content in the second quarter of 2016. DO could have initially been slotted for that quarter.

@SimTrippy I think that toggles should be compulsory. If players are not interested in Vampires then they can avoid the GP but that means that there might be a larger than average proportion not buying the GP because it has a theme that is only enjoyed by around half of the player base unlike other themes that tend to appeal to a larger majority.

By putting Vampires or other supernaturals in EPs means that they would be there for those who want them and toggles provided for those who want the EP for the rest of it's content but can turn off the supernaturals if they don't want them to spawn.

GPs can then be used to cater for other gameplay that could appeal to a more broader audience.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg

Possibly. From what I recall, we didn't get any content in the second quarter of 2016. DO could have initially been slotted for that quarter.

Indeed or DO was for the first and the vamps for the second? I get the feeling that this is kind of the model they'd like to run : 1 GP in Jan-March, 1 GP in July-Sept or maybe April-June, 1 EP in Oct-Dec. And that it's possible that these GPs do, in a way, relate to the EP. I might be wrong about this though ^^
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Things should be placed in whatever EP, GP or SP the devs want them in, it is their creation. If you don't like it or want it, then skip it.
    This is what I've always thought, thanks for posting it.

I'm rather happy with the arrangement of vampires having their own GP. Bowling seems suitable for a SP, I believe they can expand on the theme if needed.
    edited January 2017

Indeed or DO was for the first and the vamps for the second? I get the feeling that this is kind of the model they'd like to run : 1 GP in Jan-March, 1 GP in July-Sept or maybe April-June, 1 EP in Oct-Dec. And that it's possible that these GPs do, in a way, relate to the EP. I might be wrong about this though ^^

When GPs became a thing I initially thought it would be a GP every 6 months with an EP in between, so we would get large packs every 3 months, but I now realise this is definitely not the case :D of course, there are lots of variables behind the scenes that affect when packs are released.

Edit: also take note that quarters are 3 months so the second quarter is from March to May :)