The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Machinima by Simmerville - Jan 18: Mazaloom NEWS Year 231

SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
So, I've been learning from failing for a while, reconsidered the software I'm using, and on top of this my computer is quite the low end. After publishing a couple videos to my youtube channel, I figured I might be able to help others by sharing some of my experiences. On this thread I will both reflect on creative and technical challenges, and of course also share whatever I produce.

I'll make sure to post new subjects, so feel free to comment on whatever comes up! I'm still searching for good routines when I produce a film. Always wanted to find a set routine that I could copy, but I guess it's better if we all find our way.

I've been a simmer since 2001, and from the release of TS2 I got fascinated by the in game film mode. There are literally thousands of video clips from my TS2 Simmerville hood on my computer, clips that never was used for anything but documenting my hood and households. It's a brilliant source to great memories :) I also created a few vids (Simmerville Studio) back then, including some content for my in game TV channels. As a teenager I made RL films in formates that are long gone. Currently I frequently work as an extra for film and TV, and I wanted to try machinima for years.

This far I enjoy film making very much! I think it's super cool and I wish I could spend more time on it! I made many long and detailed stories over the years, but all were made with still photos and published on my blog, only. The film format might be easier to access for viewers, especially if you discover a story 25 episodes in - I think it's more likely to catch up with films than to read all those old blog posts. I also think film makes it much easier for the viewer to catch small hints and clues regarding the story itself because you can control their focus and experience in another way.

Check out my channel for a start :). There are a few TS4 vids already, plus a handful old TS2 nostalgia clips :)

Here's the first LIFE Unlimited episode:

Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
Post edited by Simmerville on

Comments

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    Episode 2 of LIFE Unlimited is also available, uploaded today. Just wanted to post these two in the best order :) This is a story about two kids who suddenly get split from their parents. Could have been quite a drama, but in this case the story will take a different twist. It's planned to be a cool and relaxed everyday story - will need a couple more episodes to get it all settled...

A little tech talk. My computer is low end, bought early 2016 as one of the cheapest I could find. No separate video card and sound card with dedicated RAM, and therefore quite limited resources for both running games on high resolution and producing films. But I decided to give it a go anyway, thinking that if focusing on the story telling, poor image quality might not be that important to all viewers out there? Anyway, I'm quite happy with the picture quality, could have been worse with those tech limitations.

While episode 1 was recorded straight from the game's video function, episode was recorded with OBS (Online Broadcast Sysem). Filming within game was my favorite, I never did it in any other way. But when I was ready to record episode 2, the quality turned much worse, in fact I had to find another way! No idea what caused it, game wise the Day of the dead-patch was the only change I can think of.

I had quite some hassle understanding how to use OBS, but once getting it, it is very easy to use. I might go more into that in a later post.

Do you see any significant difference regarding the quality? Would you expect a better or worse graphical result from a low end computer? I don't recall the settings in detail, but using OBS allowed me to raise the game settings a little. I also think I used only 30 fps on recording episode 2, so it might feel a bit choppy here and there.
    RL became more busy than planned, so I had no time for recording Life Unlimited ep#3. In fact, most my TS activities were rather limited over the past few weeks. I did something though, I prepared for the entire first season of this series, making a routine that inspired by the day schedule set up by a real TV producer where I worked as an Extra many times.

So, in a spread sheet I made a brief overview of the story, divided into scenes. For each scene I wrote the location and the intention with that scene (what part of the story to focus on or highlight. Then I made a list of characters taking part, giving each of them a unique number, and finally I figured who would take part in each scene, adding their number. Also added whether extras will be needed, LOL. Finally added whether a certain mood will be needed.

Now I have a good overview which helps me to keep track on the coming work. Best thing is that each scene has an ID, so do all participating sims. I know who will need a make over in CAS, and I know what locations to upgrade (adding clutter etc).

When all scenes are listed, it's easy to see how they will be grouped in episodes, making sure there is a certain cliffhanger.

Next step will be to reshuffle the scenes. Say if 3 scenes take place in the same kitchen, featuring the same 2 sims, but spread over 3 different episodes, I can work more effectively by filming all 3 at the same go. I just need to keep track on clothing, to make sure there will be continuance with other scenes, on different days.

So, now I feel ready to start filming. I think that episode #3 of Life Unlimited will be up in about a week!

Are you planning your recordings in a similar way?
    Hm, all this text makes me wanna share a video clip even if it's not really machinima. Still, it might be useful if you make realistic and cluttered homes for your scenes - those family portraits on the wall should be rather important. Make them personal! :)

edited November 2016
    Just a quick note about my new series starting tomorrow! (Also documenting how bad I am at planning my simming sessions, ha!)

Got City Living last night, and while loading the game eager to check it out, I got a new idea for a machinima. Ha, I intended to play, but this far I've only entered a very few apartments to check them out, not really playing at all! Instead I find myself busy planning the new storyline! The story will be much based on getting to know San Myshuno, through the eyes of a main character, and it all takes place 10 years ago meaning most residents are 10 years younger than they were on release. So, except for being recorded as a movie (with all walls up and not including my voice, it will still be a new take on a Lets Play, the main character will explore many venues and activities for the first time and be quite curious about who lives there. A brand new way to see it all :)

And if you are bored with the fact that 99% of the LP's out there picked the same apartment at Culpepper Apts of the Spice Market hood, then great news, because my main character will not reside in that apt :)

Story is called "City Living - Undercover", and I expect the first of six episodes to be up tomorrow already! I'll post again here when it's up - stay tuned!
    edited November 2016
    That feeling when you thought you were done recording the first episode of your new machinima series, but realizes that you filmed it all in windowed mode, meaning your user interface was captured, too...

thatfeeling.jpg

Well, I thought I would need to record everything again, but then I figured my Filmora editing software allows me to crop the captured images. Phew! It took me two extra days converting all clips to remove the user interface. Meaning the first episode will be delayed, but not for much longer now.

Btw: Title was adjusted: "San Myshuno - Undercover" ;)
    Post edited by Simmerville on
  • GLEichholzGLEichholz Posts: 129 Member
    Check out SimsFilmFest (www.simsfilmfest.com) and consider joining.
    edited November 2016
    Finally, the wait is over! I'm aware of that I might be the only one waiting for this, LOL.

New series "San Myshuno Undercover" is planned for 6 episodes, and will be released this Winter. First episode is out today!

I really love San Myshuno, it's perfect for machinima making, and yet I only stayed at Spice Market, for the most. The series will explore the city and some of the locals through the eyes of Jill Narvane. She is looking for a certain person, and the red thread is like a mystery. Perhaps you can solve it before Jill? :)

I hope the quality is okay, I didn't see any problems caused by needing to convert all clips one extra time, because I had filmed it all with full UI...

Hope you like it! Next episode will probably be available in about 2 weeks.
    edited December 2016
    GLEichholz wrote: »
    Check out SimsFilmFest (www.simsfilmfest.com) and consider joining.

Hi @GLEichholz I'll definitely check it out. Just think I'll need some more machinima practice before signing up :)
    I couldn't wait - here's part 2 of my series San Myshuno Undercover! This episode was recorded with adjusted settings, saving in a different format from OBS. Can you tell a difference? I have a lot to learn about the formats, don't want to lose more quality to compression than strictly needed.

Anyway, enjoy!

• xoFireflyxoFirefly Posts: 40 Member
    You do an excellent job with editing these videos! The time it must take :open_mouth:
    xoFirefly wrote: »
    You do an excellent job with editing these videos! The time it must take :open_mouth:

Thanks @xoFirefly ! Your comment means a lot to me! Yes, it takes some time, and I certainly could have spent twice the time n each project and get it a tad better, but still learning and eager to move on :) I hope you will enjoy the coming episodes!
    Another Life Unlimited episode is up today, part 3! Barbara and Fredric are still lost in the huge forest of Granite Falls. Did their parents just leave them there? Fredric learns that being just a child restricts what you can do out there in the wild, it's time to adjust their plan!

Not sure whether there might be any new episodes this year, if not, this series will be back early January :)
    Happy new year! I was hoping to release more vids before Christmas, but RL got too busy (no surprise). I worked on a new San Myshuno Undercover episode though, and it was just released. Secret agent Jill Narvane visits Casbah Gallery and finally makes a new contact that she longed for...

A total of 6 episodes are planned, so stay tuned :)
    I just uploaded San Myshuno Undercover - part 4! Only 2 more episodes to go...

I've been quiet for a while, but RL got the best of me. No time for gaming, or creating my movies. I'm heading out of town again tomorrow, but because I hate being silent, I decided to share this old TS2 recording that I found in my archives. The One Happy World charity show was recorded back in 2008 with many well known residents from my Simmerville Hood - AND a huge audience :)

edited June 2018
    I've not found time to make movies for a while, but now with Seasons I'm back with more. Currently I'm making a series with focus on seasons and weather in some of my worlds. First up is Brindleton Bay, a lovely world with the best nature scenes. I currently don't play many houses there, but many of my sims living elsewhere visit frequently. I the next seasons related movies there will be more focus on one specific household.

This one might be more interesting if you still have not got the Seasons EP. Hope you like it!

Second movie in my series "Seasons in my worlds" was released few days ago. This time you can enjoy 16 minutes from my Newcrest - a world that looks different in all games, but the nature and big pictures are common.

My Clump family is in focus - you might know them from "The Five Units Challenge" on my blog.

There will be about 6 more movies during July, so please subscribe to my channel not to miss them. Some will focus on families while others are mostly nature and random sims, showing the surroundings and nature during a full year. Not every single Seasons feature is covered in each movie, so if you don't have the pack yet and want to see everything, check out several movies :) .
    I keep uploading my seasons related movies. This time wild nature is in focus, set in beautiful Granite Falls.

Episode 4 is out! "One year in Gloomville" (aka Willow Creek) focuses on seasons, weather and nature, but unlike the previous episodes, there is also included a loose story involving the Bootwig household. They have been among my favorite households ever since the start in 2014.

This is Willow Creek, the one world we all know because it came with the base game. We probably developed it differently, here's a few glimpses from my version :)

Episode 5 is out! "One year in San Myshuno" gives you seasons, weather and city life.

Here's yet another Seasons based movie; "One Year in Oasis Springs". Focus on nature, weather and seasons, but also featuring my Rosewood household.

Phew, just before July ends - here's Windenburg! It's a bit long, but with a nice cup of tea those 20 minutes will fly by :) I just got this world, so it was a brand new location for me. And wow is Windenburg beautiful and inspiring in various ways! It felt like jumping between 3 different worlds.

Just released a bonus movie to my Seasons series; "One Year in Sylvan Glades". This is different from the previous 7 movies, being mysterious, hypnotizing and romantic. And are there seasons n this lovely little secret world? Watch the 8 minutes to find out :)

I'm continuing my series of Tips _& Tricks, or rather "How I play". In this film I try to explain how I have a working Council in my game, with election procedures and more. I plan to make a new film in this series every other month or so :) Next up might be how I use extra DNA in my game.

Uploaded a new show - 4 parts, all available. Check out "The Free Will Show - Hug Craze Edition".