Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We really need a "Townie Job Manager" tool!

So, today I cooked up a new mod for my game, that puts some tighter restrictions on who can and cannot be a Nanny. I made it so Teen female and Young Adult female Sims are the only ones allowed, and I did this so my game would stop spawning old ladies that I have no need for. I have plenty of Teen Sims that don't do anything, and I have plenty of Young Adult Sims that don't do anything. So, I thought, this is the perfect opportunity to give them something to do!

But nope. The game keeps generating a brand-new Nanny every time I try to hire one, instead of drawing from the pool of unemployed, unplayed, homeless Sims that meet the requirements for the job.

I've noticed the same thing with Mixologists. Instead of there being a small pool of Mixologists that spawn in the grand total of three bars that my Sims visit regularly, and then reusing those mixologists elsewhere if needed, every time I visit a bar, there's a new bartender waiting for me.

It's getting ridiculous.

So, I'd like to propose a new tab that can be added to the "Manage Households" window.

I call it, "Manage Jobs".

In the Manage Jobs menu, we can look at the list of jobs that our game currently requires to be filled, and manually assign Sims that fit the criteria.

And then, and only then, if there aren't any suitable Sims to fill the role, the game can generate a new hideous Townie to fill the job.
However, should we create a new Sim that DOES meet those requirements, that Townie should be able to be given the boot.

In short, PLEASE give us the power to choose who can fill NPC roles, so that the game doesn't keep getting bloated with Sims that we don't want.
wJbomAo.png

Comments

• 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,570 Member
    This! Please.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited December 2016
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    But nope. The game keeps generating a brand-new Nanny every time I try to hire one, instead of drawing from the pool of unemployed, unplayed, homeless Sims that meet the requirements for the job.

In my case, I assigned the nanny job to Gladys Morse by using cheat codes ( trait_isNanny + career_Adult_NPC_Nanny).
    Now I would like to edit in CAS the Situation wear in order to bring back her glasses.

nb6cdwnwcokb.jpg

I've noticed the same thing with Mixologists. Instead of there being a small pool of Mixologists that spawn in the grand total of three bars that my Sims visit regularly, and then reusing those mixologists elsewhere if needed, every time I visit a bar, there's a new bartender waiting for me.

Be careful, some jobs require several NPC :
    • 3 bartenders per SimDay :
      • 6am-2pm
      • 2pm-10pm
      • 10pm-6am
    • 3 baristas per SimDay :
      • 7am-3pm
      • 3pm-11pm
      • 11pm-7am
    • 2 DJ per SimDay :
      • 12pm-8pm
      • 8pm-4am
    • 2 gym trainers per SimDay :
      • 7am-3pm
      • 3pm-12am
    • 2 librarians per SimDay :
      • 7am-1pm
      • 1pm-8pm
    • 3 reflexologists per SimDay :
      • 7am-2pm (one NPC for each chair, up to 3)
      • 2pm-9pm (one NPC for each chair, up to 3)
      • 9pm-7am (one NPC for the lot)
    • 3 massage therapists per SimDay :
      • 8am-3pm (one NPC for each massage table, up to 3)
      • 3pm-10pm (one NPC for each massage table, up to 3)
      • 10pm-8am (one NPC for the lot)

For example, Perfect Balance Spa needs 7 massage therapists and 5 refloxologists.

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • PapayaSkyPapayaSky Posts: 177 Member
    ... :'( This feature is sorely needed. Please, please, somebody listen to the OP in some shape or form.
  • iriefthiiriefthi Posts: 1,073 Member
    i agree!
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    edited December 2016
    @LeGardePourpre in an ideal world, those 3 Mixologists would be the only ones in the game. Maybe Bump it up to 6, just so there's some variety.
    Not every bar needs a unique pool of bartenders.

But the point would be that we can assign as many as we want. Minimum of 3, a max of however many bars you have in your game.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Vines12Vines12 Posts: 100 Member
    This would bel perfect!!
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,338 Member
    This is one of my most wanted features.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited December 2016
    Unplayed Sims with jobs should show their assigned jobs in their description in Manage Households: I have accidentally assigned townie gardeners, townie repairmen, townie mixologists, and townie DJ's to apartments in San Myshuno, and when I played them, they were unemployed suddenly, requiring the game to generate more townies, which wouldn't be a problem except for the cap on number of Sims allowed in the game. (At least they retained the skills from their previous profession.) Likewise, unplayed pre-existing families like the Goths sometimes get assigned to these NPC jobs, and if I play them, the NPC job goes away. There should also be a feature in CAS that shows skills for a given Sim, allows the player to assign/add skills (I have always wanted to create Sims with some skills preexisting, even skill level 2 or 3, especially to make up for the fact that they were created as YA/Adult/Elder and couldn't build skills in their child/teen years).
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
    @SimsILikeSims I like your idea of listing the jobs for unplayed Sims. If nothing else, that would be really useful.
    wJbomAo.png
  • AutumnBladenAutumnBladen Posts: 295 Member
    I like this idea a lot.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I one up this
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited December 2016
    I definitely support this! I had a thread about this (and a few other related ideas) this summer - you can see the link in my signature to the "Manage Neighbourhoods" thread.

In that thread, I suggested a system that I think could work really well for this. In The Sims Medieval, every new venue you placed required a Hero. When you placed a new venue, you had the option to choose a randomly generated Hero or to make your own. I think that Sims 4 should do this with the community lots in your game. Each one should have a "Manage Roles" option where you have these options:

* Generate random NPC for this role
    * Go into CAS and create a new NPC for this role
    * Assign a pre-existing unemployed Sim for this role

By default, the game will choose the first option as soon as you take your Sim to visit a community lot. However, the player would have the power to reassign these roles easily from map view. Each venue would vary in how many NPCs needed to be assigned, and this would be reflected in the UI. For players who have Dine Out, this would also work for unowned restaurant lots.

NPC roles that are not attached to a venue - eg. Maid, Repairman, Mail Carrier - could be managed in a similar system but in the "Manage Worlds" menu, with a new tab for "Manage Jobs".

What happens if you assign an unemployed played Sim to one of these roles? It's simple! Your Sim disappears during their shift just as they would for any rabbit hole career. @LeGardePourpre has given examples of the already-existing shifts for these roles, so when you assign the Sim one of these jobs, you also choose which time slot they work. If your other Sims in the household visit the lot where that Sim is working during their shift, the game simply treats your working Sim as an NPC who cannot be controlled until their shift is over, with their face in the Sim panel greyed out as usual.
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    Good idea. I'd love a way to assign specific Sims to roles in my town.
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I was just thinking this the other day when my sim went on a restaurant date and her grandfather was the waiter...only for her to leave for the club and find out her grandma's a DJ....
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,627 Member
    mika wrote: »
    I was just thinking this the other day when my sim went on a restaurant date and her grandfather was the waiter...only for her to leave for the club and find out her grandma's a DJ....

If you mark that household as Played, they won't be given jobs.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    I definitely support this! I had a thread about this (and a few other related ideas) this summer - you can see the link in my signature to the "Manage Neighbourhoods" thread.

In that thread, I suggested a system that I think could work really well for this. In The Sims Medieval, every new venue you placed required a Hero. When you placed a new venue, you had the option to choose a randomly generated Hero or to make your own. I think that Sims 4 should do this with the community lots in your game. Each one should have a "Manage Roles" option where you have these options:

* Generate random NPC for this role
    * Go into CAS and create a new NPC for this role
    * Assign a pre-existing unemployed Sim for this role

By default, the game will choose the first option as soon as you take your Sim to visit a community lot. However, the player would have the power to reassign these roles easily from map view. Each venue would vary in how many NPCs needed to be assigned, and this would be reflected in the UI. For players who have Dine Out, this would also work for unowned restaurant lots.

NPC roles that are not attached to a venue - eg. Maid, Repairman, Mail Carrier - could be managed in a similar system but in the "Manage Worlds" menu, with a new tab for "Manage Jobs".

What happens if you assign an unemployed played Sim to one of these roles? It's simple! Your Sim disappears during their shift just as they would for any rabbit hole career. @LeGardePourpre has given examples of the already-existing shifts for these roles, so when you assign the Sim one of these jobs, you also choose which time slot they work. If your other Sims in the household visit the lot where that Sim is working during their shift, the game simply treats your working Sim as an NPC who cannot be controlled until their shift is over, with their face in the Sim panel greyed out as usual.

The played Sim would have to be assigned to an NPC job, or else they might be double-assigned to a player-given job, and an NPC job. I do wish players could assign NPC jobs like Waiter/Waitress or Repairperson or Maid or Gardener or DJ, or played Sims in the Mixologist track of the culinary career could be mixologists. Maybe there could also be a new Dancer and/or Singer career.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • simmerbrentleysimmerbrentley Posts: 203 Member
    This would be awesome!
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    @SimsILikeSims - Yes, the idea is that the NPC job would be listed as their career just like any career. :)
  • NiniNini Posts: 309 Member
    Agreed!
  • imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    This would be very, very helpful!!
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Bumping this thread because I think that's a discussion that still needs to be had.
    It would give us some control on our game back, and would stop that unnecessary townie spawning.

These are all excellent ideas.
    happyopi wrote: »
    Bumping this thread because I think that's a discussion that still needs to be had.
    It would give us some control on our game back, and would stop that unnecessary townie spawning.

These are all excellent ideas.

I agree!
    Not that I'm biased, or anything.

I actually mentioned this on Reddit a while back, and one of the Gurus seemed to like my ideas, so hopefully it's something they're mentioning around the office.
    wJbomAo.png
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I've wanted this for previous games and hoped it might happen here but they cut out even more NPC roles (fireman, burglar) rather than let you assign them. I think I saw a guru mention on another forum that the team discussed giving playable sims the ability to fulfill basic roles like repairman, maid, etc but thought players would find them too mundane and boring.

I really want a system where you can choose who fills what role in town and for those roles to be able to be filled by playable sims. Why do sims have to lose their jobs if you switch to them? Especially in TS4, where they just disappear off the lot to go to work - what stops a played sim from being set as the repairman and if you play as her or him, they just disappear for work? They could either disappear for a long 9-5 shift, or just get pop-ups saying a job needs to be done and you can accept or deny the job (and take a performance gain or hit). If they wanted to they could probably even make the job open and require you to fix certain objects within a time limit. Based on your skill/mood, you can fix it or make it worse and have to work even longer, etc.

I'm sure there are loads of players who would say "playing an active career repairman is boring", but even if they didn't make it open I'd still like to set playable sims in certain roles. For me it goes hand-in-hand with playable sims not keeping a job if you hire them for retail or restaurants. Why can't my sims be waitstaff or maids or pizza delivery people?
    bizuktag wrote: »
    I've wanted this for previous games and hoped it might happen here but they cut out even more NPC roles (fireman, burglar) rather than let you assign them. I think I saw a guru mention on another forum that the team discussed giving playable sims the ability to fulfill basic roles like repairman, maid, etc but thought players would find them too mundane and boring.

I really want a system where you can choose who fills what role in town and for those roles to be able to be filled by playable sims. Why do sims have to lose their jobs if you switch to them? Especially in TS4, where they just disappear off the lot to go to work - what stops a played sim from being set as the repairman and if you play as her or him, they just disappear for work? They could either disappear for a long 9-5 shift, or just get pop-ups saying a job needs to be done and you can accept or deny the job (and take a performance gain or hit). If they wanted to they could probably even make the job open and require you to fix certain objects within a time limit. Based on your skill/mood, you can fix it or make it worse and have to work even longer, etc.

I'm sure there are loads of players who would say "playing an active career repairman is boring", but even if they didn't make it open I'd still like to set playable sims in certain roles. For me it goes hand-in-hand with playable sims not keeping a job if you hire them for retail or restaurants. Why can't my sims be waitstaff or maids or pizza delivery people?

An active (or semi-active, ala City Living) Maid career could be a lot of fun.
    You go to a random house (like the house call events for the Doctor), and have to clean objects. Meanwhile, the homeowner might walk around the house in their underpants, making your Sim embarrassed or flirty, depending on their traits/relationship status, or might be trying to cook, and makes a huge mess in the kitchen right after you're done cleaning it. When we get pets, dogs could track mud through the house, or might pee on the carpet (if they're not housetrained).

It doesn't even need that many levels, since at its core, it's not exactly anyone's dream job. But we might go from "Maid", to "Owner-Operator" (for Maids who own their own business) to "Maid of the Year". The Teen careers have something like 3 levels, so it's not without precedent.
    wJbomAo.png
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    An active (or semi-active, ala City Living) Maid career could be a lot of fun.
    You go to a random house (like the house call events for the Doctor), and have to clean objects. Meanwhile, the homeowner might walk around the house in their underpants, making your Sim embarrassed or flirty, depending on their traits/relationship status, or might be trying to cook, and makes a huge mess in the kitchen right after you're done cleaning it. When we get pets, dogs could track mud through the house, or might pee on the carpet (if they're not housetrained).

It doesn't even need that many levels, since at its core, it's not exactly anyone's dream job. But we might go from "Maid", to "Owner-Operator" (for Maids who own their own business) to "Maid of the Year". The Teen careers have something like 3 levels, so it's not without precedent.

Yes! I love your idea of a maid who cleans only to have the house owner (or pet) come make more messes, could do the same with a repairman. Or maybe be a burglar who tries to swipe something, gets caught, and has to get into a fist fight to try and escape. There are a lot of possibilities.