Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

is it just me or are family memebers just clones/tiwns of one another.

So i decided to create a random sim that was a sibling to my other sim and while they look random at first if i actually give them the same clothes and hair style and makeup they look like twins and i am just wondering if anyone noticed this because yeah the hair style is one of the few things that makes family memebers look different other then they look exactly the same!

Comments

• nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    So i decided to create a random sim that was a sibling to my other sim and while they look random at first if i actually give them the same clothes and hair style and makeup they look like twins and i am just wondering if anyone noticed this because yeah the hair style is one of the few things that makes family memebers look different other then they look exactly the same!

I think there is a deeper issue with the Sims 4 having their personalities cloned frankly, so it's hard for me to play more than just a single person sim without getting frustrated. In regards to the physical similarities, this was actually a Sims 2 bug :disappointed: That said, I thought they fixed it in TS3, so I don't see why it would return to TS4 unless it was intentionally designed this way to save resources.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    You can get quite many different results when playing with genetics. I think if you only use genes of one sim they're more likely to be very close to each other.
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    The way I play is that each generation has 3-5 children. Once in a great while I'll get a clone of one or other of the parents but its rare. Usually they have a good mix of genetics from parents/grandparents/great grandparents.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    I have noticed that most of the time, my sims' children look either identical or near identical to one of the parents with maybe the other parent's hair colour or a totally weird random sim with the same hair/eye colour as the parents. You rarely get a good mix of the genetics, or at least that's what happens in my game, because I always get a sim that only looks like one parent, as if the other parent's genetics was just erased, besides maybe hair colour.

I wish that children could actually sometimes get a mix of the parents' hair/eye colours instead of just inheriting one, like black hair + blonde hair could equal brown hair, or brown + blonde = copper etc. and brown eyes + green eyes = that brown-green colour that was patched in.
    And if (as an example) a black-skinned and white-skinned sim have a baby, the sim just randomly inherits one tone instead of getting a tone that's more in-between, as in real life :neutral: I mean, I once had a pair of twin girls in the game and one of them popped out with her father's skin tone and the other with her mother's skin tone. What...?
    In Windenburg, there's also a pre-made family where this happened to the teen children. At first I was so confused but then it just dawned on me that the game's genetics system is plumming weird :neutral:
  • LaraNocturnalLaraNocturnal Posts: 74 Member
    I have noticed that most of the time, my sims' children look either identical or near identical to one of the parents with maybe the other parent's hair colour or a totally weird random sim with the same hair/eye colour as the parents. You rarely get a good mix of the genetics, or at least that's what happens in my game, because I always get a sim that only looks like one parent, as if the other parent's genetics was just erased, besides maybe hair colour.

I wish that children could actually sometimes get a mix of the parents' hair/eye colours instead of just inheriting one, like black hair + blonde hair could equal brown hair, or brown + blonde = copper etc. and brown eyes + green eyes = that brown-green colour that was patched in.
    And if (as an example) a black-skinned and white-skinned sim have a baby, the sim just randomly inherits one tone instead of getting a tone that's more in-between, as in real life :neutral: I mean, I once had a pair of twin girls in the game and one of them popped out with her father's skin tone and the other with her mother's skin tone. What...?
    In Windenburg, there's also a pre-made family where this happened to the teen children. At first I was so confused but then it just dawned on me that the game's genetics system is plumming weird :neutral:

I have had a few that look like a really even mix of their parents; I'm always really happy when that happens, because the cloning thing is cute on occasion, but it seems like it happens so often.

But the skintone/hair/eyes thing really bugs me, I'd love to see any of that blend at least a bit better.
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Sometimes the 'cloning' thing happens in real life, my older brother is basically an opposite gender clone of my mother, and while I don't look exactly like my father (but very similar), my younger brother seems to be a clone of me as everyone always mistake us for twins despite being 3.5 years apart... :p

So everytime that happens in the game, all I can say is 'I can relate...' :p
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited December 2016
    Omri147 wrote: »
    Sometimes the 'cloning' thing happens in real life, my older brother is basically an opposite gender clone of my mother, and while I don't look exactly like my father (but very similar), my younger brother seems to be a clone of me as everyone always mistake us for twins despite being 3.5 years apart... :p

So everytime that happens in the game, all I can say is 'I can relate...' :p

I hear you. My son looks just like one of his grandfathers at the same age, and my daughter and her cousin can pass for sisters and would probably pass for twins if they were closer in age. Though I can't say I've noticed anything but reasonable average-ish genetic mixes for my Sims.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • H_alcesH_alces Posts: 65 Member
    They always look like clones until you tweak them a little! If I'm making the siblings all at once I'll make the weird clone siblings and then give them all modifications so that they don't look like the exact same Sim. One of my Sims has a twin sister and pretty much the only thing they have in common is hazel eyes.
  • KendranaKendrana Posts: 4,072 Member
    Think I can remember something like that happening to me in The Sims 2 as well. Thought maybe it even happened a few times in the Sims 3, but not positive on that.
  • CharKittyBooCharKittyBoo Posts: 569 Member
    I love genetics in ts4, I think it's definitely one of its strongpoints. I haven't ever gotten siblings that look identical (even if they are twins/triplets) but I've gotten sims that have many of their parents features – and I love seeing that and being able to pick them out.
    Family player we got toddlers...my life is complete 1/12/17 best. day. ever.
    7ZDKKOkt.png
    My Plum Family Tree
  • MeepleepMeepleep Posts: 180 Member
    Did you get the genetics off 1 sim or 2 sims?

If you just made 1 sim and then cloned the genetics off of him/her to make the siblings then of course they're going to be clones, there was only 1 set of genetics

If you made 2 sims and then cloned the genetics off of them to make the siblings then the genetics should be different since the genetics would just been randomized for both of them
  • CupcakeWitchCupcakeWitch Posts: 542 Member
    I like the genetics in TS4. I have actually had a mix of skin tone before. The father was dark skin (basically a black sim) and the mother was "Asian". There daughter ended up looking like a light skin black girl with some of her moms features.

Unless I have one parent and making the child in CAS, none of my sims look like clones. They have enough similarities to look related but not clones.

I think it helps having parents with different features from one another. That way it's more noticeable
    tumblr_m5yfcmiKZM1r6uev5.gif

• AmyCarolynAmyCarolyn Posts: 303 Member

I wish that the kids would have coloring in between the parents as well. This is why I always go in and tweak them. So if the dad has dark skin and dark hair and the mom is light skin and light hair but they get a kid with the unnatural dark skin and light blonde hair that the sims 4 likes to give sims, I will immediately switch the kids skin and hair color to something between the parents genes like brown hair and medium skin.

I do wish i didn't have to manually do this though. It would be nice if the game just generated more realistic coloring for children based on genetics.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,752 Member
    This is the Grandparents of Gen 3 of the Swason legacy (I had to re-write it)
    Founder Clarissa
    bpd7of3.png

co-founder Berando
    j1miKfE.png

parents
    Hannah (the baby daughter of above)
    HO1Ut4a.png

her husband Jacob
    6KA7mPz.png

their twin girls
    America (current heiress)
    p8lLtDR.png

twin Lucy:
    1SUpXAL.png

Lucy's and America's Paterneal grandparents
    vWPqjEd.png
    RkD9Fwd.png

and their aunt on their dad's side
    56KCprf.png
    6adMCGP.gif
  • simmerbrentleysimmerbrentley Posts: 203 Member
    edited December 2016
    I find if you use the sibling genetics button they tend to look like clones, but if you have two full adult parents I feel like it's a good mesh of genetics, which appear more natural.
    Post edited by simmerbrentley on
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Not really, I like the genetics in Sims 4 the most.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    I've had positive results with genetics in TS4 so far. I can't recall any of my sims appearing to be clones in recent memory, and in one of my generation saves, I've even had some throwback genetics from my sims' grandparents and possibly even their great grandparents. For example, in my randomacy, the third generation heiress has turquoise alien skin. However, her mother has green alien skin, which she inherited from her mother (the grandmother), and the father was human. No one in the family tree has turquoise alien skin except her. Unless this is a bug, I'm under the assumption that the game gave the grandmother undocumented parents (like in TS3) whose genetics surfaced in her granddaughter.
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited December 2016
    My Sims have a great genetic mix, actually! I get in-between skin tones all the time when I have two Sims with very different skin tones. I always love seeing how the genetics of two Sims will mix when their kids age up - they almost always have at least one feature from each parent. It's very rare for them to be an exact clone of one parent. For me it's so rare that I actually get excited when it happens.

This is all for Sims who are born in-game, by the way. The CAS genetics mixer seems to work a little differently.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,559 Member
    I tend to play around in CAS to get the genetic results I want. Even if I plan on putting just the couple in the game to have their children from babies on. Once the baby flies into a child, if child doesn't have the desired look, I will take child into CAS and exchange the pre-made version of it then fix the relationships. I did this in particular to a real family I decided to play. I know what two of the ten children look like, so the rest I just let fall to chance. But the second and third sons must look like themselves, or GalacticGal gets a little cranky. :p

For the parents and siblings of my couple I DNA them off of the son or the daughter and then randomize the heck out of their parents' DNA until I have what looks like a family, but not all so alike you can't tell whose who.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    edited December 2016
    A bit OT, but it's still in the topic of genetics... :sweat_smile:

If there's one thing that I wish TS4's genetics would have incorporated well, is carrying genes of past generations, for example two sims with brown eyes having a child with green eyes, which inherited them from their great-grandmother... It's something that happened more often in TS2 which I LOVED... :p

Though with TS4's culling it probably wouldn't work too well... :/