Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unrecognized Video Card

justbricejustbrice Posts: 348 Member
I had to reset my computer and when I reinstall The Sims 3, I got the unrecognized video card error message. The setting was set to high. It works fine. It's strange that I got that message. I didn't get it before until now. I do have a video card where I'm able to run The Sims 3.

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    justbrice wrote: »
    I had to reset my computer and when I reinstall The Sims 3, I got the unrecognized video card error message. The setting was set to high. It works fine. It's strange that I got that message. I didn't get it before until now. I do have a video card where I'm able to run The Sims 3.
    What video card do you have? Those with any manufactured after 1912 a certain year will see that unrecognized card warning once, including once after a total reset. But if it all works okay and the message doesn't keep reappearing, there's no need to take action on it.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • justbricejustbrice Posts: 348 Member
    Is the video card the graphic card? Is that something else? I have the NVIDA GeForce GTX 960M.
    That's it, two different names for the same thing. If your game is working well and the warning doesn't keep coming back, there is usually no need to force formal recognition of that card.

But I hope you have taken steps, through the Nvidia Control Panel, Nvidia Inspector, or another program to limit its frame (fps) rate. Left unchecked that card can potentially run wild on TS3 and cause all kind of problems including graphics glitches, screen tears, lag, crashing, and overheating.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I did update it. That's about it.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    You need to add the game to your Nvidia control panel like @igazor mentioned. Instructions are in this thread http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/906947/limit-fps-on-1070#latest
    Okay, I'll do that. It's weird that I have to do that because I never had to when I first got my laptop.
  • MadgegamesHDMadgegamesHD Posts: 11 New Member
    I have two GTX 1080s in an SLI configuration. How do I get the game to recognize the card and how do I disable SLI just for The Sims 3 on its own?
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    justbrice wrote: »
    Okay, I'll do that. It's weird that I have to do that because I never had to when I first got my laptop.
    It's recommended to prevent the frame rate from going over 60 (or whatever your monitors refresh rate is). The extra frames can cause lag, screen tearing, and/or high temps. Unless you using the FPS cheat or a program to track you FPS, you won't know if it's going over.
    I have two GTX 1080s in an SLI configuration. How do I get the game to recognize the card and how do I disable SLI just for The Sims 3 on its own?
    Getting your card recognized is not necessary in most cases unless you're having graphical issues now. I can give you step by step in a PM. Instructions here would confuse others with a different card.

right-click desktop > Nvidia Control Panel
    26767660101_141c4c169b_o.png
    For SLI you should see SLI rendering mode > Single-GPU in the list of program settings.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • AletaAleta Posts: 119 Member
    I have just purchased a new PC to finally be able to use all my content without the game crashing when I choose between clothes and hairdos.

But my video graphics card is not recognized!

I've chosen to purchase a Windows 7 compatible computer (no brand), for a perfect Sims 3 experience. I have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. The card is called "ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Expedition" according to the assembly list, but it seems to be NVidia nonetheless. "Can You Run It" (recommended by EA Help) says that everything should work with Sims 3.

I'm not running Origin, and do not want to. I have the physical DVD installers for all Sims 3 expansions, and do not want any trouble with future custom content - which I was hoping to finally be able to indulge in, on a PC, where it all can work. I'm also hoping to not have any trouble with the store content. I own all of it (unless EA/Origin disables my access...)

I get to the welcome screen, but when I press Play I get:

Unable to start game

Device0 cannot run this title.
    No supported video graphics card detected. Please check your system hardware.

I have only installed the base game as of yet, while testing my new PC environment. I am mostly a Mac person, so PC settings are not that easy for me. EA chat support is closed due to the holiday. :(

Can anybody here help me?
    Aleta wrote: »
    I have just purchased a new PC to finally be able to use all my content without the game crashing when I choose between clothes and hairdos.

But my video graphics card is not recognized!

I've chosen to purchase a Windows 7 compatible computer (no brand), for a perfect Sims 3 experience. I have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. The card is called "ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Expedition" according to the assembly list, but it seems to be NVidia nonetheless. "Can You Run It" (recommended by EA Help) says that everything should work with Sims 3.

I'm not running Origin, and do not want to. I have the physical DVD installers for all Sims 3 expansions, and do not want any trouble with future custom content - which I was hoping to finally be able to indulge in, on a PC, where it all can work. I'm also hoping to not have any trouble with the store content. I own all of it (unless EA/Origin disables my access...)

I get to the welcome screen, but when I press Play I get:

Unable to start game

Device0 cannot run this title.
    No supported video graphics card detected. Please check your system hardware.

I have only installed the base game as of yet, while testing my new PC environment. I am mostly a Mac person, so PC settings are not that easy for me. EA chat support is closed due to the holiday. :(

Can anybody here help me?

Did you update your video card? http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/113442/en-us

You then need to add the game to Nvidia control panel using the ts3.w file for patch 1.67. You need to use vertical sync while playing this game. Instructions are posted in this thread if you read the entire thread. This is a must or your card will overheat.
    Did you update your video card? http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/113442/en-us

You then need to add the game to Nvidia control panel using the ts3.w file for patch 1.67. You need to use vertical sync while playing this game. Instructions are posted in this thread if you read the entire thread. This is a must or your card will overheat.

I did my best to update, but nothing worked, and all services said that the drivers were up to date and refused to install anything more. So I thought I was up to date.

But your link did the trick! Thank you very very much! It worked without any tweaking or patches, but I might need it later, for better game play. For now I'm just happy that the graphics card was recognized, so that I could at least start the game.

Now I will continue to install the big pack of Sims 3 DVD's, and then I will finish up with the 1.67 patch. Or should I use the patch first? It feels logical to use it last.
    I'm not allowed to edit, due to forum maintenance, but I will add a thank you for the info about overheating. Of course I will figure out how to also use the rest of your help info.
  • KendranaKendrana Posts: 4,072 Member
    I have a Radeon RX 480 graphics card and the Sims games don't recognize mine either. Luckily, Sims 4 has a vsync feature to prevent tearing, but the older titles don't so I have to use a special FPS limiter to keep them from going over my monitor's refresh rate (which is 60). Unfortunately, changing settings in the AMD control panel doesn't work for some older titles like it did with Nvidia cards.
    edited December 2016

I did my best to update, but nothing worked, and all services said that the drivers were up to date and refused to install anything more. So I thought I was up to date.

But your link did the trick! Thank you very very much! It worked without any tweaking or patches, but I might need it later, for better game play. For now I'm just happy that the graphics card was recognized, so that I could at least start the game.

Now I will continue to install the big pack of Sims 3 DVD's, and then I will finish up with the 1.67 patch. Or should I use the patch first? It feels logical to use it last.

Your very welcome. Always use the direct Nvidia site to update your video card. Also don't use Gforce Experience to optimize your game. Do that directly from your game options in the launcher

I prefer to add the patch first than test the game as I add each ep to make sure each ep installs properly but you can add the patch before or after. I don't know if it makes a difference.
    I'm not allowed to edit, due to forum maintenance, but I will add a thank you for the info about overheating. Of course I will figure out how to also use the rest of your help info.

If you need further help with fps just post back

Your very welcome. Always use the direct Nvidia site to update your video card. Also don't use Gforce Experience to optimize your game. Do that directly from your game options in the launcher

I prefer to add the patch first than test the game as I add each ep to make sure each ep installs properly but you can add the patch before or after. I don't know if it makes a difference.

I found the tsw.3 file too, with your instructions in the other thread, thank you again! With a Mac you will never have to learn stuff like this.

Everything seems to be working, and I'm looking forward to when everything from the store is installed as well. And to finally be able to use all the wonderful mods from NRaas. I have especially been longing to be able to control the weather. :) And also to create my own worlds with CAW.

I found the tsw.3 file too, with your instructions in the other thread, thank you again! With a Mac you will never have to learn stuff like this.

Everything seems to be working, and I'm looking forward to when everything from the store is installed as well. And to finally be able to use all the wonderful mods from NRaas. I have especially been longing to be able to control the weather. :) And also to create my own worlds with CAW.

Your very welcome. Enjoy your game. If you need to check the FPS in game use cheat fps on. Your fps will show in the upper right hand corner of your game
    Your very welcome. Enjoy your game. If you need to check the FPS in game use cheat fps on. Your fps will show in the upper right hand corner of your game

Hi again! I had just enough time to try and start the game yesterday, after finishing all the downloads and installing. CAS did not crash on me - which is what I wanted with this new PC, but there was another problem: The thumbnails of almost all of my CAS store items were invisible! I could click on them, and see new clothes on my sim, but the joy of choosing is still missing, as I can't see what I have. Is this because of Origin? Or should I not have downloaded the whole store before starting playing?

My Mac showed me all these CAS thumbnails, although it couldn't handle all the content and crashed. :(

I am on final patch 1.67, and Origin complains that it can't reach my computer, everytime the installer/launcher starts. But I just click OK, and it let's me continue with launching the game.

I couldn't see anybody else here mentioning this problem, so I post my question here. Or should I make a new thread?

edited December 2016

Hi again! I had just enough time to try and start the game yesterday, after finishing all the downloads and installing. CAS did not crash on me - which is what I wanted with this new PC, but there was another problem: The thumbnails of almost all of my CAS store items were invisible! I could click on them, and see new clothes on my sim, but the joy of choosing is still missing, as I can't see what I have. Is this because of Origin? Or should I not have downloaded the whole store before starting playing?

My Mac showed me all these CAS thumbnails, although it couldn't handle all the content and crashed. :(

I am on final patch 1.67, and Origin complains that it can't reach my computer, everytime the installer/launcher starts. But I just click OK, and it let's me continue with launching the game.

I couldn't see anybody else here mentioning this problem, so I post my question here. Or should I make a new thread?

Im on the 1.67 patch and have not downloaded anything from the store since they added the 1.69 patch. Not sure if EA has something up their sleeve to force origin users of the game to the 1.69 patch in order to use the store. I'm going to page @igazor for their input on this issue

Did you try opening your launcher at desktop and get notice for the store patch? It's separate from the game patch though there is no download link for it. I always installed my game, opened the launcher at desktop and the launcher would add the store patch.
    There is no Patch 1.69 requirement to use the store. If they ever imposed one, they would be locking out players on Steam installations and those on Macs since they have no 1.69 to update to.

Origin is not a requirement at all with 1.67, does it need to be running at all? What happens if you start the game with a shortcut to ts3w.exe, as found in your base game's program files? That should still bypass both Origin and the Launcher in order to startup.

On the missing thumbnails, yes that is odd. In your TS3 user game folder in Documents, in DCCache, try deleting the two little files called dcc.ent and missingdeps.idx, along with any .tmp files that get stuck in there, as well as the usual five cache files on the main level of the TS3 folder. You might also try deleting the three files in Thumbnails, also in your Documents TS3 game folder. Then you will have no thumbnails at all briefly, but they should begin to regenerate as you play and use CAS hopefully without getting stuck again.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Im on the 1.67 patch and have not downloaded anything from the store since they added the 1.69 patch. Not sure if EA has something up their sleeve to force origin users of the game to the 1.69 patch in order to use the store. I'm going to page @igazor for their input on this issue

Did you try opening your launcher at desktop and get notice for the store patch? It's separate from the game patch though there is no download link for it. I always installed my game, opened the launcher at desktop and the launcher would add the store patch.
    igazor wrote: »
    There is no Patch 1.69 requirement to use the store. If they ever imposed one, they would be locking out players on Steam installations and those on Macs since they have no 1.69 to update to.

Origin is not a requirement at all with 1.67, does it need to be running at all? What happens if you start the game with a shortcut to ts3w.exe, as found in your base game's program files? That should still bypass both Origin and the Launcher in order to startup.

On the missing thumbnails, yes that is odd. In your TS3 user game folder in Documents, in DCCache, try deleting the two little files called dcc.ent and missingdeps.idx, along with any .tmp files that get stuck in there, as well as the usual five cache files on the main level of the TS3 folder. You might also try deleting the three files in Thumbnails, also in your Documents TS3 game folder. Then you will have no thumbnails at all briefly, but they should begin to regenerate as you play and use CAS hopefully without getting stuck again.

Thank you for paging igazor, and thank you igazor, for all your kind help with my Sims troubles.

The problem was very easy. I didn't know that the thumbnails are generated. I thought they came with installing, so I immediately got worried. But now I left them alone for some Sim-days, and when I looked again they were all there. :)

Thank you again!
    The problem was very easy. I didn't know that the thumbnails are generated. I thought they came with installing, so I immediately got worried. But now I left them alone for some Sim-days, and when I looked again they were all there.
    Glad that's all it was. They usually generate much faster than what you described, but I should have caught the part where you said you installed the entire store at once -- yes, that could cause quite a delay then. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @Aleta your welcome. Glad you fixed the problem . Enjoy your game