Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

There was an error during startup, please see the log for more details?!?!

This has been annoying me for 2 weeks. Every time my launcher opens I get this message saying "There was an error during startup. Please see the log for more details." This is really frustrating because I had to uninstall all my EPs THREE times and it still doesn't work. If someone could help that would be great.

Comments

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    Try temporarily moving your Sims 3 folder from My Documents \ Electronic Arts and put it on your desktop.

Then try to launch a game. You won't have any of your installed content or games in this new game as those files are in you Sims 3 folder on your desktop now. But that folder often gets corrupted and can cause problems.

If you find you are now able to successfully launch a game, then you will need to work out how much you can move from the folder on your desktop to your new Sims 3 folder. You will also need to reinstall your store content.
  • karenc567karenc567 Posts: 44 Member
    > @Karritz said:
    > Try temporarily moving your Sims 3 folder from My Documents \ Electronic Arts and put it on your desktop.
    >
    > Then try to launch a game. You won't have any of your installed content or games in this new game as those files are in you Sims 3 folder on your desktop now. But that folder often gets corrupted and can cause problems.
    >
    > If you find you are now able to successfully launch a game, then you will need to work out how much you can move from the folder on your desktop to your new Sims 3 folder. You will also need to reinstall your store content.
    But what about expansion packs? Do I put them on the desktop too?
    No.

The Sims ,3 folder you move is found in

My documents / Electronic Arts
    The Sims 3 folder I wanted you to move has your user data in it including your saved games and store content.

You shouldn't see anything in this folder that specifically relates to any expansion pack.
  • Addicted_To_SimsAddicted_To_Sims Posts: 3 New Member
    I have the same problem. I had it twice, once when I downloaded it from from the origin, and then I gave up and bought the pc disk version and it downloaded but it still says see the log for more details, and I also tried moving the sims 3 folder onto the desktop, didn't work, and I updated origin, computer has enough storage, uninstalled and installed the sims 3 about 4 times and nothing has worked for me. I have been waiting to play this game for 3 months, some one please help!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @Addicted_To_Sims - After installing either way, Disc or Origin, did you patch the game and by what method?
    https://help.ea.com/en/article/the-sims-3-super-patcher
    (if it says you are already up to date, make it run anyway)

If you already did that, or it was no help, you would have to post some information about your computer to see if there is an issue there that the Tech Responders can help with. A dxdiag would help; it would have to copied and pasted into several messages here as it would be too long to fit into one.
    https://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @igazor said:
    sorry I'm a noob with all this computer stuff but when u say patch, do you mean like update? becuase I updated everything that i could, origin, computer software. But if thats not it, then no. Well, my computer has a lot of space on it because I just totally erased everything before I even downloaded origin and the only thing I have is sims 4, some mods, origin and sims 3 and thats pretty much it. The dxdiag info
    Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1,Build 7601)
    Processor: Itel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B950 @2.10GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    Date: 5/10/2011 12:57:06 PM
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,453 Member
    Your computer has a weak processor and a integrated graphics card.

Since laptops cannot be upgraded in terms of a new processor or graphics card, the only option is to buy a new computer altogether. You do need a gaming computer for the Sims.

Gaming laptops range around $1,000 ($900 depending on sales).

Gaming desktops range around $600 (off-the-shelf), $700 (building your own), and $800 (custom).
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I would highly recommend getting a new computer. Your current computer wont cut it.
    You might be able to run the base game only on that laptop with graphics all on Low in Game Options,but possibly not for very long. Most of the EPs would be out of the question, I'm afraid.

As for patch updating, I meant the game itself. The Launcher (if you can get it started) will offer up patch updates and then mess up their installation. The link I provided was to the SuperPatcher that patches much more reliably. Here it is again, and again if it says you are already up to date, make it run anyway.
    http://help.ea.com/en/article/the-sims-3-super-patcher

But the others are right, you are likely facing more of a lack of computer processor and graphics power there than a patch level mismatch, especially with EPs in the mix.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor
    so I got it working, and played for a bit and don't ask me what I did because I don't know. I came back to play and it says that I have to install The Sims 3. I installed it and it says "instillation complete" on the bottom of origin but when I click the sims 3 game, it says install!
  • Paula44Paula44 Posts: 1 New Member
    Really annoyed with this game. My daughter loves it but now has the same error. Have tried patch suggestion above, still not working. Spent over £100 with expansion packs, pets and seasons added recently as xmas gifts. Reading other comments not sure if re-installing will work (can you re-use product keys anyway?) Any other suggestions please.
  • PlushKittyPlushKitty Posts: 23 Member
    This problem is usually caused by leftover registry keys. Firstly, try cleaning your registry using CCleaner (it's free to download) and if that doesn't work, then here's what to do:

1. Press the Windows key + R to open the run box.
    2. In the run box, type in regedit and press okay. User Account Control will pop up, just press okay.
    3. This will open regedit. Now, go into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Wow6432NODE -> Sims.
    4. In the "Sims" tab, you will see various folders named after Sims 3 EPs and SPs, including the base game.
    Delete any folders named after EP/SPs that you don't have installed right now.

This should clear up the problem!
  • EvieMay11EvieMay11 Posts: 1 New Member
    Guys there is no way to fix it you just need to buy a new computer i got this message aswell and i saved up for a new computer and installed everything and it worked also i recommend a gaming pc they are cheaper than laptops but they are good
  • yuuiyuui Posts: 88 Member
    > @PlushKitty said:
    > This problem is usually caused by leftover registry keys. Firstly, try cleaning your registry using CCleaner (it's free to download) and if that doesn't work, then here's what to do:
    >
    > 1. Press the Windows key + R to open the run box.
    > 2. In the run box, type in regedit and press okay. User Account Control will pop up, just press okay.
    > 3. This will open regedit. Now, go into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Wow6432NODE -> Sims.
    > 4. In the "Sims" tab, you will see various folders named after Sims 3 EPs and SPs, including the base game.
    > Delete any folders named after EP/SPs that you don't have installed right now.
    >
    > This should clear up the problem!

This worked perfectly for me! Hopefully it will help others :smile:
  • Tommy212Tommy212 Posts: 1 New Member
    Oh um sorry plush I need help with the last part, you said delete folders named after EP/SPs but I don't know what that means, sorry :(
  • Nyrrat_SimsNyrrat_Sims Posts: 49 Member
    EP = expansion pack
    SP = stuff pack
    I'm currently experiencing this problem as well. I tried to uninstall Into the Future, because it's making my game slow and i don't use it much anyway, but i couldn't find any "uninstall" button, so I just decided to delete the folder itself. Afterwards, i tried to open the game and it says "There was an error during startup, please see the log for more details." I tried doing what Karitz suggested, and it didn't work (I have now taken the folder off of my desktop). I know it is not and issue with my computer, and I'm looking for a solution that does not include downloading/installing mods or cc. Anyone able to help?
    edited December 2016
    I'm currently experiencing this problem as well. I tried to uninstall Into the Future, because it's making my game slow and i don't use it much anyway, but i couldn't find any "uninstall" button, so I just decided to delete the folder itself. Afterwards, i tried to open the game and it says "There was an error during startup, please see the log for more details." I tried doing what Karitz suggested, and it didn't work (I have now taken the folder off of my desktop). I know it is not and issue with my computer, and I'm looking for a solution that does not include downloading/installing mods or cc. Anyone able to help?
    The way to uninstall a computer program is through your Control Panel. Not by deleting folders from Program Files, if that is what you had done. You now have the program trying to call for ITF and erroring out because it's no longer there in its entirety. The previous poster was referring to folders of keys in the Windows Registry, not the Program Files.

Mods and CC have nothing to do with this. If you have no way to completely uninstall an EP the rest of the way, I think you will have to uninstall the entire game, clean the leftovers that you cannot see up with a program like CCleaner, and start over.
    https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Okay, I was afraid I would have to uninstall it all. I guess I should have checked the forums before doing what I did. What's done is done though, so seeing as an uninstall seems inevitable, is there anyway to save families? (I figure you just copy the file to a different location before uninstalling, but I figure I'd better check)
    Nevermind, after uninstalling the game properly it is functioning fine, thanks for your helpful comment @igazor
    edited December 2016
    Oh yes, sorry. The entire TS3 game folder, that is the one in Documents, should be pulled out first and saved someplace safe (Desktop, some other enclosing folder) so that the uninstall and reinstall shouldn't touch it or its contents. You may or may not be able to put the folder back in its entirety, but its components should be usable once you have a working game again. That is where your saved games, households, lots, etc. would be.

Edit: Okay not sure how I really helped but let's go with that. You're welcome. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Lauren0987Lauren0987 Posts: 1 New Member
    [quote="PlushKitty;c-14463270"]This problem is usually caused by leftover registry keys. Firstly, try cleaning your registry using CCleaner (it's free to download) and if that doesn't work, then here's what to do:

1. Press the Windows key + R to open the run box.
    2. In the run box, type in regedit and press okay. User Account Control will pop up, just press okay.
    3. This will open regedit. Now, go into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Wow6432NODE -> Sims.
    4. In the "Sims" tab, you will see various folders named after Sims 3 EPs and SPs, including the base game.
    Delete any folders named after EP/SPs that you don't have installed right now.

This should clear up the problem![/quote]

AMAZING. Thank you!!!!
  • NidhiB777NidhiB777 Posts: 21 Member
    This happened to me too, but I solved it within a few seconds by uninstalling all my EPs/SPs using Add or Remove Programs in settings of Windows 10. Worked like a charm.