Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anyone else "fake" seasons/holidays?

Does anyone else pretend that seasons and holidays exist in their games even though they don't? Lol. Here's what I do:

I pretend that 1 sim week = 1 season. So I play 1 week of summer, 1 week of fall, etc. Sometimes I make it 2 weeks = 1 season. Whatever doesn't feel too short or too long!

I update my sims' wardrobe at the beginning of each "season" or sometimes just at the beginning of spring (lighter clothes) and the beginning of fall (heavier clothes). I base their activities on the season - swimming in the summer, warming up at bonfires in the fall, staying mostly inside with the fireplace lit in the winter, etc.

I also keep my sim children home during the summer, using their vacation days. Sometimes they won't have enough vacation days to take off all 5 weekdays that week, in that case I just keep them home for part of the "season" either right in the middle or immediately before/after the surrounding weekends. I usually send my family on a vacation to granite falls at that time, too.

Tip that I recommend: looking at the wonderful simmer-created vacation homes in the gallery and using "bb.enablefreebuild" to put them on your sims' vacation lot. I sometimes send them on winter vacations and download Christmas cottages, or if I send a couple away for love day, I'll download a honeymoon house! There's summer family homes with pools, etc etc etc.

And holidays - I mimic the sims 3 holidays! I have my sims (usually on Saturdays) celebrate Leisure Day in the summer with a pool party/barbecue, a costume party in the fall with tons of decorations that I'll usually put up on like Wednesday or Thursday to enjoy them for a few days, Snowflake Day in the winter where I'll have a feast party and I usually decorate for Christmas during the entire "season"/week, and love day in the spring where I usually set aside an evening for my sim couples to have romantic date nights.

I also love to actually purchase gifts from one sim to another for snowlfake day/christmas and between couples for love day. I will have a husband buy his wife flowers or perfume, or maybe something big like a maid service for 1 week, a weekend getaway at granite falls in a honeymoon house, or if they have the space something big like a hot tub or a massage table. I will have the wife buy the husband a video game console, cologne, a gaming device, something like that. It all depends on their personalities. For snowflake day I like to get each of the kids/teens 1 item each, either from "santa" or from the parents to the child. Depending on the parents' and childrens' personalities and the financial situation, I get them some kind of toy or something cool for them. I recently celebrated snowflake day with a family that has a daughter who just became a child and I bought her the puppet theater. Sometimes I'll buy something big that will go to more than 1 child, like if there are 2 children and a teen I'll get a video game console for the 3 of them and maybe some little clutter item for each individually. Sometimes I also get teens a gift when they graduate highschool and age up.

I also like throwing birthday parties and baking cakes, decorating a bit, and as they get older I even enjoy taking them to restaurants to have a cake there following a family meal. I also go out to restaurants to celebrate graduating highschool/promotions.

What do you guys do for seasons, holidays, birthdays, etc?

Comments

• blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    No, I don't mimic seasons or holidays in game. I enjoy that content very much when it is in a seasons EP.

I don't see the point in Spooky Stuff and the free holiday content they add to the game every year as there is no context to them in game at the moment.
  • notetoself00xnotetoself00x Posts: 499 Member
    No, I don't mimic seasons or holidays in game. I enjoy that content very much when it is in a seasons EP.

I don't see the point in Spooky Stuff and the free holiday content they add to the game every year as there is no context to them in game at the moment.

Right!! I know a lot of people will put the seasonal items in game when it is that season in RL, but that's such a long time which is why I pretend in game otherwise those items are useless! Lol... I am so hoping that we get a seasons EP someday :)
  • kirasososweetkirasososweet Posts: 172 Member
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! But I change according to whatever is going on realistically. Like now, my Sims have all decorated for Christmas and all of their outfits are meant for winter. They decorated for Halloween and had Halloween parties as well. I do miss being able to open and exchange gifts though.
  • PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    I do fake seasons using the fall mod and the first snow mod. For spring and summer I just take off the mods. Each season lasts 5 days in my game :)
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    My lifespans are modded to give roughly a year aging for three Sim days. I'm trying to decide how to fit Christmas into it.
  • blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member

Right!! I know a lot of people will put the seasonal items in game when it is that season in RL, but that's such a long time which is why I pretend in game otherwise those items are useless! Lol... I am so hoping that we get a seasons EP someday :)

I play games to escape from the real world so it has never crossed my mind to mimic the current real life holiday in game.I don't do that because, I don't know, it would just feel fake if you know what I mean. I need the ingame context.

However, I love the holidays, weather etc. that come with season EPs. I think it would be a good idea if that content is ever released for this iteration if it had a UI option to allow players to manually trigger holidays so that they could choose to celebrate a holiday at the same time as the real life one.
  • plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    I have never, ever had a birthday in TS4.

I actually have no idea about them - in TS3 I had loads and loads of birthday parties.

I've just realised that I have never played a Sim long enough to probably get close to having a birthday.

I know that I have aged a baby up - to see what happens.

me sad now.
  • notetoself00xnotetoself00x Posts: 499 Member
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! But I change according to whatever is going on realistically. Like now, my Sims have all decorated for Christmas and all of their outfits are meant for winter. They decorated for Halloween and had Halloween parties as well. I do miss being able to open and exchange gifts though.

I love that too! My only thing is, I play sims waaaay too much, so if I went by real time holidays/seasons, then winter and Christmas would only come every like, 20 generations! Hahaha. Do you know what I mean? But that is awesome!!!
    I do fake seasons using the fall mod and the first snow mod. For spring and summer I just take off the mods. Each season lasts 5 days in my game :)

I've been wanting to try those mods out! That is cool that you use 5 days per season!! Do you also include holidays or just the weather changes?
    NRowe wrote: »
    My lifespans are modded to give roughly a year aging for three Sim days. I'm trying to decide how to fit Christmas into it.

Let me know what you come up with! I love to hear how everyone plays their game:)

I play games to escape from the real world so it has never crossed my mind to mimic the current real life holiday in game.I don't do that because, I don't know, it would just feel fake if you know what I mean. I need the ingame context.

However, I love the holidays, weather etc. that come with season EPs. I think it would be a good idea if that content is ever released for this iteration if it had a UI option to allow players to manually trigger holidays so that they could choose to celebrate a holiday at the same time as the real life one.

I see what you mean about escaping real life - I play for the same reason! Lol :) Yes that would be a wonderful option if that EP comes out in the future!!
    plopppo wrote: »
    I have never, ever had a birthday in TS4.

I actually have no idea about them - in TS3 I had loads and loads of birthday parties.

I've just realised that I have never played a Sim long enough to probably get close to having a birthday.

I know that I have aged a baby up - to see what happens.

me sad now.

Hahaha don't be sad! Do you normally play with aging off, or do you just switch to another household before they get old enough to have a birthday? I love birthdays! Though I do get sad when they age :( lol
  • plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    No, I just get bored and play Skyrim or something.

I come back to TS4 everytime there is a new SP/GP/EP - I then start a new game and repeat the process.

I just can't play long enough for a Sim to have a birthday.

I may never see one die of old age.

*sniff*

Still, there is always Skyrim and cheeseburgers.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I've used mods to change the look of the world to fall or winter. My sims rarely celebrate the holidays even when I'm playing the other sim series with real Seasons.

some screenshots of mine:
    tumblr_nyxl3pYAqr1ssiu0eo1_1280.png
    tumblr_nwuquci2Np1ssiu0eo2_1280.png
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I feel like since its endless summer in our games what is the point of faking them it doesn't feel like Christmas in my game without weather.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    @notetoself00x i really recommend them! I just can't stand the endless summer so these mods have improved my game 500%! I usually celebrate holidays too! I even have some stores that are exclusive to some seasons, like my Christmas tree shop:

tumblr_ohuyujfR0M1vc5980o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ohuyujfR0M1vc5980o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ohuyujfR0M1vc5980o3_1280.jpg

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I do not follow a shedule in my game. When I feel like playing a holiday, then I simply declare the day to be that particular holiday and when I want it to be a particular season, then I put in a snow or fall mod and the season I want is there. It's a sort of cinematic approach that focusses on the important scenes and glosses over the "boring" ones. So if Winter follows Summer, for example, for me it isn't as if fall never happened. Fall that sims year just wasn't interesting enough to get some spotlight/playtime.
  • kellzakellza Posts: 197 Member
    I have my sims celebrate 'Sim Christmas' the day before ours. Although I'm Australian I use the snow mod to make it wintery as well. I like the appeal of a white Christmas :D I miss the seasons from previous games as well - nice to have a change.
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    edited December 2016
    When I was a kid and played TS1, I faked holidays. I'd only put Christmas decorations up in December. Turned Landgraab Mall into a full-on Christmas shopping destination, complete with a mall Santa.

I also have a family right now in TS4 whose living room has had a Christmas tree up since about July, but that wasn't a conscious effort to fake a holiday. It was just mostly because I liked the look of it, and this is a LARGE extended family, so family get-togethers really do feel like a Christmas dinner.
    Post edited by kwanzaabot on
    wJbomAo.png
  • AceofSpades2231AceofSpades2231 Posts: 594 Member
    I just cant do it. It doesnt feel right to me. As someone who lives in a place where we almost always have a white christmas, it doesnt seem right to have a snowless christmas. Seasons is at the top of my wishlist for content
    eqnxTFN.jpg
    I love video games because of the things that I could never do in real life... For instance, in the sims you can get a job and a house.
    Origin ID: Mainmanvs100
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    No. I just can't be bothered to put in the effort to fake any more things in TS4. I used kiwisims snow mod a year or so ago and it made Granite falls in particular look charming but I'm sick of having to fake things in a simulator game.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    No. I don't play "holidays" irl, so don't bother with them in game either. Haven't in any of the games. Never sent kids trick or treating and in all the yrs I played 3, probably only ever threw 2 or 3 gift-giving parties. I'm not a holiday person I guess. They don't mean anything to me.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I don't really do christmas irl, nor in the game.

Right now, the game as it is, feels a lot like my part of Australia.
    Most of the weather here is sunny, and warm to hot.

That said, I'm not adverse to seasons being added to the game.
    Snow is a novelty to me. Haven't seen it since I was a toddler (used to live very close to the snowfields in Victoria.)
    Yes, it snows in parts of Australia, during winter, but christmas is always in summer.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,853 Member
    I do celebrate the holidays in my game but they don't always correspond to real life holidays. I just have them celebrate whenever I feel like it. I so love Christmas and couldn't imagine only celebrating once a year in my game.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    Yes, I kinda do pretend. I don't use mods to make the trees look orange or whatever. But I do have a shopping mall and I change the clothes they sell according to the season.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • CupcakeWitchCupcakeWitch Posts: 542 Member
    in sims freeplay, I did, even before the weather machine, because their days were our days. In TS4, I can't for some reason (don't even use the mods and I love mods). I'm waiting til seasons come out.
    If I do use the mods, I'll probably do it to match real time (like fall/winter IRL, than fall/winter in game). I don't feel like changing everyone's outfits so often (most of my sims have more than 1)
    tumblr_m5yfcmiKZM1r6uev5.gif

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Seems like a lot of work. I've seen people fake like the game has laundry or cars too. Not really my thing. When those features are added I'm sure I'll enjoy them. But until then I'll play like regular.
  • SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    Does anyone else pretend that seasons and holidays exist in their games even though they don't? Lol. Here's what I do:

I pretend that 1 sim week = 1 season. So I play 1 week of summer, 1 week of fall, etc. Sometimes I make it 2 weeks = 1 season. Whatever doesn't feel too short or too long!

I update my sims' wardrobe at the beginning of each "season" or sometimes just at the beginning of spring (lighter clothes) and the beginning of fall (heavier clothes). I base their activities on the season - swimming in the summer, warming up at bonfires in the fall, staying mostly inside with the fireplace lit in the winter, etc.

I also keep my sim children home during the summer, using their vacation days. Sometimes they won't have enough vacation days to take off all 5 weekdays that week, in that case I just keep them home for part of the "season" either right in the middle or immediately before/after the surrounding weekends. I usually send my family on a vacation to granite falls at that time, too.

Tip that I recommend: looking at the wonderful simmer-created vacation homes in the gallery and using "bb.enablefreebuild" to put them on your sims' vacation lot. I sometimes send them on winter vacations and download Christmas cottages, or if I send a couple away for love day, I'll download a honeymoon house! There's summer family homes with pools, etc etc etc.

And holidays - I mimic the sims 3 holidays! I have my sims (usually on Saturdays) celebrate Leisure Day in the summer with a pool party/barbecue, a costume party in the fall with tons of decorations that I'll usually put up on like Wednesday or Thursday to enjoy them for a few days, Snowflake Day in the winter where I'll have a feast party and I usually decorate for Christmas during the entire "season"/week, and love day in the spring where I usually set aside an evening for my sim couples to have romantic date nights.

I also love to actually purchase gifts from one sim to another for snowlfake day/christmas and between couples for love day. I will have a husband buy his wife flowers or perfume, or maybe something big like a maid service for 1 week, a weekend getaway at granite falls in a honeymoon house, or if they have the space something big like a hot tub or a massage table. I will have the wife buy the husband a video game console, cologne, a gaming device, something like that. It all depends on their personalities. For snowflake day I like to get each of the kids/teens 1 item each, either from "santa" or from the parents to the child. Depending on the parents' and childrens' personalities and the financial situation, I get them some kind of toy or something cool for them. I recently celebrated snowflake day with a family that has a daughter who just became a child and I bought her the puppet theater. Sometimes I'll buy something big that will go to more than 1 child, like if there are 2 children and a teen I'll get a video game console for the 3 of them and maybe some little clutter item for each individually. Sometimes I also get teens a gift when they graduate highschool and age up.

I also like throwing birthday parties and baking cakes, decorating a bit, and as they get older I even enjoy taking them to restaurants to have a cake there following a family meal. I also go out to restaurants to celebrate graduating highschool/promotions.

What do you guys do for seasons, holidays, birthdays, etc?

I usually don't do anything special for my legacy family (haha been kinda busy with as many kids as I've made them have), but this is an amazing idea and I really like it! I want to try doing that soon.
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • MoonsKisuMoonsKisu Posts: 97 Member
    I just recently decided to use the winter mod & I love the feeling it's given my game. If I do holidays I have them correspond to rl holidays. I tend to ignore them though.