Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

- The Sims 4 help, troubleshooting & BUG Thread -

Comments

• nikkicrwnnikkicrwn Posts: 2 New Member
    Hello! I've just gotten my brand new 2016 MacBook Pro 13 inch, 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB 2133 MHz, Iris graphics 550 1536 MB
    blah blah

Anyways, I'm not sure if it's just the software or the new humangous track pad on this thing but creating a sim is 🐸🐸🐸🐸 near IMPOSSIBLE all the fine tweaks you would make by clicking and dragging on a trackpad go from the smallest option to the largest option and no in between! I hope my description of the issue makes sense and :( I hope this can be fixed in a patch or something or if it's on my end let me know what I can do
  • sutivirus12sutivirus12 Posts: 110 Member
    edited December 2016
    nikkicrwn wrote: »
    Hello! I've just gotten my brand new 2016 MacBook Pro 13 inch, 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB 2133 MHz, Iris graphics 550 1536 MB
    blah blah

Anyways, I'm not sure if it's just the software or the new humangous track pad on this thing but creating a sim is plum near IMPOSSIBLE all the fine tweaks you would make by clicking and dragging on a trackpad go from the smallest option to the largest option and no in between! I hope my description of the issue makes sense and :( I hope this can be fixed in a patch or something or if it's on my end let me know what I can do

Congrats on your new MacBook Pro! I really want to replace my MacBook Air! :smiley:

On Macs (on my iMac and MacBook Air) the problem is really similar. But for me, instead of skipping from smallest to largest, it lags really bad. Don't worry, it's nothing to do with your trackpad. :smile:

I don't know whether the Sims team know yet, or if they'll even do anything about it.

Have you gotten into playing the game anyways? (Or have you just skipped making a sim, and built or etc)? If so, how does it run, and do you know what settings the game chose for your Mac? I'm really curious! :D
    thesims4galleryhousessignature_zps7u25o7vp.png
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    @nikkicrwn it may be to do with the Force Touch Trackpad. Have you played around with the settings in System Preferences to see if that helps?
    apple-signature.png
  • nikkicrwnnikkicrwn Posts: 2 New Member
    Congrats on your new MacBook Pro! I really want to replace my MacBook Air! :smiley:

On Macs (on my iMac and MacBook Air) the problem is really similar. But for me, instead of skipping from smallest to largest, it lags really bad. Don't worry, it's nothing to do with your trackpad. :smile:

I don't know whether the Sims team know yet, or if they'll even do anything about it.

Have you gotten into playing the game anyways? (Or have you just skipped making a sim, and built or etc)? If so, how does it run, and do you know what settings the game chose for your Mac? I'm really curious! :D

I had a macbook before a 2012 Pro 15 inch and I played this game seamlessly with that trackpad. But yes, it skips and also lags quite terribly.

Graphics-wise, it runs beautifully! I've played around with the settings but mostly I've kept everything on High except for useless things I don't particularly like such as reflections I turned to Low.

Other than mouse-use it doesn't lag at all. It's quite glitchy in some areas though, and the whole not being able to smoothly scroll or zoom or anything that requires the trackpad-- makes game play pretty unbearable. Also, I keep getting a glitch where I try to place a lot, the lot doesn't place- it just kind of freezes and wont let me do anything because it says "unable to do because placing blueprint". Then when I tried to take my sim on a date to the city it was asking me where I wanted to move -___-;; little things, frustrating.

@BluebellFlora
    I turned off "Forceclick with Hepatic Feedback" which seems to have made it at least a bit usable. Still not nearly where I'd like it to be...
    nikkicrwn wrote: »

I had a macbook before a 2012 Pro 15 inch and I played this game seamlessly with that trackpad. But yes, it skips and also lags quite terribly.

Graphics-wise, it runs beautifully! I've played around with the settings but mostly I've kept everything on High except for useless things I don't particularly like such as reflections I turned to Low.

Other than mouse-use it doesn't lag at all. It's quite glitchy in some areas though, and the whole not being able to smoothly scroll or zoom or anything that requires the trackpad-- makes game play pretty unbearable. Also, I keep getting a glitch where I try to place a lot, the lot doesn't place- it just kind of freezes and wont let me do anything because it says "unable to do because placing blueprint". Then when I tried to take my sim on a date to the city it was asking me where I wanted to move -___-;; little things, frustrating.

@BluebellFlora
    I turned off "Forceclick with Hepatic Feedback" which seems to have made it at least a bit usable. Still not nearly where I'd like it to be...

I didn't think the problem would've been with the trackpad. :P It sounds great that it runs good on High settings! :)

Would it be a possibility for you to use a mouse until the issue is fixed?
  • DeetoxicityDeetoxicity Posts: 20 Member

Apple 21.5inch Imac (late 2015)
    8GB ram
    1.6GHz dual‑core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz)
    Intel HD Graphics 6000

would this even be worth trying for the sims? It won't run on my laptop at all (it freezes)
  • GDbongGDbong Posts: 0 New Member
    Have been playing The Sims 4 on my Macbook Pro (Early 2013) ever since it's release and haven't been having any major issues. However I'm not sure if it's because of the latest patch that comes together with the latest Vintage Glamour stuff pack or because of macOS Sierra update, since I updated both almost at the same time, I have been having alot of issues with my games for the past 2 days.

First off it started with the game freezing at loading screens preventing me from entering into the game after selecting a playable household. Tried restarting my laptop, going offline on Origin, repairing the game and even removing all mods but this issue still persisted so I ended up reinstalling the game and even deleting the whole Sims 4 folder in the Electronic Arts folder.

Got the game back up and started everything all over again and for a few hours there wasn't any issues until my Sims started freezing. Background music stopped and my Sims that were in the midst of an action just got stuck. Cancelled the action and gave my Sim another action but they just remain stuck at where they are as time pass by and needs deplete. Tried using the resetsim cheat and that cause my Sim to do a little star jump but after that they still remained stuck. Was wondering that this could be due to 🐸🐸🐸🐸 mod cause this issue seems to begin after having used its' animations and removed it completely but the game still didn't work. Repaired the game but still to no avail. Also tried on some suggestions by other gamers to evict the household and move them into another house which actually granted me some game time (About 1 Sim Day) but after that everything froze again including neighbourhood Sims.

Some additional information that might be of help, all of these issues happened in San Myshuno but I've been playing with City Living since 23 November. As mentioned these issues only pop up since the 17th which is two days back so I'm really helpless.

Specs:
    Model: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013)
    Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
    Operating System: macOS Sierra Version 10.12.2
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    First of all, turn off Automatic Updates in the Origin Preferences. This gives you the option to update or not based on the Mods you normally use. Next, check the websites that host the mods you use and see if those mods have been updated to work with the latest patch. Please note that each patch from EA changes gameplay that may interfere with Mods and CC that have been designed to work on earlier versions of the game. Once the creator of the Mods gives the ok that the Mod still works with the latest patch, then go ahead and update your game. My guess is that one or more of your Mods is interfering with the latest update and you have to either play without CC or Mods until they are updated.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • LouiseenLouiseen Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi. I hope someone can help me. I had the Sims 4 on my MacBook Pro Retina 13" and it worked just fined. I've uninstalled it from this Mac, and installed it on my new iMac 27" 5K Retina. This is a brand new Mac, and a brand new Sims installation. When I start the game up I get an error message from Finder saying "The Sims cannot be launched" or something of this nature, but sometimes it still launches. However, after I see the resolution scaled to fit The Sims, the screen goes black and the music plays. Then nothing happens, I cannot move the mouse, I can't end the game through cmd + Q, it just kind of freezes without an error message. This iMac is a lot more powerful than my MacBook and should be able to run Sims without an issue. I have Sierra installed. iMac specs are 4 GHz i7, 32 GB RAM, 512 SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M390. I've tried repairing The Sims through the Origin App. Turned off Origin in-game features and tried it in offline mode. I've also restarted my Mac and completely shut down and started up the Mac. I also tried to see in Activity monitor if there was a thread still going for Sims but nothing. Could anyone help me?
    edited December 2016
    Louiseen wrote: »
    Hi. I hope someone can help me. I had the Sims 4 on my MacBook Pro Retina 13" and it worked just fined. I've uninstalled it from this Mac, and installed it on my new iMac 27" 5K Retina. This is a brand new Mac, and a brand new Sims installation. When I start the game up I get an error message from Finder saying "The Sims cannot be launched" or something of this nature, but sometimes it still launches. However, after I see the resolution scaled to fit The Sims, the screen goes black and the music plays. Then nothing happens, I cannot move the mouse, I can't end the game through cmd + Q, it just kind of freezes without an error message. This iMac is a lot more powerful than my MacBook and should be able to run Sims without an issue. I have Sierra installed. iMac specs are 4 GHz i7, 32 GB RAM, 512 SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M390. I've tried repairing The Sims through the Origin App. Turned off Origin in-game features and tried it in offline mode. I've also restarted my Mac and completely shut down and started up the Mac. I also tried to see in Activity monitor if there was a thread still going for Sims but nothing. Could anyone help me?

For the launch problem, could it be because you launch the game before opening Origin? That usually happens to me most of the time, when I open The Sims 4, and not Origin. It usually works fine after that.

For the black screen issue, I'll notify @BluebellFlora, as she should be able to help you out, as I have no clue why it's caused.
    It should make no difference whether you launch the game from your Applications folder/desktop shortcut/dock or from within Origin.

For the black screen (and if you have already tried playing without Mods/CC) go into Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 and drag the Options.ini file to the trash then try re-launching your game. If that doesn't work drag the whole Sims 4 folder to your desktop then try re-launching the game.

Turn off Origin in game too, that never plays well.
    apple-signature.png
  • JessicatMeow47JessicatMeow47 Posts: 1 New Member
    I've been able to start a couple sims and everything is fine for the consecutive hours that I play, until I quit the game and reopen it in the morning, and it crashes repeatedly in the first five minutes of playing. I've also created multiple other user files and had them crash within the first ten or so minutes of playing. Tried all of the troubleshooting techniques on the forum and on other website and can't figure it out.

Mac model (mid-2012 15" non-Retina MacBook Pro)
    Processor (2.3 GHz Intel Core i7)
    Memory (8GB RAM 1600 MHz DDR3)
    Graphics (Intel HD 4000 1536MB/NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512MB)
    Operating System (OS X Sierra 10.12.2)
    Official EA EPs/SPs/GPs installed (None)
    Do you have antivirus or clean up apps installed? If so what are they? (Dr. Cleaner)
    Are you running any background tasks? If so, what are they? (Chrome, Spotify, Messages)
    Do you have any CC/mods installed? No
    I've been able to start a couple sims and everything is fine for the consecutive hours that I play, until I quit the game and reopen it in the morning, and it crashes repeatedly in the first five minutes of playing. I've also created multiple other user files and had them crash within the first ten or so minutes of playing. Tried all of the troubleshooting techniques on the forum and on other website and can't figure it out.

Mac model (mid-2012 15" non-Retina MacBook Pro)
    Processor (2.3 GHz Intel Core i7)
    Memory (8GB RAM 1600 MHz DDR3)
    Graphics (Intel HD 4000 1536MB/NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512MB)
    Operating System (OS X Sierra 10.12.2)
    Official EA EPs/SPs/GPs installed (None)
    Do you have antivirus or clean up apps installed? If so what are they? (Dr. Cleaner)
    Are you running any background tasks? If so, what are they? (Chrome, Spotify, Messages)
    Do you have any CC/mods installed? No

The problem is your NVIDIA GPU, it's a known issue and listed in the bug post on this thread. Number 4 - http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13322755/#Comment_13322755

Get rid of the 3rd party clean up app, they do more damage than good.
    apple-signature.png
  • cloudphilosophercloudphilosopher Posts: 1 New Member
    So this happened to me yesterday, after I updated the newest version of sims 4…

Suddenly all of my families where moved out from their houses and they all are naked and hairless, and the houses where deleted. I still have all my saves (dates match on the saves), but could they be somehow unreadable?

I’ve tried a lot of stuff, changing the game files from place to place (they have always been on a seperate hard drive than on my mac. I reinstaled the game. Nothing seems to help…
    I just find it very wierd that I still have my families, but they are all unclothed and hair, but all their houses are deleted… One of my dead families is alive “and naked, hairless” in the household management, but in the game their are dead…

Today I also noticed that gameplay isn’t really working, playing on the “get to work” detective career, my poor cadet can’t find no clues, I spent her whole workday in the scene trying to find clues, but nothing…

Could the new updated messed up something, cause everything has worked super perfectly before.. So hopeless..
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Welcome.

First of all, we need some information about your Mac (i.e. information found under the Black Apple Logo). Secondly, what version of the OS are you running. And thirdly, do you use any CC or Mods? It could be that CC and Mods may be causing problems in your game.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • joshua92joshua92 Posts: 2 New Member
    I am having a very similar issue, but my people are still clothed. Basically my apartment in CityLiving has disappeared after my game crashed. I am running the latest version of Sierra, no CCs or Mods. Its happened twice, i seem to get about 4 days into the game (Sim time) and it crashes.
  • lovleady5lovleady5 Posts: 56 Member
    I keep having the "script call failed" error when placing my photo studio lights. The lights are all updated and everything... I can't fix it and I want to take nice pictures!
  • tricci_99tricci_99 Posts: 2 New Member
    I have been reading the forum all day for a solution but nothing seems to work.

I have been playing the Sims 4 no problem. Then last night my Sims began to not respond to commands and became stuck in their actions.

I have a MacBook pro from about 2013
    Version 10.8.5
    2.5 GHZ Intel core i5
    4GB 1600 MHZ
    Intel HD graphics 4000 512mb

I have tried logging out, shutting down computer. copying over saved games and deleting Sims 4 file then inputting saved games, changing lots, repairing in origin. Nothing works long term. My concern is playing my current game as I have worked hard on this one and don't want to loose my progress.

I have no issue getting into my game or out. My Sims are just stuck, help!!
  • tricci_99tricci_99 Posts: 2 New Member
    tricci_99 wrote: »

I have been playing the Sims 4 no problem. Then last night my Sims began to not respond to commands and became stuck in their actions.

Version 10.8.5
    2.5 GHZ Intel core i5
    4GB 1600 MHZ

I have tried logging out, shutting down computer. copying over saved games and deleting Sims 4 file then inputting saved games, changing lots, repairing in origin. Nothing works long term. My concern is playing my current game as I have worked hard on this one and don't want to loose my progress.

I forgot to mention I have no mods or CC!

Version 10.8.5
    2.5 GHZ Intel core i5
    4GB 1600 MHZ

Does it happen when you move out the Sims 4 folder from Documents > Electronic Arts and play a brand new game, without your previous saves?
    apple-signature.png
  • tricci99tricci99 Posts: 1 New Member

Version 10.8.5
    2.5 GHZ Intel core i5
    4GB 1600 MHZ

Does it happen when you move out the Sims 4 folder from Documents > Electronic Arts and play a brand new game, without your previous saves?

Hi BluebellFlora,

I just moved the folder onto my desktop and copied my saved games into another folder so I could start new. I played for about ten minutes with a new sim and there was not problem with the sims following commands and no lag with time. I have a feeling its an issue with my saved game. My concern is even if I start new whats to say I wont get far again and then it happens all of a sudden.
  • emilyandcolouremilyandcolour Posts: 13 New Member
    Hello!
    I have been playing the Sims for years and have had the Sims 4 installed on my Mac since it was released. I haven't had any issues until now. I do run my game with CC/Mods. After installing the toddler update, I went to run my game and it gets to the household loading screen and then crashes. I tried removing the mods, repairing the game through Origin, uninstalling the game, creating a new Sims folder, backing up my old files... It still crashes. I can't figure it out. I don't think it's a problem with mods because I don't have any furniture mods in my game and CAS works completely fine. I can make a sim and move them into a lot, but I can't do any gameplay other than that. Can someone help me?

MacBook Pro (Mid 2012)
    2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
    Hello!
    I have been playing the Sims for years and have had the Sims 4 installed on my Mac since it was released. I haven't had any issues until now. I do run my game with CC/Mods. After installing the toddler update, I went to run my game and it gets to the household loading screen and then crashes. I tried removing the mods, repairing the game through Origin, uninstalling the game, creating a new Sims folder, backing up my old files... It still crashes. I can't figure it out. I don't think it's a problem with mods because I don't have any furniture mods in my game and CAS works completely fine. I can make a sim and move them into a lot, but I can't do any gameplay other than that. Can someone help me?

MacBook Pro (Mid 2012)
    2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

What version of macOS are you running? Point 4 may be applicable to you - http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13322755/#Comment_13322755
    apple-signature.png
  • emilyandcolouremilyandcolour Posts: 13 New Member
    Thank you for responding! I am running on the newest Sierra OS, so that would definitely be the issue. I saw the thread that was linked to update the NVIDIA card manually, would I revert back to OS or update to the newest version?
    Thank you for responding! I am running on the newest Sierra OS, so that would definitely be the issue. I saw the thread that was linked to update the NVIDIA card manually, would I revert back to OS or update to the newest version?

Not sure what you mean. If you want to play the game in Sierra then you have to download and install the NVIDIA driver. If you don't want to do that then you need to wipe your hard drive and install a previous version of macOS.
    apple-signature.png