Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Owning 'The Sims' for the first time.

slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
Hello all, I just want to share my joy with you in playing the very first sims for the first time in 14 years.

When The Sims was out and popular, I was exposed to the game through many of my friends and I loved it. I got The Sims Deluxe for Christmas when I was 13, but our computer couldn't run it. So I sadly had to return it and haven't played it since.

I, of course, have gotten much enjoyment from Sims 2, 3, and 4. But, I got The Sims Complete Collection off of EBay a few days ago and sat down to truly play it on my own for the first time.

There is something about this game that makes it more fun and addicting than its successors.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share with everyone how happy I am to finally own and play the game that started it all.

Comments

• Options
    GodlikeGodlike Posts: 305 Member
    You're in for a delicious treat! Enjoy this awesome experience :)
    Lift me up - Let me go
  • Options
    SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    Awesome! I wish I had it, but idk if the issue with the update that disabled something it needs to run on my computer is still there or not.
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • Options
    surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    Ahh have fun!! It's so sad you couldn't play the game when you got it, but better late than never right!? :)
    I haven't played the original sims in ages... (But I recently found all the original discs for the game, just to lazy to install them all) but I know there's lots of awesome stuff to check out and do!
    Happy simming :smiley:
  • Options
    Awesome! I wish I had it, but idk if the issue with the update that disabled something it needs to run on my computer is still there or not.

Do you have Windows 10? I have Windows 10 and I had to do a couple of work-arounds to get it running.

I held off on buying the game for a few months now because I heard so many horror stories of it not working properly on Windows 10, but I took the risk anyways...it only cost me $30. If it didn't work on my laptop I have a few other older computers sitting around that I would have tried it on next.

But with a few google searches, I am now able to play perfectly. :)
  • Options
    @godlike Thank you, it has been wonderful so far.
    surraaaaaa wrote: »
    Ahh have fun!! It's so sad you couldn't play the game when you got it, but better late than never right!? :)
    I haven't played the original sims in ages... (But I recently found all the original discs for the game, just to lazy to install them all) but I know there's lots of awesome stuff to check out and do!
    Happy simming :smiley:

Yes! I got the Complete Collection, but I'm trying to do things one feature/expansion at a time. Right now I'm just doing the basic stuff, having my sim work her way up in her career and upgrade her home. I have gone downtown a few times, just to meet townies to make friends for her job.

After she gets a decent amount of simoleans in the bank, I want to get her a dog, send her on vacation, etc. Then have her find a man and have a kid, experiment with magic and rise to stardom. :D

Everyone talks about needs being insane in this game, but I don't see them as any more challenging than The Sims 2. What is the hardest for me is making and maintaining friends! Relationships are so hard in this game! But I love the challenge, something that is lacking in later versions.

I also thought that no aging would bother me, but it actually doesn't. It gives me the time and freedom to really take my time exploring all the features in this great, classic game. :)
  • Options
    surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    Omg I know the feeling, I got the sims 2 UC and Everytime I play I feel so overwhelmed like, what do I do!? Where do I start!?! Since s2 sims age. That no aging is going to help you out big time! One thing I definitely don't miss from the early games were needing friends for promotions, it's like that in the original sims if I remember right, right?
    Superstar and making magic were soooo much fun! You're in for a treat!
  • Options
    surraaaaaa wrote: »
    Omg I know the feeling, I got the sims 2 UC and Everytime I play I feel so overwhelmed like, what do I do!? Where do I start!?! Since s2 sims age. That no aging is going to help you out big time! One thing I definitely don't miss from the early games were needing friends for promotions, it's like that in the original sims if I remember right, right?
    Superstar and making magic were soooo much fun! You're in for a treat!

Yes, starting with The Sims 2 and always knowing aging, I could never understand other players who would say they liked playing with aging off or could not bear to see their sims die. To me, that's just how the game works. But lately, especially after playing The Sims, I am starting to see the appeal of no aging...it's like, I want certain sims of mine to accomplish certain things before I allow them to age. But that's the appeal of the game; you can play any way you want.

I'm not a big fan of needing friends for promotions either, but I understand the logic behind it. The more people you know, in a lot of life situations, the farther you get/the more influence you have.

After playing The Sims a little bit last night, I'm starting to get a better handle on relationships and have a nice little formula for making friends fast: inviting sims downtown. They love you instantly for it. But paying for cabs and to play pool, while realistic, is a slight drawback to that strategy.