Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game stuck on MAP LOADING SCREEN

GracefellGracefell Posts: 150 Member
Hey guys, my game gets stuck on the map's loading screen. (To specify, not the loading screen before the game, or before the town loads; Mine happens when you click edit town).

I tried deleting caches, but it doesn't seem to work.
I've also changed my save file (Renamed the backup save file, so I can use it.)

Can anyone give me some tips?

https://postimg.org/image/9x6f3owwr/

Thanks.

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Have you been playing the game a long time and this just started or is this a new install?
  • GracefellGracefell Posts: 150 Member
    @phoebebebe13 Thanks for answering! I've been playing a long time.
    How big is your save? Are you playing with CC or mods? Have you downloaded anything recently? Does this happen if you try to start a new game?
    @phoebebebe13 Hi Phoebe! Sorry--- I've been absent! I do have CC, and some mods---but I've been playing with them before for half a year, so I don't know why they'd crash now.

I'll try to see what happens if I start a new game.

My save size is 85 MB
    Are you using save or save as option? If using save, check your save files for any games with "Bad" on the end of them . Documents>Electronic Arts>The Sims 3>Saves. Delete any bad saves you might have

If not using save as, this is a better option for saves. It gives you a new clean save instead of overwriting the old save. You just rename the file. Also there is less chance of getting a corrupt save. It also permits you to go back to a prior save should a save mess up. If you are using this method of save as, make sure you don't have too many saves in your launcher as this can cause game problems. I usually keep no more than 10 saves in my launcher.

also try deleting your Cashe Package files. It cleans the game and gets rid of some bugs. These are temporary files and regenerate every time you start your game. I delete them every time I play. http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Sims_3_Delete_Cache_Files

Thanks Phoebe. I didn't know about Save-As, and I'll use it down the line.

I deleted my cache files before, and I don't have a ".bad" save (I even used the backup).
    edited December 2016
    Your welcome. You may still have a bad save. Is the game installed on C drive? If so how much room do you have on the drive the game is installed on ? You should leave at least 50 gb free while playing this game.

Also what patch are you on? If 1.69 you do need to check off each ep in the launcher every time you play.

Did you try a new game and did it start?

Just thinking of everything that could cause the game not to start
  • KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    Just to specify, your game is still loading up normally, but you can't go into EditTown, right?

When you say you deleted the cache files, did you delete your WorldCache files as well? Don't do this if you're on a Mac, but it might help if you're on Windows.

Have you tried starting a new game and going into EditTown with that? (By 'starting a new game' I mean drag your The Sims 3 folder to a safe location and let the game generate a new one.)
    If that works normally, it's definitely an issue with your current save.

You could try copying the save game from the old The Sims 3 folder into the new one (copy, don't move it there - it's better to keep a back-up just in case).
    You can load it up and you'll get all kinds of 'missing objects' errors, but if this version does go into 'edit town' you at least have narrowed it down to a problem with your cc (Store or third party).

@phoebebebe13 Hi Phoebe, sorry, went absent for a day to check on other worlds. I seem to still freeze.

I have tried installing the game on both the C and E drive, and neither work. I have plenty of room on both though.

My game is fully updated.
    I started a new game, and it did start, but after a while it'd freeze on the map screen.

I also tried reinstalling the game.

Thank you for staying this long!
    @KarinL

Yes, sometimes when I go into EditTown the game will freeze, but I can get into the game.

I deleted WorldCache files.

I tried copying backups.

----

"I mean drag your The Sims 3 folder to a safe location and let the game generate a new one.", I'm sorry, I'm a tad confused by that statement. Do I drag my entire Sims 3 folder to the desktop? Or my old save?
    @Gracefell can you please post your computer specs so I can get a better idea of what might be going on

Windows key + R Key will open your run box. In the run box in your bottom right hand corner type DxDiag. Hit ok, let it load and save a copy of the text file to desktop. Open the text file at desktop and copy and past the DxDiag in several sections in several posts. The report is very long and will not fit in one post. You can also upload the DxDiag to pastebin http://pastebin.com/ and post a link here if that is easier for you. Thank you
    http://pastebin.com/2BJyadtS

@Phoebebe13 Is this the right file? Thank you!
    edited December 2016
    @Gracefell Your welcome .Yes it is and your computer specs are fine however your hard drives are very low. You should have the game installed on E drive and you must leave at least 50gb free space at all times when playing this game. This maybe why your game is not starting

Drive: C:
    Free Space: 23.0 GB
    Total Space: 114.0 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: PNY CS1311 120GB SSD ATA Device

Drive: D:
    Free Space: 0.1 GB
    Total Space: 0.3 GB
    Model: WDC WD10EZEX-22RKKA0 ATA Device

Drive: E:
    Free Space: 21.8 GB
    Total Space: 953.1 GB
    Model: WDC WD10EZEX-22RKKA0 ATA Device
    @phoebebebe13

I'll try that out, and report back maybe after a few hours of running. Thank you!
    @phoebebebe13 I may come back to this on and off. Finals are going on, so sorry for some rude absence C:
    No problem Finals come first. Good luck!
    @phoebebebe13

I had some time to check. I have 263 GB free (out of 930 GB), but it seems to still not be working.
    You cleaned some of your E drive out? Here it states you only have 21.8 GB free

Drive: E:
    Free Space: 21.8 GB
    Total Space: 953.1 GB
    edited December 2016
    @phoebebebe13 I have the game installed on the E Drive, and cleaned things out. I have 274 free atm, after clearing out one more thing.

I suppose I only have 16.5 GB free on my C Drive, if that counts for anything?

(I'm going to get a crash analyzer to try to help out)

edited December 2016
    at this point I would try resetting your game. Documents>Electronic Arts>Sims 3. Pull that sims 3 file to desktop , start the game it will generate a new sims 3 file. See if the game will start without issues.

Have you changed your security on your PC? What security are you using ?

My guess at this point is you might have an out of date mod. At this point you may need @igazor our mod expert.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2016
    @phoebebebe13 - The OP is not having problems starting their game. They are having problems getting into Edit Town. If C is where Windows is running from, I would take a look at that. Especially if the swap file is using C as well. That seems way too tight (although not sure fixing that is going to make Edit Town work suddenly, that could also have been a bad save or one gone corrupt).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @igazor I still think it could be a corrupt save why I told them to reset game. Thought they might need you if reset game does not help.
    edited December 2016
    @Phoebebe13
    @Igazor

Finished finals. I tried recreating a new sims file, but it didn't work. I *haven't* tried starting a game in a Vanilla town yet, but I've tried it in two custom towns (Wild Wild West, Praaven), and they still seem to crash.

Could there be instances where custom worlds don't work any longer? Other people seem to still be successful with them. To be honest, I would like to try to still use these worlds if they're the problem, or fix my game overall if it's broken--the Vanilla worlds are really boring to me. Thank you so much, guys! You've really been helpful for such a long time!

((I've also tried reinstalling the game again))
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2016
    Do you still only have 23 GB free on C? Could be mistaken, but if this is where Windows is installed and where your swap file (virtual memory) is, I still think that's way too tight to function properly even if the game itself is really running from E.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @Igazor You're correct, I have 23 GB. I am running from E. I'll try cleaning up some space!