Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

♦ The Gifting Directory ♦ Happy 11th Anniversary!

Comments

• TamaekTamaek Posts: 440 Member
    OMGOSH I'm so sorry @Skymyst I forgot to thank you yesterday! Thank you very much for the wonderful gift and the message, they made me smile!

And thank you @charlotteprice for the gifts today! ^_^
    As of 12-18-16 I joined the Own The Store Club! Now I get to pay it forward! Thanks to everyone who helped me get here. You guys are amazing. ^_^ Love to you all!! <3

Looking to make the most of your Simpoints and maybe make some great friends along the way?

Check out the DD Rotation Thread for tips, tricks, tools and the whole DD rotation schedule.

Need a little help owning the store or want to help others? Head over to The Gifting Directory!
  • JovialJoyJovialJoy Posts: 251 Member
    Me1620 wrote: »
    ...I have been quiet lately compared to how much I usually participate, especially in the DD thread. You are correct that things are hectic in OE...

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate! The manual sounds interesting, but that must entail a lot of technical writing. I don't think I'd feel much like posting in the forums after that either. I found I felt pretty taxed while simply learning how to do a proper paraphrase in one of my English courses. :#
    Me1620 wrote: »
    ...I remember seeing Pong at Sears back in the 70s. So many of my friends would line up to play. There was no way our parents were going to spend a few hundred dollars for a video game. I shudder to think how much my kids and I have spent on consoles, PC games and video games.

I kind of miss the days of Arcades. I know they still exist in some communities, but it's kind of a niche market now. Not that they were cheap entertainment! It was easy to go through money pretty fast. Still, I know I've spent way more on just virtual content. Sometimes I cringe thinking of how much I've spent on content for the virtual worlds There and Second Life. Those are games I don't even play any more--and the content exists solely online. :|

Speaking of which ... sometimes I think it's so weird that we pay X amount of dollars for something physically intangible--to be able to download something (a game) from the internet. Personally, I still try to acquire a hard copy, or make my own, whenever possible.

AuzzPanda wrote: »
    @JovialJoy HAHAHA, does Purble Place bother you? LOL

Yeah, Purble Place bothers me! :p Maybe I'd appreciate it if I had kids? But it's just wasting space on my small hard drive--space that I could really use right now.
    OML. She's adorable! AWW. Ugh I just love animals so much. I could watch hens walk all day. Lol.
    Debeaking sounds horrible, what's the purpose behind it? Does it hurt the hen?

Thank you! I love animals, too. And it cracks me up when they run, I always think of a T-Rex or Velociraptor. :D

Debeaking is done in an effort to prevent chickens from plucking themselves or other birds. That can happen when birds are constantly caged or cooped up or living in overcrowded conditions. They get anxious and bored. It can also happen at feeding time, because they're very territorial over food.

The practice is typically done in chickhood. It's not known for sure if it hurts after it's been done, but it's speculated that it may cause permanent nerve damage and pain. And at the very least, it really complicates life for them and makes them more dependent on people to survive.

Debeaked chickens have a really hard time free ranging (that's eating whatever they can find in their outdoor surroundings). That's because their beaks don't come to a point and close all the way at the tip. So they have a hard time catching bugs or holding onto them if they do catch some. And when they're grain fed, it takes them longer to eat because half of it falls out of their beak.

Since she doesn't have that long pointed beak and it's pinpoint accuracy, Little Old Hen has to stick her face in the dirt more than other birds to be able to pick out bugs. Then her nostrils get partially clogged. And because of the physiological construction of her body, there's nothing she can do about it. So when we first got her, I had to pick this poor girl's nose so that her breathing was unobstructed. But she seems to have since figured out how deep to go into the dirt--so this doesn't really happen too much any more. And when we supplement the chickens' diets with grain and seed, we segregate her to make sure she's able to get her fill without being pushed out by the other chickens.
    The picture looks really nice. As if it were a perfectly talented painting. It's like got a bloom effect coming from each angle.

That's the crazy grass here in Florida. We don't have normal lawn grass. It's a combination of different small green plants. Some of it reminds me of what we would call "crab grass" in the Pacific Northwest: that's a weed.
    My Top Five | My Wishlist

If you aren't already stalking the Daily Deals, you should be! Visit these threads to get Store items and Sets with the greatest possible discounts:
    DAILY DEAL (DD) ROTATION AND SALES HELP
    CASCADES & DAILY DEALS- GETTING THE BEST BANG FOR YOUR SP
    FREE ITEMS FROM "THE SIMS 3 STORE"
  • AuzzPandaAuzzPanda Posts: 1,235 Member
    @JovialJoy
    Aw rofl. But can your PC at least handle TS3?

Haha yeah! Ever since I played with dinosaurs on Zoo Tycoon, all birds remind me of them when they run. But then again, so does my mother.

Oh okay. It's nice that they don't fight at least, but it really does sound hard for the hen. Poor thing! And that there's no fix... How old is she actually?
    Does it rain a lot in Florida? I remember when it would rain in Australia ALL the insects would go swarming into the house! It was worse than zombies on TS3 full moon. Lol. But yeah, if it's like that over there maybe it would help her. Does she have a name? :)

Ooh, I know that type of grass you mean. It's great for photos! Not so good for lying down on it haha. Ouch
    23rif7.gif
    Aw thank you so, so much @Hoplass ! Wow things are getting so green now. Hehehee. *ticks of long list of parchment*
    This is Christmas's way of repaying me from the time my wish list on a balloon got stuck on an electrical wire. xD
    23rif7.gif
  • Jude525Jude525 Posts: 1,699 Member
    @JovialJoy the beak thing sounds horrible. It's like the reverse of fixing a cleft palate. I HATE Persian cats and Pugs for the same reason. We've deformed these animals to the point where they require extreme care in order to prevent major health issues, and just to suit some human sense of esthetics. *ugh* Give me a nice healthy American short hair or pound mutt any day!

@AuzzPanda I'm a big dinosaur/bird person as well. From the early years of paleos theorizing the connection between the two I was always pro. It just made so much more sense than giant lizards. Then they started finding evidence of feathers and almost everybody jumped on board. Now I regularly refer to birds as dinosaurs just for fun!
    aka Jude
    I own the store as of 1+7/17/17

My Studio

My build thread in the Creative Corner
  • GREENEYAGREENEYA Posts: 7,796 Member
    From my TOP 5!

@charlotteprice thanks for the Mainframe Double Bed and X-Pl4y-4rc4d3 !!! <3

I love this items ( perfect for Oasis Landing ). Thank you!!! :)

I have updated my Top 5 list HERE :D
    edited December 2016
    @JovialJoy
    Aw rofl. But can your PC at least handle TS3?

I've got TS3, Late Night, High End Loft Stuff, and maybe half of of the build stuff and female hairs installed! But I keep getting alerts that my disk space is "very low." I only have a 60 GB hard drive. :# It doesn't help that I have two operating systems installed right now. I should just remove Linux Mint. But I keep hoping I can just get a new laptop before that's needed.
    Haha yeah! Ever since I played with dinosaurs on Zoo Tycoon, all birds remind me of them when they run. But then again, so does my mother.
    JoeJude16 wrote: »
    I'm a big dinosaur/bird person as well. From the early years of paleos theorizing the connection between the two I was always pro. It just made so much more sense than giant lizards. Then they started finding evidence of feathers and almost everybody jumped on board.

Hah! It makes sense to me given their body composition.
    Oh okay. It's nice that they don't fight at least, but it really does sound hard for the hen. Poor thing! And that there's no fix... How old is she actually?
    JoeJude16 wrote: »
    The beak thing sounds horrible. It's like the reverse of fixing a cleft palate.

There's no fix. I suppose someone that's really clever could design a prosthetic beak? And yeah, it's very much like that, Jude, and it's awful. It broke my heart when I learned about the practice. :'( And it was one of the things that really turned me off to Big Ag.
    Does it rain a lot in Florida? I remember when it would rain in Australia ALL the insects would go swarming into the house! It was worse than zombies on TS3 full moon. Lol. But yeah, if it's like that over there maybe it would help her. Does she have a name?

Florida is a subtropical climate; there is lot of rain and there are a lot of bugs! And I'm sure it does help Little Old Hen (that's her name) fair a little better with her trimmed beak. As her name indicates, she's older. But how old, we don't really know. We're not sure how old she was when we got her. We're guessing she's somewhere between 3 and 5 years old. And backyard chickens tend to lay for about five years on average and live about nine years. So she might be hitting retirement soon. She definitely hasn't been putting out many eggs lately.
    Post edited by JovialJoy on

If you aren't already stalking the Daily Deals, you should be! Visit these threads to get Store items and Sets with the greatest possible discounts:
    Thank you so much for lowering my CYS for the Futureshock Bedroom, @Hoplass!

• HoplassHoplass Posts: 369 Member
    Happy to help!
    Thank you for trying to gift me the hair @simgeek79 but alas it did not work. :( But it is the thought that counts! ;)

Debeaking sounds positively awful. I agree with you @JoeJude16 about animals that people deform just to make them meet some aesthetic standard. It's like tail clipping (I believe they call it) for dogs, where they deliberately shorten the tails just to make them sleeker. Ugh! It is a repulsive practice.

I love my Magic (Black Magic actually). She's a long haired black green-eyed cat that's a blend of a short hair and a Norwegian Forest Cat. Her brother, my sister's cat, Snoogles (don't ask lol I call him Mister Snoogles) looks just like a Norwegian Forest Cat. They both have some of the typical traits of the breed like tufts of fur between their toes and in their ears and their build though he has a lot more fur and she's pretty furry herself. Their other sister (same litter) is a short hair striped tabby named Tiggy (Tigeress). Most people find it hard to believe they are related much less from the same litter. We think they have two different fathers. There were two other cats in the brood, another black cat but with sleek short fur and a big blue short hair that looks like his mother; my mom kept both of them.

I used to have a pet rooster growing up. We lived in a small town, not quite farmland but the town over from the farmlands. Some bratty kids in the neighborhood had taken him and tied him to a tree and pulled all of his tail feathers out. My sister and I found him and told our dad who went rescued him (he grew up on a farm). He brought him home and cleaned him up and fed him and he just stayed with us. He was young, maybe a year or two when we got him. When his feathers grew back they were pretty, kind of like green oil in the sunlight and he was white and brown. Dad called him "Dumb-Cluck" sometimes DC for short. When it rained he would sit under the bed of my dad's truck and in the day time he would sort of fly-jump himself up onto to our porch roof and if you came outside he would dive down onto you to ride on your shoulder. I had to be careful though because sometimes he would peck at my hair if was loose and moved too much in the breeze. And he would attack anyone who even acted like they would hurt my family. Sadly after a mean lady moved into the neighborhood and kidnapped him and caged him up in her backyard in a tiny bird cage (my mom rescued him) we had to build him a coupe to keep him from wandering too far. It was pretty big but one night a possum got him and killed him. Poor thing. He was a surprisingly good pet. We had him for a few years. Your Little Old Hen reminded me of him, @JovialJoy. I'm glad that you took her in and give her the special treatment she needs. All they need is a TLC and they can be good company. Turns out chickens are much smarter, and braver, than people give them credit for. ^_^
    As of 12-18-16 I joined the Own The Store Club! Now I get to pay it forward! Thanks to everyone who helped me get here. You guys are amazing. ^_^ Love to you all!! <3

Looking to make the most of your Simpoints and maybe make some great friends along the way?

Check out the DD Rotation Thread for tips, tricks, tools and the whole DD rotation schedule.

Need a little help owning the store or want to help others? Head over to The Gifting Directory!
    @JovialJoy
    Oh that stinks. Investing in a good gaming computer is definitely worth it though I say.

-That's so sad..
    About the eggs that she did lay, what's of them? Did they make a fulfilling breakfast? ;)

@Tamaek
    Oh GOD that is SO heartbreaking!! I completely forgot what it's like to feel right now holy shizzledings that is SO sad. Now I just really want a Hen/Rooster to look after..
    23rif7.gif
    Thank you soooo much @simgeek79!!! Yeah they totally went through this time! WOAH!!!

edited December 2016
    Tamaek wrote: »
    Debeaking sounds positively awful.

One last word on debeaking and then I'll get off my soapbox: if you guys ever should come across the argument that the practice is akin to people trimming their fingernails--please don't listen to that justification as it's absolutely untrue. Unlike fingernails, there is soft TISSUE in the beak and a cluster of nerve endings in the tip; it's supposed to be the most sensitive part of the beak. So regardless of what physical response we can see from the chicken (their inability to express pain in a way that makes sense to us), it likely does hurt them and I imagine very much. I've heard it compared to us not clipping our fingernails but having our fingertips CUT OFF. Functionally, it works the same way; they can no longer pick things up with ease.

@Tamaek , I liked hearing about your cats and rooster. I don't have one any more, but I grew up with cats and have always been a cat lover. And it sounds like your dad has a soft heart and a love for animals.

Now I just really want a Hen/Rooster to look after..

@Tamaek is right, they are smarter than people give them credit for. I was actually surprised by some of the things I learned about them when we first got our chickens. I thought they were basically like goldfish on land. But they do still have tiny brains. (However some breeds are smarter than others.) So you'll find they don't have the longest memories or such good problem solving skills. And much like the rest of the animal kingdom, their reason for being typically centers around food. Motivate them with a treat, and you'll find them trying to get around whatever obstacle stands in their way.

And they do make fun and functional pets. You can even cuddle them--although you might want to make sure they don't have chicken mites first. (Otherwise you'll find a surprise in your hair.) However, unlike cats and dogs, they won't typically come to you for attention, companionship, or fun. They're not social creatures that way. Again though, if you have food, or they think you're coming to give them food, they will follow you around like the most loyal dog you could ask for. But they'll also peck you! It doesn't usually hurt.

• shaliny1997shaliny1997 Posts: 646 Member
    edited January 2017
    Here's my top 5:
    1. Linear Loveseat
    2. Shirt and collar
    3. Runway Dress
    4. Now and Then Century Manor
    5. Deliciously Indulgent Bakery

http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=shaliny1997

Happy Simming! :blush:
    Post edited by shaliny1997 on
  • melissalungumelissalungu Posts: 655 Member
    Updated....because I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!
    If you have spare points as you own the store, why not spend them on me? Haha!!! My wishlist

My thank you thread

My profile

My Top 5 store items :smile:
  • AstreiaAstreia Posts: 262 Member
    @JovialJoy I had never heard of debeaking before. It sounds insane!

My family usually adopts cats and dogs that are frequently abandoned near your houses, at summer and Christmas many people abandon their pets so they can go on holiday. Last time we picked up 7 cats in less then a week. A mother and 4 kittens and two other female cats.
    Our dogs were also in the same situation and the only one of them not a stray was a boxer with pedigree that my brother always wanted to have. He died of limphoma, a common disease for that breed, and always had problems breathing. The others were and are much heathier.

I've updated my top5.
  • taratownietaratownie Posts: 167 Member
    edited July 2017
    I have everyhthing I want from the Store. Thanks again for all who helped!
    Post edited by taratownie on
    I have everything I want from the Sims 3 Store. Thanks again for everyone who helped <3
  • Jude525Jude525 Posts: 1,699 Member
    So cool. Had a few runs of ads today. Up to 1,375 SP so far, and it's only 8:30! Yay!
    aka Jude
    I own the store as of 1+7/17/17

My Studio

My build thread in the Creative Corner
  • simgeek79simgeek79 Posts: 2,173 Member
    Yay! Glad to hear @Tamaek :p Enjoy all your new hair!
    I now Own the Store!!...Thank you to everyone who helped me get here <3

Are u new to the Store? Then check out: the Daily Deal Thread
    - Cascades & Daily Deals & Love Kids Stuff? Check this out!
  • taratownietaratownie Posts: 167 Member
    edited December 2016
    Thank you @JoeJude16 for String of Inspiration (Wall) and @charlotteprice for wedding dress and suit, Maid of Honor Chair and Bohemian Garden hair! <3

My top 5 is updated :)
    Post edited by taratownie on
    I have everything I want from the Sims 3 Store. Thanks again for everyone who helped <3
  • BreazonaBreazona Posts: 1,335 Member
    ....My top five
    sims 2&3 my beloved♥
    edited December 2016
    Thank you so much, @Teanias!
    Post edited by JovialJoy on

• TeaniasTeanias Posts: 2,160 Member
    You welcome @JovialJoy enjoy!

Sorry I haven't been able to come on to chat lately from about 1 pm until 7pm I am watching my 1 year old grandniece-in-law almost every day now! Somewhere in that time was the normal time I came on here so I have to figure out a new time to come on! I have kept up on trying to watch what adds I could though so there is that! Also once I get them loaded and the pictures ready I'll have some dragon valley type builds for everyone as well!
    It's good to hear from you again @Teanias and thank you for the Kilt and the amusing message. It should be interesting to see sims wearing it, lol. ;)

• TeaniasTeanias Posts: 2,160 Member
    edited December 2016
    Your welcome @Tamaek if you want to get a quick look at a sim in a kilt I did make one of my favorite storybook couples into sims here is a link to them!
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8902753
    Here is a link to their story where I entered them in a contest!
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14804964/#Comment_14804964

There is another kilt that comes with dragon valley to but I didn't have it when I made Jamie!
    Post edited by Teanias on