March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why does the sims 4 get boring after awhile?

Comments

• DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    The Sims 4 is the first game where not only am I getting bored from having more game play available over the years (due to the fact I felt like this was only done to improve the naked base game that deserved it's own nude beach cause that's what you would have found in the original release.....nothing), but I simply don't want to play anymore cause it lacks creativity and soul. Even in the very beginning there was less gender equality I felt like cause men were banned from using make up with the exception of alien make up and eyeliner until the gender breaking patch appeared this past summer. Well ok it took two years for men to be considered equal but ok what about check boxes telling me what to do on dates and parties, what about you taking my story telling game play feature with the memory system which to this day I'm upset about cause it was literally uncalled for.....I'm quitting cause The Sims 4 is how EA plays and no longer about what I want.....so yeah I'm bored. Bored of "instructional gameplay"!
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Gucci wrote: »
    Eh. Just got off it right now. Had to restart my game cause of the continuous lag that came out of no where. After you restart your game it gets instantly BORING. I don't like buying expansion packs cause I feel like that content should've already been in the game from the jump. I'm not giving them anymore obey till I feel like they deserve it lol.

You might also want to wait till you can play on settings that don't cause lag. Most of the lag we see reported in the Tech category here is a result of playing on a relatively low-spec computer - the game demands a lot from both CPUs and GPUs.
    Scrolled to the top of my screen there to check if I hadn't accidently opened the Sims 3 section.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Eh. Just got off it right now. Had to restart my game cause of the continuous lag that came out of no where. After you restart your game it gets instantly BORING. I don't like buying expansion packs cause I feel like that content should've already been in the game from the jump. I'm not giving them anymore obey till I feel like they deserve it lol.

You might also want to wait till you can play on settings that don't cause lag. Most of the lag we see reported in the Tech category here is a result of playing on a relatively low-spec computer - the game demands a lot from both CPUs and GPUs.
    Scrolled to the top of my screen there to check if I hadn't accidently opened the Sims 3 section.

It's a myth that Sims 4 isn't demanding at all. It is.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

It's a myth that Sims 4 isn't demanding at all. It is.
    Yes it is, I know it is, I needed a new computer to be able to play it ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    Because the game was originally designed to be an online multiplayer game, with an added story mode. Nothing about TS4 represents what the others have, because their vision for the game originally was something completely different that nobody was asking for.

IMO there are too many downgrades compared to The Sims 3. We were sold this game while being given the impression that it truly was a great successor, and as far as I'm concerned it falls flat. Everything is a grind, and it's super repetitive. CAS and Build mode are the only real improvements to me. Gameplay is incredibly over the top, boring, and the game operates in ways that truly put me off from playing.

Several of my simmer friends irl want nothing to do with 4, because it's subpar compared to what the other games offer. They stick with Sims 2 & 3.

Well said. The real killer for me is how lifeless and boring the sims themselves are, which would have made sense for an online game as you the player would have been giving life and personality to the sims interacting with other players. There just isn't any depth to the game play. Too many downgrades from TS3 combined with being the leftovers of an online game leaves the game feeling pretty hollow.
  • lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    TBH I have never had a game which I didn't get bored of. I can only play a game for so long till it starts getting repetitive. I have played all the Sims games and the worst was Sims 3 and I play the Sims 4 far longer but after 1 - 2 months it'll start feeling old but I stop playing for a month and go back to it and enjoy it all over again. Right now im playing Runescape but I know that in a month I'll be over it and probably get back into another game.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited October 2016
    The issue with Sims 4 can be summed up in two words: replay value.

If you've played one sim in this game, you've played them all. There's nothing seperating one Sims from the next. The traits don't make a sim feel unique, the aspirations don't make a sim feel unique, the whims don't make a sim feel unique.

I agree with DeservedCriticism.
    There isn't much replay value which leaves you with looking forward to the next EP/GP/SP for new experiences.
    Traits should matter a lot more than they do, giving the same experiences a different feel, depending on the sim. It's more work than I think EA is willing to do.

I will also add that nothing compelling comes from your daily game play. Things that your sim's have done in the past will not have much impact on the future. There is no real history and yesterday's incidents are quickly forgotten. There are no surprises and not much risk/reward situations.

Game play is still too linear and directive, with not much opportunity for simmers to be clever, resourceful, and creative when playing the game.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited October 2016
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I think the problems with this game are:

1- The sims themselves

Sims, all of them, they behave all the same way. There is nothing special about that sim or that other sim or the other sim that lives far away in another neighborhood from your sim. They are all the same, no matter what forced story you put yourself down the throat to make the game more...."entertaining". There is a huge behaviour issue and I'm sure it's connected to the irrelevant traits or just the way they made sim's personalities or perhaps to the social interactions themselves.

2-Whims

Whims don't work, they just don't work. They are like a...cheaper if not lame washed version of wants and fears or even wishes, with very little variety and many times they aren't even related to what is happening in a sim's life.

3-Too many goals

There are too many goals in this game, from party events, to career events, to aspirations etc. They need to be cleaned up. I'd say remove goals from parties and careers entirely. For parties make a system like in TS1, TS2 and TS3 where the game would recognize based on sims's needs/mood etc if the party was good or not. For careers just tag objects and/or interactions that are good and bad for work and give the player somnething basic like "you can do this and this, now do what you want", the unlockable interactions could still be unlocked the higher you go in the careers, ofc, but you don't have goals telling you what to do.

4-Lack of family play

This one...I'm guessing we all know.

I like the goals in the careers. Those active careers are what kept me playing for months.
    I think the main problem is the moods don't always seem geared to the sims personality (Traits) and the sims do seem too much alike... Give us some likes and dislikes, horoscopes, real memories etc. Personalize the sims more...and yes I very muchiss family play. Real babies, not onject ones. Toddlers and children who can actually play together without objects. I miss being able to dress babies and lay them on the floor... I also miss watching toddlers fight over a bottles even going around and picking the
    bottles up from the floor. And oh my gosh, I miss the flies flying around dirty plates...rofl.
    But, even with the things I miss and the sims being too similiar to each other, it is possible to give your sim a personality, several of my sims seem very distinct to me now...... I think it's something called imagination!
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • LeahmayLeahmay Posts: 5 New Member
    Sims 4 is extremely boring, omg! It might as well be a phone app game..lol! like freeplay. EA ruined the sims on so many levels and I think all the hardcore simmers out there are so devastated with S4 that they're trying to grasp onto anything positive from this game as to not let go. In reality I think it's the end of Sims as we know it. Sims 3 is no comparison, with all the options and diversity, the open world especially. I'm not much of a gamer but when I tried the sims 3, it sucked me in right away. S4 makes me want to cry..lol! Total joke! I pray one day someone comes along and takes S3, listens to the fans and totally revamps it with everything it already has to offer, minus the bugs. To me troubleshooting S3 on my system is far more worth the play than playing a S4 game that seems to be more geared toward EA failing miserably! Well, thats my opinion anyway for what it's worth..haha! I'm gonna go back to my S3 family now, because my baby is about to turn into a toddler and my husbands black dragon just hatched and I need to tend to my garden that's ready to harvest my crystals from the future so I can make the last trait chip for my awesome robot. Plus I have to go back to Egypt and try and sell my paintings. Plus Summer is almost here and my husband and I love scuba diving together!.. Lmao! Yeh S4 sucks!
  • LeahmayLeahmay Posts: 5 New Member
    Leahmay wrote: »
    Sims 4 is extremely boring, omg! It might as well be a phone app game..lol! like freeplay. EA ruined the sims on so many levels and I think all the hardcore simmers out there are so devastated with S4 that they're trying to grasp onto anything positive from this game as to not let go. In reality I think it's the end of Sims as we know it. Sims 3 is no comparison, with all the options and diversity, the open world especially. I'm not much of a gamer but when I tried the sims 3, it plum me in right away. S4 makes me want to cry..lol! Total joke! I pray one day someone comes along and takes S3, listens to the fans and totally revamps it with everything it already has to offer, minus the bugs. To me troubleshooting S3 on my system is far more worth the play than playing a S4 game that seems to be more geared toward EA failing miserably! Well, thats my opinion anyway for what it's worth..haha! I'm gonna go back to my S3 family now, because my baby is about to turn into a toddler and my husbands black dragon just hatched and I need to tend to my garden that's ready to harvest my crystals from the future so I can make the last trait chip for my awesome robot. Plus I have to go back to Egypt and try and sell my paintings. Plus Summer is almost here and my husband and I love scuba diving together!.. Lmao! Yeh S4 plum!

The bolded text. " It pulled me in right away" & "Yeh S4 Meh" not sure why it posted with the word plum? lol
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    I've read this entire thread over the last few days (long train journeys to work) and I genuinely find it interesting the arguments for both side. Although I'm a Sims 3 fan, I can see the appeal of some elements of Sims 4 (CAS tools), but until Sims 4 is improved to accommodate the way I prefer to play (this isn't a selfish statement, I feel like I'm one of the many Simmers who has had their game play style eliminated with Sims 4), I'll happily play Sims 3, appreciate that Sims 4 isn't for me, and wait for an EPIC Sims 5 (if there is to be one).
    lovejess2 wrote: »
    TBH I have never had a game which I didn't get bored of. I can only play a game for so long till it starts getting repetitive. I have played all the Sims games and the worst was Sims 3and I play the Sims 4 far longer but after 1 - 2 months it'll start feeling old but I stop playing for a month and go back to it and enjoy it all over again. Right now im playing Runescape but I know that in a month I'll be over it and probably get back into another game.

I find the bold part super interesting. Sims 4 isn't a complete game, so I can understand how someone might find it boring (although I don't think any amount of EPs, SPs, GPs, etc, would fix it in my eyes), but Sims 3 is complete and there's so much to do. 7 years on, I still feel like I haven't even scratched the surface; I know I haven't completed all careers, LTWs, played with all the traits, etc and for me, that's why Sims 3 could never being boring, plus the fact that's got a pretty good core to begin with.

If the OP is still around, I do hope that they've found something to cure their boredom with The Sims 4 or is playing another game that piques their interest :mrgreen:
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    edited December 2016
    It begins to be fun when I own the 3 first EPs because it's my minimal requirement.
    Now EP03 City Living is released, I can play to The Sims 4 during hours without seeing the time run exactly like I did with TS2 and TS3.

Nightlife, Late Night and City Living are very important, they give me a lot of fun.
  • sinnyoncesinnyonce Posts: 88 Member
    it's boring and annoying at the same time.
    a lot of people in this thread already explained the boring part
    and the "more emotional sims!" is just a burden when it destroys carefully thought out relationships and stories
  • AvanlindaAvanlinda Posts: 20 Member
    I know it's already been said about the replay value, but it is a major downfall in my enjoyment of the game. The only thing that kinda keeps me playing is all of the CC and mods I've been downloading to make my game more fun, yet I don't think it'll ever be enough. If you want your sims to live unique fun lives without cheating financially, it's practically impossible without getting bored. Getting a promotion takes forever even if you make them work hard everyday and make them complete all their work tasks and go to work in the ideal mood, and they just end up coming home stressed out and starving so you feed them and let them watch TV and then they go to bed at 2am. They wake up an hour before work and it takes 30 sim minutes to get food and a sim hour to finish it and you have to pee so they end up being late for work and feeling very uncomfortable all day until they come home and you do it all over again.

It's honestly so tiresome and there was something so much more enjoyable about TS3 but I can't quite put my finger on it, but it was probably the fact that you can travel anywhere without having a loading screen pop up when your 10 metres away from your home. Also, when you click on the mode to follow your sim around, it actually stuck that way until you panned the camera in a different direction, instead of making me click it over and over and over again to see if my sim is going to the right place. ALSO THE PERSON WHO SAID ALL SIMS ARE THE SAME YOU HAVE OPENED MY EYES I REALISE IT NOW AND IT MAKES ME SO SAD BC IT'S SO TRUE.
  • v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    edited February 2017
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    Because the game was originally designed to be an online multiplayer game, with an added story mode. Nothing about TS4 represents what the others have, because their vision for the game originally was something completely different that nobody was asking for.

IMO there are too many downgrades compared to The Sims 3. We were sold this game while being given the impression that it truly was a great successor, and as far as I'm concerned it falls flat. Everything is a grind, and it's super repetitive. CAS and Build mode are the only real improvements to me. Gameplay is incredibly over the top, boring, and the game operates in ways that truly put me off from playing.

Several of my simmer friends irl want nothing to do with 4, because it's subpar compared to what the other games offer. They stick with Sims 2 & 3.

Well said. The real killer for me is how lifeless and boring the sims themselves are, which would have made sense for an online game as you the player would have been giving life and personality to the sims interacting with other players. There just isn't any depth to the game play. Too many downgrades from TS3 combined with being the leftovers of an online game leaves the game feeling pretty hollow.

LOL, the sims in Thesims4 might not have the best personality system but if any thesims game had a souless and robotic sims it was Thesims3, autonomy and personality was so bad that even ThesimsMedieval did it better than it, Thesims3 itself was a huge downgrade in many areas compared to Thesims2, specially when it comes to sims themselves, IF anything this online backdraft Thesims4 suffered in development is to show that making Thesims online is a horrible idea, that said, Thesims in Thesims4 are much better than the ones in Thesims3.

If you complained about World configuration, customization or even graphic style i understand, but if there is something Thesims3 sims do not have is a good personality/AI/Autonomy system
    TBH I have never had a game which I didn't get bored of. I can only play a game for so long till it starts getting repetitive. I have played all the Sims games and the worst was Sims 3and I play the Sims 4 far longer but after 1 - 2 months it'll start feeling old but I stop playing for a month and go back to it and enjoy it all over again. Right now im playing Runescape but I know that in a month I'll be over it and probably get back into another game.

Agreed and it is alright, playing the same game non-stop is bound to go old, Thesims3 might have a lot of features but the lack of soul of sims, the bugs and the plain lack of replay value of some expansions such as World Adventure along with other problems can have a huge hit on the overall enjoyment of some people. Perhaps the reason i like Thesims4 so much is due to how bad the predecessor was to me.
    jr73Y.gif

• SenbreSenbre Posts: 997 Member
    Sims 4 is spin-off
  • ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    All the sim games get boring after awhile.
    ohmyohmy wrote: »

Until 4 I never had the problem. With the right tools to be creative my imagination just kept on chugging along.

I've gotten bored with pretty much all of them after awhile. sometimes I have moments where I binge play a certain one for days then after awhile I get bored and stop playing for months.
    ohmyohmy wrote: »

Until 4 I never had the problem. With the right tools to be creative my imagination just kept on chugging along.

I've gotten bored with pretty much all of them after awhile. sometimes I have moments where I binge play a certain one for days then after awhile I get bored and stop playing for months.
  • HARIBOWSHARIBOWS Posts: 115 Member
    v12creator wrote: »

If you complained about World configuration, customization or even graphic style i understand, but if there is something Thesims3 sims do not have is a good personality/AI/Autonomy system.

Agreed and it is alright, playing the same game non-stop is bound to go old, Thesims3 might have a lot of features but the lack of soul of sims, the bugs and the plain lack of replay value of some expansions such as World Adventure along with other problems can have a huge hit on the overall enjoyment of some people. Perhaps the reason i like Thesims4 so much is due to how bad the predecessor was to me.

I feel exactly the same way about TS4 Sims as you feel about TS3 Sims. :/ I think the personality showed a LOT more with TS3 Sims when it came to gameplay, even though the Sims in TS4 they visibly act angry or sad, all the Sims act the same so it kind of defeats the purpose.

And I personally found a lot of replay value with World Adventures, especially when you could even buy a house. Just that one HUGE mansion in Champs Les Sims gave me at least 20 hours of gameplay.

Also, in regards to AI, I personally regard story progression of Sims outside your household and the way they act on public lots as better than random pushups and walking around the neighbourhood all day. :/

• BrownGamerGirlBrownGamerGirl Posts: 2 New Member
    TBH I have never had a game which I didn't get bored of. I can only play a game for so long till it starts getting repetitive. I have played all the Sims games and the worst was Sims 3 and I play the Sims 4 far longer but after 1 - 2 months it'll start feeling old but I stop playing for a month and go back to it and enjoy it all over again. Right now im playing Runescape but I know that in a month I'll be over it and probably get back into another game.

This.Sims 4 is not boring to me at all though.
  • BrownGamerGirlBrownGamerGirl Posts: 2 New Member
    v12creator wrote: »
    DecafHigh wrote: »

LOL, the sims in Thesims4 might not have the best personality system but if any thesims game had a souless and robotic sims it was Thesims3, autonomy and personality was so bad that even ThesimsMedieval did it better than it, Thesims3 itself was a huge downgrade in many areas compared to Thesims2, specially when it comes to sims themselves, IF anything this online backdraft Thesims4 suffered in development is to show that making Thesims online is a horrible idea, that said, Thesims in Thesims4 are much better than the ones in Thesims3.

If you complained about World configuration, customization or even graphic style i understand, but if there is something Thesims3 sims do not have is a good personality/AI/Autonomy system

It doesnt get any more soulless or robotic than TS3 . TS4 sims show you how they are feeling by sulking, crying, hiding in bed, or showing joy or happiness on their faces. In TS3 I had to pretend they had feelings. Thats why the sims 4 devs made such a big deal about sims in 4 having emotions now, because it wasnt very obvious the sims in 3 were simulating actual people with souls.But hey to each their own.

• EmmaNijiEmmaNiji Posts: 102 Member
    I used to get super bored of the sims. I recently have been playing nonstop though, because I have been putting creative twists on the live's of my sims. Giving twisting stories, so many different personalities and just using my imagination. I also have recently been writing down ideas for them as well.