Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

♦ The Gifting Directory ♦ Happy 11th Anniversary!

Comments

• AuzzPandaAuzzPanda Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited December 2016
    @JovialJoy
    YES I know I am a disgrace to man kind! Which one of the Simcity Series would you recommend?
    Hmm. What do you mean exactly by a new system? Heh..

@mikawag
    Yey welcome back!
    Sorry to hear that.. At least it was fun though.. :)
    How was it actually?
    23rif7.gif
  • mikawagmikawag Posts: 190 Member
    @AuzzPanda Thank you! It went well! I assisted to meetings and I saw how things worked in the company. I also was able to help them do things too! People were really nice and helpful and I even made a friend too with a guy who's about my age :smile:
    @mikawag
    Oh that sounds great! Is this, uh.. Company top secret or may I know the name ...Hehe
    So do you actually see yourself working in that area?
    Oh-ho!... I'll leave that sentence there..lol... But yey for friends!
    23rif7.gif
    @AuzzPanda No, it's not top secret ahah! The name of the company is Schneider Electric! I could see myself working in that area but maybe not forever. I really want to move to the UK one day :blush:
    @mikawag
    Oh wow! Big company. That's so cool, I hope you have fun in the time you do work there.
    Pursue that plan! The UK sounds awesome. Just anything to get me away from the heat of this country! rofl
    23rif7.gif
  • JovialJoyJovialJoy Posts: 251 Member
    AuzzPanda wrote: »
    @JovialJoy YES I know I am a disgrace to man kind! Which one of the Simcity Series would you recommend?
    Hmm. What do you mean exactly by a new system? Heh..

Ooh, you're a funny one! But I don't know if I'm a good one for recommendations in that area. I haven't played any of the games in the series for maybe 16 years. But after talking about them, I kind of want to revisit them. And after what @Tamaek said, I kind of want to check out the newest one.

By the "new system," I mean that a second edition of the same game console was manufactured when retro gaming started gaining popularity. So I don't necessarily need to go to eBay to find someone's old SNES to buy.
    My Top Five | My Wishlist

If you aren't already stalking the Daily Deals, you should be! Visit these threads to get Store items and Sets with the greatest possible discounts:
    DAILY DEAL (DD) ROTATION AND SALES HELP
    CASCADES & DAILY DEALS- GETTING THE BEST BANG FOR YOUR SP
    FREE ITEMS FROM "THE SIMS 3 STORE"
  • TamaekTamaek Posts: 440 Member
    edited December 2016
    I really wanted to play SimCity 4 but it won't run on my PC. :bawling: If Origin is still doing it you can download the demo of SimCity and have access to it for 4 days to decide if you want to buy it. And your trial time doesn't begin when you download it, it starts when you launch the game for the first time. I had it installed on my PC for over a week before I could set aside enough time to really try it. I liked it so my husband bought it for me on Amazon Black Friday last year, he got the Complete edition (the only one I recommend) for $7. ^_^

And you are most welcome @JovialJoy! I'm trying to save up points and then pick someone and gift what I can. You are first. ^_^ Who will be next...? lol And I... have that... sweater... I've... used that... sweater... :flushed:

@mikawag I'm sorry that you had to leave but I'm glad you enjoyed it and even made a friend. It's good that you can carry good memories of your experience with you, I've heard of some internships that are nightmares so I'm really happy that you had such a great one.

@AuzzPanda Well I recommend SimCity because you can try it for free. I'd recommend SimCity 4 but I'm in a vast majority of people who can't get it to run on Windows 10.

@Loveandhate You are not forgotten. I understand getting in those funks, it happens to the best of us. lol Nice to hear from you again.

And welcome back @VioletHorse!
    As of 12-18-16 I joined the Own The Store Club! Now I get to pay it forward! Thanks to everyone who helped me get here. You guys are amazing. ^_^ Love to you all!! <3

Looking to make the most of your Simpoints and maybe make some great friends along the way?

Check out the DD Rotation Thread for tips, tricks, tools and the whole DD rotation schedule.

Need a little help owning the store or want to help others? Head over to The Gifting Directory!
    edited December 2016
    Thank you, @Me1620, you're so thoughtful! I've been thinking about you a lot; you've been so quiet. I thought maybe your OE just became a little too hectic to participate in the forums as much as you previously had been. I'm likely to get quiet around the holidays myself. I just don't have time.

I am preparing to pick up Live, Laugh, Love on Dec. 9th. And your gifts arrived to me on time! ;) But no, I didn't have all of the items I "needed" from the set on my Wishlist. I've still got more than 150 points to go before my CYS nears the blackout zone. So I threw two more items, at 75 points a piece, in my Top Five.

(My Top Five has been updated.)

I never add all of the items, that I need from a set, to my Wishlist at one time. I always limit it to whatever will fit in my Top Five. And then I keep some backup pieces on there from a set that doesn't show up on the DD. Doing it that way allows me to easily arrange my Top Five according to the set that's appearing next as a Daily Deal; I like those five items to actually be the first five things that people see when they go to my Wishlist. Then they don't have to dig through it to gift me what I'm looking to acquire the soonest.

Initially, I wasn't too concerned with getting store content or expansion packs for The Sims 3. I was so impressed with how immersive the game was--that I could actually follow my Sim through the neighborhood and see things from their perspective. My Sims went on lots of jogs just so I could do this. I was mesmerized! So the base game was enough for me with my first copy of The Sims 3. But my computer could scarcely even handle the graphics; I had to set detail and draw distance pretty low or the game was apt to crash. My frustrations with that, and my busy-ness with OE, eventually swept me away. I didn't play for years. However, when I came back, I quickly got tired of the limitations with hair. So the Store and I were officially introduced.

Obviously I'm in deeper than hair now. I'll eventually own even the ugly Christmas sweater! :p
    Tamaek wrote: »
    And I... have that... sweater... I've... used that... sweater... :flushed:

:D:D:D Um, growing up, I owned countless sweaters like that in my OE. And I wore them. One was mint green, with a penguin iron-on image, and lights. I appropriated most of these from my grandmother. That, right there, should have clued me into the fact that it was NOT cool.

Post edited by JovialJoy on

If you aren't already stalking the Daily Deals, you should be! Visit these threads to get Store items and Sets with the greatest possible discounts:
  • HoplassHoplass Posts: 369 Member
    Thank you for that sweater @JovialJoy you understand I'll make my sims wear it with the holidays >:) did you find the holiday dress? http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:18770&scategoryId=11901
    And thank you too for your gifts @Tamaek ! Can you really not desing clothes in TS4?? :o

I played sims 1, SimCity 3000 (is that the same as 3?) and rollercoaster tycoon. Also we had lion king pinball on our pc, that was fun. Before all of that that I played 'mixed up mother goose' but as I didn't understand English back then, I never understood what to do :D . I remember humpty Dumpty falling of a fence and I think there was something with mice living in a shoe...?
    Hoplass wrote: »
    Thank you for that sweater @JovialJoy you understand I'll make my sims wear it with the holidays >:) did you find the holiday dress? http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:18770&scategoryId=11901

No I hadn't seen that one! :D And you're welcome.
    Before all of that that I played 'mixed up mother goose' but as I didn't understand English back then, I never understood what to do :D . I remember humpty Dumpty falling of a fence and I think there was something with mice living in a shoe...?

Never heard of that one!

@JovialJoy
    @Tamaek
    Ah. Well I'll try SimCity 4 out first, see if it runs on Windows 10. If not I could return it and get a refund. Exciting. I've always wanted to make cities get destroyed by tornado- uh I mean to make a lovely place for people..
    16 years Jovial, you must have a lot of built up nostalgia. Revisit it I say!

Oh okay. We got ours in a shop simply. ''Twas quite expensive though..

@Hoplass
    Haha! Mixed up mother goose sounds funny..and intruiging..
    Oh I want to try roller coaster tycoon.
    23rif7.gif
    @AuzzPanda @Tamaek Thank you! I'm really glad that it was a great experience :blush:

Also, a bit late but I just saw it! Thanks a lot @debbycanty for the gift! :smiley:
    @mikawag
    :)

Aw thank you so much @Skymyst for the gift! Your message made me smile. So nice of you I really appreciate it, thanks :)
    *Party*
    39xeAZu.jpg
    23rif7.gif
  • Jude525Jude525 Posts: 1,696 Member
    edited December 2016
    ...@JoeJude16 my aunt still has her old Atari and a few games for it, her favorite was Q*bert. She and my mom used to play it as kids. They broke it out and showed it us a few years ago and we were amused by it. And my husband said that, while he played several games, his first really big PC game was Daggerfall and it was so massive that he had to have top graphics to run it and that he had to uninstall every other game he had to make room for it at its best. This might amuse you, System Requirements for it were (as best I can find since it was rereleased later):
    • 486DX2/50 MHz IBM PC or compatible running DOS 5.0+
    • 8MB RAM
    • 512-540kb Base Memory
    • 2x CD-ROM Drive
    • 30MB of Hard Drive Space (Minimum)
    • VLB of PCI VGA graphics card
    • Supports: Aria, Ensoniq, Roland, SoundBlaster, and UltraSound. Bethesda uses the HMI sounds drivers.
    • Joystick or Microsoft compatible mouse...

My truly FIRST computer gaming experience was high school when I learned programming. It was on a Radio Shack TSR-80. I don't remember details of the system, but based on Wikipedia they were something like this:
    * Zilog Z80 processor clocked at 1.77 MHz
    * 4k of RAM (there was a 16k model, but I doubt we had that one)
    * dual 5.25" floppy drives
    * NO HARD DRIVE - they were outrageously expensive at the time and not for amateurs. A friend has since shown me one from the time. They were the size of a serving platter and held about as much as a 3.25" floppy drive later would.

The computer would run by swapping out floppy disks to allow the system to load in whatever files it needed at the moment from either the system disk or the data disk, which contained either data and/or program files. And this was state of the art home computing at the time.

Games consisted of text games. Kind of like those "Choose your own story" books. But simpler. "you are in a room. You see two doors. What do you do?" Yadda, yadda, yadda. No graphics, just the words. But it was a real computer, so we loved it. Then I'd go home and kill robots on Berzerker on my Atari. (Sidenote: being a teenager I found it highly amusing that if you positioned the hero in the corner and shot at a diagonal it looked like he was p_ee_ing! Hopefully that won't come out as plums)

Oh, and I remembered that my first home system was Pong. Just bouncing a ball back and forth between two paddles. We actually had that first. I'm so old. VCRs were also new and rare when I was in high school. We would rent one occassionaly as a treat. But we did have color TV and we had cable in time for MTV to be "aired."
    aka Jude
    I own the store as of 1+7/17/17

My Studio

My build thread in the Creative Corner
    edited December 2016
    25 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS LOTTO

For anyone who doesn't already know, Jennifer aka @wittanthony1 is hosting a Christmas lotto with daily gift prizes leading up to large prize(s) on Christmas day. If you haven't already, head over and sign up. We don't even have 25 people participating yet, so right now the odds are that you will at least win a daily prize. So sign up and tell your friends. It's a great way to get into the Christmas spirit! And get free stuff! 25 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS LOTTO 2 (OPEN)

aka Jude

My Studio

• TamaekTamaek Posts: 440 Member
    JovialJoy wrote: »
    And I... have that... sweater... I've... used that... sweater... :flushed:

:D:D:D Um, growing up, I owned countless sweaters like that in my OE. And I wore them. One was mint green, with a penguin iron-on image, and lights. I appropriated most of these from my grandmother. That, right there, should have clued me into the fact that it was NOT cool.

That made me laugh and also is pretty much how I came upon my ugly Christmas sweaters. I had a few cute ones, my aunt made one with kitties on it <3 but mostly... yeah... Thank you!!!! with fake enthusiasm and then you still find yourself wearing them! lol Or worse you actually liked them, like my little mermaid Christmas sweatpants she got me. Oh boy they looked ridiculous looking back, and I was not like a really little kid when that stuff is totally okay, I was like 11 or 12. Wore them... :relaxed:
    And thank you too for your gifts @Tamaek ! Can you really not desing clothes in TS4?? :o

You are most welcome and no you can't really. You remember back in the Sims 2 and earlier how you could pick an outfit and then sift through different premade colors and designs but you couldn't make your own patterns like you can in the Sims 3? Yeah, they went back to that. :confused:

@JoeJude16 Wooooow.... lol My husband used to play those old text-based RPG's. Actually he used to program some of them, he loved them. They were D&D games using (I think) Advanced 2nd Edition rules but they were entirely text-based, like you said, no images just words. And some of them were even multiplayer. The first online multiplayer games. Again... Wooooow. My mom and dad both had an 8-track? Did you or did you not buy into it? And you know it's kind of cool that vinyl is becoming a thing again. It's both Vintage and Retro and supposedly cuts down on Piracy. Amazon has found however that Piracy is less of a problem if you charge decent prices and offer free MP3 versions of songs you buy on select CD's and Vinyl's. Amazing how that works, assuming people are thieves and adding evil DRM to games (cough EA cough) gets your games pirated because they don't have to deal with all the DRM while we paying customers have trouble playing the game but GOG strips all DRM from the games they sell and release titles like the Witcher 3 with no DRM whatsoever and rake in a killing with little piracy issues. And where did that tangent come from...? Wow. I just took my meds a little late today and I think they are making me ramble so I 'm gonna go.

Later all!!
    As of 12-18-16 I joined the Own The Store Club! Now I get to pay it forward! Thanks to everyone who helped me get here. You guys are amazing. ^_^ Love to you all!! <3

Looking to make the most of your Simpoints and maybe make some great friends along the way?

Check out the DD Rotation Thread for tips, tricks, tools and the whole DD rotation schedule.

Need a little help owning the store or want to help others? Head over to The Gifting Directory!
    edited December 2016
    JoeJude16 wrote: »
    My truly FIRST computer gaming experience was high school...

Oh, and I remembered that my first home system was Pong. Just bouncing a ball back and forth between two paddles. We actually had that first. I'm so old. VCRs were also new and rare when I was in high school. We would rent one occassionaly as a treat. But we did have color TV and we had cable in time for MTV to be "aired."

That's awesome! On the first home computer I'd ever encountered (though it wasn't mine), I remember that there was a "Snake" game. However, there weren't any real graphics. It looked like the first image in the wikipedia entry.

It's funny to realize that those systems from yesteryear couldn't even handle a single file from The Sims 3 Store today. :o

Thank you, @Skymyst, for one of those files! <3 My Top Five has been updated.

Jude, now that you mentioned renting a VCR, I remember renting a Nintendo system from our video store. But it also was a special treat because it was pretty expensive to do.

When I was in high school, DVDs came out, and the DVD players became affordable enough that most people owned one. And I bought my first one, a cheap brand sold at Walmart, for around $80.00. :| Cell phones were also starting to become more commonplace--though the teenagers that had them were few and far between. And AOL was the "social media" that most people used.
    Post edited by JovialJoy on

• BreazonaBreazona Posts: 1,335 Member
    Thanks for a couple things from the Bayside Kitchen Set, @Skymyst :)
    Top five
    sims 2&3 my beloved♥
  • VioletHorseVioletHorse Posts: 1,288 Member
    Thank you @Tamaek for gifting me "Hit on all Sixes". Men can never have enough clothes. They always ruin them.
    Oh dear wiffleflivles @Tamaek ! Thank you so much for the gifts, hahaha I really laughed at the messages.
    I do indeed have quite some work to do now! Oh dear. Darling ;)

@JovialJoy
    OOH, that reminds me, did your computer ever come with ''Purble Place'' installed? Wow...
    23rif7.gif
    @JovialJoy , you mention AOL being THE social media. My ex-husband and I met on AOL. In a chat room. We were supposed to get together for one "date." That lasted 13 years. So you never know where those things are going to go. B)
    aka Jude

My Studio

OOH, that reminds me, did your computer ever come with ''Purble Place'' installed? Wow...

Unfortunately, and it's on my current laptop! :|

You mention AOL being THE social media. My ex-husband and I met on AOL. In a chat room. We were supposed to get together for one "date." That lasted 13 years. So you never know where those things are going to go. B)

Jude! My boyfriend and I met in an AOL chatroom 15 years ago. We met each other in person for the first time about seven years ago, and four years ago I moved to the same state as him.

edited December 2016
    @JovialJoy, I host my pics on Photobucket.
    @JovialJoy Aww! Do you have any pics of the Turkey?

@JoeJude16 and @AuzzPanda, I signed up with an image hosting site! But I don't have a picture of Little Turkey right now. However, I do have a picture of my favorite bird: Little Old Hen.

bQheco.jpg
    Edit: Sorry this image is so big. I guess I need to resize it.

You might notice she looks a little weird. She's from our first brood of hens. And when we got her, we didn't know anything about the practice of "debeaking." Although I don't agree with it, it's not quite as bad as it sounds. It's where they take a hot knife and pare down the beak. The end result makes the chicken look a little fish-faced. And that's what had happened to Little Old Hen before she came into our hands.

• Me1620Me1620 Posts: 4,983 Member
    JovialJoy wrote: »
    Thank you, @Me1620, you're so thoughtful! I've been thinking about you a lot; you've been so quiet. I thought maybe your OE just became a little too hectic to participate in the forums as much as you previously had been. I'm likely to get quiet around the holidays myself. I just don't have time.

@JovialJoy - I enjoyed helping out with Live, Laugh, Love. I really appreciate that you were thinking of me. I have been quiet lately compared to how much I usually participate, especially in the DD thread. You are correct that things are hectic in OE. At work, I am writing a manual for a database so my brain is too tired to compose posts later in the day. (I still love numbers and spreadsheets though!) My family keeps me busy too, so by the time I get on the computer, it is the wee hours of the night and again I am too tired to compose.

I do want to add that all the talk of old video games and VHS machines warms my heart. I remember seeing Pong at Sears back in the 70s. So many of my friends would line up to play. There was no way our parents were going to spend a few hundred dollars for a video game. I shudder to think how much my kids and I have spent on consoles, PC games and video games.
    a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
    edited December 2016
    @JovialJoy
    HAHAHA, does Purble Place bother you? LOL

OML. She's adorable! AWW. Ugh I just love animals so much. I could watch hens walk all day. Lol.
    Debeaking sounds horrible, what's the purpose behind it? Does it hurt the hen?

The picture looks really nice. As if it were a perfectly talented painting. It's like got a bloom effect coming from each angle.
    23rif7.gif