Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE SIMS 4 VINTAGE GLAMOUR STUFF

Comments

• Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    edited November 2016
    Just had an idea! Has anyone seen the movie Clue? Oh my murder mystery night will be complete now that we can blame the butler :lol:
    1FKDfKj.png
  • mmertormmertor Posts: 186 Member
    RubeeSims wrote: »
    I'd rather have these stuff packs than the godawful overpriced Sims 3 Store.

I agree.

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Why isn't the butler in the City Living EP? Because the SP team made him/her, lol. The idea that the butler was 'taken out of' or 'held hostage' from the EP is silly, when he/she wasn't in there to begin with. That's like saying the buffet table from Luxury Party was held out of GTW just because it was released a month or two later. :D

And I'm still scratching my head how a butler fits better in an expansion pack based around broken down, rat infested apartments with barely enough room for even a medium sized family, let alone another full-time-live-in NPC where non of the decor says rich and famous and well off Sims compared to this SP which clearly shows interiors for mansions and such that an NPC butler would fit the best in.

If anything, maybe you should start complaining they held the butler hostage from Luxury Party. :p

I had to chuckle at your comment about the butler being held hostage by the SP :D

Maybe, if the world in CL is like you described then it is most likely the butler stayed out of the EP himself so he could be introduced to somewhere where there is a bit more class ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • TiaDogTiaDog Posts: 79 Member
    I for one don't think we should pay 10 dollars for just a butler. Should have saved it for a GP or a EP. I don't think it's fair. Yes I do get that the other butler's from the other sims games came from EP. GOOD JOB EA you messes with a tradition again! (I AM NOT A HATER OF THE SIMS 4)
    Sims Games I like to play - Sims 2 / Sims Medieval / Sims 2 Pets ( Wii ) / MySims / MySims Kingdom ( Wii )
    i-like-to-be-alone-but-i-hate-being-lonely-quote-1.jpg
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    I get kind of a Gatsby vibe from the furni.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited December 2016
    RubeeSims wrote: »
    EA have said themselves, and it doesn't take a genius to see it either. Game sales have changed since The Sims 1 - drastically. Regular DLC releases sell better than two EPs a year and a couple of stuff packs.

I'd rather have these stuff packs than the godawful overpriced Sims 3 Store.

But in the long run you will end up spending more for less content. How can you not see this? The store was mainly static objects and additional content that did not really enhance gameplay.

With The Sims 3, one could just purchase the EPs and have ample gameplay as they contained the premium gameplay content. You missed out on nothing by not purchasing from the store. It wasn't until the final years of The Sims 3 that they started to add more premium items into the store, but even then, the majority of it was not staple content.

What they are doing now is splitting premium content that previously was spread over 10 or so EPs into Stuff packs that will more than likely top 20 in number. 3 stuff packs cost around the price of an EP, yet provide nowhere near the same amount of content or gameplay.

From a business perspective it is a fantastic idea, but as a consumer, I am not impressed as I can see quite clearly what they are doing.

The butler came with Late Night in The Sims 3. In The Sims 4 they left this NPC out of City Living to sell him for $9.99.

No thank you. I'd rather gameplay was clumped together in the EPs and instead of it being spread out as thin as possible.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    dancenow13 wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I'm going to rework my shop, The Elephant Trunk, into a vintage/glamour shop with furniture and décor and a few special clothing items.

Ooh love the sound of this, please upload it to the gallery once you're done!!

There is a group of unhappy simmers that will say every pack is a party pack. When we get pets, they'll say it's for pet parties. Occults, for supernatural parties. Generations, for family parties. I'd like to tell them how silly they sound, but why spoil the only fun they have.

And yes, I will be happy to download it. There is a version already, but it's more like a junktique shop.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    When I first saw the teaser I wasn't very excited for this SP, but I think it looks fantastic now. :smile: A lot of the new hair and clothing looks like they would work in modern-day (maybe not some of the men's and children's) and the furniture looks great. I love the vanity table and to some it's a little thing, but I love that little detail of Sims putting on makeup. :lol: The globe bar is very nice, too. I've never really used butlers in The Sims, but options are always nice.

I do want more substantial additions, so I can understand why some feel unhappy about all these SPs. But for me, I really enjoy playing the game and just having something new to play with gives me a lot of fun. Honestly, I often get more enjoyment and usage out of the SPs than the bigger packs.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    This is how I know you don't even play Sims 4 as Cool Kitchen didn't come with a dishwasher (well it did but dishwashers were patched in)

Or it's evidence I wasn't actively playing at the time of Cool Kitchen stuff's release, thus I misremembered. Speaking honestly, I didn't even buy Sims 4. A friend bought it for me while insisting I'd like it once I tried it. Feel guilty because I feel like their money was wasted.

Moreover, I love how this community clings to it's logical fallacies and repeatedly tries to insist all critics do not play the game, which even if that were true, would not negate any criticism voiced.

Speaking of logical fallacies:
    It came with an ice-cream maker. How Is that any different than the store selling the ice-cream maker for 5 dollars?

Perhaps you will recall that leading up to CL release, people compared it to Late Night and repeatedly tried to state Late Night was not a good expansion, despite how well received it was. Thing is I'd agree because Late Night lacked content, it was Bridgeport people loved.....but this does not change or negate criticism of CL. Highlighting flaws of past iterations does nothing to address problems we have today. This is like if tomorrow Obama were criticized for making a bad decision and his response was "yeah guys but remember back when we had a monarchy? That was awful, so you should be grateful for me and my terrible decisions." The criticism stands and remains 100% valid.

Exact same concept with the Sims 3 store. Sims 3 store was terrible. Everyone agrees. Heck, I challenge you to find one user that enjoyed it and purchased everything it offered with actual money.

...But the Sims 3 store being terrible and overpriced does not mean Cool Kitchen stuff is not terrible and overpriced. Both are entirely capable of being terrible and overpriced. If you want to have a competition of which is worse, I really don't care, because winning that competition and being the less-terrible one doesn't automatically make it good.
    The ice-cream maker in Sims 3 had about 5 flavors. Sims 4 has about 20 and some with gameplay changes. Every flavor could be made into a cup OR cone. Each flavor could also have 1 of 7 garnishes AND 1 of 7 toppings like syrup peppermint etc.

This is my response: I don't care. Heck, I had no idea Sims 3 had an ice cream maker at all. You could give me 400 flavors and it wouldn't matter unless those flavors have meaningful gameplay tied to them. They don't. (and no, the flavors with minor effects are gimmicky at best, not full-on features)

I do not play this game to have the most ice cream flavors, I do not play this game to have a wide variety of cultural cuisine. I don't know who the Foodie is on the Sims staff, but quite frankly I find their obsession with food incredibly dull for the game. I want gameplay, not "oh look today my Sim can eat tacos and tomorrow they can eat SUSHI! SO EXCITING!!!" No, eating strawberry icecream with peppermint syrup on it isn't thrilling gameplay either.
    You just admitted you don't know how much stuff came in stuff packs. I've done comparison, they come with the same amount of items generally PLUS gAmeplay for HALF the price.

So a terrible concept most people hated became slightly less terrible, but it's still an issue. As I said: Sims 3's counterpart being bad or worse =/= this one is suddenly good. I would absolutely prefer more development time go into expansions, but instead the developers divert sooooooo many resources towards these stuff packs that we now get half the expansions we once got. It's still awful, I'm still not satisfied, I'm still not purchasing these.
    Your excuse is terrible that they noticed stuff packs weren't selling so they decided to hold content hostage. People didn't buy stuff packs because they were rip offs with no gAmeplay and CC could easily replace them.

So they IMPROVED them so they would sell. You act like improving a product nobody is buying is horrible. They're a business.

Except that they IMPROVED stuff packs and let Expansion packs get worse. That is not improvement in the sense that they're working harder or using resources more wisely or addressing customer concerns. That is improvement in the sense that more time and effort is being put into making stuff packs while LESS time and effort is being put into expansions. The only thing that's a strict improvement is the price, but as I said, I'm betting it's still a net gain compared to their old system.

What is stopping them from, for example, releasing the stuff packs as-is, but moving the meaningful objects to expansions...? The fact that their current method rakes in more cash, that's what.
    It doesn't matter what Sims 4 does, you'll criticize it either way. They could release free toddlers that have more content than Sims 2 and 3 combined and you'd still critique it.

How about you focus on trying to discredit my arguments instead of discrediting me as a person?

Stuff packs divert resources away from Expansions.
    This is bad. There's really no arguing this. The team only has so much time, money and resources, and every moment of development spent on a stuff pack is a moment not spent on an expansion. When we're to the point that Sims 4 is going to absolutely shatter the record for most stuff packs amongst the franchise, but it's going to struggle to beat even Sims 1 in terms of expansion count...? Yeah, there's a problem. This is not management of time and resources that I'd like to see. I'm sure they profit plenty, but I don't get a whole lot of fun from tiny packs with one new object or so. I get fun from meaningful expansions, which we're both not getting and we're getting fewer expansions.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • nakibotnakibot Posts: 176 Member
    I want! I want!
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    This is how I know you don't even play Sims 4 as Cool Kitchen didn't come with a dishwasher (well it did but dishwashers were patched in)

Or it's evidence I wasn't actively playing at the time of Cool Kitchen stuff's release, thus I misremembered. Speaking honestly, I didn't even buy Sims 4. A friend bought it for me while insisting I'd like it once I tried it. Feel guilty because I feel like their money was wasted.

Moreover, I love how this community clings to it's logical fallacies and repeatedly tries to insist all critics do not play the game, which even if that were true, would not negate any criticism voiced.

It came with an ice-cream maker. How Is that any different than the store selling the ice-cream maker for 5 dollars?

Perhaps you will recall that leading up to CL release, people compared it to Late Night and repeatedly tried to state Late Night was not a good expansion, despite how well received it was. Thing is I'd agree because Late Night lacked content, it was Bridgeport people loved.....but this does not change or negate criticism of CL. Highlighting flaws of past iterations does nothing to address problems we have today. This is like if tomorrow Obama were criticized for making a bad decision and his response was "yeah guys but remember back when we had a monarchy? That was awful, so you should be grateful for me and my terrible decisions." The criticism stands and remains 100% valid.

Exact same concept with the Sims 3 store. Sims 3 store was terrible. Everyone agrees. Heck, I challenge you to find one user that enjoyed it and purchased everything it offered with actual money.

...But the Sims 3 store being terrible and overpriced does not mean Cool Kitchen stuff is not terrible and overpriced. Both are entirely capable of being terrible and overpriced. If you want to have a competition of which is worse, I really don't care, because winning that competition and being the less-terrible one doesn't automatically make it good.
    The ice-cream maker in Sims 3 had about 5 flavors. Sims 4 has about 20 and some with gameplay changes. Every flavor could be made into a cup OR cone. Each flavor could also have 1 of 7 garnishes AND 1 of 7 toppings like syrup peppermint etc.

This is my response: I don't care. Heck, I had no idea Sims 3 had an ice cream maker at all. You could give me 400 flavors and it wouldn't matter unless those flavors have meaningful gameplay tied to them. They don't. (and no, the flavors with minor effects are gimmicky at best, not full-on features)

I do not play this game to have the most ice cream flavors, I do not play this game to have a wide variety of cultural cuisine. I don't know who the Foodie is on the Sims staff, but quite frankly I find their obsession with food incredibly dull for the game. I want gameplay, not "oh look today my Sim can eat tacos and tomorrow they can eat SUSHI! SO EXCITING!!!" No, eating strawberry icecream with peppermint syrup on it isn't thrilling gameplay either.
    You just admitted you don't know how much stuff came in stuff packs. I've done comparison, they come with the same amount of items generally PLUS gAmeplay for HALF the price.

So a terrible concept most people hated became slightly less terrible, but it's still an issue. As I said: Sims 3's counterpart being bad or worse =/= this one is suddenly good. I would absolutely prefer more development time go into expansions, but instead the developers divert sooooooo many resources towards these stuff packs that we now get half the expansions we once got. It's still awful, I'm still not satisfied, I'm still not purchasing these.
    Your excuse is terrible that they noticed stuff packs weren't selling so they decided to hold content hostage. People didn't buy stuff packs because they were rip offs with no gAmeplay and CC could easily replace them.

So they IMPROVED them so they would sell. You act like improving a product nobody is buying is horrible. They're a business.

Except that they IMPROVED stuff packs and let Expansion packs get worse. That is not improvement in the sense that they're working harder or using resources more wisely or addressing customer concerns. That is improvement in the sense that more time and effort is being put into making stuff packs while LESS time and effort is being put into expansions. The only thing that's a strict improvement is the price, but as I said, I'm betting it's still a net gain compared to their old system.

What is stopping them from, for example, releasing the stuff packs as-is, but moving the meaningful objects to expansions...? The fact that their current method rakes in more cash, that's what.
    It doesn't matter what Sims 4 does, you'll criticize it either way. They could release free toddlers that have more content than Sims 2 and 3 combined and you'd still critique it.

How about you focus on trying to discredit my arguments instead of discrediting me as a person?

This is bad. There's really no arguing this. The team only has so much time, money and resources, and every moment of development spent on a stuff pack is a moment not spent on an expansion. When we're to the point that Sims 4 is going to absolutely shatter the record for most stuff packs amongst the franchise, but it's going to struggle to beat even Sims 1 in terms of expansion count...? Yeah, there's a problem. This is not management of time and resources that I'd like to see. I'm sure they profit plenty, but I don't get a whole lot of fun from tiny packs with one new object or so. I get fun from meaningful expansions, which we're both not getting and we're getting fewer expansions.

:flushed: awesome post is awesome.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member

Where are you getting this absurd information? They don't divert EP it's extra content you can choose to buy it or not but SP are awesome they add more to the game and are focused on one theme.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member

Well then, wasn't the store which released sets every month diverting resources away from EPs then? And the SPs then should've done that too, considering that they were being worked on as well. And you're completely forgetting the fact that it's not the entire team splitting their attention beween 8 different projects at once. It is literally a separate team, completely set apart from the EP team, with it's own personal resources and time, which wouldn't take away from the EP. The projects are worked on concurrently, not one at a time, do it as you go type stuff.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited December 2016

Where are you getting this absurd information? They don't divert EP it's extra content you can choose to buy it or not but SP are awesome they add more to the game and are focused on one theme.

Butler came with Late Night. Where is the butler in City Living? Oh, it's in the $9.99 stuff pack released a month later ...

It's absurd that some of you cannot see what is right in front of you. EPs are being stripped of content to be sold piecemeal in stuff packs.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited December 2016

Agree with the first part, disagree with the second - unless you are talking more in general versus an EP..

Resources aren't being diverted to stuff packs, that money is going straight to marketing. Notice how every advertised feature of CL got its own trailer? Even the talking toilet got its own ad. Those aren't free. The smaller packs get less marketing and get more stuff. If we are wanting better quality EP's ask for more efficient marketing. I vaguely remember simgurulinday saying early on that marketing is much more involved with the game, which would make sense seeing all of the fluffy ads they release.
    Post edited by drake_mccarty on
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited December 2016

Butler came with Late Night. Where is the butler in City Living? Oh, it's in the $9.99 stuff pack released a month later ...

It's absurd that some of you cannot see what is right in front of you. EPs are being stripped of content to be sold piecemeal in stuff packs.

You're assuming that each iteration of Sims 4 copies what previous iterations did. Late Night =/= Apartment Living. Why should City Living = Late Night? It's a different interpretation of the "city" theme: graffiti, basketball, karaoke, street life in general, and cultural variety vs. vampires, butlers, celebrities, bands, and nightclubs. I'm not sure how you'd start with a vision of the city as full of cultural variety and varying neighbourhood life and end up with butlers. What's right in front of you is that Sims 4 is not a Sims 3 clone.

I agree with @luthienrising. The games are not meant to be clones. That said, they are sequels (or prequels in TS3's case) and--please feel free to correct me if my assumption is way off--they are meant to take the basic concept of the game and IMPROVE upon the past iterations. Whether we feel that improvement was made or no is the real point of contention here, but the games are not clones.

Point of contention:
    TS1 was life simulation Sims-style basic, TS2 took pretty much all of the core aspects of TS1 and then became a game about life stages, and TS3 took lifestanges and became a game about story progression, rich open worlds, and customisation. TS4 dropped the part of the lifestages, dropped the open world, and became a game about "emotions" except that... the Sims have always been about emotions since TS2. Sims grew anxious, angry, depressed, happy, excited, proud, shocked, grossed out, etc. according to the situation around them and the emotions persisted thanks to their memory system. TS4's emotion system (or rather object-driven non-persistent emotion system) and whether or not TS4 sims are actually emotional is debatable as when the base game was released the sims were prozac personality clones (or sociopaths... what wife steps over her dying husband to make dinner?!) Fast forward 2 years and has the AI improved enough to say that TS4 has improved the series? I reckon we'll be debating this until TS5 (please hurry TS5).

Now all of this being said, why are folks debating a stuff pack so much??? (unless there is no newspaper... then fight on my friends... grrr :rage:)

A stuff pack is just a more palatable delivery method of the TS4 store, yes? I would think the butler would be in a game pack rather than an SP because SPs should be "stuff" and not sims, but getting a butler (which hopefully works) for $10 instead of $20 seems like a good deal to me.

• CunninghamCunningham Posts: 1,310 Member
    Did anyone notice the new bed?

I believe there are 2

tumblr_ohf22oVVCj1tj6sf3o1_540.png
    tumblr_ohf22oVVCj1tj6sf3o2_540.png

Just went to click play on that second screenshot haha.
    'I'm Just Another Plum Faced Irishman, Am I Not?'
    "Dr Moose's daycare challenge "
    The Sims 3 - Wishlist/Top5
    oGh7KNi.gif
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    Why isn't the butler in the City Living EP? Because the SP team made him/her, lol. The idea that the butler was 'taken out of' or 'held hostage' from the EP is silly, when he/she wasn't in there to begin with. That's like saying the buffet table from Luxury Party was held out of GTW just because it was released a month or two later. :D

And I'm still scratching my head how a butler fits better in an expansion pack based around broken down, rat infested apartments with barely enough room for even a medium sized family, let alone another full-time-live-in NPC where non of the decor says rich and famous and well off Sims compared to this SP which clearly shows interiors for mansions and such that an NPC butler would fit the best in.

If anything, maybe you should start complaining they held the butler hostage from Luxury Party. :p

Lol. :D

I associate a butler more with something like Superstar than I do with a city pack. In Late Night it made sense because you had the celebrity content with the film studio and the bands. There was the whole fame system, and that superstar that lived in the house overlooking the water. They went for a different angle with this pack and I'm happy about that. I'd prefer them to do a proper Superstar expansion this time, instead of half-doing it in LN and then redoing the theme with Showtime. Anyway, I'm veering dangerously off-topic now, but I'm ok with butlers not being in City Living.

However, having said that I'm happy the Glamour Life stuff complements the Uptown aspect of CL and I'll definitely be moving my Old Hollywood Sims into the luxury apartments at some point. I hope when they DO make TS1 Superstar style careers (please do devs!) that the Sims at the top levels make an absolute fortune because the rents on those apartments (especially with a butler) are going to be extortionate! :D
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    JoBass24us wrote: »

You know what's absurd? Someone who tries to force their point of view on to others while making a concerted effort to somehow prove how those of us who do enjoy these SP's are wrong for it.

You seem to feel very strongly about this, and that's ok. You have every right to feel how you do, but what you don't have a right to do is to force your opinion as fact.

Many of us enjoy these Sp's. You will have to learn to get over it.

Happy simming ;)
    Well said.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member
    edited December 2016
    Wow people. I never shamed anyone in my post for wanting this pack. I never said that it was a party ripoff (I don't even think it's a party pack) or any of those other things. I just don't like vintage clothes.

I just said that I don't see a need for it in my personal game. If you like it, great! I hope you enjoy it!

But my experience should never be used as a weapon to shame me for not liking this stuff pack, that's just wrong.