Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Two Years On – Is The Sims 4 Worth Buying Now?

Comments

• SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    faytheful wrote: »
    don't play much but have most of the packs...
    my problem is I'd like to experience the whole pregnancy thing but not bothering bc can't get used to idea of infants popping out of bassinets as children. ruins my immersion.

ETA and can't quite get used to idea of parents being anchored to infant while infant is anchored to bassinet.
    The parents can't "walk the baby" something I enjoy making my Sims do in TS3
    One of the things I really liked when TS3 came out was the Sims got to go to the hospital (if they chose to) to have their baby

@faytheful I didn't realize how import the baby part of the game was important until Sims 4 took it out their biggest mistake to this day....you would think they would bring it back to end the sims 4 on a good note.

yea after all of this hullaballoo about it I'm wondering if they're not trying & they're having problems
    If that's the case they should just be forthcoming, I'm thinking. That would go over better
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    my problem is I'd like to experience the whole pregnancy thing but not bothering bc can't get used to idea of infants popping out of bassinets as children. ruins my immersion.

ETA and can't quite get used to idea of parents being anchored to infant while infant is anchored to bassinet.
    One of the things I really liked when TS3 came out was the Sims got to go to the hospital (if they chose to) to have their baby

@faytheful I didn't realize how import the baby part of the game was important until Sims 4 took it out their biggest mistake to this day....you would think they would bring it back to end the sims 4 on a good note.

yea after all of this hullaballoo about it I'm wondering if they're not trying & they're having problems
    If that's the case they should just be forthcoming, I'm thinking. That would go over better

Opening up and talking and being honest goes a long way. Did you play Sims 2 when it first came out? I remember when they were working on Seasons and they were having issues with rain. They couldn't get it to stop raining indoors. And I remember them discussing this on the forums, saying that rain might not be in the EP. But low and behold they continued to work on the coding, hammering out the problem, and they ended up getting it to work.

But when players had found out about the possibility of no rain, we where prepared and were ready to accept that. it wasn't a surprise announcement at the last minute. But the lines of communication was always open. They need to go back to that.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited August 2016

Opening up and talking and being honest goes a long way. Did you play Sims 2 when it first came out? I remember when they were working on Seasons and they were having issues with rain. They couldn't get it to stop raining indoors. And I remember them discussing this on the forums, saying that rain might not be in the EP. But low and behold they continued to work on the coding, hammering out the problem, and they ended up getting it to work.

But when players had found out about the possibility of no rain, we where prepared and were ready to accept that. it wasn't a surprise announcement at the last minute. But the lines of communication was always open. They need to go back to that.

yes openness is key I think, bc I read a lot of the frustration coming from "no word"
  • ThePoeticPreacherThePoeticPreacher Posts: 531 Member
    When the game first launched, I played it the month after it was released, I went over and posted my thoughts on what needed to be added to improve game play - as well as other players who are still sharing and giving input. I felt that since EA/Maxis stated that they where open to suggestions and where listening to us - as they have in the previous games - I figured within the first year of the game's life, all these major issues would have been addressed and fixed. Yet we are two years in, and honestly nothing major has taken place.

Yes we've had game patches, but for every one thing it fixes three more are broken. Culling is still a big issue, they fixed the incest yet some sims are still marrying close family relations, who wants game issue romances or friends that you haven't had your sims create. What about a true rotational play and story progression? (I play rotational style even in Sim 3 with NRaas mods!) They haven't fixed the musical chairs issue. Multitasking as they describe, isn't really multitasking since a sim has to pause to do another action (i.e. sim eating and watching tv. They eat, pause, watch tv, pause, eat some more, etc.) Why can't my sim cook in the restaurant that she owns? She could in Sims 2? Why can't my detective be a true detective? Why does he have to process the evidence collected at the scene? Isn't that the CSI's job? My list could go on and on.

My point is, this late into the game, unless they do a complete overhaul of the game engine and the core programming, anything that they add is just a band-aid over the huge gaping wound. It had promise, but that promise is gone - at least for me it is.

I feel You @GoldenBuffy
    pO5uos8.jpg
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Hi, I remember you XD

Well honestly, everything is pretty much the same darling so if it wasn't before for you, it still isn't.

No toddlers, no zodiacs, no firemen, no police npc's, no robbers, only two lifestates, no random deaths tbh I never even witnessed a sim dying of electrocution in this game, no biographies, no body hair, no spiral stairs, no lifts, no platforms, no bunk beds, no lounge chairs, no playground equipment, no terrain tools, no laptops, no tash compactors, no turn-ons/turn-offs, only 13 careers, babies tied to cribs, the alien abductions are still low, the moodlet from OR is still bugged, culling is still everywhere and so on...you know the drill. But hey...we got the phone covers that were suppose to be included in GT 9 months ago, so cheers for that.

righ on @Sigzy05 even though I played sims 1 and briefly touched sims 2 and 3, and played 4 then all the other gamers, I do remember playing toddlers and it was fun...I haven't played this game since June I believe, the dine out pack was buggy every time I hired my second cook it would appear after work that I never hired and I had to keep hiring a new cook..so I just stop playing the game all together....i'm at the end with the Sims, even though I will buy just to feel what's it like I am truly done....
    pO5uos8.jpg
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited August 2016
    When the game first launched, I played it the month after it was released, I went over and posted my thoughts on what needed to be added to improve game play - as well as other players who are still sharing and giving input. I felt that since EA/Maxis stated that they where open to suggestions and where listening to us - as they have in the previous games - I figured within the first year of the game's life, all these major issues would have been addressed and fixed. Yet we are two years in, and honestly nothing major has taken place.

Yes we've had game patches, but for every one thing it fixes three more are broken. Culling is still a big issue, they fixed the incest yet some sims are still marrying close family relations, who wants game issue romances or friends that you haven't had your sims create. What about a true rotational play and story progression? (I play rotational style even in Sim 3 with NRaas mods!) They haven't fixed the musical chairs issue. Multitasking as they describe, isn't really multitasking since a sim has to pause to do another action (i.e. sim eating and watching tv. They eat, pause, watch tv, pause, eat some more, etc.) Why can't my sim cook in the restaurant that she owns? She could in Sims 2? Why can't my detective be a true detective? Why does he have to process the evidence collected at the scene? Isn't that the CSI's job? My list could go on and on.

My point is, this late into the game, unless they do a complete overhaul of the game engine and the core programming, anything that they add is just a band-aid over the huge gaping wound. It had promise, but that promise is gone - at least for me it is.

Your experience and thoughts on the matter are very similar to mine. It's always difficult for me to pinpoint exactly what the issue is as there are so many. It's one little thing piled on top of another until every little thing annoys me to no avail. I had to stop playing for the sake of my own sanity. :)
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • riccardougariccardouga Posts: 436 Member
    Is worth Not playing it! :wink:
    kremesch73 wrote: »

Your experience and thoughts on the matter are very similar to mine. It's always difficult for me to pinpoint exactly what the issue is as there are so many. It's one little thing piled on top of another until every little thing annoys me to no avail. I had to stop playing for the sake of my own sanity. :)

@kremesch73 same here I second that, I had to stop playing...I haven't played in 3 months now...

pO5uos8.jpg
  • poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    I enjoy it but I wish it were more so I can't honestly recommend it.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    I actually found that the game has gotten worse for me since launch. I enjoyed it quite a bit at first and looked forward to where they were going to go with it, but i never did understand the vision. Even after two expansions packs, three game packs and handfuls of stuff packs the game somehow still feels empty and very predictable. Every new item or gameplay feature becomes so redundant and over the top, and with new stuff came new undesirable features like this relationship culling which pretty much breaks the game for me. I feel
    like the game has become very cartoony, hollow and lifeless.

I've recently gone back to sims 3 and am having a great time. Sure I get an occasional glitch and might have to reset my sim once and while but at least she doesn't forget all her friends overnight.

I really wish they would have taken some of the key features from earlier games and built on them for sims 4, instead it's like they changed everything and the game itself is a shell of what it once was.

I have to say I think I really am done with sims 4 now. I've spent too much money hoping to start to enjoy it more and the only thing I really enjoy is the looks of the sims themselves and taking pictures to share. That's just not enough to keep me playing all day like I do with sims 3 or used to with sims 2, and sims 1 way back in the day.

• Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »

Ditto. It's all of it that has worn me down, and the appalling communication has only made it worse. I haven't yet ruled out ever playing again, but for now, it's going to sit for a very long time until I decide otherwise. I suppose it's a good thing my new job has kept me so busy for the past three months, it's kept me preoccupied so that my sanity hasn't suffered much.
  • Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    I don't know. Honestly, at this point, I don't even think toddlers would fix the game for me. Yes, they'd improve it, but fundamentally the game will still be boring to me.

I'm pretty much done. The leaked info about the next EP being city related... I'm a patient person, but I have my limits. I'll just keep enjoying TS3 and hopefully if Sims 5 ever comes out it will be better. Hopefully it'll include all the life stages and great gameplay from the get go.

I think the only reason I still check the forums is that I am still kind of heartbroken that this game is nothing like my old friends The Sims, Sims 2, and Sims 3. I really should accept that the sims experience I loved in my youth is gone and it's never coming back. But, some days I still have hope so I check for news.

Well I guess that's my two cents.
  • SimsFanatic2688SimsFanatic2688 Posts: 222 Member
    edited August 2016
    I think it depends on what your looking for from the game. I wouldn't recommend it to friends i would firstly recommend the sims 2 as that's the strongest alliteration in the franchise in my opinion. sims 4 for me has too much missing at the moment for me to be able to enjoy playing it more than 10-15 mins without switching it off. I really struggle with the sims 4 mainly due to the closed worlds and lack of family activities.
    Post edited by SimsFanatic2688 on
  • TimedyeTimedye Posts: 5 New Member
    This is a few months old now, but I just wanted to toss my hat into the pile.

I've just purchased The Sims 4 during the Origin Cyber Monday sale for $9.99. Given all the problems that the game had at time of release, I was incredibly put off and never picked it up, so I was hoping after 2 years they would have made some significant improvements. It seems like they have, but it's still not quite "there".

My main reason for picking up The Sims 4 is that, as much as I love The Sims 3, the game is a hot mess technically. I own a PC that's more than a couple of steps beyond the recommended requirements to run The Sims 3, and I've never been able to get over just how poorly it plays; micro stutter, freezing, straight crashing to desktop... it's terribly optimized for a game that was a PC exclusive.

I've heard that The Sims 4 runs a lot more stable, and given that my major enjoyment from this series comes from simply living out a boring little normal life, that's all I really need from the game. I'll post back my thoughts once I've given it a try this weekend about what I think of the actual game.
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,372 Member
    To me, it's still as subjective as an opinion as it was two years ago.

This is what I'd tell anyone looking into buying the game; If the content that is missing doesn't bother you and you like the EP, GP, and SP that have come out so far, then I think you should get it. If the missing content bothers you but the EP, GP and SPs are interesting, then it'd be best to wait a bit for any confirmation on when stuff might be returning/whether other stuff will be returning. If the missing content bothers you and you don't like any of the packs, you probably shouldn't get it.

You know? It's not the missing content. It just is so boring to me. I can't stand how slow game play is. Everything just drags on. There's just nothing to hold my interest.

I don't think adding toddlers or more ts2 like features would help. It simply is a total fail from my perspective.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited November 2016
    There are many factors which play a huge role in influencing a personal opinion about the game.
    What was your point of entry? (When did you start playing the Sims)
    What gameplay features are important to you?
    How do you go about managing your worlds?
    Are you burnt out on the concept in general?

Perhaps the most important question of all is.
    Are you having fun? For me the answer is yes. I am having fun with this iteration at long last.
    If the answer is no for the next person I completely understand,

I personally share in almost all of the objections which you have stated here.
    The way I dealt with it was to boycott the ridiculous asking price and kept off the forums.

Now that I'm past all of my initial disappointment, and I don't feel like I'm literally getting ripped off.
    I can see a lot of the things you outlined in the first part of your post first hand and I can actually appreciate that some of the stuff they have done here is charming and remarkable.

I'm in the same boat as a lot of other people (incuding yourself) with regards to things they could have done better, but (I intuit) because my mindset isn't perpetually stuck in a negative feedback loop, I'm able to appreciate the things they have done well a bit better than some.
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Lomelindi7 wrote: »
    I don't know. Honestly, at this point, I don't even think toddlers would fix the game for me. Yes, they'd improve it, but fundamentally the game will still be boring to me.

I'm pretty much done. The leaked info about the next EP being city related... I'm a patient person, but I have my limits. I'll just keep enjoying TS3 and hopefully if Sims 5 ever comes out it will be better. Hopefully it'll include all the life stages and great gameplay from the get go.

I think the only reason I still check the forums is that I am still kind of heartbroken that this game is nothing like my old friends The Sims, Sims 2, and Sims 3. I really should accept that the sims experience I loved in my youth is gone and it's never coming back. But, some days I still have hope so I check for news.

Well I guess that's my two cents.

I'd probably buy the toddlers EP and give the TS4 a second go. Although, at this point, I'm just ready to get off this little engine that can't and hop on board the TS5 hype train :unamused: I'd buy and try the game with toddlers because this is pretty much where I drew the line in the sand and started boycotting all TS4 products, so it would be a bit lame to not even give EA the benefit of the doubt if they did what looks every year to be the impossible with this game.

I'm not interested in the CL world but they have a game play feature that I have dreamt about since TS1 Superstar :love: so I would definitely have to buy both EPs at the same time. That said, who am I kidding... there will never be a Generations pack :lol:
  • SweetJealousySweetJealousy Posts: 362 Member
    I was one of those who pre-ordered Sims 4 despite negative feedback. The graphics were lovely, but I felt that each neighborhood was far too small for my taste. Having played the franchise since Sims 1 and having spent most of my time playing Sims 3, the prettiness aside, I felt that the Sims 4 was taking steps back rather than being progressive at all.

For the most part, I could get to like the game, if it allowed for jumping back and forth between family members in the same household, the way I used to do in Sims 3. I'm such a micromanager sometimes, so if I sent a Sim out to buy groceries or out training on their horse (Sims 3), I would jump back and forth between them and the rest of the family members as I have them doing various other things. You know, keep an eye on everyone. That's how I play. And due to the way that Sims 4 was made with the loading screens, I don't think that sort of function could ever be implemented. Ever. Not with any new patch or expansion. If there is a Mod that has done this type of switch play easier, do let me know!

The other issue is, while I'm a micromanager, I only micromanage my own household. I don't want to have to play the other families just so they get married and have children. They should be doing that on their own. I expected that a mod would have been made by now that will give the 'townies' their own free will, like they had story mods in Sims 3 on top of Sims 3's own story progression, but I have yet to hear anything about it.

The only thing I can do is to wait for these mods to be made or wait for Sims 5. For now, I'm collecting everything in the Sims 3 store and have gone back to that game.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @SweetJealousy You are not the only one who has gone back to TS3, many of us never even left in the first place :smile:

Just take a look at the TS3 GD, there is a thread called 'what have you done in your game today?' And it has reached more than 900 pages making it one of the biggest threads on the forums, the second biggest I think.

We have more and more players going back to TS3 daily. Players who maybe grew tired of the restrictions or issues with TS4, players who realise that there are no major issues with TS3.

It does seem ironic really; many players think that TS4 is a step backwards, so players are actually going backwards themselves and playing a game that actually went forwards...

:no_mouth:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    I was one of those who pre-ordered Sims 4 despite negative feedback. The graphics were lovely, but I felt that each neighborhood was far too small for my taste. Having played the franchise since Sims 1 and having spent most of my time playing Sims 3, the prettiness aside, I felt that the Sims 4 was taking steps back rather than being progressive at all.

For the most part, I could get to like the game, if it allowed for jumping back and forth between family members in the same household, the way I used to do in Sims 3. I'm such a micromanager sometimes, so if I sent a Sim out to buy groceries or out training on their horse (Sims 3), I would jump back and forth between them and the rest of the family members as I have them doing various other things. You know, keep an eye on everyone. That's how I play. And due to the way that Sims 4 was made with the loading screens, I don't think that sort of function could ever be implemented. Ever. Not with any new patch or expansion. If there is a Mod that has done this type of switch play easier, do let me know!

The other issue is, while I'm a micromanager, I only micromanage my own household. I don't want to have to play the other families just so they get married and have children. They should be doing that on their own. I expected that a mod would have been made by now that will give the 'townies' their own free will, like they had story mods in Sims 3 on top of Sims 3's own story progression, but I have yet to hear anything about it.

The only thing I can do is to wait for these mods to be made or wait for Sims 5. For now, I'm collecting everything in the Sims 3 store and have gone back to that game.

MC Commander from Mod the Sims does make it so nonplayed Sims do get married or pregnant, and can even move townies into empty lots.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited November 2016
    @SweetJealousy Yes, you definitely need MC Command Center. It handles story progression and a whole slew of other things. But for what you described, you only need to install the main mod plus the Pregnancy module (and maybe Population) http://modthesims.info/d/551680
  • Angelllite7Angelllite7 Posts: 9,730 Member
    No not worth it. Yes, I've had some fun with it. Most recently with CL, but that all ends quickly. There is no real depth in this game. I wish I just never got the base game for ts4. Even ts3, which I initially disliked, became amazing after a few good EP's. Whoever is truly in control of how this game is made/what content gets in etc, needs a new job. They are not right for the Sims. Let someone who truly understands this franchise and what made the last 3 incarnations of it great, make the calls. And never, ever again....never, ever, EVER consider making the Sims an online game. That is not the Sims, that's some nitwit seeing $$.
  • aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    The problem most of all with TS4 is; lack of depth. All Sims act the same no matter their traits. Only emotions define them and yet they all experience the same ones. So all happy Sims are happy and act happy while all sad Sims walk around moping. With the lack of favorites, turn ons and turn offs, and birth signs it also takes away from the depth we had with TS3 Sims. If they enjoyed country music they would play that more often on radios. If they found out they met a compatible sign they'd act happy and their would be a relationship boost. With turn ons and turn offs we had the ability to set what our Sims like and disliked. A Sim who liked redheads would find themselves attracted to redhead Sims. But formal wear was a turn off? Then anyone wearing that type of outfit was unattractive. Small things like that helped add to our Sims.
    There's also no challenges and perks for completing them like TS3. So if you gain a certain amount of friends you won't gain the ability to start off as friends instead of acquaintances. These type of things helped us define our Sims and make them more unique from each other. If they combined these things from past game CAS features into TS4 we would have diverse characters to play with and to create. Also there's no trial and error like in TS2 everyone just seems perfect and happy in TS4. Finally family play is next to none even with DLC. With no toddlers it hurts even more. I can't teach my kids important life lessons like walking and talking.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    I think it depends on your play style. Personally, I like Sims 4. I wish there was an attraction system and that the sims acted more specifically to their traits. However, overall I'm happy playing the game. Sims 3, the graphics aren't that great and no one ever showed up at the venues. Granted, I never cared about toddlers, seasons or pets. My favorite expansions were night life and University from sims 2. I like partying and soap opera type drama. I also like owning my own restaurants.