Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Planet Coaster has hand holding while walking so why can t Sims 4?

catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
edited November 2016 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Found this on Twitter from another poster. If hand holding while walking is possible in Planet Coaster surely it is in TS4.
IMG_20161128_061306.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    Even if i'd want this, I think it has to do with the multi-tasking issues that ruins a lot of things that are otherwise possible. The routing issues would be a problem. It would be adorable to have though!
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    edited November 2016
    Well for heavens sake! They don't have to hold hands for life....just a few steps down the street. o:) That would be at least realistic. And if they are doing anything else, they don't hold hands!
    Just wanted to add that my irritation wasn't directed at @DaniqaSimmer - just EA's thought process! I would really love this interaction. :)
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • Options
    mrnhmathmrnhmath Posts: 750 Member
    there weren't hand holding in Olympus so it's a no no
  • Options
    LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    I remember reading about this before and it has to do with routing I think. @SimGuruGraham Did you maybe comment on that? Sorry if it wasn't you.

Not to say that it can't/won't happen. Things can change and it could be a matter of patience. Plum if all else fails, just have a sim phase through the held hands. They do that with cars and other sims already so why not?
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I have wanted this interaction for years.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    @Mstybl95 while you're on the subject , hiking together. It's not a good idea to go out hiking in the woods be yourself.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    GTA has cars, why are they not in TS4?

Fallout 4 has real grass, why is that not in TS4?

TS3 has toddlers, why are they not in TS4?

Neatherless no Sims game has hand holding yet, but it would be awesome to see them in the future. Maybe in TS5 :smile:

The biggest flaw is comparing one game series to another. Each series has its own engine and different possibilities.

For example, gta can do hyper realistic graphics but Sims series as of yet cannot as it Involves different stuff. Sims are different than npcs because they're constantly being simulated. That's why Sims 3 especially required rendering so much.

Even comparing Sims 3 to 4 isn't perfect as they both have limits.

Things like toddlers there's no excuse. But hand holding is different than other games due to routing multi tasking etc.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited November 2016
    I'm guessing GTA has cars because it's about cars?? There's a lot Sims has that GTA or Fallout don't. But fundamentally, they're different creatures. And all of them are more than a laundry list of objects.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    VGismyIDVGismyID Posts: 22 New Member
    Hand holding is overrated
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    Because it's too expensive for Sims to hold hands, pee, and say Sul Sul to their partner at the same time!
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

Neatherless no Sims game has hand holding yet, but it would be awesome to see them in the future. Maybe in TS5 :smile:

The biggest flaw is comparing one game series to another. Each series has its own engine and different possibilities.

For example, gta can do hyper realistic graphics but Sims series as of yet cannot as it Involves different stuff. Sims are different than npcs because they're constantly being simulated. That's why Sims 3 especially required rendering so much.

Even comparing Sims 3 to 4 isn't perfect as they both have limits.

Things like toddlers there's no excuse. But hand holding is different than other games due to routing multi tasking etc.

Planet coaster has routing too. Those npcs holding hands autonomously walk all round the themepark and pass by other nps. They shop at vendors, queue for rides and have to respond to all the other npcs doing the same.

Also don't forget it is a sandbox game so the developers will not have set predefined routes like in The Sims 4's fixed worlds; the player makes the park and the npc's A.I. is advanced enough to cope with this. These npc have needs. They eat and drink. They have to use the toilet. They respond to rides, the layout of the park and the facilities. They even respond to the price. Very complicated stuff and appropriate to compare to The Sims 4.

This look familiar?

https://facebook.com/PlanetCoaster/videos/358153264308810/

With regards to GTA, it has masses of cars and npcs simulated all at once and, unlike The Sims 4, these assets are not stuck to the ground with fixed animations as it has a real-time physics system in conjunction with collision detection. It's possibly a more complicated game than The Sims 4.

You can compare one game to another. A game's engine being different from another is no excuse not to compare games. The developer is responsible for the engine they decide to make their game with. If they use an engine that does not allow x feature, that is their fault. If such and such a game can do this, but this game can't, players are right to ask questions.

Games released at a high price point post 2014 are expected to be more complex than games even released a year earlier. They are expected to have a certain quality, complexity and modern features. If a game cannot do what its predecessor did; if a game is not as complex as other games released the same year as it at the same price, players are going to complain and ask why.

Nearly everything you said is false. Grand Theft auto has loading zones unlike Sims 3. Every SINGLE sim IN Sims 3 is constantly being simulated with their own unique personalities, behaviors etc. No two Sims are the same. Most in gta are scripted without things like world editing tools and houses.

It is apples to oranges. I've never played the roller coaster planet so I can't comment on if what you said is true, but can they get married, have babies, get in fights, work out, multi task?
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Because it's too expensive for Sims to hold hands, pee, and say Sul Sul to their partner at the same time!

Maybe we should let the player pay for it is DLC, you know, like some games expect you to buy everything.

If you want your Sim to hold someone else's hand, you have to pay for it :no_mouth:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Probably routing issues, since the two Sims walking would essentially make them into one solid object that moves, and the Sims have never been the greatest when it comes to encountering a non-moving object, so I'd think they'd struggle with this one more.

But comparing it to Planet Coaster, all the guests in that game are randomly generated, and they don't really have much to them besides relationships and who their group is when you think about it. Hand-holding would just be Guest A and Guest B having that animation being programmed into their list of usable animations, while the Sims would sort of need more than that.

I think the main problems would be when to have Sims start to hold hands, what would necessitate them not holding hands besides the user choosing to (i.e. not enough space, actions requiring both hands), and ensuring that this is done smoothly, so that when two Sims are walking down a path holding hands, they don't just stop, do an animation where their hands pull apart and they go into their "standard Sim pose" and then continue walking.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    @catloverplayer You're the most romantic person this forum. :D Anyway, I think it's possible but only when your sims are standing still. Kinda like when they hug. But when it comes to walking it might be a bit tough with the routing.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member

I don't think that Fallout 4 is a game that you want to use as an example of keeping features from previous games. Rest in Peace skills, you will be missed. Fortunately we have InXile and Wasteland.
  • Options
    ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »

I don't think that Fallout 4 is a game that you want to use as an example of keeping features from previous games. Rest in Peace skills, you will be missed. Fortunately we have InXile and Wasteland.

Thank you! I don't even think the example was even valid. I love FO4, but the grass is not real and has legitimately no affect on the gameplay, be your sole survivor a stealthy character or a run&gunner. There's also a console command specifically targeted the appearance of grass textures.

" ~ tg " is Toggle Grass and, when engaged, removes all grass textures from the local cell.
  • Options
    kmariakmaria Posts: 282 Member
    Planet coaster looks amazing. It's funny, I discovered stardew valley thanks to someone mentioning it on this forum and now I know the next game I'll play when I tire of Ts4, so thanks @catloverplayer
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    Maybe it's because they're incredibly different games, and use completely different engines.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited November 2016
    Not comparable.

Not 100% on this, but I believe in Planet Coaster, some people move as groups and are therefore "attached" when walking around. One person in the group turns left, everyone in the group turns left. You could easily match this question of yours with "why can't people in Planet Coaster stop holding hands?" Because aside from when they're on a ride, they're treated as one mobile unit.

Secondly, it's important to realize Planet Coaster has people doing two things: walking and riding rides. As such, of course they focus more attention to this detail. The Sims? Where would they hold hands and walk? All the neighborhoods are really small so it'd be a short trip no matter where you are. Not really worth the effort.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"