Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 vs Sims 4

Comments

• ravamaileravamaile Posts: 168 Member
    The Sims 2 will always have a special place in my heart. I remember that time when it was first advertised (well, maybe it was not the first time, but I lived in the middle of nowhere with no internet connection and the only news source was gaming magazines). I was so fascinated with the life stages! It was a huge step forward from The Sims, which I also liked playing and had spent hundreds of hours. Finally, in late 2004, I bought a disc and was immediately immersed in gameplay. The base game itself was so full and interesting that I hadn't even bothered with expansion packs for almost a year.

My computer was too outdated for The Sims 3. Watching letsplays and and reading reviews, I didn't feel like I missed something - although I liked open world, the rest of it seemed empty. Those constant goals and quests, those rabbitholes... Now I have a better computer (well, not so modern, but better that before) and I am finally able to play it. It's new for me and I am still exploring it.

Since I missed the third series, I was eager to learn some news about The Sims 4. I started to think that TS4 was like remastered TS2. CAS, emotions, smarter sims! Then the news about missing toddlers, pools and other features came - what a dissapointment. I bought the game when it was released and played for one or two hours. It felt so silly with those emotions, goofy walkstyles. At that time, the game has no pools or ghosts. I returned it and thought that this was it - I was no longer interested in The Sims series. Then, after several months, when Get To Work was released, I purchased the game again - it was like Open For Business! Now I have all EPs and GPs and a couple of SPs. Yes, this game it still somewhat empty (they patched in pools and ghosts, but still no toddlers) and limited, but it runs relatively well on my 2011 iMac.

When it comes to comparison, I may be biased. The Sims 2 reminds me of my childhood - hours of playing the game, hours of attempts to create custom content. The Sims 4 feels limited compared to The Sims 2 (one example - building apartment complexes), but sometimes it's just better to relax for 30-40 minutes building in TS4 than to reboot to Windows just to start TS2. But when it comes to families and actual playing (not building, not creating sims), my choice is The Sims 2.
    If people were not interested in what we were making we wouldn't continue what we are making. Our data shows us differently. (c) - @SimGuruDrake (LINK)
    Complexity is our enemy when building The Sims, so we look for any opportunity to keep it down. (c) - @SimGuruMax (LINK)
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Totally biased :smirk: 2 > 4 an equation that may confound maths lovers but it's true.

I hope we get back on track with TS5, because it would be nice to play with upgraded graphics. Until then, however, TS2 will keep me busy enough.
  • Mort_OpalMort_Opal Posts: 55 Member
    ravamaile wrote: »
    . But when it comes to families and actual playing (not building, not creating sims), my choice is The Sims 2.

This. When I want to build really nice houses, I go and play 4. But for true, classic simming? I stick to TS2
  • ErnesaTErnesaT Posts: 7,474 Member
    I love Sims 2 and play almost chance I get. I can't get Sims 3 to play anymore. It crashes. I had Sims 4 for a while but get bored after a while.
    As for 3 and 4 comparison, I really liked the open world of 3 but it was really glitchy and I needed a boat load of mods to run it. Sims 4 is cute. I just purchased the City Living and Get Together packs. I am enjoying it but Sims 2 will always be my favorite.
    yY5vKua.png[img][/img]
  • JanoJano Posts: 100 Member
    Am enjoying sims 4 but miss the back story of sims 2 and the more realistic genetics of the dominant and recessive genes. I liked being able to look back into premade sims family trees and to see where they came from, it added depth to their characters. Sims 3 open world was great but I didn't like that you couldn't play lots of big families without some of your sims being culled. I also miss being able to create your own towns in sims 2 it just seemed to a more rounded game.
  • mommy19959699mommy19959699 Posts: 226 Member
    I haven't stopped playing TS2 since I started in '06 and as long as the computers will let me, I'll keep playing. But, I do feel when I play it that I wish I could have the same couple of things in TS4 in TS2. Like the whole neighborhood growing up with your family rather than a few at bdays that your bday sim knew. Also, I miss the multiple interactions. Some activities require you to stop doing them to have a conversation and most don't in TS4. Each game the team tries to do something different and make it it's own game but people do tend to compare it to previous versions which often leads to disappointment. They never said that because we had Pets, for example, by so and so time with TS2 or TS3 that we can expect it at the same time with TS4. If we get out of that mind frame I think, we can just enjoy the game for what it is or just wait until they have made it what we want to play before buying. Although, toddlers was a bit ridiculous. It took waaaaay too long for that life stage.

When I play TS2, I enjoy building more even though I miss the grabbing and stretching a room out. But I think it's just because I am so familiar with TS2.

TS4, in time, is going to be an amazing game. I've been saying it has true potential to be something great to my family members and every time something comes out for it, they go big.
    I agree I think sims 4 will be an awesome game and is going in the right direction. I just feel sims 2 seemed to have more surprises, like the hidden lots which unlike sims 4 didn't just concentrate on collecting and gaining new skills but gave our sims new experiences. Ive had so many exciting moments in sims 2 like the first time my sim got bitten by a warewolf and when my sim got taken away to the secret society in university and learning to teleport by the bon voyage ninja.
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    I don't agree with TS4 becoming Awesome- it might be okay to play one day but not Awesome, until or even IF they actually add more building tools like TS2/TS3 had. TS4 is rather boring for me in the same old generic same old same old neighborhoods and clunky backdrops and blurry as heck picture quality.

That's my opinion. :)

Agreed. They can add anything, even pretty well done ( I thought toddlers looked like they were done pretty well, just would want them integrated more with past content would have made them better) I still have no interest because they can top it off with some good stuff, but the base is always going to be the base. The foundation is to creaky and IMO broken, you can't build something awesome off of a POS, IMO.
    I suppose I am an optimist and think that sims 4 has a chance to turn a lot of its downfalls around. I agree about the neighbourhoods, I preferred being able to create my own and think ea made a mistake.
    Sims 2 seemed to have everything I was looking for and more at the time. What can sims 4 offer now to make it a better game or is it just too late to redeem itself.
    Jano wrote: »
    Sims 2 seemed to have everything I was looking for and more at the time.

Ya Sims 2 had everything I was looking for when it launched too. Of course now I want Sims 2 sims and details, in a Sims 3 world, with story progression, and building tools. Not asking for much! :D
    What can sims 4 offer now to make it a better game or is it just too late to redeem itself.

For myself? It is too late. They would literally have to rework the entire base game. I was on the 4 forums for well over a year begging for toddlers. Until of course as time went by I realized that even if they did come (and I never believed they would) that it still would not fix the other issues I have with the game. So I left. There was no point in continuing to follow or give my opinion on something that I knew was never going to be for me.

Like your ideas and am sure it would tick a lot of boxes with many simmers. Would like to keep 4s create a sim though.
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    First, I want to say before some people call me biased that the Sims 2 wasn't my first Sims game, I started playing the Sims 3 first. I haven't even played the Sims 2 much, because I'm waiting for having bought all add-ons before I start playing it seriously.
    Anyway, there is one thing where the Sims 2 is different from everything that was released after it : more than all others, you can feel all the love that was put in it when it was created, and that's why it has so many faithful fans. It has a "soul". Do I need to add anything more :smile:
    I'm still playing sims 2 now on my old windows 7 laptop and there are still things I haven't done with it yet. The only thing I really wished it had had was the ability to have played different versions of the same neighbourhoods like Pleasantview.
    @Candyd Agreed. You can actually feel the heart and soul of the game while playing. There is just something very magical about it. The attention to detail, just immerses me in the game. You can feel the love and effort they put into it.

@Jano I have never used CAS for 4, so I don't have a opinion on that, though a lot of people seem to really like it. So I wouldn't have a issue with it's inclusion. CAS is a very small part of the game for me anyway, I am more focused on game play then what I use to make a sim. :D

Also there is a way to clone a neighborhood so you can have more then one. Note: I have never done this myself, so I have no idea about much of it, only where to find the instructions. :D

https://aldohyde.wordpress.com/sims2cloneneighborhoods/

**Use at your own risk I say!** Maybe @Rflong7 would have more of a idea. :)
  • Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    I like them both but I will have to say TS2 because that was my first intro to the franchise.
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
    Talking of sims 2 is anyone running it on windows 10, the disc version not ultimate collection.
  • KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    Jano wrote: »
    Talking of sims 2 is anyone running it on windows 10, the disc version not ultimate collection.

It runs well for my Win10 Pc with the original disc version, but you need a patch for it to work check this out if you need one. http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game Help:TS2 Patches
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited January 2017
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    I'm an optimist, too, or I wouldn't have kept playing The Sims with all the problems the first Sims game me. I also know the history of The Sims. I waited through TS2 for Makin' Magic to be brought into the future game and all they gave was a little bit of Witches as a side theme of AL. I played through TS3 waiting for them to add all the fun things I like and missed... but at least I had CAW. Now, I understand they want me to keep waiting and being hopeful for SOMETHING I'll enjoy. Well, it won't happen this time. If it grows to be fun then I'll buy some of it at discount. There is nothing fun in it for me at this time. :)

Optimistic is great, knowing the truth is better. :)

I am the opposite I view the world in negative way. Sims 4 was fun for little bit but it gets old. I desire more to the game than what is there. I don't think this game is going to live up to Sims2 standards. Be honest Sims 4 feels somewhat like mmo. We have 2 more years of Sims 4. People get excited over the toddler patch but that was temporary it wears off. It even a alternate time line. It like a soda without carbonated water. A thing a player should keep in mind the more patches the buggy the game gets.
    But to be honest Sims 4 the sims are to happy for their own good. Then we have all this emotions that show up below the sims. Compared to other games. You could tell the emotion by their body language. I hope if they make a game they go back to using body language than using emotion states.
  • RuediiRuedii Posts: 168 Member
    In my opinion Sims 3 is the pinical of the Sims.

They really need to make a remaster of Sims 3 with 8K textures, 64bit mode, and 16 lots loaded at a time. Include all the behaviors and minimal necessary items from the expansions packs and one brand new custom super-sized world that requires the 64bit binary, then have the expansion pack stuff with their world purchasable on the store for the remaster users. Possibly make it an aniversery edition for the next major aniversery of the Sims 3 or orriginal Sims.
    Thanks to Jules1111 and KrayzieStryker for the advice. Will give it a go.

• KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    edited February 2017
    Ruedii wrote: »
    In my opinion Sims 3 is the pinical of the Sims.

They really need to make a remaster of Sims 3 with 8K textures, 64bit mode, and 16 lots loaded at a time. Include all the behaviors and minimal necessary items from the expansions packs and one brand new custom super-sized world that requires the 64bit binary, then have the expansion pack stuff with their world purchasable on the store for the remaster users. Possibly make it an aniversery edition for the next major aniversery of the Sims 3 or orriginal Sims.

I agree to a certain point but i don't want a remaster but a whole new game just with open world and everything that made S3 such an amazing game. I felt that S3 really was the best of the overall experience but i also love S2 even though its already old but at least i have a town editor and every tool to create my own little town at least it felt like i could do so much with the lifes from the Sims. S4 is not bad but it lacks without said tools to create its own town and at least at the moment it doesn't feel like a life simulator to me. But i hope it gets better with all expansions and SPs and GPs.