Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

NO Black Friday discounts

Hawkflight1066Hawkflight1066 Posts: 245 Member
I am gutted. It wasn't until last October that I got a laptop which could play more than the base game and a couple of expansion packs. Since then on Black Friday and at Christmas I got Pets and Seasons half price and eagerly awaited Black Friday this year so I could buy a couple more EPs on sale.
THERE IS NOTHING OF SIMS 3 ON SALE THIS YEAR! I'm so disappointed words cannot express how I feel right now. .

Sorry - I should have said I was looking on ORIGIN for their sale, since I have only ever bought downloadable Sims games from them.

Comments

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    Where are you looking? There are some at great prices from non-Origin retailers.
  • Hawkflight1066Hawkflight1066 Posts: 245 Member
    I shall have to try them. Origin currently has a whole slew of discounts on many of its games, but not on Sims 3. Where else do you recommend?
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Keep an eye on Steam sales. This past summer Steam had the base game and most EPs/SPs on sale at ~75% off. You can register the Steam CD keys on Origin and install via Origin (you cannot mix Steam and Origin installations). The only catch is that you need to buy the base game from Steam before Steam will sell you the EPs/SPs. But including another copy of the base game with a few EPs can still be cost effective depending on the sale discount.

IIRC, Steam had most all the packs and the base game at a big discount last winter sale, so keep an eye out for that too.
    Has anyone used "Empire Gaming"? They have the EP I'd like at a mere £7.99 on sale right now.
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited November 2016
    Amazon is quite cheap, I got a SP and the only EP I was missing from there. The SP was $10 and the EP $20, not too bad for Canada.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    Depends which one you are after. I've seen some cheap on Amazon but others are still quite high.

High End Loft stuff pack is only 1.29 on cd keys at the moment, uk pounds (for some reason my tablet is refusing to do the pound sign).
  • Lilia1971Lilia1971 Posts: 391 Member
    I have bought from Instant Gaming. If you look them up on facebook then go to the shop. They have great prices.
  • WillowG145WillowG145 Posts: 351 Member
    I was disappointed Too. I wanted to buy late night (elevators and more musical instrument felt interesting, even if I have Little interest in the party life). But what have me surprised is that the sims 3 prices on origin are still full!!! Just the same as when I buyed my Expansion At day one!!!
    On instant gaming Late Night is £3.44. Bargain.
  • itsEliseyitsElisey Posts: 396 Member
    Yes, I am devastated. I was just coming to post about it. You beat me to it. This is the second year in a row that they've left Sims 3 players out in the cold. Black Friday is the one time of year that I splurge and buy myself a new expansion pack or two... I only have two to go. I won't buy them at $20 a piece, though. No thank you. They've always been on sale for around $8 this time of year and that was affordable. This is not.

I'm considering the $10 purchase of Sims 4 simply to have it, but I'm not a huge fan of that game.
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    Keep an eye on Steam sales. This past summer Steam had the base game and most EPs/SPs on sale at ~75% off. You can register the Steam CD keys on Origin and install via Origin (you cannot mix Steam and Origin installations). The only catch is that you need to buy the base game from Steam before Steam will sell you the EPs/SPs. But including another copy of the base game with a few EPs can still be cost effective depending on the sale discount.

IIRC, Steam had most all the packs and the base game at a big discount last winter sale, so keep an eye out for that too.

Seconding this: the prices for Steam's summer sale were so low I found it totally worthwhile to get a Steam account and buy a second copy of the Sims 3 base game so that I could buy the 3 EP's and 3 SP's I wanted. The second copy of the base game got me 1000 simpoints as well when I registered it, so all together it was an excellent bargain!

• nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    itsElisey wrote: »
    Yes, I am devastated. I was just coming to post about it. You beat me to it. This is the second year in a row that they've left Sims 3 players out in the cold. Black Friday is the one time of year that I splurge and buy myself a new expansion pack or two... I only have two to go. I won't buy them at $20 a piece, though. No thank you. They've always been on sale for around $8 this time of year and that was affordable. This is not.

I'm considering the $10 purchase of Sims 4 simply to have it, but I'm not a huge fan of that game.

Well, maybe the Sims 3 has become more popular over the past year, a lot of people have come back to it. Why put something on sale people really want and will spend money on?

edited November 2016

Last year around Christmas time Origin had TS3 EPs on sale for....66% off IIRC. Or maybe it was 50% off. I don't remember exactly but it was good enough that I bought Showtime, only to have Steam have a better sale (with SPs too) a few days later :p . Anyways, I think it's too early in the year to get disappointed. There could easily be a sale at the end of year, and it could be better than the "ORIGIN50" promo a few months ago. You never know.

Also, if anyone is interested in Steam sales, consider getting an account now if you don't have one (it's free) and put the TS3 packs you want on your wishlist. Steam will email you if anything on your wishlist goes on sale.

edit: Nevermind that last bit, TS3, EPs, and SPs are on sale on Steam for 75% off ($4.99), until Nov. 29.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2016
    I am gutted. It wasn't until last October that I got a laptop which could play more than the base game and a couple of expansion packs. Since then on Black Friday and at Christmas I got Pets and Seasons half price and eagerly awaited Black Friday this year so I could buy a couple more EPs on sale.
    THERE IS NOTHING OF SIMS 3 ON SALE THIS YEAR! I'm so disappointed words cannot express how I feel right now. .

Sorry - I should have said I was looking on ORIGIN for their sale, since I have only ever bought downloadable Sims games from them.

If you have a cdrom/dvdrom Target is having a huge sale on TS3 and it's EPs. The only one that is more in the TS3 Pets. Rest are either in starter packs (for one price) and or EPs for $16.00 each. I would rather load TS3 without Origin than load it with Origin. (Or any other download manager such as Steam) I play offline so it matters to me,.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SweetJealousySweetJealousy Posts: 362 Member
    edited November 2016
    I just checked Steam and they have all the Sims 3 expansions and stuff packs for around $4.99 right now.
    Unfortunately, I'm looking for Roaring Heights and no one seems to have that one on sale.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I still need two Stuff Packs. Anyone know about the SPs?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • itsEliseyitsElisey Posts: 396 Member
    How does Steam work? Is it similar to origin? Will I be able to play the EPs through Steam if my other games are through Origin?
    How does Steam work? Is it similar to origin? Will I be able to play the EPs through Steam if my other games are through Origin?

Steam sells games on it's website and through the Steam client like Origin does (it actually predates Origin). You cannot mix installations of Steam EPs and Origin EPs. You'd have to get the CD Key for your TS3 Steam purchases (available in the Library of the Steam client) and register them on Origin, and then install through Origin. Once registered with Origin the purchases act like any other Origin purchase.
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited November 2016
    TreyNutz wrote: »

Steam sells games on it's website and through the Steam client like Origin does (it actually predates Origin). You cannot mix installations of Steam EPs and Origin EPs. You'd have to get the CD Key for your TS3 Steam purchases (available in the Library of the Steam client) and register them on Origin, and then install through Origin. Once registered with Origin the purchases act like any other Origin purchase.

Are you sure you have to redownload? That seems like an invitation for all kinds of registry errors not to mention a waste of HD space.
    Are you certain it doesn't work the same as if you had bought a physical copy?
    (Both cloud vendors would read it as long as you register it no?)
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Are you sure you have to redownload? That seems like an invitation for all kinds of registry errors not to mention a waste of HD space.
    Are you certain it doesn't work the same as if you had bought a physical copy?
    (Both cloud vendors would read it as long as you register it no?)

I'm not sure what you mean by "redownload." AFAIK you need to install the Steam client to get the CD Keys, but you don't need to install game purchases from Steam. I didn't. I just registered them on Origin directly and installed via Origin. On my current computer my Steam TS3 purchases have never been installed via Steam, only via Origin.

Steam packages up the games it sells differently than Origin (from what I understand). Patches are included in the downloads, for example. So Steam installs won't work with Origin installs. Registering a Steam purchase with Origin doesn't enable Steam installs to work with Origin installs either. It's one or the other as far an installation goes.

And I think you are correct, installing TS3 and EPs from both Origin and Steam would probably cause a headache. There's no need to do so though. If you purchase on Steam you just register the CD Keys on Origin and install via Origin; there is no need to install the Steam versions. Unfortunately the reverse doesn't work. Those who want to stay on patch 1.67 by switching to Steam cannot register Origin purchases with Steam; those people would have to buy everything from Steam (and some have).
  • KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    Yes Steam is very good to use and they are having a sale right now go take a look if you're interested. (Steam has other games not just Sims 3)

And Sims 3 is at the price of $4.99 at Steam.

However it might be a bit if you're still waiting for Origin to go on sale.
    I went to Instant Gaming - I'd never heard of them before, being a cautious Origin only player. They have fantastic bargains at the moment. I bought Supernatural, panicked a bit about how to get it installed until I noticed Origin was busy downloading it, managed to do a one click registration with EA through Instant Gaming without a hitch and then I played quite happily for a couple of hours and everything seems fine. So I'm going there again to buy some more stuff........ Great big hugs to Lilia 1971 and thanks too, for the information about Steam. My brother in law recommends Steam every time, but it sounded a tad more complicated than Instant Gaming's pay and get it instantly set up.
    WillowG145 wrote: »
    I was disappointed Too. I wanted to buy late night (elevators and more musical instrument felt interesting, even if I have Little interest in the party life). But what have me surprised is that the sims 3 prices on origin are still full!!! Just the same as when I buyed my Expansion At day one!!!

Tell you what, Willow. I have Late Night. Those elevators suck. They are dreadful. Getting to and from clubs with elevators takes so long it's unbelievable. And the clubs are usually empty when you get there - no one to talk to to raise charisma. In fact other sims are pretty thin on the ground in Late Night. You rarely see anyone apart from your own family unless you have a party. I have found that Late Night is best approached when you have skilled up your sims in a different world and just want to enjoy the nightlife with no pressure to get famous or succeed. I go there for a bit of city life, a break from gardening, and then my sims go back to the countryside. The BEST thing about Late Night is the subway system. I've put subways into my other worlds for a quick fund raising exercise. Your busking Sim makes a fortune in those stations. BUT - the skill points don't raise. So you need to practice at home or outside the café to get skills points, and busk for cash only down the subway. Watch out for the muggers..... You may like the look of LateNight, but it's not the easiest world to play if you don't have many skills points. And a non famous sim can't even get into many of the clubs without bribing the doorman.
    I went to Instant Gaming - I'd never heard of them before, being a cautious Origin only player. They have fantastic bargains at the moment. I bought Supernatural, panicked a bit about how to get it installed until I noticed Origin was busy downloading it, managed to do a one click registration with EA through Instant Gaming without a hitch and then I played quite happily for a couple of hours and everything seems fine. So I'm going there again to buy some more stuff........ Great big hugs to Lilia 1971 and thanks too, for the information about Steam. My brother in law recommends Steam every time, but it sounded a tad more complicated than Instant Gaming's pay and get it instantly set up.

Glad I could help. I was worried the first time I used then but have used them loads since and it works great. Just wish they had all the store worlds on there.
  • yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited November 2016

LMAO. You obviously need to get out of this small town of Origin you call home more. Have you tried taking the cyber highway to Steam?

http://store.steampowered.com/dlc/47890/

Take advantage of these while you can. Also note installing the EPs/SPs is WAY more easier than using Origin

All EPs ($55) + SPs($40) = whopping $95 total from today until whenever Black Friday ends......

Now it suddenly hit me I could've had saved myself the aggro of 6+ years and over $400+ by waiting for this massive Steam discount. LOL