Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to grow a Sims YouTube channel?

Hey guys,

So I have a channel http://www.youtube.com/c/ThomasTV1 where I enjoy making Sims videos. I have 2 LPs, I make a range of speed builds, CASs, collabs, etc.

Although I really enjoy making my videos, I'm not seeing many results. My watch times are terrible and sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time on some types of videos, and nobody watches them, it demotivates me sometimes but at the end of the day I still love what I do!

So do you guys have any tips on how to grow my channel? I know one thing to do is be original but I find that harder and harder everyday, haha! :P

Comments

• abielleabielle Posts: 1 New Member
    Bumping. I would also like to know the answer to this. O_o
  • SimGamer15SimGamer15 Posts: 2,019 Member
    Post on sims forums. Post on social media.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I'm new at this as well, but I think one essential factor is *time*. The longer time and more vids might give more views and followers. And more views and followers might again trigger new views and followers... Don't expect a rapid growth, instead make sure you enjoy your vids and creating them.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • happygurlhappygurl Posts: 1,005 Member
    I've been doing Let's Plays for a year and a half and get very few views. It would be nice for me to get more, but I keep doing them anyway because I enjoy it. It's fun for me to go back to a year ago and watch what I was doing in an LP. Right now I'm mostly doing it for myself, although (I won't lie) I'd love to have some viewers. So if you enjoy doing them, don't quit. And don't give up on getting those views! :)
    InstantGif_2020.12.01_18.10.gif?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill
  • ajaxpostajaxpost Posts: 4,200 Member
    I don't have a Youtube channel but I have taken many Marketing courses and watched a lot of Sims videos on YouTube so I can offer you some suggestions.

... Lots of great advice ...

I hope this helps you and you get more viewers and subs! :) You have good content- you just need to work on your marketing!
    Thank you, that is some very useful advice, I'm sure many 'novice' and even some 'experienced' Youtubers will find this helpful :star:

I know I will.
  • ajaxpostajaxpost Posts: 4,200 Member
    happygurl wrote: »
    I've been doing Let's Plays for a year and a half and get very few views. It would be nice for me to get more, but I keep doing them anyway because I enjoy it. It's fun for me to go back to a year ago and watch what I was doing in an LP. Right now I'm mostly doing it for myself, although (I won't lie) I'd love to have some viewers. So if you enjoy doing them, don't quit. And don't give up on getting those views! :)
    Excellent points. I started Youtube last December, not really knowing what I was doing, and with rubbish equipment. My equipment is a bit better and hopefully my presentation has also improved :)

Since then I have acquired 42 subscribers and it often takes a few weeks to get views into two figures! But, as @happygurl says, I do it because I like playing the game, narrating the curious things my Sims do, and experimenting, in a very modest way, with video editing and thumbnails.

Unless you're hoping to make a career out of being a Youtuber, as long as you're enjoying the process I wouldn't worry too much at all about the numbers ... in fact having only a few subscribers makes each new comment or subscriber even more exciting. :)

Good Luck!
  • xoFireflyxoFirefly Posts: 40 Member
    @Marmalade27 Those were excellent pointers! I am going to use those tips for my channel as well. Thank you so much!
  • Marmalade27Marmalade27 Posts: 625 Member
    @xoFirefly: You're welcome! :) Good luck with your channel!
  • wrenstaleswrenstales Posts: 777 Member
    Another good pointer is to watch other Sims channels and leave a nice comment. It makes them feel appreciated and they are likely to return a favour by watching your channel.
  • XlucidelliaXlucidellia Posts: 13 New Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTpCS1_yCb8
    i can feel myself being unmotivated by the lack of results from my videos.but i continue because i actually enjoy playing and creating sims, but i feel like i do all of this for nothing tbh
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    Thanks for the advice! I just started making videos, and it's really fun! I'm trying not to get too caught up in caring about views, but I must admit, I sometimes miss the lack of feedback in comments. Like, I'd love it if, even if only one person watched, if I knew if that liked anyone it, if they thought something was funny, if they thought it sucked and why, that sort of thing. It's hard to know how to improve if youdon't get much feedback on what you're making. I try and watch my videos critically and keep trying to make them into something/I/ like more, but I'm sure there's things I'm missing, lol. Anyway, it's great to have a place to talk about this sort of thing!

Here's a link to my channel, in case anyone feels like giving some specific advice!
  • AYawningCatAYawningCat Posts: 1 New Member
    I too have created a channel just recently and would definitely love some support from the Simming community so if you could or want to you can check out my channel right here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_BSBe4nrt_ng0TpTE9BTAw . I am starting the channel off with an LP inspired by the Parenthood Game Pack! Also I will be using the tips posted above. Commenting on videos shouldn't be hard for me I do it on my viewer account all the time
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Youtube has very indepth tutorials of how to do this. One old secret is to follow other people and then invite them to also follow you. It's an inside crowd on Youtube. I decided a long time ago I would not be part of some of the shananigans of how people get hits on their channels.

If you want Youtube to really boost your channel you can agree (long contract) to collect money for ads, which no one should be doing since EA owns the software we use to promote ourselves with Sim videos. But it seems that's really no longer illegal in some cases, depends on the Youtube user and how popular EA thinks they can be. EA also pays users or offers perks for some. But there are tutuorials for how to do all this on Youtube no matter what it is you are trying to promote. It can be done, and very quickly but it's up to you how you want to get actual subscribers who aren't part of this Youtube insider game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • BitsimsBitsims Posts: 2 New Member
    I am just starting a sims channel or going on to "sims Tube" idk if any of u want to but go subscribe Ill be doing lets plays and builds and cas and stuff but I want a crowd of people who actually watch the sims AND ALSO anyone have tips to starts a sims channel?? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQB5SESseogJjEN5RxImAPw
  • WelshyWelshy Posts: 43 Member
    I would also like to know this :P
  • SsimBeanSsimBean Posts: 154 Member
    I started my own Sims YouTube Channel a few weeks ago and would appreciate it if you could check it out and maybe give some advice! I'm really new to it so please don't be too harsh :) I upload challenges and makeovers so far but I will be including a story based lets play and speedbuilds!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL2lMaOTC7evOdZXOhQtMLw
  • SsimBeanSsimBean Posts: 154 Member
    I have a slightly new YouTube Channel! Please come along and have a gander if you can! So far I have started a couple of challenges and posted a CAS townie makeover video!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL2lMaOTC7evOdZXOhQtMLw
  • MyInnerSimMyInnerSim Posts: 215 Member
    > @Marmalade27 said:
    > I don't have a Youtube channel but I have taken many Marketing courses and watched a lot of Sims videos on YouTube so I can offer you some suggestions.
    >
    >
    > I hope this helps you and you get more viewers and subs! :) You have good content- you just need to work on your marketing!

Wow, thank you so much for this post. I've recently started making videos for youtube and the part about the tags, especially, was extremely helpful :)

Here's the link if anyone fancies taking a look at my channel :) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCig7ohrgYn0YiHpc1YbjGOw
    My YouTube channel and Twitter account have recently undergone a name change and are now Tamz Playz, for everything else I am still My Inner Sim.
  • thundergimmickthundergimmick Posts: 140 Member
    Let's plays, Create certain sims (celebrities, etc), speed builds, tips and tricks, cheats.
    tumblr_mjgcdaX8gw1rfyso2o1_500.gif
  • dalt2121dalt2121 Posts: 11 New Member
    Hey Guys, whats up! I think that starting this thread was an amazing idea for smaller youtubers like us. I started my youtube channel a few months ago and haven't posted very much on it, because of school.

At the moment, I am just posting Create A Sims, and will soon be starting to incorporate Current Households and then eventually some Lets Plays. I mainly focus on The Sims 3, because I really enjoy playing The Sims 3 over The Sims 4. I would really appreciate if you could like, comment, subscribe, to my channel. That way I can check your guys channels outs and we can become close friends!

(As I'm a new member on here too, I can't post the link but if you search Wolfsimmer in YouTube, you should be able to find me. My banner has my name Wolfsimmer, with the quote Just Be You, under it.)
  • fidelis_x0fidelis_x0 Posts: 74 Member
    Thank you for the great advice in this thread!

I am slowly starting up my YouTube channel. Just completed and uploaded my channel art tonight.

My videos will be coming soon!
  • Tealy_BananaTealy_Banana Posts: 9 New Member
    I also have a new YouTube channel but I'm struggling to get any views or subscribers, Any constructive comments would be really useful ;)
    Also fidelis_x0 how do you make channel art?
  • Tealy_BananaTealy_Banana Posts: 9 New Member
    > @fidelis_x0 said:
    > Thank you for the great advice in this thread!
    >
    > I am slowly starting up my YouTube channel. Just completed and uploaded my channel art tonight.
    >
    > My videos will be coming soon!

My channel is called Tealy Banana if anyone has time to watch some of my videos.
  • gardening15gardening15 Posts: 1 New Member
    I love this thread! Please subscribe to my channel on youtube! Kinslea music. I am struggling to get more subscribers.
    Kinslea music...
    follow me and i'll follow you! Thank you! :)