Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim neighbors in the apartment building are rude!

I did the annoying welcome wagon event that happens when you start in the new apartment, so that's done then you go to cook your dinner, a neighbor tries to invite her self for dinner. My sim isn't even a good cook at level 1 yet. I just find it rude and I know it's just a game, but in RL my neighbors don't even do that.

Also, I am curious to what you guys think of the welcome wagon event, it doesn't really do much other than it's just annoying to me. I ignore it and go about what I want to do and only once I did that small event.

Comments

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    I like the welcome wagon in general.
    It adds some life and gives my sims some possible social contacts.
    I usually just focus on the sims that I wouldn't my sims having a friendship.

If I can't be bothered I just cancel the event.
    On time I had my sims go somewhere else.
    The welcome wagon seemed a bit miffed.
    11-08-16_1-06-03nbspAM.png
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • FiestyKatnissFiestyKatniss Posts: 84 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

Well, I agree it does add a bit life to the sims. Though I have notice in the social aspect of it if I have computer, she does nothing but chat. Why would there be fruitcake on the ground. The welcome wagon, is a love or hate thing, if you find it fun that's all that matters, just I think they could have the unplayed sims have some sense to put it on the counter or table.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    I think it's a very nice addition to the game. In RL, years ago, this was something that was done. In fact as late as 1983, when my hubby and I bought our very first house it was about 50 miles inland from where we used to live, so we were starting all over again, effectively. The neighborhood was a very old one, inasmuch, as it was the very first established neighborhood in that city. Our house had been built in 1913, the sidewalks put in in 1910. It was quaint. Seems many of the people on our block also kept up with old values and traditions. We had a group who came to our front door, introducing themselves and giving us some lovely treats, too. Ultimately, we met most of the folks on the block. It was very nice. Warmed my heart to no end. Sadly, ten years later when we moved half a mile away, we got no such welcome to that neighborhood. We never did meet many of our 'neighbors'. It was a bit cold. Same thing in our new State. The only way we've met people in our small sub-division is upon attending the HOA meetings. They even knew I'd been horribly sick and yet not one EVER stopped in to see how I was. Pity, that. Nearly ten years later and I still feel like an outsider. :'(

So, having this nice gesture in the game is a sweet memory for me. Takes me back to a time in our society when people were kind to each other.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    I think it's a very nice addition to the game. In RL, years ago, this was something that was done. In fact as late as 1983, when my hubby and I bought our very first house it was about 50 miles inland from where we used to live, so we were starting all over again, effectively. The neighborhood was a very old one, inasmuch, as it was the very first established neighborhood in that city. Our house had been built in 1913, the sidewalks put in in 1910. It was quaint. Seems many of the people on our block also kept up with old values and traditions. We had a group who came to our front door, introducing themselves and giving us some lovely treats, too. Ultimately, we met most of the folks on the block. It was very nice. Warmed my heart to no end. Sadly, ten years later when we moved half a mile away, we got no such welcome to that neighborhood. We never did meet many of our 'neighbors'. It was a bit cold. Same thing in our new State. The only way we've met people in our small sub-division is upon attending the HOA meetings. They even knew I'd been horribly sick and yet not one EVER stopped in to see how I was. Pity, that. Nearly ten years later and I still feel like an outsider. :'(

So, having this nice gesture in the game is a sweet memory for me. Takes me back to a time in our society when people were kind to each other.

I love old buildings ...I have City Life, and I placed my Sim in an apartment that had the historic and haunted traits and I put fast internet for the third. I am actually jealous of my sim when it's easy to make friends while my rl ones who I thought were my friends aren't and I don't know why. when they just ignore me and I don't even know what I did. SO I have one I'm happy I can deal with one, besides my 16 year relationship with my boyfriend ok going of topic here, sorry lol.

I agree though welcome wagon is a nice touch like I said, it's a love and hate thing :)
  • Bert1701Bert1701 Posts: 159 Member
    I like the welcome wagon too, it's a good way for your sim to meet new sims when they move to a different neighborhood. I kind of wish it happened IRL too. I recently moved 200 miles south of where I was for a job and I don't know anybody here. Occasionally I see one of my neighbors as I'm leaving for work but other than that I've not spoken to one of them so it can feel a little lonely here occasionally. Plus it'd be awesome if someone brought me fruitcake!

Back on topic; the only one I find odd is when Sims knock on the door saying that it sounds like something awesome is happening and can they come in. Seems a bit rude to try and barge in, and usually it's just my sim singing in the shower anyway. :D
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I like welcome wagons, if I'm not in the mood (say I'm just testing something) I'll just ignore them.

I also like that the neighbours are rude and invite themselves over. It's realistic to have those annoying neighbours and I think it's really funny. XD
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    So you're saying that it's rude to have a welcome wagon? Well then!
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Nh6650Nh6650 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I like the welcome wagons. It is nice that my sims can meet new people when they move in.
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member

At least they left the fruitcake

DeKay wrote: »
    So you're saying that it's rude to have a welcome wagon? Well then!

Nope just frustrating, and fun depends on the mood I am in I guess.
  • tobumontobumon Posts: 680 Member
    edited November 2016
    Arletta wrote: »

At least they left the fruitcake

Unless you reaaaalllly hate fruitcake, like me.

I like welcome wagons. That never happens IRL to me.
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    I like the welcome wagon. >.< It's easy enough to cancel it if I'm not in the mood (but usually I just leave them on the porch and laugh at their failed attempt to snoop on my sim).

I also really love that the sims ask to come over for dinner. I DO have a neighbor in real life that does this (she's awesome, so I actually don't mind. lol Her hubby is often deployed, so I think she's just lonely.) In regard to the sims asking to dine with my sim, though, if I don't want that to happen, I just reject their request and they go away.

I have no problem with either feature, because they're both delightfully optional (which is a key point to any feature, for me).
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
    I like the welcome wagon. >.< It's easy enough to cancel it if I'm not in the mood (but usually I just leave them on the porch and laugh at their failed attempt to snoop on my sim).

I also really love that the sims ask to come over for dinner. I DO have a neighbor in real life that does this (she's awesome, so I actually don't mind. lol Her hubby is often deployed, so I think she's just lonely.) In regard to the sims asking to dine with my sim, though, if I don't want that to happen, I just reject their request and they go away.

I have no problem with either feature, because they're both delightfully optional (which is a key point to any feature, for me).

That's understandable :) I mean I admit that my neighbor introduced herself few years ago when I moved here, she was very nice and she was alone too. So but I don't know I was always told it was rude to invite yourself..my Sim should just give in and enjoy rather be kept to herself.
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    @FiestyKatniss Oh it's definitely more forward than is typically considered polite, and I'm sure most people do consider it extremely rude, but it totally happens in apartments and townhouses anyway. LOL
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • lmusiclmusic Posts: 288 Member
    I like the welcome wagon but for some reason in my game, despite inviting them in and socializing they usually say 'oh I guess i'm not wanted here'.