Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Real Apartments vs. Plastic/Rubbery Apartments (Pics)

Comments

• Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    When asked why the bear in Outdoor Retreat was a fake, hideously creepy costume, Grant literally said to make a real bear would be too difficult and expensive.

Yes, because making a fully animated bear that has literally 3 interactions wouldn't raise the price for a GP costing 20$ would it? It's not like completely modeling, rigging, and animating one single feature for a pack that doesn't even focus on bears wouldn't be a huge waste of resources would it? Yes, let's just have a fully modeled, entirely detailed bear that's completely a side feature get half the resources and budget for the pack. I mean, it's not like the rest of it would've suffered as a result would it?
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    baddazonerbaddazoner Posts: 573 Member
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    The too expensive too complex thing have been said over and over again to anything that needs animation and it was said by different gurus. I don't know since when you have been on forums but others can support what I am saying. They said it for toddlers, they even said it for pools, they said it for lounge chair animation! How do you think I have memorized it? From repeating it again and again. Too expensive, too complex. Remember that.

Too expensive, too complex, not enough man hours. That has been the dev's rallying cry since well before release. This definitely isn't the first time we've heard that.
    bekkasan wrote: »
    If there is an expansion is the key phrase. Let us hope if there is one, that they are not tied to kennels or stables or cat towers. That would be insane, but they have done it before (babies) so there is precedence and of course all those awful, awful animations they would have to make, and all those awful, awful multi tasking problems that would create a horrible nightmare for them. Just never mind.....no pets indeed. Too many problems, too many headaches, would cost too much on the budget so, nope, never mind. Currently have 3 dogs, 3 cats, 2 horses in my Sims3 game....love them and nope, not a nuisance. Wonderful addition to the game play. Hope IF you get them, they are done right. But, not betting my cash on it. History and current issues just don't make that a good bet. :(

Well, we got what, maybe 2 EP's to come? I dunno if pets will make the cut or not, I personally kinda doubt it. Even if they do I wouldn't be surprised at all if they end up objects like babies.

I don't think Pet will come. They are too complex for this game and need lots of animation so they fall in the TOO expensive category.

I think seasons will come but it will be a vacation world with one exclusive season that is winter. Summer we already have in the game.
    So all the worlds we have will be summer and that new world will have a winter season. This vacation/season EP is one of their ideas/plans that came in one of the surveys and its limitations fit The Sims 4 to the T.

So basically all worlds will be stuck with one weather. If you want to experience winter move to the new world. I would say all the lots in the new world would be fixed too. Of course that if there will be another EP.

seasons might be like how it was in sims 2 each lot is different in a world

or just one world with seasons and the others just have weather effects like rain

with all the other limitations i don't see how they'll make seasonal effects on all worlds.... or they'll just not make seasons at all

• Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    SimFan298 wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Can I just point out that yes, you can TECHNICALLY build apartments in Sims 2, but you needed a cheat for them to be classified as an apartment lot, and doing so caused bugs for me. It just annoys me that everyone fails to mention this one little thing, and that its technically not a feature of TS2: AP.
    I never needed to use cheats unless you go out of it's parameters. I have been building apts in Sims 2 since the EP cam out.

Can you explain to me how to make an apartment WITHOUT the use of cheats, and not have it just be a normal lot that HAPPENS to look like an apartment? Because if you are able to without cheats, I would've figured it out by this point.

Here, watch these videos. Very easy tutorial.
    The main object you need to use is the door with the doormat

Sims 2 apartments are the best and the easiest to make. Very easy to make, you can make them from scratch in any design you want and any where. The apartments can have NPC roommates and add to all this that there is no loading screen when visiting your sims. So many positives

https://youtu.be/5aQmLBre0BM

https://youtu.be/AaoEx0JJmSQ

https://youtu.be/iy5Ah44pD7M

Look, in my game at least, to make the game register the lot as an apartment, as opposed to a residential lot with a building that LOOKS like an apartment, you need to use a cheat to change the lot. Seriously!

And your point is? You just need to enable buydebug which is not a big deal and you don't need CC or mods. The developers gave us the tools even if they were hidden. In TS4 you can't even cheat your way into creating an apartment; that's how limited this game is.
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    baddazoner wrote: »
    The too expensive too complex thing have been said over and over again to anything that needs animation and it was said by different gurus. I don't know since when you have been on forums but others can support what I am saying. They said it for toddlers, they even said it for pools, they said it for lounge chair animation! How do you think I have memorized it? From repeating it again and again. Too expensive, too complex. Remember that.

Too expensive, too complex, not enough man hours. That has been the dev's rallying cry since well before release. This definitely isn't the first time we've heard that.
    bekkasan wrote: »
    If there is an expansion is the key phrase. Let us hope if there is one, that they are not tied to kennels or stables or cat towers. That would be insane, but they have done it before (babies) so there is precedence and of course all those awful, awful animations they would have to make, and all those awful, awful multi tasking problems that would create a horrible nightmare for them. Just never mind.....no pets indeed. Too many problems, too many headaches, would cost too much on the budget so, nope, never mind. Currently have 3 dogs, 3 cats, 2 horses in my Sims3 game....love them and nope, not a nuisance. Wonderful addition to the game play. Hope IF you get them, they are done right. But, not betting my cash on it. History and current issues just don't make that a good bet. :(

Well, we got what, maybe 2 EP's to come? I dunno if pets will make the cut or not, I personally kinda doubt it. Even if they do I wouldn't be surprised at all if they end up objects like babies.

I don't think Pet will come. They are too complex for this game and need lots of animation so they fall in the TOO expensive category.

I think seasons will come but it will be a vacation world with one exclusive season that is winter. Summer we already have in the game.
    So all the worlds we have will be summer and that new world will have a winter season. This vacation/season EP is one of their ideas/plans that came in one of the surveys and its limitations fit The Sims 4 to the T.

So basically all worlds will be stuck with one weather. If you want to experience winter move to the new world. I would say all the lots in the new world would be fixed too. Of course that if there will be another EP.

seasons might be like how it was in sims 2 each lot is different in a world

or just one world with seasons and the others just have weather effects like rain

with all the other limitations i don't see how they'll make seasonal effects on all worlds.... or they'll just not make seasons at all

One lot thing is not possible because in TS2 the one lot was just one square. In TS4 one lot is the square plus the public areas so that is not possible.

I think each world will have one season only. The new world might have rain or ice. They cannot change the paintings in the backdrops for each world for seasons. This is too expensive and too complex. The easier and the cheaper option will be the one that they implement.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    mrnhmathmrnhmath Posts: 750 Member
    Actually in Sims 2 to change a residential lot to a apartment lot you have to use this cheat: changeLotZoning apartmentbase
    Well, better having a true apartment system rather than fluctuating residential lots that looks like fake apartments.
  • Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    One lot thing is not possible because in TS2 the one lot was just one square. In TS4 one lot is the square plus the public areas so that is not possible.

I think each world will have one season only. The new world might have rain or ice. They cannot change the paintings in the backdrops for each world for seasons. This is too expensive and too complex. The easier and the cheaper option will be the one that they implement.

I doubt we will see a full Seasons EP. More likely we will get a GP with a 'winter world' in it and a few winter related items/interactions.

• Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    mrnhmath wrote: »
    Actually in Sims 2 to change a residential lot to a apartment lot you have to use this cheat: changeLotZoning apartmentbase
    Well, better having a true apartment system rather than fluctuating residential lots that looks like fake apartments.
    That is indeed all you have to do to make actual apartments in TS2... Wish we had such options in TS4 as well...
  • Options
    Omri147 wrote: »
    That is indeed all you have to do to make actual apartments in TS2... Wish we had such options in TS4 as well...

And there is other ways? :D
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member

In TS2, there's only one simple way.
    In TS4, there is none... :no_mouth:
  • Options

In TS2, there's only one simple way.
    In TS4, there is none... :no_mouth:

Ahh, now i see your point, totally agreed :p
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    edited November 2016
    In sims2 I built an apartment with a lounge in the communal area that had a bar a banquet table and a stage set up with musical instuments. Also one of those card tables that attracted sims from all over. Then on the otherside I made a gym. I loved the fact that any of the other apartment dwellers also used all the facilities , It was like my own little open world. Why can't we get something like this again ?
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    lotarylotary Posts: 111 Member
    ebuchala wrote: »
    lotary wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Also, as per, you missed what was said about Apartments.

Grant has already said other types of Apartments aren't ruled out of The Sims 4's future, but City Living focused on High Rises, which are always shells. They need shells for High Rises.

But they haven't attempted ground level Apartments, and Grant didn't rule them out.

Can you share the source? From what I understand it's impossible to make a buildable apartment. I like to be proven wrong, though.

@SimGuruEugi explained it a bit in the Simulation Tech Talk thread. Not sure where Grant mentioned it but it sounds the same as what Eugi was saying--they made a conscious choice to go with this style because they wanted to make high-rises which isn't something they could make buildable without making some major changes. Definitely made it pretty clear that buildable low-level apartments are possible, just not what they wanted for this pack.

Also, I guess that's all explained in this blog post, as well: https://www.ea.com/news/concept-to-completion-apartment-tech-sims-4

Ah, so it is. Thanks for the info :)
    Origin ID: lotary00
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    aclavo wrote: »
    We can build apartments in game, you can use the lock system for the effect. Honestly the only thing missing is an actual Apartment lot type designation, that's it.

You are missing the point. An apartment building means having 4 households on one single lot. Each household having their own apartment. There is no way you can do this!

Yes I have attempted what you are saying using the lock and using the more than 8 sims mod and also money in inventory mod but still all the families will be active at the same time. it is not possible but this is the closest I could play having apartments.

Do you have a link to the 'money in inventory' mod?
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member

I doubt we will see a full Seasons EP. More likely we will get a GP with a 'winter world' in it and a few winter related items/interactions.

Weather is literally effects. Just add spawners for each season, season related activites and other such stuff. You know. Like they did last time. They have said repeatedly over and over again that Pets and Seasons are possible in TS4, and people still say they will never come. They are literally banging their head against a brick wall, expecting it to break, yet it won't budge because it's too set in it's ways.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Weather is literally effects. Just add spawners for each season, season related activites and other such stuff. You know. Like they did last time. They have said repeatedly over and over again that Pets and Seasons are possible in TS4, and people still say they will never come. They are literally banging their head against a brick wall, expecting it to break, yet it won't budge because it's too set in it's ways.

Saying those things are possible is not saying they will come in the ways we expect, or that they will come at all. That is simply a PR statement, nothing more. Remember how we were told pre-launch that this game could do everything we wanted and more? Same thing here, just different words. We've seen how well their game has lived up to that inflated comment.
  • Options
    aclavo wrote: »
    We can build apartments in game, you can use the lock system for the effect. Honestly the only thing missing is an actual Apartment lot type designation, that's it.

You are missing the point. An apartment building means having 4 households on one single lot. Each household having their own apartment. There is no way you can do this!

Yes I have attempted what you are saying using the lock and using the more than 8 sims mod and also money in inventory mod but still all the families will be active at the same time. it is not possible but this is the closest I could play having apartments.

Do you have a link to the 'money in inventory' mod?

The money mod basically is an object you buy and put it in the inventory. It does not depreciate in value so it is intact.
    The object comes in coins different values and in cheques.
    I find it very useful when I want to separate individual money of sims and keep them in their inventories.

Its a mod/object made by treelife

treelifecreations.tumblr.com/post/139780852677/simoleon-cheques-for-transferring-larger
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options

No it isn't like last time anymore. They have to change the backdrop painting for each world according to the weather.
    Saying something is possible doesn't mean it will be ideal. With shortcuts everything is possible.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2016

No it isn't like last time anymore. They have to change the backdrop painting for each world according to the weather.
    Saying something is possible doesn't mean it will be ideal. With shortcuts everything is possible.

To be fair, TS3 also used backdrops (they're called distant terrains and are considered large low-poly objects which are placed around the edges of the world in CAW). These terrains were covered with snow in winter (like other objects). So it's technically possible to make backdrops change with weather. However since anything is too hard these days, I doubt they will go through the hassle of making backdrops change this time around. Also they mentioned before CL was released that they can't change the way installed worlds work without messing up our saves, so I think it's unlikely we'll ever see weather (or at least snow) in current worlds...
  • Options
    JasonRMJJasonRMJ Posts: 744 Member
    edited November 2016
    Not to mention they didn't put in any freaking facilities like gyms,cafeteria, etc......Gosh hard to believe for an EP that is about Apartments and the High living..... =.=*.
    Post edited by JasonRMJ on
    39829553185_e53f1e3e20_o_d.jpg

• Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited November 2016
    Personally I think EA did a wonderful job, I get the feeling my sims are in a real city,

Just don't scratch beneath the thin coat of paint or push too hard on the walls... The whole set will collapse.

Post edited by Evil_One on
    raw
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    JasonRMJ wrote: »
    Not to mention they didn't put in any freaking facilities like gyms,cafeteria, etc......Gosh hard to believe for an EP that is about Apartments and the High living..... =.=*.

Psst. There is a gym. It's in Uptown - two stories, fabulous view while you exercise or play rooftop basketball. Plus you can change the venues if you don't want two Karaoke bars or a lounge. I made the warehouse a café.

Also, a cafeteria?? This isn't a University pack. It's a city pack.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    QDog wrote: »

To be fair, TS3 also used backdrops (they're called distant terrains and are considered large low-poly objects which are placed around the edges of the world in CAW). These terrains were covered with snow in winter (like other objects). So it's technically possible to make backdrops change with weather. However since anything is too hard these days, I doubt they will go through the hassle of making backdrops change this time around. Also they mentioned before CL was released that they can't change the way installed worlds work without messing up our saves, so I think it's unlikely we'll ever see weather (or at least snow) in current worlds...

This is a distant terrain from Paris although you don't get weather in the WA destinations. Other distant terrain was like in Sunset Valley where the road would lead to a backdrop which shows a continuation of the world. The worlds themselves are like islands surrounded by what looks like water so unless you use a backdrop, you would always look like you are on an island

15025289_1835817416700942_3394556552846749469_o.jpg
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    QDog wrote: »

They were specifically talking about the lot/household relationship re. the installed worlds. I'd be hesitant to extend that to cover every other imaginable change.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    edited November 2016

They've said before that this engine is capable of "making all our dreams come true", until the time comes to do it then all we hear about is things like technical limitations, too complex, too expensive and get a feature full of cut corners and trade offs.

I'm only trying to align what my expectations of a Seasons EP would be to what we have received already for TS4. /shrug
  • Options

They've said before that this engine is capable of "making all our dreams come true", until the time comes to do it then all we hear about is things like technical limitations, too complex, too expensive and get a feature full of cut corners and trade offs.

I'm only trying to align what my expectations of a Seasons EP would be to what we have received already for TS4. /shrug

Expectations:

sims3snowlarge.gif

What we'll probably end up getting:

Vacation_Island.jpg