Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA you are violating your own terms

Comments

• SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @HappySimmer3

I think your instincts are correct too... since my 3 game has just about been unplayable since the Origin update I decided to reinstall the sims 3 base game to find it has uninstalled all my xp and stuff packs so now they all have to be reinstalled as well which did not happen before. I have also noticed after it reinstalled the base game it says new add on content has been installed so now leaves me wondering just what the heck that is? and its telling me to update my 2 UC and I simply dare not just in case it borks that game as well.. I am surprised its even asking me to update something it usually does all by itself whether I want it or not :)

• Me1620Me1620 Posts: 4,994 Member
    @igazor and @Karritz - Thanks for the responses. I will hope that I won't have to re-install.
    a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I was forced to update to, i wanted to stay at 1.67 but evertime i opened origin it would start updating. i was so 🐸🐸🐸🐸.
    giphy.gif

• The-2-LsThe-2-Ls Posts: 104 Member
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @The-2-Ls

I understand I have had a multitude of problems since the patch and the new Origin update with 2&3 series that I never suffered from before.. Mine patched up even with the auto updates ticked off too... The only game that plays almost perfectly right now is 4 what a surprise..Like you I have not played much 4 but I caught up with buying the the packs now and again knowing that at some point in the future I would probably want to play and then not want to pay out all at once for the packs..-)

If I cannot get my 2&3 series to play properly soon I will have no choice but to get rid of Origin and lose 4 which I don't really want to because I am actually enjoying the new CL pack right now but I don't want my only choice of sims games to be 4 and find it very strange that I am only experiencing issues with the other 2 series I want to play..

I feel for you :( I'd agree with the 'very strange' comment, too. Call me a cynic, but it really wouldn't surprise me if something was going on behind the scenes to 'encourage' us to move on to TS4... Glad you're enjoying the new pack, though! It's just a shame that you're also feeling as if you have to choose between them.

Karritz wrote: »
    @The-2-Ls I'm with you. I haven't uninstalled Origin yet but I haven't launched it for months and am now not game to. I do own Sims 4 but won't be adding any additional content while I'm not game to launch Origin. Neither will I be buying any other new games EA may release while the threat of Origin updating my Sims 3 game exists.

*nods* Yep, it's very short sighted of them. Perhaps if they made a more worthy successor... but I think I'll leave that there. The rest of that sentence would probably be considered as 'casting aspersions' ;)

• AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    What I don't understand is why are they doing this now? The game has been finished for at least 2 years now, so, why all the new updates for sims 3? One of things I was grateful for was eventually that I thought the updates would be finished.

The machine I play the sims on is wonderful, and one of the ways I keep it wonderful is it only occasionally goes online and I'm worried that if I download store stuff for the sims machine that it require an update that the game has to go online. Plus, I don't trust the makers of sims3. I would put it past them to try to smoke us out of the 3 into 4. (Going back to 2 before I do that!) I could see them trying to add new "features" that serve no purpose but to advertise or annoy us back to sims 4.

edited November 2016
    @AthenaOnyx

I am having terrible problems now more than I have ever suffered before in my history of me playing Sims 3 to the point where the tech guns on these forums are scratching their heads somewhat as well, however throughout it all it is only my 3 game that has been effected never 4. I have followed every instruction I can possibly get my hands on to try and resolve this problem but as yet still no solution in sight and while I have joked before about sitting with a tin foil hat on my head and agreeing to similar theories concerning EA/Origin trying to push us all onto 4 I am staring to wonder as if something was broken ( I have a PC build way more than I need to play this game) then it would effect the whole of my PC and all my sims games series and it doesn't just 3..........

Edit: forgot to mention I have been forced to uninstall/reinstall the whole series to try get a fix but while I did not get anything fixed by this method I get nice messages telling me new content has been added to my game, ( or words of similar effect) I am like what???? stop messing with my 3 game for god's sake....
  • SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited June 2018
    I don't use Origin anymore. I took Sims 4 off my system and Origin too
    My game had patched to 1.69 but I rolled my system back using system restore, and I start the game
    bypassing the launcher by clicking on the icon that is on my desktop.

The two stuff packs I had purchased through Origin I bought as disks too.

edit: in light of the recent upset I just had (June 2018), http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/940372/must-be-a-glitch-fruit-all-of-a-sudden-not-available-in-grocery-store#latest have to clarify, this is the game that is on the laptop.
    With the recent upset, was using the game on the desktop that is still connected to Origin.

Post edited by Sapientsimsolid on
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Shortly after the 1.69 patch came out, I uninstalled TS4 and Origin from my desktop. After I did it, I was still able to launch and play TS2 but I wouldn't be surprised if they've changed that too.

But I did not trust them to keep their proverbial grubby paws off of my game, and now that so many people are saying that the patch is downloading even if automatic updates are off, it seems like my mistrust was justified.

I do have a laptop and have kept TS4 and Origin on that, but I don't really play it much. So if it ever tries to update my TS3 game on that laptop I will probably uninstall TS4 and Origin from it, too.
    Knock on wood but that still hasn't happened to me yet. There is a tricky pop up though when you update Sims 4, where you have to choose between three options. Update, update and enable automatic updating again and don't update. Is it possible people accidently pressed that second button? In any case I always pay full attention when I update Sims 4, in case they will suddenly start updating Sims 3 as well unexpectedly.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Jude525Jude525 Posts: 1,699 Member
    Okay, I ended up here following up on a friend's question. It's June 2018. But I've been running 1.67 from a full disc installation since January 2017. In all this time I have never had Origin do more than whine a little about wanting to update my game. I won't uninstall Origin because I own several other games on it, including TS4.

Don't get me wrong, Origin can be a bother and a bully. I'm just saying that once I switched to a disc install and told Origin to leave TS3 alone, it has not interfered. My biggest motivation at the time was not 1.69 v 1.67, that wasn't an issue for me. It was that every time the Origin engine got an update, which seems to happen at least monthly, my game would get wonky for at least a week. Sometimes refusing to load.

Finally, I've done several re-installs over the past year (I'm still learning to manage CC safely) and all I do is:

1: Install base game
    2: run super-patcher
    3: install all packs
    4: install store content
    5: play

Throughout the install process different packs will flash update warnings, but the super-patch has already taken care of it all and in the end it is all set. I've certainly never taken the time to run the game after every pack was installed. I own every pack and, for me, that would just be insane.

After that I'm fine. Until I hit my first piece of bad CC and have to track it down. I've just started using CC Magic, so maybe I've finally got that under control.
    aka Jude
    I own the store as of 1+7/17/17

My Studio

My build thread in the Creative Corner
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2018
    Jude525 wrote: »
    Okay, I ended up here following up on a friend's question. It's June 2018. But I've been running 1.67 from a full disc installation since January 2017. In all this time I have never had Origin do more than whine a little about wanting to update my game. I won't uninstall Origin because I own several other games on it, including TS4.

Don't get me wrong, Origin can be a bother and a bully. I'm just saying that once I switched to a disc install and told Origin to leave TS3 alone, it has not interfered. My biggest motivation at the time was not 1.69 v 1.67, that wasn't an issue for me. It was that every time the Origin engine got an update, which seems to happen at least monthly, my game would get wonky for at least a week. Sometimes refusing to load.

Finally, I've done several re-installs over the past year (I'm still learning to manage CC safely) and all I do is:

1: Install base game
    2: run super-patcher
    3: install all packs
    4: install store content
    5: play

Throughout the install process different packs will flash update warnings, but the super-patch has already taken care of it all and in the end it is all set. I've certainly never taken the time to run the game after every pack was installed. I own every pack and, for me, that would just be insane.

After that I'm fine. Until I hit my first piece of bad CC and have to track it down. I've just started using CC Magic, so maybe I've finally got that under control.
    But Patch 1.69 did not change the game files (except for their internal build numbers to drive the then five, now six Core Mods out there in common usage crazy) or the way in which the game plays at all. All that 1.69 does is force the Origin tie-in requirement and provide the often unstable Pack Chooser part of the Launcher. When someone says they do not care for or they wish to avoid 1.69, Origin annoyances, instability, and the Pack Chooser are exactly what we are talking about because the patch has no other real impact on the game.

Not everyone has a base game disc manufactured before Sept 2012 or all of their EP/SPs on disc to begin with so they would have fewer choices in the matter. Your install sequence is a good one for 1.67 and glad that it works well for you. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited June 2018
    I know what you mean, I tried so long to keep my game from patching,
    but I'm kind of brainwashed by 3.I do find it annoying to have game engines running in the background.
    Even steam forces me to keep it open if I want my games to run.
    And even by passing the launcher no longer works for me.I thought about moving all my games to steam and getting rid of origin, half the time it logs me out or can't stay connected.
    edited June 2018
    Interesting to see how far this thread has come since starting it. Have not read through it all (maybe should) but just recently removed Origin from my (desktop) computer because I wanted the game without Origin because I noticed the fruit we get with Bohemian Garden Set that is usually for sale in the grocery store, wasn't anymore. Its since been cleared up, thank you EA, but when I tried to re - install the game onto my machine without Origin, from the disc, it forced me to install Origin onto my system again.
    I own all the Sims 3 games on disc, and I purchased a few stuff packs through Origin.
    Just informing for those who may be interested.
    I have the game on my desktop with Origin, and on one laptop downloaded from the discs before they required the 1.69 patch.
    The fruit was selling in the grocery store on the game that was on the laptop (without the 1.69 patch)
    When the game came out, we were told we can put it on 5 machines (think they said) but its slowly been reduced (imo due to Origin
    causing so many problems with the game).

Need to add: Really appreciative EA (or whomever fixed it so the fruit is now available in the grocery store again) but would also like to say, we should be able to decide whether or not we want Origin when installing off disc, we should have an option on which installer to use. Its forced on us and don't think that's fair. Seems like the old EA installer was stable, why did we lose it ?
    edited June 2018
    @AthenaOnyx

I am having terrible problems now more than I have ever suffered before in my history of me playing Sims 3 to the point where the tech guns on these forums are scratching their heads somewhat as well, however throughout it all it is only my 3 game that has been effected never 4. I have followed every instruction I can possibly get my hands on to try and resolve this problem but as yet still no solution in sight and while I have joked before about sitting with a tin foil hat on my head and agreeing to similar theories concerning EA/Origin trying to push us all onto 4 I am staring to wonder as if something was broken ( I have a PC build way more than I need to play this game) then it would effect the whole of my PC and all my sims games series and it doesn't just 3..........

Edit: forgot to mention I have been forced to uninstall/reinstall the whole series to try get a fix but while I did not get anything fixed by this method I get nice messages telling me new content has been added to my game, ( or words of similar effect) I am like what???? stop messing with my 3 game for god's sake....

wow sorry you're having so many problems.
    edited June 2018
    @mumu3063 To install the pre 2012 Base Game you will need to patch with the Cumulative Manual Super Patch as soon as the Base Game has been installed.

I would recommend being off line (disconnect you computer from the internet) when installing the Base Game or you will most likely be automatically patched to 1.69 at this point regardless.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/175477/official-ea-download-link-for-the-sims-3-cumulative-manual-update#latest
    this is not possible anymore. They require you to have Origin on your system to install the game now.
    Might be able to install with Origin up to a certain point (1.67 patch) then remove Origin after that, but then you won't be able to install anything else Sims 3 related. That's what happened to me, I bought 2 stuff packs for Sims 3, and I wasn't
    allowed to install them in my game unless I had Origin on my system.

oibpfq.jpg
    Hi @Feythful

I started getting a lot of problems right after the 1.69 patch then the problems got worse when i moved to windows 10 and then even worse after some origin updates, it got to the stage where i was trying to fix my game after updates with hardly anytime to play anymore-)

I have had another hard drive placed in my desktop with windows 7 on it ( I did it this way so i could install both Sims 2&3 on there) .. then without being connected to the internet I installed a pre 2012 3 base game disc followed by all the other game discs in the series and after ITF had installed I used the superpatch.. (I cannot remember if I had to be on line to do this but don't think so as I had already downloaded saved it from an earlier time) The game loads and played fine no origin/internet required but unfortunately for me the sim graphics looked terrible and it has taken me some time to resolve that but now my game runs fine and my graphics are fixed so I am hoping to leave all my Origin/windows 10 woes behind me-)

I read somewhere that the store content had to be downloaded separate for the disc version of the game as opposed to using the digital versions and while I had no clue if this was true or not I used a laptop ran my pre 2012 base game disc and the store allowed me to download all my content so that has now been been added to my game and showing up okay..

I never got an Origin notification at all although i did not go on the internet and if you are using a pre 2012 base game I had no idea that origin can make you use the program and make you patch to 1.69? If Origin can pick up your pre 2012 base game and convert it to the 1.69 patch forcing you back into the digital version of the game I would be tempted to buy another second hand cheap pre 2012 base game and make sure Origin is uninstalled and you have turned off the internet when installing the discs and that should do the trick.

Funnily enough for sims 2 I had to download Origin once to install the UC version then launched the game to create a game folder then changed the exe file in program files as another 2 player had instructed me to then I was able to uninstall origin completely and still be able to launch the 2 series easily-) Of course I did this first before sorting out my 3 game but in some respects 2 was a heck of a lot easier to sort out which I would never have thought it would be lol

I hope you mange to get something sorted out as I know what it feels like when you want to play and cannot..
    Hi @Feythful

I started getting a lot of problems right after the 1.69 patch then the problems got worse when i moved to windows 10 and then even worse after some origin updates, it got to the stage where i was trying to fix my game after updates with hardly anytime to play anymore-)

I have had another hard drive placed in my desktop with windows 7 on it ( I did it this way so i could install both Sims 2&3 on there) .. then without being connected to the internet I installed a pre 2012 3 base game disc followed by all the other game discs in the series and after ITF had installed I used the superpatch.. (I cannot remember if I had to be on line to do this but don't think so as I had already downloaded saved it from an earlier time) The game loads and played fine no origin/internet required but unfortunately for me the sim graphics looked terrible and it has taken me some time to resolve that but now my game runs fine and my graphics are fixed so I am hoping to leave all my Origin/windows 10 woes behind me-)

I read somewhere that the store content had to be downloaded separate for the disc version of the game as opposed to using the digital versions and while I had no clue if this was true or not I used a laptop ran my pre 2012 base game disc and the store allowed me to download all my content so that has now been been added to my game and showing up okay..

I never got an Origin notification at all although i did not go on the internet and if you are using a pre 2012 base game I had no idea that origin can make you use the program and make you patch to 1.69? If Origin can pick up your pre 2012 base game and convert it to the 1.69 patch forcing you back into the digital version of the game I would be tempted to buy another second hand cheap pre 2012 base game and make sure Origin is uninstalled and you have turned off the internet when installing the discs and that should do the trick.

Funnily enough for sims 2 I had to download Origin once to install the UC version then launched the game to create a game folder then changed the exe file in program files as another 2 player had instructed me to then I was able to uninstall origin completely and still be able to launch the 2 series easily-) Of course I did this first before sorting out my 3 game but in some respects 2 was a heck of a lot easier to sort out which I would never have thought it would be lol

I hope you mange to get something sorted out as I know what it feels like when you want to play and cannot..

Sure glad you worked all your problems out !
    Know how it feels to feel like you're spending all your time fixing problems instead of playing the game.
    I purchased Sims 3 by disc when it was released, think in 2009 ?
    Then as time went on they gradually introduced us to Origin, by selling game packs, and stuff packs through it.
    Not knowing where it was leading, a lot of people fell for it, me included.
    Where it was leading was exclusively Origin in all Sims 3 & now 4.
    Currently I use 2 different computers one has Sims 3, & 4 with Origin, the other is a laptop with Sims 3 without Origin.
    That's my setup right now, and what I've stuck with to make it work for me, but thinking about changing it soon.
    Not sure exactly what I'm going to do yet, but mulling it over.
    Not sure how compatible windows and Origin are. People forget its not just about the hardware of a machine that helps a game
    work well or not, its also about the software the system uses and the platform of the system, whether or not they play nice together
    or not.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,918 Member
    faytheful wrote: »
    @mumu3063 To install the pre 2012 Base Game you will need to patch with the Cumulative Manual Super Patch as soon as the Base Game has been installed.

I would recommend being off line (disconnect you computer from the internet) when installing the Base Game or you will most likely be automatically patched to 1.69 at this point regardless.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/175477/official-ea-download-link-for-the-sims-3-cumulative-manual-update#latest
    this is not possible anymore. They require you to have Origin on your system to install the game now.
    Might be able to install with Origin up to a certain point (1.67 patch) then remove Origin after that, but then you won't be able to install anything else Sims 3 related. That's what happened to me, I bought 2 stuff packs for Sims 3, and I wasn't

oibpfq.jpg

I just installed everything on this new computer back in September 2017. But I already owned all the disks.

I have downloaded store content since then and installed it without any problem.

Sims 3 is the only game I have on this computer. If I want to play Sims 4 or Sims City I will need to use my laptop which has everything on it. But I haven't tried to turn it on since I got this new PC and don't know if it still works or not.

oibpfq.jpg

I just installed everything on this new computer back in September 2017. But I already owned all the disks.

I have downloaded store content since then and installed it without any problem.

Sims 3 is the only game I have on this computer. If I want to play Sims 4 or Sims City I will need to use my laptop which has everything on it. But I haven't tried to turn it on since I got this new PC and don't know if it still works or not.

did you have to have Origin on your system to install it ? If not how did you manage that ?

( recalled a few minutes ago, my system was on line when I tried to install by discs, and yours & one of the other
    players wasn't, maybe that's my problem ?

oibpfq.jpg

did you have to have Origin on your system to install it ? If not how did you manage that ?

( recalled a few minutes ago, my system was on line when I tried to install by discs, and yours & one of the other

I don't remember if I was on line or not.

It did ask me to install Origin but I said no.

I have the old version of the Base Game - I got early as I pre-ordered it and picked it up from a local store a day or so after it was released in June 2009.
    edited June 2018

oibpfq.jpg

I don't remember if I was on line or not.

It did ask me to install Origin but I said no.

I have the old version of the Base Game - I got early as I pre-ordered it and picked it up from a local store a day or so after it was released in June 2009.

I do believe my Sims 3 version is an older version too because I purchased it in store when Sims 3 was released in 2009.
    Origin didn't exist then.
    How did you say no to installing Origin ?
    I didn't have an option to say no to install Origin, it just had that big button there, but I was also online.
    Don't know what will happen if I'm not on line. Origin won't have a way to connect then.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    You also have to say no to the EA Download Manager, an offer which is part of the installs on the older discs. The EADM was Origin's predecessor and will do everything in its power to upgrade itself to Origin.

this is not possible anymore. They require you to have Origin on your system to install the game now
    This is it seems what you are experiencing. It is not true for everyone still able to negotiate all-disc installs nor for those of us who have switched over to Steam because we got fed up with Origin (for other reasons).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    igazor wrote: »
    You also have to say no to the EA Download Manager, an offer which is part of the installs on the older discs. The EADM was Origin's predecessor and will do everything in its power to upgrade itself to Origin.

this is not possible anymore. They require you to have Origin on your system to install the game now

This is it seems what you are experiencing. It is not true for everyone still able to negotiate all-disc installs nor for those of us who have switched over to Steam because we got fed up with Origin (for other reasons).

What I experience is exactly what you see there, I didn't click it and made that window close but it was the only option given to me
    to install the game from the disc :/
    Agree EADM will do everything in its power to upgrade to Origin :(
    edited June 2018

What I experience is exactly what you see there, I didn't click it and made that window close but it was the only option given to me

If I was presented with that message with the big INSTALL button and no cancel button I'd click the cross in the top right corner. That usually works just like a cancel button. It is probably what I did because I was highly motivated to avoid installing Origin.

If I was presented with that message with the big INSTALL button and no cancel button I'd click the cross in the top right corner. That usually works just like a cancel button. It is probably what I did because I was highly motivated to avoid installing Origin.

probably what I did too, don't remember exactly what I did, but I closed it somehow looking for another option
    edited June 2018
    @faytheful

Thanks I feel a lot of us have had to jump through a lot of hoops to keep our 3 game for some reason but as @igazor and @Karritz have stated even if you see a origin pop up you can usually click no or click it to close and it will not meddle further with your disc install? Also possibly from what you have said for some reason now despite your base game being 2009 it could be tied into Origin so that's why you are seeing the Origin pop ups? I would uninstall origin and try again and see what happens..

You said you play 3&4 with Origin on one computer maybe just play 3 on your most powerful computer and buy another cheap base pre 2012 base game disc and install without Origin being present or the internet? and play 4 with origin on the other computer?

I defo did not have origin installed or was on the internet when I installed the disc game version of 3 and experienced no problems at all with the install..
    Post edited by SPARKY1922 on