Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Novel Idea! Reading Circle B

Comments

• Options
    JellysimwichJellysimwich Posts: 778 Member
    Kamio wrote: »
    @Jellysimwich - I loved the video! Thanks so much. I know that sounds weird but I love how you describe things :lol:

Hahaha :D What do you mean? Hopefully I didn't repeat myself too much lol
  • Options
    JellysimwichJellysimwich Posts: 778 Member
    @Marialein ooo! Zabu is so handsomely striking here :D
  • Options
    Spottydog714Spottydog714 Posts: 2,518 Member
    So, I guess I'll start with the spotlight, seeing as it's the Bachelorette this week.

Background:

It started off as a mad idea to run competitions involving the readers to decide how well their character does, much like @Carewren123 's Get A Clue. The competitions would run, and then, once there's a winner, I'd create a plot. But people kept asking me if there was a story, so the true love eliminations were born.
    EkpFDaf.png
    Stories: Looking For Mum's Murderer | The Bachelorette | Fifteen
  • Options
    SterretjeeeSterretjeee Posts: 3,019 Member
    edited November 2016
    @Spottydog714 I love how you turned a comp into a story! So after the Bachelorette there will be a follow-up? :blush:
  • Options
    swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    @Spottydog714 I'm a big fan of Bachelorette stories, if you can't tell ;) With so many challenges out there what made you choose to do a bachelorette challenge for your story?

Don't worry I will have many more questions :#
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    So after the Bachelorette there will be a follow-up?

@Sterretjeee There will be an epilogue of Amara's wedding where we will find out what happened to the eliminated contestants. Nearer the time I will start sending invites :)

With so many challenges out there what made you choose to do a bachelorette challenge for your story?

It was on a whim - I just decided one night that it would be a good idea to do The Bachelorette - I love the challenge and you, @swcheppes inspired me to give it a try and the TV format, I think. Also, it meant competitors which would hopefully get more exposure to my blog. :D Shameful, I know. (Oh gosh, that sounds awful out loud. I do care more about the writing than publicity, I promise!)
    EkpFDaf.png
  • Options
    KamioKamio Posts: 2,213 Member
    @Spottydog714 - I really love your format. I found it a little confusing at the start trying to grasp what was going on/the episode and chapter format - clearly have the hang of it now :wink:

Is it bad too ask if you have a favourite contestant? :blush:
    Simming since 2001!! Origin ID: KamioMax[/center]
  • Options
    Kamio wrote: »
    @Spottydog714

Is it bad too ask if you have a favourite contestant? :blush:

I'm curious too! :lol:
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    @Kamio @Sterretjeee

Well, I do... but if I tell you, you'll be like 'why'? And I'll be like, 'erm... I can't say.' And then you'll work out major spoilers. So, sorry, awful answer know.

I have some questions for you guys. And I'd like constructive criticism please.

How easy are the episodes to understand? Ie, do you like how I tell them? Is it too jumpy? Do some bits seem rushed?

And... How can I improve them?
    EkpFDaf.png
  • Options
    CharmingMaruskaCharmingMaruska Posts: 1,051 Member
    Hey @Spottydog714 I just wanted to say that it's okay to want readers and publicity. Seriously, I love people's reactions and while I started this thing just for my own pleasure, I would find it really hard to continue if I lost all my readers. Sharing is why we are doing this publicly, so I really think it's okay to admit you did it to get more exposture! :smile:

(Sorry if this is random, I just wanted to say it, because I saw people around here worried about this and I don't think they should be - it's natural and understandable.)
  • Options
    Hey @Spottydog714 I just wanted to say that it's okay to want readers and publicity. Seriously, I love people's reactions and while I started this thing just for my own pleasure, I would find it really hard to continue if I lost all my readers. Sharing is why we are doing this publicly, so I really think it's okay to admit you did it to get more exposture! :smile:

(Sorry if this is random, I just wanted to say it, because I saw people around here worried about this and I don't think they should be - it's natural and understandable.)

@CharmingMaruska Same! Whenever I get less comments then I used to I start questioning my choices for the chapter! Hence why I try to always comment myself :) But at the end of the day you should be the only person you're writing for
    Also, tips are definitely siggies ;)
    @Kamio @Sterretjeee

Well, I do... but if I tell you, you'll be like 'why'? And I'll be like, 'erm... I can't say.' And then you'll work out major spoilers. So, sorry, awful answer know.

I have some questions for you guys. And I'd like constructive criticism please.

How easy are the episodes to understand? Ie, do you like how I tell them? Is it too jumpy? Do some bits seem rushed?

And... How can I improve them?

@Spottydog714
    The chapters are pretty easy to understand, there is a certain structure that you maintain and it really helps knowing what'll happen when. Maybe a small comment about things starting could make it more clear? But only if you want that clarity.
    I don't think your chapters are rushed at all, but being a little nit-picky I wished you used less of the same sentences. Structure is fine, but by now I know you salute and the other girl kicks of her pumps ;)
    Any questions about what I just said are welcome. From all of you! :)
  • Options
    swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    @Spottydog714 totally agree with everyone else about wanting the publicity and wanting to know people are reading and enjoying your work. I'm pretty sure there isn't a person in this forum who doesn't want that :D

Honestlyi I was a little confused when I first read you story. I think it was because the first few post introducing the guys were titled eliminations. That threw me off a bit. But once we got to the story it was easy to follow along. I do agree with @Sterretjeee with some things being a bit repetitive, the example I'll use is the joke about body parts at the very beginning.

But as I said before I really enjoy your story!
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    KamioKamio Posts: 2,213 Member
    @Spottydog714 - I must be the only one who enjoys the repetitive nature of things aka the salute and heel kick...kind of how I like news anchors and TV show hosts signing in/out with the same tag line.

It's kind of like the intro song to a TV Show - I'd be upset if I didn't get my minute and a half of the same little jingle every episode.
    Simming since 2001!! Origin ID: KamioMax[/center]
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Thank you @swcheppes @CharmingMaruska and @Sterretjeee re publicity. It makes me happy knowing that you guys think it's natrual. And thank you for the positive comments. They made me smile. :) Re the repetitiveness: I'm actually with @Kamio - it's like the theme tune - so I'm sorry you don't like it, but that's not changing :blush: . I'm not just being lazy - there is method to my madness! :p But thank you anyway, and I'm glad you enjoy it none-the-less. But maybe I'll switch the beginning up a bit - I can see how that's annoying to read. =)
    EkpFDaf.png
  • Options
    lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    edited November 2016
    AHH tomorrow I am going to actually get time to sit down and relax with the forum ... I need to catch up in here. But for tonight I needed a distraction from "other" stuff so I am bring you my newest update ... The Charmings are enjoying the beautiful city by the bay .. San Francisco!

https://lisabeesims.wordpress.com/2016/11/09/snow-and-prince-redux-29-they-left-their-hearts-in-sanfrancisco/

11-06-16_2-04-32nbspAM_zps1ahibqkl.jpg
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    VIRTUALEEVIRTUALEE Posts: 2,507 Member
    Introducing Jay's Vlog

1st installment of Jay's Vlog...A 4 min cooking segment

PS Be kind - this is my first Machinima EVER

https://youtu.be/ALqx0a2PNKs
  • Options
    Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    @VIRTUALEE Remind me to never accept Joaquin's invitation for a lunch. :joy:
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
  • Options
    Maladi777 wrote: »

OMG!! Right!!?? LMAO - do you think this is something you would like to see more of? Machinima style vlogs from Jay's perspective?
  • Options
    Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    VIRTUALEE wrote: »
    Maladi777 wrote: »

OMG!! Right!!?? LMAO - do you think this is something you would like to see more of? Machinima style vlogs from Jay's perspective?
    It was your voice that made it so much fun. So anything you'll come up with and give it your voice and humour I'm going to enjoy. :)
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
  • Options
    Sorry for no update today. RL is very busy. Have this instead:

My Blogaversary is coming!
    EkpFDaf.png
  • Options
    @Kamio Pictures, as promised of The Selection Challenge. Lance is the Prince, and he is talking Ira, one of the girls. It then turns into a date.
    DR3miUp.png
    3OU8xDZ.png
    4lQR0Oc.png
    FjBbuhS.jpg
    EkpFDaf.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    @Spottydog714 I have some questions for you and your featured story this week!!

Firstly, know that I adore your talent and creativity. Your stories brighten up my day and make me all warm and fuzzy on the inside. Enough gushing here are my questions for you as a writer and your bachelor story.

Writing Related
    1. What has been the most challenging for you as a simlit author?
    2. What has been the most unexpected thing for you as a simlit author?
    3. What are you looking forward to the most as you continue your journey?

Story Related
    1. Wolfe....did you know he was going to leave so soon in the story? I really liked him. As memory serves me we would see more of him correct?
    2. Amara, what inspired her to be? What characteristics and personality traits can you share with us that maybe we wouldn't expect her to have/posses? And, would you ever pen those into your story?
    3. Can you share with us who has been the most difficult sim to work with in your challenge thus far and why?
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Firstly, know that I adore your talent and creativity. Your stories brighten up my day and make me all warm and fuzzy on the inside. Enough gushing here are my questions for you as a writer and your bachelor story.

Aww, thank you @VIRTUALEE :) I could say the same of yours. :blush:

Writing Related

Taking the screenshots first and then writing about them. In Episode 1, it was hard for me to write believable dialogue and not get it to feel stilted. But I'm learning, and it's getting easier.

How much more real the characters were once I'd made them in CAS. I cannot to save my life, which is why I'm so in awe of @Marialein because she is amazing, so I've never had what they looked like real in front of me, I have always just had them inside my brain, but now I can see them, there are personality quirks I can see in how they look/dress. It makes them more three-dimensional as people. Literally and figuratively! :p

The later stages of Fifteen. My best friend and I are haivng so much fun planning it. And I created a character yesterday. It was brilliant! Fifteen is certainly going to get much more confusing before we get answers.

Story Related
    2. Wolfe....did you know he was going to leave so soon in the story? I really liked him. As memory serves me we would see more of him correct?

I did. @Marialein gave me two characters, one of which had to leave first, and we picked Wolf, not knowing how much everyone would love him. I had him drop out because a contestant dropped out, making the competition uneven. And Zannah/Tristen was something I wanted to explore. But, yes, you will see more of him. I have an interlude planned.

3. Amara, what inspired her to be? What characteristics and personality traits can you share with us that maybe we wouldn't expect her to have/posses? And, would you ever pen those into your story?

Yeah, she's Christian. Most of my characters are, unless I need them to be otherwise, even if it's never mentioned because it's not relevant. It's easier for me to write them, like it's easiest for me to write teenage girls, because I am one. Amara, though, is the most vocal because she has an Isaiah 55:12 tattoo down her arm. I wanted her to have a tattoo, but practically all cc tattoos are full of skulls. *shudders*

4. Can you share with us who has been the most difficult sim to work with in your challenge thus far and why?

John, (sorry @swcheppes ) because I never gave him a strong enough personality for him to work as an interesting character. Spoilers for latest episode of The Bachelorette (two updates ago):
    He sort of stuck around until he got eliminated.
    Amara was also pretty challenging to find her voice, but @Sterretjeee helped hugely with that.
    EkpFDaf.png
  • Options
    CharmingMaruskaCharmingMaruska Posts: 1,051 Member
    @Spottydog714 Who is your favourite character to write? Is he/she also the easiest one?
  • Options

Aww, thank you @VIRTUALEE :) I could say the same of yours. :blush:

Writing Related

Taking the screenshots first and then writing about them. In Episode 1, it was hard for me to write believable dialogue and not get it to feel stilted. But I'm learning, and it's getting easier.

How much more real the characters were once I'd made them in CAS. I cannot to save my life, which is why I'm so in awe of @Marialein because she is amazing, so I've never had what they looked like real in front of me, I have always just had them inside my brain, but now I can see them, there are personality quirks I can see in how they look/dress. It makes them more three-dimensional as people. Literally and figuratively! :p

The later stages of Fifteen. My best friend and I are haivng so much fun planning it. And I created a character yesterday. It was brilliant! Fifteen is certainly going to get much more confusing before we get answers.

Story Related
    2. Wolfe....did you know he was going to leave so soon in the story? I really liked him. As memory serves me we would see more of him correct?

I did. @Marialein gave me two characters, one of which had to leave first, and we picked Wolf, not knowing how much everyone would love him. I had him drop out because a contestant dropped out, making the competition uneven. And Zannah/Tristen was something I wanted to explore. But, yes, you will see more of him. I have an interlude planned.

3. Amara, what inspired her to be? What characteristics and personality traits can you share with us that maybe we wouldn't expect her to have/posses? And, would you ever pen those into your story?

Yeah, she's Christian. Most of my characters are, unless I need them to be otherwise, even if it's never mentioned because it's not relevant. It's easier for me to write them, like it's easiest for me to write teenage girls, because I am one. Amara, though, is the most vocal because she has an Isaiah 55:12 tattoo down her arm. I wanted her to have a tattoo, but practically all cc tattoos are full of skulls. *shudders*

4. Can you share with us who has been the most difficult sim to work with in your challenge thus far and why?

John, (sorry @swcheppes ) because I never gave him a strong enough personality for him to work as an interesting character. Spoilers for latest episode of The Bachelorette (two updates ago):
    He sort of stuck around until he got eliminated.
    Amara was also pretty challenging to find her voice, but @Sterretjeee helped hugely with that.

@Spottydog714 this was incredibly insightful - thanks for the answers I feel like I know you and your main character a bit more. It's will be so wonderful to see your evolution as a person and as an author as you continue this journey.

Also I have one more question for you regarding Amara...

I don't believe we have heard too much about Amara's parents. Can you give us a bit more background and context regarding them and Amara's upbringing?

What do they do?

What is their relationship like?

How do they feel about Amara being a part of this challenge?

If they are supportive, who from the cast are they rooting for?

***OK that was like five extra questions but I am keen on finding out.***