Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimLit Celebrations and Discussions

Comments

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    @Sourocha Thank you for drawing us back to purpose and goal. I very much enjoyed the rabbit trail discussions of SimLit and pictures vs. no pictures, however, I do want us to talk about the awesome stories we're reading.

So that being said, no worries if you don't know much about the current discussion. That's totally fine. I really like CitizenErased14's D2D and I have to get back to reading it. Thanks for the reminder. I can't wait to read A2A also.

Thank you for all your recommendations and shoutouts. I'll be sure to check the stories out. :)

i need to start rips story. its either buried in my reader or i forgot to add it.
  • MedleyMistyMedleyMisty Posts: 1,188 Member
    @AdamsEve1231 Yay! *hugs* I missed you guys too. I will try to be around a bit more.

I don't have an end goal, so my style works for me. Like I really get an awesome creative high from taking pictures of whatever happens in the game and then writing around that. But that's just me and how I work, and we're all different.

I don't know if you've read my comedic stuff. Well, the best example of it disappeared along with the Sims 2 Exchange, so yeah. But there is the Gunky story, where it wasn't the game but the readers and their suggestions for Gunky's actions that provided the randomness that I need to thrive.

It's just...like I know tensions can be a little high around stuff like this. Like I know I get a bit upset when people say that you can't actually write decent stories without CC or poses. But like I said, I'll read anything that's good, and I'm a huge fan of diversity and difference. I like seeing what other people do with CC and poses. I like seeing what other people do with their plans and their graphs and their timelines and all that sort of thing. I don't need other people to be like me. Do what works best for you.
    Sometimes the darkness and I tell stories.
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    @MedleyMisty Thank you for your words. I agree with you about how things can get tense surrounding topics. People have their preferences, and that's fine. I like using CC and poses at times, and other times, I just let things happen in game and I roll with it. I've tried both ways and both ways seem fine to me.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @Jes2G I love it! Bathtub writing! Sounds heavenly. I agree with you. I like the imaginative part of text-based or text-heavy stories. Sometimes I'll imagine something and then I look at someone's picture and think "That isn't right," because it looks different than I pictured it. I adore my Sims though and I like being able to show them off and enjoy the CC and the beautiful vanilla worlds too.

Now I just have to ask @everyone - What's the weirdest/most fun/interesting place you've written your Sims stories or other stories? :p

in bed
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    @Jes2G I love it! Bathtub writing! Sounds heavenly. I agree with you. I like the imaginative part of text-based or text-heavy stories. Sometimes I'll imagine something and then I look at someone's picture and think "That isn't right," because it looks different than I pictured it. I adore my Sims though and I like being able to show them off and enjoy the CC and the beautiful vanilla worlds too.

Now I just have to ask @everyone - What's the weirdest/most fun/interesting place you've written your Sims stories or other stories? :p

Tee hee hee

Just the tub lol. I bought a mostly waterproof notebook so I could actually do it lol.
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
    I don’t think Sims fan fiction and SimLit are the same. Isn’t fan fiction mostly written about characters that are known in a game/show/movie/etc.? I think stories about premades could be fan fic because they are the most widely known characters to a general audience. However, within our own smaller circles, some of our Sims have achieved their own fame much Mr. Tony “Meatball” Corleonesi. I think he goes beyond fan fiction to cult classic lol.
    forum_final.png

Jes2G wrote: »

Tee hee hee

Just the tub lol. I bought a mostly waterproof notebook so I could actually do it lol.

isn't it hard to read if it lands in water?

Tee hee hee

Nope! That’s the magic in it. ;) It’s totally safe lol.
    forum_final.png

Tee hee hee

what does mostly waterproof mean? i just became serious writer recently.

Tee hee hee

i was actually asking. lol. resists urge to stick tounge out.
  • Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    I don’t think Sims fan fiction and SimLit are the same. Isn’t fan fiction mostly written about characters that are known in a game/show/movie/etc.? I think stories about premades could be fan fic because they are the most widely known characters to a general audience. However, within our own smaller circles, some of our Sims have achieved their own fame much Mr. Tony “Meatball” Corleonesi. I think he goes beyond fan fiction to cult classic lol.

Exactly. Fanfiction is a fan written continuation of someone else's story. Technically there isn't any story in the Sims game until you see it there/create it. The only sim fanfiction you can write is of someone's simlit. Like a Dust to Dust fanfiction if you want.
    As for Meatball stories they are somewhat debatable. I'm inclined to label them as fanfiction if he's the main character in the story. But in all stories I've read he never was, although he might have stolen the spotlight after he entered the story.
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
  • MedleyMistyMedleyMisty Posts: 1,188 Member
    edited November 2016
    @Sourocha Thank you for drawing us back to purpose and goal. I very much enjoyed the rabbit trail discussions of SimLit and pictures vs. no pictures, however, I do want us to talk about the awesome stories we're reading.

So that being said, no worries if you don't know much about the current discussion. That's totally fine. I really like CitizenErased14's D2D and I have to get back to reading it. Thanks for the reminder. I can't wait to read A2A also.

Thank you for all your recommendations and shoutouts. I'll be sure to check the stories out. :)

Just wanted to link the Art thread, since if people wanted to talk more about stuff like pictures vs no pictures that discussion would fit in there. The Art of Sims Storytelling
    Sometimes the darkness and I tell stories.
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Maladi777 wrote: »
    Like a Dust to Dust fanfiction if you want.

OMG @Maladi777 I'd love for someone to write D2D fanfiction :lol::joy:

And as for the current discussion question, I often outline chapters in the shower with Aquanotes :smiley:

snvAF3B.png

Tee hee hee

:D

Well, it says it’s waterproof, and it is, but the ink still runs just a little but not so much that I can’t read. And, the pages warp when they dry.
    forum_final.png

Tee hee hee

:D

Well, it says it’s waterproof, and it is, but the ink still runs just a little but not so much that I can’t read. And, the pages warp when they dry.

thank you.
  • MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member

I took my laptop to the beach once to write a chapter of MLAAZ. I did a spot of people watching before I really got into writing, and I saw a business guy walking along the beach, he was wearing shiny (probably expensive) leather shoes and was avoiding water puddles/streams. So I used him in the chapter I was writing and substituted water for shadows. When I was done I had myself a zombie who was afraid of shadows.

dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited November 2016
    @MedleyMisty Thank you for your words. I agree with you about how things can get tense surrounding topics. People have their preferences, and that's fine. I like using CC and poses at times, and other times, I just let things happen in game and I roll with it. I've tried both ways and both ways seem fine to me.
    I like how people have their different ways of doing things. I like using CC and poses, but I also like to do a lot of the pics without. I like seeing different, creative ways people get their visuals. CC and poses are one way, and they too can be used in so many different ways. But just as great pics and stories can be done without them.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • SourochaSourocha Posts: 1,465 Member
    edited November 2016
    I use both "fix" computers , so, I can't say a thing on that, but, I can talk about CC poses, I mostly utilize aleatory poses I found on google, but, one lose creator that I found rather nice, (sims 4) is Princess Paranoia, because It creates some good "dark" poses, that is pretty rare to found, I only use then when I think is necessary, because sometimes, I see some poses in other story's that looks like the sims are "voging" :D And about the dust to dust, fanfic, @CitizenErased14, I only imagine that:
    He gently kiss her face, there was a warm growing on her, they we're together, finally. They looked at each other's eyes, they looked ate and other's soul, and he finally touched, gently, her skin, "the ambrosia work," she said. "yes, It sure did." He said. The both kissed, while their love was burning inside then. Finally together.
    Feeling creative today. ;)
    Post edited by Sourocha on
    I don't know about writing SimLit, but weirdest place I read SimLit was on top of the washing machine while doing laundry. :p

Speaking of reading SimLit, I read some of @xJojox's Fine Lines again last night. I am blown away with how stereotypical teenager Abby, the MC, is, and I mean that in a good way. xJojox really captures teenage angst, dialogue, thoughts, and emotions really well. I really appreciate it because it takes me back to my own teenage/high school days and thinking about what was different and what was the same. I also like how Abby's mom is portrayed, not in the way she acts, but just how she isn't a perfect human being and her choices, words, and actions keep me guessing because I can't figure out where she's coming from all the time, but I imagine she's had her own hurt/pain too.

Any other SimLit stories out there that capture toddler/children/teen voices really well?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited November 2016
    Any other SimLit stories out there that capture toddler/children/teen voices really well?

I really love the way @ThePlumbob writes the children in her legacy :blush: There is a really heartwarming innocence to what she writes :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    I don't know about writing SimLit, but weirdest place I read SimLit was on top of the washing machine while doing laundry. :p

Haha that is awesome!

I really love the way @ThePlumbob writes the children in her legacy :blush: There is a really heartwarming innocence to what she writes :)

Aww thank you so much! I actually find it difficult to write kids (as I've told you), since I don't really interact with kids much in real life. I'm glad I'm doing something right haha!
  • Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    edited November 2016

I remember particularly enjoying reading this chapter of the Pruetts. Sydney was a handful. :D

heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
    Maladi777 wrote: »

I remember particularly enjoying reading this chapter of the Pruetts. Sydney was a handful. :D

tee hee :D I love that chapter
    forum_final.png

edited December 2016
    Hi everyone, I have a new SimLit celebration post out - this week celebrating random November holidays and monthly celebrations. You can read it here.

I feature the following writers just so you are aware:

@friendsfan367 the Benders
    @rednenemon Racket-Rotter Chronicles
    @InfraGreen Eight Cicadas
    Kate -Loewe Legacy
    @CathyTea - Thirty Sims at Three Rivers
    @CreamierThanMami - Journey of a Thousand Steps
    LauraEliza - Zahra's Babies
    Robin - Alice and Kev
    @Simcraft81 - O'Raj's Journal

This week I wanted to start discussion on stories based on random November holidays and monthly celebrations... SimLit that includes:
    • adults (or even older children/teens) helping a child learn safety and protection to celebrate Child Safety and Protection Month
    • adoption/foster children to celebrate Adoption Awareness Month
    • caregivers of any kind (elder care, child care, care of those with special needs, etc) to celebrate Caregivers Appreciation Month
    • favorite "sleeping" moments to celebrate National Sleep Comfort Month
    • favorite peanut-butter moments to celebrate National Peanut Butter Lovers Month

Share your favorites below!
    @Jes2G Welcome Home
    @cshaner Harkins Family: Orphan Challenge
    @mastressalita Lost in Space
    Post edited by AdamsEve1231 on

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    :o Alice & Kev! <3
    forum_final.png