Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

why are people so harsh on LGR's review of this city life.

Comments

• OMGiLoveIceCreamOMGiLoveIceCream Posts: 603 Member
    edited November 2016
    Gonna say this:
    There is a line drawn between honesty and bashing
    Do you think it'd be pretty honest if I said in a review, "AHHH this EP is terrible, nothing to do like, 0 content added I hate it -24/10.

Just because someone isn't praising the game doesn't make them honest.
    I think LGR is starting to become a basher.

Praising the Game Honest Bashing the Game
    __________________________._________________
    I made this line here, the dot represents where I think LGR is. He isn't quite a basher yet IMO, but I think he is becoming one.
  • hopeybluehopeyblue Posts: 35 Member
    I like to watch LGR reviews although I enjoy TS4 myself. His reviews are pretty much the only ones I watch, I might check another one if I feel like it but couldn't name another reviewer. What someone says in a review doesn't affect my buying decision, because they're not me and don't know what I like. I'm also not sure who is being harsh at LGR, because I haven't seen anything like that.

I agree- I always watch his reviews when there's a new sims pack out but I don't choose to purchase a pack because of his opinion, I think the game needs a someone out there with a prominent voice to call out the bad bits.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Gonna say this:
    Do you think it'd be pretty honest if I said in a review, "AHHH this EP is terrible, nothing to do like, 0 content added I hate it -24/10.

I made this line here, the dot represents where I think LGR is. He isn't quite a basher yet IMO, but I think he is becoming one.

Good grief...so now you're going to start labeling people as "bashers" to replace the term "haters". *rolls eyes so hard they get stuck

I had to laugh at that as well.

Those 'bashers' are very noisy these days! :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    I can not say I have seen this before but i am wondering why are people being so harsh towards LGR right now like I felt like his review was honest and real and he talked about what he liked and what he did not like. like what is the problem.

Because people can't seemed to have an opinion nowadays if he doesn't like it he doesn't like that his opinion my question is to the people thinking he's being harsh is he going to change your mind about the game no so why trip off of his opinion?
  • happygurlhappygurl Posts: 1,005 Member
    edited November 2016
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    My proverbial eye rolling stems from the sort of slavish dedication that some adhere to in regard to his content. It is as though his words are written on stone tablets and carried in golden arks.
    Same. Every time he reviews anything Sims related there are about a million threads announcing his review. I'm like, 'What's the big deal?'.

InstantGif_2020.12.01_18.10.gif?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Gonna say this:

Please name one example or one specific quote where LGR said anything along those lines.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    I personally don't watch his reviews at all, I did once during sims 3 and the way he reviews just never clicked with me. I know a lot of others think he is funny so they continue to watch. He also leans too far to one side for me.

I personally try to find less bias reviews. I don't really like reviews that are all fluff, nor ones that only talk in a more negative tone. I prefer reviews of games to give constructive criticism as well as giving out both pros and cons of the game. There is enough people on the forums that talk in extremes, I don't really need to read reviews that go that way too.
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    Gonna say this:

Funny, every time a reviewer doesn't find a game perfect, they're a "hater" / "basher" / "troll", but if they praise a game without finding anything negative about it, many fans don't see a problem with that. The same fans don't even see a problem with people praising games that they haven't even played yet ! Double standards ?...
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Candyd wrote: »
    Gonna say this:

Funny, every time a reviewer doesn't find a game perfect, they're a "hater" / "basher" / "troll", but if they praise a game without finding anything negative about it, many fans don't see a problem with that. The same fans don't even see a problem with people praising games that they haven't even played yet ! Double standards ?...

Is it not exactly the case that every time a reviewer is positive they are labeled as a corporate shill as well? If Lazy Gamer Reviews gave a favorable take on City Living the comparative factions would have switched. The more militant pro-Sims 4 crowd would hail him as honest and truthful while the more militant anti-Sims 4 crowd would declare that he had been bought off by EA. It isn't about being truthful, honest, balanced or anything of the sort, but rather a matter that a talking head told some people what they wanted to hear and others what they did not wish to hear. It is like this with every YouTuber.
  • AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Gonna say this:

Good grief...so now you're going to start labeling people as "bashers" to replace the term "haters". *rolls eyes so hard they get stuck

I had to laugh at that as well.

Those 'bashers' are very noisy these days! :D

I wonder why? :lol:
    Candyd wrote: »
    Gonna say this:

Is it not exactly the case that every time a reviewer is positive they are labeled as a corporate shill as well? If Lazy Gamer Reviews gave a favorable take on City Living the comparative factions would have switched. The more militant pro-Sims 4 crowd would hail him as honest and truthful while the more militant anti-Sims 4 crowd would declare that he had been bought off by EA. It isn't about being truthful, honest, balanced or anything of the sort, but rather a matter that a talking head told some people what they wanted to hear and others what they did not wish to hear. It is like this with every YouTuber.

No they would appreciate seeing a balanced review. Some of us dont see it in such narrow terms as you describe. I am surprised at the amount of people who stick to those ridiculously narrow descriptions of people's feedback and allow it to influence their reactions anyway.

I think it's charming that people try and put such glitter on such obviously base reactions to the opinions. "Fair and Balanced (TM)".

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    While I personally disregard LGR for employing fallacies designed to preemptively dismiss any who would potentially disagree, I have no problem with any YouTuber being a YouTuber and making videos. My proverbial eye rolling stems from the sort of slavish dedication that some adhere to in regard to his content. It is as though his words are written on stone tablets and carried in golden arks.

yeah i kind of notice that those with a voice are told to kind of stop reviewing the game if they dont like it and those who do not have a voice are told if you do not like it do not buy the game. its like anyone complaining or not liking the game ruins liking the game for them and they just do not want to hear it. granted i have issues with the game myself but i still will buy it because i think there is still worth in this game but that does not mean i think its a perfect great game and that things need to be said because i feel like things need to be said and even if you do not agree can you at least understand how how i feel rather then become nutreal and tell me to basically do the same thing to solve all my problems...

I tend to go back and forth, myself. I do enjoy this game most of the time. I don't tend to play it as often as I played Sims in the past. That being said, if there is something I don't enjoy about the game, I will speak out about that. I also speak about the things I do like. Nothing is EVER perfect. We can sigh, rant, hold our breath until we turn blue, but I'm well used to liking things that some just don't like. I don't attempt to recruit, but neither do I allow the nay-sayer to sway my opinion. Believe it or not, not everybody loved the Beatles the way I did. I was perfectly okay with that. So long as their dislike didn't interfere with my enjoyment of their music. The old adage: "It's no skin off of my nose" seems to fit. Like this game, don't like this game. Like art, it's all SUBJECTIVE, and so not worth an argument or hurt feelings over.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    I only responded to this topic once and it was to answer a question as to what depth to me would be.
    One thing that I'm seeing is that the topic lures people in to say why they dislike LGR, only to then have some people jump on them to tell them how wrong they are. I myself like LGR, but arguing about other peoples opinions on him is not the purpose of the topic.
    mirta000 wrote: »
    I only responded to this topic once and it was to answer a question as to what depth to me would be.
    One thing that I'm seeing is that the topic lures people in to say why they dislike LGR, only to then have some people jump on them to tell them how wrong they are. I myself like LGR, but arguing about other peoples opinions on him is not the purpose of the topic.

I would posit that a discussion of people's opinions regarding Lazy Gamer Reviews is central to a discussion centered on why people think what they think about Lazy Gamer Reviews.
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    @Arletta I was addressing this comment
    Everyone else managed to get more than a 12 minute video out about it
    . You were the one referencing his in comparison to others. Not me. Not interested in lecturing you, just questioning what you said. A discussion. You seem to think my entire comment was to you. Nope-I was addressing other comments in this thread in regards to why people like his reviews, the theme of 'worship' used by some to try and shame those who agreed with him and in regards to what his feedback meant. I am surprised you didn't realise that-you must have read the thread too and seen those things for yourself? :/

Only that it seemed short in comparison. Not much discussion to be had over that. As I said, I watched three videos and of those only two were reviews. The other was something like 40 mins long. The Let's Play I saw was similar in length, around half an hour to 40 minutes. I can't say more than I have. It seemed like it wasn't something he was interested in doing, that's all. Perhaps he wasn't.

All this seems silly for a review. I can't say much more without discussing simmers, not the game, and to me it's borderline that anyway. I'm out.

• Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    I see "I like this","I don't like this" all the time here. What about the players who can say well I sort of like this but it really needs improvements for me to truly enjoy it?

I was actually an in-between person for sims 3, and was told several times what side that meant I was on lol. Naturally I was supposedly sometimes on one side and then the other according to others. The whole there has to be sides thing seems a little ridiculous at times to me.

I personally like sims 4 but I also know it does need some improvement. They aren't game breakers for me, like they might be for others.
  • HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Eh. I don't know. I guess they felt that he was being too blunt with his review? Anyway, I can see the path this thread is going to take. Arguments between Late Night, Apartment Life, and City Living.

I'll just say this. TS3 Apartments< TS4 Apartments< TS2 Apartments. And before any of you say "but we can build apartments in TS3!" Eh, no. You can build shells for your apartments, actually one apartment. So in reality you're building a house for your apartment, except you can literally only go into one part of it. Yeah, that sounds better than the unebuildable shells with more than one apartment per shell isn't it?

Hi :)

I'm not saying you're wrong in your opinion of Which you like better. I just have to add, we could build apartments in TS3 without the shells. :)
    http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Tutorials:TS3_Sims_3_Apartments

I know that you can build "apartments" without the skyscraper shells, but it still wasn't exactly apartments in my sense, since you can still only have one household per apartment building. It's still pretty much a house where you can only access one part of it, just editable. Sort of.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Eh. I don't know. I guess they felt that he was being too blunt with his review? Anyway, I can see the path this thread is going to take. Arguments between Late Night, Apartment Life, and City Living.

I'll just say this. TS3 Apartments< TS4 Apartments< TS2 Apartments. And before any of you say "but we can build apartments in TS3!" Eh, no. You can build shells for your apartments, actually one apartment. So in reality you're building a house for your apartment, except you can literally only go into one part of it. Yeah, that sounds better than the unebuildable shells with more than one apartment per shell isn't it?

I'm not saying you're wrong in your opinion of Which you like better. I just have to add, we could build apartments in TS3 without the shells. :)

I know that you can build "apartments" without the skyscraper shells, but it still wasn't exactly apartments in my sense, since you can still only have one household per apartment building. It's still pretty much a house where you can only access one part of it, just editable. Sort of.

That's what mods are for.

I'm not opposed to modding either...if modders can find a way to open up building apartments in other worlds, I'd probably buy CL. The problem is, TS4 just doesn't have much to work with.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

One part? I would use the buydebug cheat to access the hidden room markers to enlarge a top floor apartment or create a second apartment. There were also building lobbies that once the hidden room marker was removed could be turned into another one. There were basement apartments with an upper floor apartment.

There were quite a few times I redid entire buildings like this to create housing for families that had gotten too large for one apartment. You could have parents in one apartment, a son and his wife in an apartment of their own and even add a studio apartment for another grown child.

TS2 and 3 had creative tools to make worlds your own and the only 'back drop' in TS3 was the horizon.

Another plus is being able to take things like the buildings and subways into any other world. I could take a larger world, bulldoze an entire section, change lot sizes if needed and have a 'down town' section and suburbs on one map and connect them all by subways.

I just don't see that kind of versatility in 4.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2016
    MissCherie wrote: »

Read my post again, here lemme quote myself to save you time:

''LGR saying CL doesn't add depth and gameplay is a fact, him saying he doesn't like it IS his opinion.''

Depth in a game isn't an opinion, neither gameplay, at the limit story telling could be for the fact that some people have a lot of imagination and could make out stories out of any games they play even Tetris, but story telling=/=depth, specially for the sims since the story telling is pretty much made by ourselves.

Edit: I just want to explain myself better, I'm not saying that something is a fact cause LGR said it as not everything he says are facts, but his reviews are his opinions of the pack content (or lack of content in this case). The pack content is pretty much the facts.
    Thanks for taking the time to get it and yes it does make more sense. No worries.

It was interesting it isn't just LGR that gets harsh comments for being a critic. Deligracy was getting guilt tripped for her comments about the pack too. People shouldn't feel guilt tripped for not liking something period regardless of who they are. It made me truly sad to read what people say to others.

Anyway, @SimStaffBethelle about the name calling on this page.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top