Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

City Living Constructive Criticism Thread.

Comments

• lisamtownlisamtown Posts: 206 Member
    @papersuitcase No I did not buy CL. Had no interest. I'm a family player. I hope the Devs do see this. I have not played 4 for months. Have updates I have not downloaded. Makes me sad that I'm so disappointed with the game. I've been with the series since 2000... :heartbreak:
    graphics-wallet-540882.gif
  • papersuitcasepapersuitcase Posts: 838 Member
    lisamtown wrote: »
    @papersuitcase No I did not buy CL. Had no interest. I'm a family player. I hope the Devs do see this. I have not played 4 for months. Have updates I have not downloaded. Makes me sad that I'm so disappointed with the game. I've been with the series since 2000... :heartbreak:

I'm sorry to her that. I definitely feel sad when playing TS4 as well. I have all these ideas and stories I want to play out but the game play is always too limited. We really aren't getting our money's worth with this iteration.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    @zeldagirl180 nice write up.

In regards to festivals you say 'people keep saying they reuse the same content' but counter that with their better because they're so populated. So that's what make festivals a worth wild experience? The fact that sims are there? Good to note..

When the politician goes into the world what effect does this have? Protesting? If I give a glowing review to a DO restaurant does it cause more sims to go there? Is there depth to these careers aside from the enjoyment you find out of them? Social media career is a computer based one from your description alone.

About the lots, I said "comes with a handful of useable lots (the rest are locked into their lot type)" you saying 'the only lots that are locked are apartments and the park' what exactly are you trying to counter here? The bulk of the lots added in this game are locked away as apartments or that park. Does your experience not agree with this? Because your response just furthers my point. How many 'regular' lots come with this new world that you can change entirely?
    @zeldagirl180 nice write up.

In regards to festivals you say 'people keep saying they reuse the same content' but counter that with their better because they're so populated. So that's what make festivals a worth wild experience? The fact that sims are there? Good to note..

When the politician goes into the world what effect does this have? Protesting? If I give a glowing review to a DO restaurant does it cause more sims to go there? Is there depth to these careers aside from the enjoyment you find out of them? Social media career is a computer based one from your description alone.

About the lots, I said "comes with a handful of useable lots (the rest are locked into their lot type)" you saying 'the only lots that are locked are apartments and the park' what exactly are you trying to counter here? The bulk of the lots added in this game are locked away as apartments or that park. Does your experience not agree with this? Because your response just furthers my point. How many 'regular' lots come with this new world that you can change entirely?

These are good questions. I'd love to know if these new careers actually change your city for better or worse.
  • SimStaffBethelleSimStaffBethelle Posts: 1,748 SimGuru (retired)
    edited November 2016
    timeout.jpg
    We'll be back soon.
  • SimStaffBethelleSimStaffBethelle Posts: 1,748 SimGuru (retired)
    We are reopening this thread.

Please keep your posts on topic with the thread. Please note that the topic of the thread is constructive criticism; i.e., things you think would make City Living better. Please also note that the topic is not the minimum qualifications for having an opinion.

If you see any posts that you believe break the rules, please send me a PM, and do not respond to it.

Thank you, and happy Simming!
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    The Least thing we can expect from ea is to fix the main stuff that is missing, by giving them in a patch. These stuff are: the ability to place & start building from scratch penthouses/apartments and elevator animation.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    I think that festivals subjects could have been improved. The humour and Hijinks and Romance festivals are a bit pointless as they don't bring anything new to the table, just reused content like others have said. They could have but something like a music festival (its the first thing I think of when someone says the world festival) in instead and that could also lead to the creation of bands which were highly requested.
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Thank you @SimStaffBethelle ! :)

I think this thread could be very important for the sake of future content.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    It just seems like festivals were a missed opportunity. I would have loved to be able to create my own. I would have liked to create a book fest at the library where local authors can visit or maybe do a reading. I would have liked to have a music fest...great time to introduce forming bands. Concerts in the park. Kids should have a toy fest where they can buy new toys, play video games, meet cartoon characters, and play in jumpy houses. For teens I would have liked a grunge fest with new music where they can get into a bit of trouble. I would have even liked to use that system to have things like flash sales for some of my businesses. I would have loved to see the try on outfit from GT uses for like a fashion show.

I would have also liked it if the circus and opera were actual things in the game instead of rabbit holes. How awesome would it have been to have circus performer careers or opera performers. I would have liked those better than the social media and critic careers.
    I was taking a look at the CAS clothing to see if I might want to buy this as a stuff pack later when the price is slashed and I'm sad to say that even the clothes fall short for me. Some pieces look like poorly done custom content with colors bleeding onto the sims skin and blurry textures. Also, just my opinion but the color palettes on some items are the worst I've ever seen.

You can see what I'm talking about here at 14:10 in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPCk-JOZu1I
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    The Least thing we can expect from ea is to fix the main stuff that is missing, by giving them in a patch. These stuff are: the ability to place & start building from scratch penthouses/apartments and elevator animation.

Agreed! Realistically this was their opportunity to add apartments in a way that benefited the player for the future. The apartments in this pack are set in stone and unchangable. That doesn't offer any benefits to the player, but it did introduce lots of limitations!

The dressed up lot apartments are the main reason i haven't purchased this pack. If they patched in *real* apartments, or at least offered the ability for us to create our own in whatever world we want, then I would probably suck it up and buy the pack. I don't expect a patch of any sort, and I don't think this issue has really gotten on Maxis' radar. Certainly they won't sell us apartments again in a future pack, and if they do shame on them for blatantly ripping those who purchased this pack off.
  • cherid87120cherid87120 Posts: 2,823 Member
    I have only played for about 90 minutes so far, haven't had a chance to try the careers. I love how active the town is. There are always a lot of Sims in the common areas and they are always doing something. It is very easy to meet new Sims. The festival wasn't quite ready before I logged off so I can't comment about the festivals. What I did not like was there are NO vacant lots in San M. You have to bulldoze something if you want to add in a new lot. If you have the Dine out pack, I would assume you would want to add a restaurant. I saw where a simmer turned the gym into a restaurant and that is probably what I will do too. I just do not think there are enough lots in general in San M. I haven't counted lots but I think Windenburg has a lot more logs than San M.

I also did not spend much time looking at the reviews so I was pretty shocked when you knock on a neighbors door that you have a loading screen. I thought it would have been more like Sims 2 Apartments that you can simply knock and someone answers... but loading screen? I think the loading screen for the neighbors and the imaginary elevator are a huge step back into time.
  • Jasmine_and_lilyJasmine_and_lily Posts: 34 Member
    I skimmed over all the other posts so I'm not quite sure if this has been pointed out or mentioned... I agree with who pointed out that all the EPs so far have lacked the depth that there were in previous sim incarnations BUT I will say my experience with sims 3 was that with every expansion the game became so much more buggy. Making it so I chose not to get some just to keep my game from becoming over taxed. Now I think EA is paying much more attention to the play-ability of the game. This is VERY important to me because even if I enjoy a game greatly if it doesn't work properly I just won't play it. I believe that this is the reason for less monumental changes being implemented in new content.... I only wish the price reflected the change in the depth of new content.
    ...^.^...
    Jasmine & Lily

Cx3anAC.jpg

...^.^...
    I skimmed over all the other posts so I'm not quite sure if this has been pointed out or mentioned... I agree with who pointed out that all the EPs so far have lacked the depth that there were in previous sim incarnations BUT I will say my experience with sims 3 was that with every expansion the game became so much more buggy. Making it so I chose not to get some just to keep my game from becoming over taxed. Now I think EA is paying much more attention to the play-ability of the game. This is VERY important to me because even if I enjoy a game greatly if it doesn't work properly I just won't play it. I believe that this is the reason for less monumental changes being implemented in new content.... I only wish the price reflected the change in the depth of new content.
    ...^.^...

Me too. I don't think we should be charged 40 dollars for this pack. I'm going through a few let's plays and it seems very shallow. I'm noticing a lot of reused items that are reskins or recolors. I've also noticed one or two cas items which are base game that have been slightly altered so that is also disappointing.

• Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    ...^.^...

Of course the problem with the lack of depth and features also makes people not want to buy it.

I can tell you honestly that I haven't played the game in ages, but when I heard city life and apartments I was all in. But then I heard we wouldn't be able to build our own and then the disappointments started mounting up. I became a firm no. In any other version of this game I would have preordered sight unseen.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Another small-ish complaint of mine that I expected would happen: a drop in difficulty.

If you look at this link, you'll find the rent prices for apartments. The thing is that you all may notice rent is typically cheaper than any bills you typically experience. One of the few aspects about Sims 4 I like is that while it's still too easy, it's much harder than past Sims games in terms of making money and how high bills are. Typically for me, by the time a Sim has their mansion, they're paying 15k to 20k in bills weekly, but here the most expensive apartments are 5k and do not scale to your net worth whatsoever. That combined with lot traits that build skills faster or even give money themselves just mean things got easier, not harder. I find that a real shame.

I know it'll never happen because for whatever reason game developers seem in unanimous agreement games need to be easier, but I'd personally love it if they doubled the price of bills from the base game (not talking City Living) and made it much harder to move past level 5 of a career. When I say "much harder" I don't mean make it take longer as that's more tedious, but do something to up the requirements for a promotion and make it rather difficult.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited November 2016

Agreed! Realistically this was their opportunity to add apartments in a way that benefited the player for the future. The apartments in this pack are set in stone and unchangable. That doesn't offer any benefits to the player, but it did introduce lots of limitations!

The dressed up lot apartments are the main reason i haven't purchased this pack. If they patched in *real* apartments, or at least offered the ability for us to create our own in whatever world we want, then I would probably suck it up and buy the pack. I don't expect a patch of any sort, and I don't think this issue has really gotten on Maxis' radar. Certainly they won't sell us apartments again in a future pack, and if they do shame on them for blatantly ripping those who purchased this pack off.

Yeah sure. If they won't include it or will include them in another costing pack, I would just ask for a mod or learn myself to (and) mod it. However, that won't justify their action in any way. As regards with elevators, heck-- I would just create a hacked door that looks like an elevator's and that allow sim to teleport who enter, beforehand replacing or just placing in lots it (depends what modification is possible if any) instead of the the actual elevator object.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • aud_limhingaud_limhing Posts: 53 Member
    Has anyone actually manage to go to the rabbit holes? I always get invited to go to the circus and whatnot but never actually you know...get to go....
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Granted I haven't played that long I think this EP is what an EP should be it feels alive with all the things going on in the city. It by far the best EP we have gotten from any sims game in the franchise.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • HimynameisHimynameis Posts: 336 Member
    Granted I haven't played that long I think this EP is what an EP should be it feels alive with all the things going on in the city. It by far the best EP we have gotten from any sims game in the franchise.

Oh I miss the LOL button :(
  • A_CullerA_Culler Posts: 1,133 Member
    I was very disappointed that you couldn't operate your own food cart. Sure you can own one but you can not move it from your property, put it in your inventory, or run it yourself. The same seems to apply to the "street stage" for the guitar and violin. I thought this expansion was supposed to have a variety of ways to make money. Seems like a pretty big missed opportunity, again disappointed.
    Loneliness is a tax we have to pay to atone for a certain complexity of mind.

36187445662_5c73f737ed_c.jpg
    "I have yet to find a gold so pure that it's worth it's weight in dog."
  • TheBristolSimmerTheBristolSimmer Posts: 705 Member
    My criticism is:

I would have liked the world to have more lots. It feels rather constricting. E.g. I want to change a penthouse lot to a rooftop restaurant.. but with so little available I don't want to use them up with restaurants and lounges and bars etc.

What would have been ideal is to have a part of the city having a strip of lots where you could put down whatever you want. Depending on what packs you own we could have put down restaurants, retail shops, photo-shoot shops and warehouse conversions (I know there is one available, more would have been ideal for me). All these things scream City to me. A strip of restaurants and retail lots would have given that city feel even more.
    The Bristol Simmer||Find my builds and legacy updates on the gallery! Have a happy day!

68OUgVc.jpg
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I really like your idea for cooking competitions and more involvement in making the spicy food @papersuitcase. I'd have really liked that too.

I like this thread and I think it's important to say what we are disappointed in, and share our ideas for what could have been done better. Maybe the devs could tweak a few things in a patch. And maybe the feedback will be helpful for future packs.

I do hope people allow the simmers in this thread room to voice their opinions. I mostly like the expansion, but I definitely have a list of gripes. I'm going to play some more and collect my thoughts before making a feedback post. But I am interested to see what others think. It's silly to brush issues under the carpet because that doesn't help the devs improve the game.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I really like your idea for cooking competitions and more involvement in making the spicy food @papersuitcase. I'd have really liked that too.

I like this thread and I think it's important to say what we are disappointed in, and share our ideas for what could have been done better. Maybe the devs could tweak a few things in a patch. And maybe the feedback will be helpful for future packs.

I do hope people allow the simmers in this thread room to voice their opinions. I mostly like the expansion, but I definitely have a list of gripes. I'm going to play some more and collect my thoughts before making a feedback post. But I am interested to see what others think. It's silly to brush issues under the carpet because that doesn't help the devs improve the game.

Well said.

If I may ask, what are some of your gripes (elevators aside)? I'm curious :)