Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We're all friends here, right?

13...Next

Comments

• meepweepmeepweep Posts: 309 Member
    edited October 2016
    AndrewArcade does a good job of explaining it in relation to the sims in this video
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    Thanksgiving /Native Americans?
    I'm not american. I don't really know that much about the holiday... other than the weird mis-use of pumpkin.

Pie? Or are you thinking Hallowe'en? Nothing is done to pumpkins on Thanksgiving. Also, other places besides America have Thanksgiving, Canada just had theirs a few days ago, for example.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • NotLoudonWainwrightNotLoudonWainwright Posts: 863 Member
    Wow, so ignorant and rude. Even if you don't know anything about it, show some respect.

Why show respect for a holiday I don't celebrate? I ain't gonna be gathering around a menorah any time soon, either. I'm not into the whole kumbayah, everybody hold hands 2016 PC society. I'll celebrate what I celebrate; you'll celebrate what you celebrate.

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    cherpar wrote: »
    I didn't know about the day of the dead until I googled it after this challenge.

I learned about it through an episode of "Murder, She Wrote" where the story took place south of the border and Jessica was visiting a friend who ran a museum. She was allegedly researching for her next novel. He invited her to the Day of the Dead festivities. If I'm not mistaken, Caesar Romero was the guest-star.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    @tomchan0 I kinda knew what it was, but thanks to the challenge, I'm a bit more knowledgeable about it, mainly the purpose of sugar skulls. Always just thought they were a candy of sorts when actually they are very much more than that, being used as offerings for the dead and you gain quite the respect if you have the skills to create the more elaborate skulls.

Although I'd still be tempted to eat the chocolate ones I saw...lol
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2016
    I don't know - I think it is rather fun and nice to participate in celebrations reknown with other cultures. I think people should do more of that kind of thing - and for heaven's sake be respectful whether or not you participate. This world would be a lot better place if we could get to know other peoples traditions, celebrations and such. What is wrong with learning new things about your fellow humans anyway?

I was not new to the Day of the Dead, and have had the privilege to participate in several different states over my lifetime thus far where people celebrate that and other events right here in my own country. I feel we grow more as humans each time we see life through others eyes, and appreciate this wonderful world of ours. It reminds you that you and your way of life is not the only way of life on this planet.

As long as it is respectful and not mean in any manner - why object anyway?

I may not be the biggest fan of Sims 4 - far from it really - but I do appreciate them bringing more diversity and a peek of life outside of my own to this game. It is these little touches about the only way I will play Sims 4 to be honest. I was quite proud to play and achieve the directive of the Day of the Dead. What's more I enjoyed engaging in the challenge. It brought back good memories to me of people I haven't seen in ages. Living ones - that is. LOL.

Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    edited October 2016
    Hey, I know this may be a little off topic, but I was in a Halloween Store and one of the costumes they had in there had all the skulls, it looked almost exactly like the ones in S4, they had it in three colors. They had like an under skirt that was all lacy though and it made it look even more festive. I was with grandson, so he was not at all interested. I may ask granddaughter to look at it with me, she may just love it she is a girly girl. http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/adult-day-of-the-dead-senorita-costume/97937.uts?Extid=sf_froogle&utm_campaign=RKG-Shopping-Adult_Costumes&utm_medium=paid&utm_source=google&utm_term=104683706746_product_type_adult_costumes_product_type_womens_costumes_product_type&utm_content=Womens_Costumes&utm_inex=e&product_id=07256407&adpos=1o6&creative=55695208786&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQjwvve_BRDmg9Kt9ufO15EBEiQAKoc6qqWpI6-splSGWB5tBpp8hagNlgspLPTmDgQos5RCB2gaAnEC8P8HAQ

That is not the exact one that I saw, but the skirt is similar, it was just like the S4 ones but with the skirt like that one.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• tomchan0tomchan0 Posts: 952 Member
    MysticOne wrote: »
    tomchan0 wrote: »
    Because I'm about show my ignorance.
    So, please don't judge.

I was in a Halloween store the other day and I spotted something that made me stop a moment and process.

Sugar Skull makeup and clothing. I was, at first, OMG they have Sims related costumes, then it dawned on me that it wasn't related. Googled it and was promptly educated.

LOL.

I'd love to be in on the point and humor.... but, I don't get it :-/, I mean, I would have thought the same thing. So, what did you google? I guess I'm being really dim. Sorry. Can someone help me connect the dots?

I interpreted it as the person originally may have thought sugar skulls were exclusive to Sims game only, but then got educated (through googling) about the fact that the sims event is actually based on a real-life celebration. Day of the Dead is not something that the sims game made up.

Yup :) Exactly.
  • tomchan0tomchan0 Posts: 952 Member
    @tomchan0 I kinda knew what it was, but thanks to the challenge, I'm a bit more knowledgeable about it, mainly the purpose of sugar skulls. Always just thought they were a candy of sorts when actually they are very much more than that, being used as offerings for the dead and you gain quite the respect if you have the skills to create the more elaborate skulls.

Although I'd still be tempted to eat the chocolate ones I saw...lol

Who could blame you, it's chocolate :p:)

• SimsAddiction968SimsAddiction968 Posts: 1,218 Member
    I knew about it from watching The Book of Life movie not to long ago. I really don't care about it as there are other holidays I don't care about.
    Halloween used to be my favorite holiday. This year it's to depressing because of real life events that have happened in the last 6 months....

But hey I'm not stopping anyone from celebrating....
    HI! My name is SimsAddiction968
    I discovered Sims 1 summer 2001 when my youngest was 1 yr old.
    I bought all Eps & Sps for Sims 2 as they were released.
    I even bought Sims games for our consoles and handhelds.
    I have bought all Sims 3 Eps & Sps as the were released.
    I have held my grandson while playing. He is now 5 and plays FreePlay.
    I have pre ordered Sims 4. I have the Sims 2 mouse and waiting on Sims 4 mouse.
    I have a Freezer Bunny tattoo and a bracelet tattoo of the Sims 2 aspirations.

YES! I am addicted to The Sims no matter the form.
  • MissMahooMissMahoo Posts: 208 Member
    I knew about it from watching The Book of Life movie not to long ago. I really don't care about it as there are other holidays I don't care about.
    Halloween used to be my favorite holiday. This year it's to depressing because of real life events that have happened in the last 6 months....

But hey I'm not stopping anyone from celebrating....

I love the Book of Life. Such a visually beautiful film.
    I think it's great to incorporate different festivals and cultures into the game. I absolutely love Halloween but have a fascination with the day of the dead festival also.