Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So... will City Living have you retreating to the great outdoors?

After I get all my sims up and running in the San Myshuno, and the newness begins to wear off, I plan to start sending sims to Granite Falls on their earn vacation times. I want to feel the difference between the bustling concrete jungle and the natural sounds of the woods. I haven't played Outdoor Retreat in a very long time.

My sim Riya was heavy into making Herbal Remedies. I can see her going mainly to collect ingredients so, she can sell the remedies she makes on the street. All legal of course. :D As she won't have a nice back yard this time, she will probably make more frequent trips.

I remember OR having issues with invited sims bailing out on you, so I would probably mainly send sims who are sharing an apartment with other sims. The only sims I would send individually would probably be someone like Riya who is partially there for business.
The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Comments

• papersuitcasepapersuitcase Posts: 838 Member
    I wont be buying CL because city life does no appeal to me. I'll be sitting here doing what I always do... hoping and praying for a rural area / farm pack.

It always bugged me that we couldn't live in granite falls. I love the area, and wish they would fix the bugs.
  • SimfamousSimfamous Posts: 59 Member
    Oh wow, I really love your idea! I haven't really used Outdoor Retreat much either, so sending my sims there on vacation would be a big difference. What I like about CL is that the scenery is very different from the other worlds. I felt like going from Willow Creek to Granite Falls wasn't much of a big change, except for more trees and lots of people running around in bear suits LOL. But you have definitely given me inspiration for some new stories! Thank you OP! :)
    giphy.gif
  • AndreaTheHeroAndreaTheHero Posts: 578 Member
    I had the same idea. I created a natural pool and plan on adding a diner to the granite falls map to make it its own little retreat.
  • starcrunchstarcrunch Posts: 672 Member
    I agree - I think the counterpoint with OR will make is more valuable if living in a place like San Myshuno. I also haven't been in ages as I'm still annoyed by the constant happiness trait that used to get attached to sims and can't be gotten rid of (as far as I know they fixed this going forward, but it still afflicts 2 or my core sims from before the fix - I cheat it away constantly). I'd planned on doing a reboot with CL, but I'm not so sure now as transitioning straight over makes a lot of sense with where everyone is in the story and I like these sims and their huge set of friends/enemies. Also I'd have to spend so much time in club management to get back to where I am now on that front as theirs no way to port those in.

Also wanted to say that I've really enjoyed all the pictures you've posted in various threads of your sims and builds and the excellent captions you give them (also really appreciate the excellent framing of your shots).
    OriginID: CrunchedStars
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,833 Member
    My sims regularly visit Granite Falls and will continue to do so. :)
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    This is why I want a hotel pack. And not the big, huge vacation spots like we had in S3, just small hotel/motel/bed and breakfasts. Just a small building with maybe half a dozen rooms, nothing too fancy or elaborate, just little getaways for weekend vacations or honeymoons. Rent a room, relax on the balcony, go fishing or take stroll through the wood.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    You do bring up a good point. Sims living in the city will probably get more value out of OR's destination. I'll have to remember that with mine. Thanks. :)
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • sinnyoncesinnyonce Posts: 88 Member
    recently bought OR and that sounds like a good addition for a storyline! thanks
  • pallies1pallies1 Posts: 326 Member
    Great idea!

I have replace Granite Falls with the Tropical getaway mod, though. But until now I haven't used it very often. So for the sims in San Myshuno I think it will become handy as a nice break from the city pulse :smile:
  • KiwicantdieKiwicantdie Posts: 1,305 Member
    I think I'll be stuck in San Myshuno for a long time, since I'm already in love with the city B)
    But honeymoons always take place in Granite Falls, so I guess I'll keep on visiting it here and there as always. I really like that place.
    I really wish we had other vacation worlds, to be honest.
    KEBB11a.png
    Origin ID: Kiwicantdie
    Willow Creek | Evergreen Harbor
    I think I'm going to redo my OR for this new pack. I'll keep the camping lot, add a small, romantic cabin for honeymoons or getaways for two, a spa, an outdoor restaurant and a big bed and breakfast cabin. It will have a lot of bedrooms and a big great room with a fireplace (I may playtest using a fire pit inside) and a sitting deck with a view. It won't really be a bed and breakfast because we don't have that programming but I have a good imagination.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    I think I'll be stuck in San Myshuno for a long time, since I'm already in love with the city B)
    But honeymoons always take place in Granite Falls, so I guess I'll keep on visiting it here and there as always. I really like that place.
    I really wish we had other vacation worlds, to be honest.

Same here, but probably for different reasons.
    I have been playing the same sims since the base game with aging off. I will be restarting everyone in a new save for another long play session and everyone will be in San Myshuno. Except for my Cat sims. Their story-line is that they are a genetic experiment by a mad scientist in Windenburg. They were taken away from him and are now living in a house in the country side. However, they are dance machines and love to party, so they will be doing the tourist thing and hanging out in San Myshuno at my dance club.

I will probably pursue romantic interests seriously this time, but only allow engagements until either Generations, or University arrives. Both of those EPs are key to generational game play for me.
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I think I'm going to redo my OR for this new pack. I'll keep the camping lot, add a small, romantic cabin for honeymoons or getaways for two, a spa, an outdoor restaurant and a big bed and breakfast cabin. It will have a lot of bedrooms and a big great room with a fireplace (I may playtest using a fire pit inside) and a sitting deck with a view. It won't really be a bed and breakfast because we don't have that programming but I have a good imagination.

Oh wow, I didn't think about lot traits for OR getaways.
    A romantic cabin with the Romantic Aura trait, that should be really nice for couples. You could also create an artist's retreat, or have a horror in the woods experience with the haunted, cursed, and gremlins traits.

Yeah, I think OR is going to get some new life.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    After I get all my sims up and running in the San Myshuno, and the newness begins to wear off, I plan to start sending sims to Granite Falls on their earn vacation times. I want to feel the difference between the bustling concrete jungle and the natural sounds of the woods. I haven't played Outdoor Retreat in a very long time.

My sim Riya was heavy into making Herbal Remedies. I can see her going mainly to collect ingredients so, she can sell the remedies she makes on the street. All legal of course. :D As she won't have a nice back yard this time, she will probably make more frequent trips.

I remember OR having issues with invited sims bailing out on you, so I would probably mainly send sims who are sharing an apartment with other sims. The only sims I would send individually would probably be someone like Riya who is partially there for business.

Yes my sims still need to go camping and in fact I'm thinking of sending one of my couples there for christmas.
    I am definitely going to do this.
    I've been pretty much ignoring my Sim's vacation days. I might have them take a Friday off, so they can have a three day weekend, but I hardly have them take three or four days off.

I tried the skill building lot traits at my sim's house and I really don't like it for the home. It feel cheaty because they get to use it too much.
    I prefer to have to make them leave the house to get those benefits at community lots that make sense for the activity. It will give me a reason to get them out of the house.

And Outdoor Retreat would be a great getaway to focus on a hobby, or get some other kind of experience.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    I'm already leveling up a herbalist who will sell his remedies with the new shop table in San Myshuno. Can't wait for this :)
    Anyone adding lot traits to OR lots?
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    I like your idea, CK. Windenburg Island and Granite Falls would both be lovely vacation spots for city sims. I also never thought about using the romantic lot trait on a honeymoon cabin in OR... that's a really nice idea! I was just in Granite Falls today (it has been a long while since I visited it), and I forgot how pretty the area was. Alas, I brought my club along with me and they sort of bailed on me. >.< I forgot that happened with sims that weren't in your household.

It could be a bit of fun to set up an Evil Dead cursed/haunted cabin in Granite Falls as well. >:) Muahaha >:)
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
    I like your idea, CK. Windenburg Island and Granite Falls would both be lovely vacation spots for city sims. I also never thought about using the romantic lot trait on a honeymoon cabin in OR... that's a really nice idea! I was just in Granite Falls today (it has been a long while since I visited it), and I forgot how pretty the area was. Alas, I brought my club along with me and they sort of bailed on me. >.< I forgot that happened with sims that weren't in your household.

It could be a bit of fun to set up an Evil Dead cursed/haunted cabin in Granite Falls as well. >:) Muahaha >:)

You send your sim on vacation in GF to get some rest and relax but they stay in a haunted cabin and come home more tense than when they left.
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I really like this topic.

Yes, I like that CL gives me a new setting for my Sims and I like the idea of contrasting it with a world like Granite Falls. I've already started a bit of an 'escape from the city' type story with my journalist: he was living in the city with his family [backstory] and was tired of working for a big corporate machine publisher, when his aunt died and left him her house in the city outskirts of Newcrest he moved there. The house is bigger than the small overpriced apartment he previously rented, and now they don't have any rent or mortgage costs he's going to set up his own small publishing house. He's an investigative journalist and he wants to expose the corruption of the ruling elite. [disclaimer: not all the elite in my game are corrupt but there are definitely a few dodgy ones]

This is a scenario I've been playing since TS3 and I'm so pleased to have the politics career, and the protesting, because it will give me more tools to tell the stories I want to play out in my game. I love that there are opportunities for my politician to actually BE corrupt.

Anyway, back on topic, I do like that we can easily switch Sims between these different settings. It's something we couldn't do in TS3 (without Nraas) and switching hoods meant we broke relationships because the game wasn't set up to work in that way. I always wanted to have some of my Sims living in Bridgeport, and some of them living in Riverview, etc. I think the place that the Sim lives can help to define their character.

I like that there are advertising signs in the city for Granite Falls, and travel posters with aeroplanes. I like that the designers thought about this desire of city dwellers to escape all the concrete and crowds, and escape to somewhere more peaceful.

It would be so nice to get a farming expansion too, with a tranquil country world. I'd love to play out a story of hipster city Sims who want to get back to basics. I'd love it if they could be a bit hopeless at first. There's an old film called Son in Law where a city boy goes to a farm and tries to help out. I can't find the clip, but there's a montage where he's trying to feed the pigs and humorously gets it all wrong, and then he uses his city smarts to do it all really efficiently. I'd love something like that. But it's also really important to be able to do it all properly in a traditional way too.

And a tropical island escape wouldn't go amiss either. ^___^

It's so funny... I'm so excited for San Myshuno, but I'm already talking about my Sims escaping from it! Ha ha!
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,833 Member
    @Cinderellimouse, what an awesome and inspiring post. This is why I love visiting the forums. Getting and sharing ideas with others who are also excited about CL. <3
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    @Cinderellimouse, what an awesome and inspiring post. This is why I love visiting the forums. Getting and sharing ideas with others who are also excited about CL. <3

I have so many ideas for City Living now from reading the forums! I love hearing what everyone is planning with their games and it's interesting that so many different story-lines are cropping up. It's not all rags-to-riches!

@CK213 always has such interesting stories. And @Dannydanbo has been giving me lots of ideas too.
  • CozySimCozySim Posts: 25 New Member
    I love this idea! The greater contrast between San Myshuno and Granite Falls will really make it seem like a vacation. I can see my socialite sim wearing those stiletto hiking boots on a glamping trip, or a family escaping the confines of their tiny apartment in the great outdoors.
  • BleubellBleubell Posts: 457 Member
    You already know I'll be snatching CL up and my (big) families will be taking regular bonding trips to Granite Falls! Can't wait
    tumblr: brooklynsims / cc finds blog: brooklynsimscc
    thank you thread
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    edited October 2016
    I'm just waiting for a beach vacation GP!