Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

the worst thing about City Living - it will sell like hot cakes

Comments

• dreita95dreita95 Posts: 237 Member
    Ciarassims wrote: »
    MissCherie wrote: »
    dreita95 wrote: »
    What I find sad is that people don't learn and they are so desperate for more content that they don't have any standards anymore, people will accept anything as long as they get more content even if it's nothing ''new''.

When they announced the Backyard stuff pack (before getting any info about it), people (rightly) complained that we already had stuff like that, that we already got Perfect Patio stuff pack and Romantic Garden stuff pack which are both pretty much outside/backyard stuff and then Backyard would be the ''third'' one and when I saw people complaining I though ''finally people are learning that we are allowed to expect more, we are allowed to want new and original stuff'', but what did happen? As soon as people saw the water slide everyone lost their brain and got crazy asking EA to take their money cause ''OMG A WATER SLIDE!!!!1''... Really? Why people go crazy on ONE item that isn't even new to the game series?

So if people act like that for a stuff pack then with City Living it will be even worse. People act like it was new and super original while almost everything in that pack is déjà vu, apartments are nothing new, yes it can seems cool to be able to interact with the neighbors, but with the current culling issue good luck enjoying the features that include having relations with your neighbors. The culling issue is already frustrating as it is, it will just become even more of an issue in City Living with the neighbors interactions.

The festivals? We had those in the Sims 3 and from what's have seen today in the stream there's nothing to be excited or impressed about, all they did at the Geek con festival was play games and go to space in a rocket ship, things we can already do, oh and buy stuff from a npc, how original. The Spice festival is pretty much just buying and eating food and I bet the romance festival will just be about flirting, I'm pretty sure the romance guru will have no impact in the game, even if he says you won't find love anytime soon how much you bet you can get a date right away and get marry the same night? So what will the guru really do? Affect your mood by giving ''fake'' good or bad news?

The lot traits are maybe a new system, true, but honestly we already have 500 ways to change our sims' moods, did we really need an other way to do it? And the lot traits that look interesting sounds like they won't do much, like the earthquake one, will it break stuff in your apart or maybe even hurt/kill sims or again it will just give a bad mood to your sims if they experience it? (pretty sure it's just about the mood once again and that it won't affect the game other than that)

We get one skill which is singing (basketball is tied to the fitness skill), I'm not saying it shouldn't be in the game, but honestly it's not the most useful skill, you can't even use it in a career (I doubt you need it to be a politician, critic or social media), but it can be used to affect other sims mood (yup AGAIN, not like we had already 500 ways to do it), one new aspiration that looks like a mix of the social aspirations we already have and two traits that honestly doesn't fit City Living and should be added in the base game in a patch. There so many other traits that would have fit way better, like Diva, it would have fit the City Ling theme way much more than vegetarian (not saying vegetarian is a bad trait, but honestly adding it in the base game would have been fine).

So what's really new and original in that expansion pack? What's something we can say we never saw and will add real gameplay? Nothing, but the OP is right, people will buy it no matter what. People won't buy it cause it's an amazing pack, people will buy it cause they are desperate for more content and it's the third expansion pack in two years, the pack could have been anything else and people would have bought it just to get more content, without realizing that's it's empty content and worse than that people started to pre-order it without even knowing what was in the pack exactly.

It's just sad, cause I'm sure a lot people will buy it just cause it's a ''new'' expansion pack, while it's not even anything they really wanted for the game.

Will you have the same opinion if we get Generations,Pets or Seasons? Because those aren't new to the series either.

City Living is supposed to be new, but offer old stuff (from the previous games and the base game), a lot of people compare it to Late Night, but way less content, my issue is not that it's just old stuff cause it was in the Sims 3, it's that a lot of stuff are already in the base game as well, the humour festival is basically you drink tea, and then do mischievous actions over and over again, that's something already in game, beside snow globes and a talking toilet there's nothing I can say is new in City Living.

So to answer your question if they would be doing those 3 packs and do it the same exact way than in the Sims 3 yes I would have the same opinion, the point of a new game shouldn't be to be an exact copy of the previous games, keep the best from those older features, but add new ones too and not something from the base game.

What do you mean "it's supposed to be new?" Did they advertise every single thing in this pack as "completely new?" Or did they promise this at some point a while ago? And shouldn't packs use the BG features if available, since they need to enhance those as well, and not just completely leave them untouched for the rest of the lifespan?

And the reason people are comparing it to Late Night is, of course, both of them are packs in cities! Why wouldn't they? That's a fun pastime of people on here. And I've seen people who were saying the CL is Late Night but with actual refined content, saying that, while Late Night had a lot of features, they were not pulled off well at all (e.g. Celebrity System, Actual worse apartments than ones in CL, dead "hotspots," etc.)

I would expect something new more than just snow globes and a talking toilet and the rest being recycle from the base game or previous games.

Who needs toddlers, seasons, pets or university then? Out with the old, in with the new!

Maybe people who want a life simulator to seem more like real life? :)

I think you should read the commets lol. He was being sarcastic though.
    Analogue at birth, digital by design.
  • SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited October 2016
    So you think their opinion is wrong? I think City Living looks amazing, are you saying I'm wrong for thinking that way, or does only your opinion matter? Do you think everyone should feel the way do?

Festivals are not 99% main game stuff, don't know where you got that percentage at.

I don't know where you saw young adult living it up gameplay, I saw apartments, city living and stuff like festivals for the family, bubble blowing, basket ball and video game playing for my teens etc.

The fact of the matter is that if all these people are eating it up and it sells like hot cakes, then you're not in the majority and you shouldn't be upset that others like it.

Did you just purposely not read what the OP wrote? This is a direct quote "I'm not blaming anyone for liking the game" so where exactly did they blame you? They literally said they AREN'T blaming anyone. They are 100% right, this game is not up to par with other games in 2016, almost 2017. Look at GTA V an almost 4 year old game and Rockstar is making a killing because they listen to their customers. Red Dead Redemption is an almost SEVEN year old game and Rockstar announced the Prequel on TWITTER which is unheard of and it created a ridiculous amount of buzz because they actually put effort into their games. EA has a HUGE budget so that isn't an excuse. The makers of Witcher 3 (a GOTY winner by the way) is made by a TINY studio with a very small budget and yet it is one of the most massive, content packed games to date.......the issue with this company are people who are relatively new to the franchise settling for everything this company puts out. Its also another reason why Sims 4 has NO awards and is regarded as the least innovative of all its predecessors......

Even though the OP didn't say it, I WILL say it, yes, it is the casual gamers fault because this game could be GREAT and those of us who have been here for almost 17 years have seen this franchise go downhill because people settle for whatever. This is a HUGE problem with casual players (the majority of people who like Sims 4 are casual players that play nothing else) and so they have nothing to compare it to and think this is normal for a developer.....well, as the wife and sister of Devs, I can tell you its not. If anyone would be on the Devs side it's me, having a husband and a brother that work for Ken Levine studio (makers of Bioshock series). Even I am saying this is not good and what they are doing isn't good. This why Rachel is GONE and many of the old Devs have left the company.

EA is notorious for overworking their employees, giving ridiculous deadlines, and releasing games that aren't up to par. There have been several smaller Devs screwed over by EA when EA has been their publisher, a quick Google search will show you that.
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    Schantal wrote: »
    So you think their opinion is wrong? I think City Living looks amazing, are you saying I'm wrong for thinking that way, or does only your opinion matter? Do you think everyone should feel the way do?

Festivals are not 99% main game stuff, don't know where you got that percentage at.

I don't know where you saw young adult living it up gameplay, I saw apartments, city living and stuff like festivals for the family, bubble blowing, basket ball and video game playing for my teens etc.

The fact of the matter is that if all these people are eating it up and it sells like hot cakes, then you're not in the majority and you shouldn't be upset that others like it.

Did you just purposely not read what the OP wrote? This is a direct quote "I'm not blaming anyone for liking the game" so where exactly did they blame you? They literally said they AREN'T blaming anyone. They are 100% right, this game is not up to par with other games in 2016, almost 2017. Look at GTA V an almost 4 year old game and Rockstar is making a killing because they listen to their customers. Red Dead Redemption is an almost SEVEN year old game and Rockstar announced the Prequel on TWITTER which is unheard of and it created a ridiculous amount of buzz because they actually put effort into their games. EA has a HUGE budget so that isn't an excuse. The makers of Witcher 3 (a GOTY winner by the way) is made by a TINY studio with a very small budget and yet it is one of the most massive, content packed games to date.......the issue with this company are people who are relatively new to the franchise settling for everything this company puts out. Its also another reason why Sims 4 has NO awards and is regarded as the least innovative of all its predecessors......

Even though the OP didn't say it, I WILL say it, yes, it is the casual gamers fault because this game could be GREAT and those of us who have been here for almost 17 years have seen this franchise go downhill because people settle for whatever. This is a HUGE problem with casual players (the majority of people who like Sims 4 are casual players that play nothing else) and so they have nothing to compare it to and think this is normal for a developer.....well, as the wife and sister of Devs, I can tell you its not. If anyone would be on the Devs side it's me, having a husband and a brother that work for Ken Levine studio (makers of Bioshock series). Even I am saying this is not good and what they are doing isn't good. This why Rachel is GONE and many of the old Devs have left the company.

EA is notorious for overworking their employees, giving ridiculous deadlines, and releasing games that aren't up to par. There have been several smaller Devs screwed over by EA when EA has been their publisher, a quick Google search will show you that.
    Uh excuse me. I like playing Sims 4 despite the fact that it's very lean in many areas. And I do have and play other video games as well.
  • starcrunchstarcrunch Posts: 672 Member
    edited October 2016

The Witcher 3 had an $81-million budget. Not a HUGE budget but also not a tiny studio with a small budget any more (for reference GTA V had a $265-million budget*).

*ETA: Apparently unconfirmed for GTA V, the Witcher 3 budget number is from CD Projekt Red and has been reported in many places.
    OriginID: CrunchedStars
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member
    Casual players are used to getting blamed for games not meeting the elite gamers standards in just about every game out there. It is almost laughable that anyone actually refers to any simmer as casual though. I hear that term a lot in MMOs. But most gamers I know(the ones that play those MMOs and other hard core video games like the Dark Soul series games) don't even consider simmers real gamers. I don't agree with this mind you, but it is a mindset I see often. I actually get tickled every time someone on here comments about it being mostly casual gamers who like Sims 4. I myself play many different games. I have been playing the Sims series since Sims 2. I still enjoy playing the Sims 4, I am sorry that it doesn't meet some players expectations, but I am not going to stop enjoying a game I like just because it doesn't met their standards. If that makes me a casual in their eyes then hey, that is ok, cause I have been considered that for many years in many other games by so called elitist gamers anyway, I see no reason to let it bother me now.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2016
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    @MissCherie it is an open forum where everyone can post and you seemed to have cleared up your meaning quite well now. No offense was intended I was merely replying to a person who I have chatted to many times before on a topic that I found mildly interesting. Things will always get lost in the chatter and so on. Don't take it personally as that was not my focus at all. :)

You named and tagged me saying ''MissCherie mean she want flea market...'', sorry, but yea I do take it personally when I'm named and tagged.
    You're misquoting there (which is a form of putting the wrong words in someones mouth as well). @NZsimm3r said: "I think MissCherie was meaning she wanted more at the flea market than base game objects etc. Not actually meaning items recycled from previous sim games. After all nearly everyone loves the classics eh." Why not just react by saying: "No, that was not what I meant, you thought wrong"?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    edited October 2016

If I may, not that it matters ... but I do want to say this.

I do not like this argument. It isn't a one size fits all thing. I too have been around the Sims games since the beginning. I like Sims4. I enjoy it ... much more so than some of the previous Sims titles. I don't consider myself to be some sort of casual gamer. I don't see the huge 'flop of sims4' .... Why can't I just like the game cause I enjoy it?
  • KiwicantdieKiwicantdie Posts: 1,305 Member

Wow.
    Since I'm not a casual player and I don't settle for "whatever", I really do wonder: where's your evidence to support this statement and sell it as a fact?
    I think you're mistaking new players with casual players. And careful, "new" doesn't necessarely equate to "younger" either.
    KEBB11a.png
    Origin ID: Kiwicantdie
    Willow Creek | Evergreen Harbor
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @MissCherie it is an open forum where everyone can post and you seemed to have cleared up your meaning quite well now. No offense was intended I was merely replying to a person who I have chatted to many times before on a topic that I found mildly interesting. Things will always get lost in the chatter and so on. Don't take it personally as that was not my focus at all. :)

You named and tagged me saying ''MissCherie mean she want flea market...'', sorry, but yea I do take it personally when I'm named and tagged.
    You're misquoting there (which is a form of putting the wrong words in someones mouth as well). @NZsimm3r said: "I think MissCherie was meaning she wanted more at the flea market than base game objects etc. Not actually meaning items recycled from previous sim games. After all nearly everyone loves the classics eh." Why not just react by saying: "No, that was not what I meant, you thought wrong"?

Because some people replied to me cause of her comment and it annoy the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 out of me to have to reply to people about something I never though or mentioned cause someone decided to ''think out loud for me instead of letting me answer and explain myself. So I do know she wrote I think, but she though wrong as some people haven't seen it that way since there was replies addressed to me from what she said. So look like that for some other people it didn't matter that she wrote I think, I cannot blame her for people's poor reading skills, but what she said was misleading for some, cause they thought I've said what she said.

Imagine I decide one day to post saying '' I think @JoAnne65 want guns and drugs in the game because she want to kill people and make money out of selling drugs'' and then you wake up with people replying to you and messaging you saying ''I disagree JoAnne65, drugs are bad and guns are dangerous'', tell me that you would honestly just say ''nah I don't want that'' and wouldn't tell or at least wish the person didn't wrote something you haven't said?

You would sincerely not care about that at all? Well that's your choice, but I personally don't want people posting saying ''I think MissCherie mean *insert something she never said or mentioned here*'' or at least if they do it then it would be much appreciated that they quote something I've said, not something they took out the thin air. Best 🐸🐸🐸🐸 example? The interview that got pulled out from Grant, did Drake just said ''nah that's not what he meant''? No she defended it saying people misquoted him and that it's not what he said and that people wrongly interpreted his answers, well NZ misinterpreted my opinion and that's my right to call it out, no matter if she wrote I think or not.

Anyway I'm done explaining myself as there's no right or wrong here, I personally don't like having to reply to things I've never said and it's my right, if someone else doesn't care to be named and tagged and misinterpreted then it's his choice not mine.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Hot cakes are overrated. I prefer hot beefcakes with lots of drippy gooey... um... beef. cakes. They're gluten free!
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Because some people replied to me cause of her comment and it annoy the plum out of me to have to reply to people about something I never though or mentioned cause someone decided to ''think out loud for me instead of letting me answer and explain myself. So I do know she wrote I think, but she though wrong as some people haven't seen it that way since there was replies addressed to me from what she said. So look like that for some other people it didn't matter that she wrote I think, I cannot blame her for people's poor reading skills, but what she said was misleading for some, cause they thought I've said what she said.

Imagine I decide one day to post saying '' I think @JoAnne65 want guns and drugs in the game because she want to kill people and make money out of selling drugs'' and then you wake up with people replying to you and messaging you saying ''I disagree JoAnne65, drugs are bad and guns are dangerous'', tell me that you would honestly just say ''nah I don't want that'' and wouldn't tell or at least wish the person didn't wrote something you haven't said?

You would sincerely not care about that at all? Well that's your choice, but I personally don't want people posting saying ''I think MissCherie mean *insert something she never said or mentioned here*'' or at least if they do it then it would be much appreciated that they quote something I've said, not something they took out the thin air. Best plum example? The interview that got pulled out from Grant, did Drake just said ''nah that's not what he meant''? No she defended it saying people misquoted him and that it's not what he said and that people wrongly interpreted his answers, well NZ misinterpreted my opinion and that's my right to call it out, no matter if she wrote I think or not.

Anyway I'm done explaining myself as there's no right or wrong here, I personally don't like having to reply to things I've never said and it's my right, if someone else doesn't care to be named and tagged and misinterpreted then it's his choice not mine.
    I do understand that's annoying, finding yourself in a position where you have to defend yourself against something you never said. My point however was that you're doing the same thing in a way when you misquote her. Because people could also run off with that misquote and start accusing NZsimm3r of literally putting words in your mouth. And she didn't, she clearly pointed out she was only interpreting your words.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    https://www.thesims.com/news/sims-4-city-living-get-excited just saying - the expansion is so empty that they're excited for raccoon suit T_T
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    edited October 2016
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    mirta000 wrote: »
    there's nothing bigger about reducing what you can do with a feature compared to a previous iteration, removing features all together from base game and reusing base game in order to produce just another way to use old content instead of making new content. So no, it's objectively downsizing. And it's just going to get worse next time around. Oh you can still change the interior walls in the apartments? Prepare to lose that next time around. We're no longer even guaranteeing two apartments per building. Now it's 1-3. Meaning next time around people will be happy with just buying apartments with 1.

If you're thinking that there's any reason for them not to do this, please give me at least one.

I think you just need to accept that a lot of people are looking forward to this expansion pack and no amount of pleading on your part is going to change that. You really just need to get over it. I am sorry you're disappointed and underwhelmed, but that is really none of my business and I don't particularly care.

People are not excited for the sake of it - people are excited because they like what they see.

And OP doesn't care either sir. You made it seem like he is sitting on the edge of his seat biting his nails seeing if you will buy it or not, lmao xD . When OP wrote the read he meant the community in general. Not YOU! I love it when people try to show who is boss and making it seem that he is crying now because you said you don't care.
    Post edited by Wulfsimmer on
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    https://www.thesims.com/news/sims-4-city-living-get-excited just saying - the expansion is so empty that they're excited for raccoon suit T_T

Yeah... the suit. It's kind of like the talking toilet- I just don't get the excitement there. It's a costume- I'd rather have another Star Wars one. It's a toilet- how much am I really going to have my sim stand around interacting with the toilet, probably once, to see what it does and that's it... I also really love the part about sharing our creations on the Gallery- sure as individual rooms that someone can try and cobble back together into an apartment. Oh well, you work with what you've got. There's other features that I think are actually bigger.
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member

I'm used to getting the blame for all sorts of imagined things. But am I casual gamer or an elite gamer? I play only three games at this time, but I'm elite level in Project CARS. My screen name can be found at the very top of the worldwide Time Trial rankings for certain cars at the tracks I've attempted to set fast lap times on.

Place the blame elsewhere.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member

During the festival stream they (gurus) spent 5 minutes looking at it and laughing, that show how much the festivals are empty and that they had nothing better to show.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

That's because they're planning TS4 Pets.....a dog suit, a cat suit, a horse suit and so on.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Ravager619 wrote: »

I'm used to getting the blame for all sorts of imagined things. But am I casual gamer or an elite gamer? I play only three games at this time, but I'm elite level in Project CARS. My screen name can be found at the very top of the worldwide Time Trial rankings for certain cars at the tracks I've attempted to set fast lap times on.

Place the blame elsewhere.

To me a casual gamer is the player who does a bit of this and a bit of that or goes into The Sims, collects a few things or tries to level up a skill and doesn't get into really developing families or neighborhoods.....or rather treats the game (or any game) like it's an app.

I know one of the execs from EA was quoted as saying that their games were too hard and players didn't take the time to learn them any more. Maybe he's right????
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    Yeah I get it you don't like Sims 4 but how would you know anything about it's fans. I like Sims 4 and I'm not a casual gamer and I've played all the Sims games for about 14 years now. Fans of the game vary some are casual some aren't just don't assume we must all be this or that cause we like the game. Plus we buy the games but even people who don't like it buy it and that's worse since at least it makes sense for a fan to buy it and a quick fyi if you buy it on sale EA still gets a profit so you still support them money wise.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited October 2016
    Ciarassims wrote: »
    dreita95 wrote: »
    What I find sad is that people don't learn and they are so desperate for more content that they don't have any standards anymore, people will accept anything as long as they get more content even if it's nothing ''new''.

When they announced the Backyard stuff pack (before getting any info about it), people (rightly) complained that we already had stuff like that, that we already got Perfect Patio stuff pack and Romantic Garden stuff pack which are both pretty much outside/backyard stuff and then Backyard would be the ''third'' one and when I saw people complaining I though ''finally people are learning that we are allowed to expect more, we are allowed to want new and original stuff'', but what did happen? As soon as people saw the water slide everyone lost their brain and got crazy asking EA to take their money cause ''OMG A WATER SLIDE!!!!1''... Really? Why people go crazy on ONE item that isn't even new to the game series?

So if people act like that for a stuff pack then with City Living it will be even worse. People act like it was new and super original while almost everything in that pack is déjà vu, apartments are nothing new, yes it can seems cool to be able to interact with the neighbors, but with the current culling issue good luck enjoying the features that include having relations with your neighbors. The culling issue is already frustrating as it is, it will just become even more of an issue in City Living with the neighbors interactions.

The festivals? We had those in the Sims 3 and from what's have seen today in the stream there's nothing to be excited or impressed about, all they did at the Geek con festival was play games and go to space in a rocket ship, things we can already do, oh and buy stuff from a npc, how original. The Spice festival is pretty much just buying and eating food and I bet the romance festival will just be about flirting, I'm pretty sure the romance guru will have no impact in the game, even if he says you won't find love anytime soon how much you bet you can get a date right away and get marry the same night? So what will the guru really do? Affect your mood by giving ''fake'' good or bad news?

The lot traits are maybe a new system, true, but honestly we already have 500 ways to change our sims' moods, did we really need an other way to do it? And the lot traits that look interesting sounds like they won't do much, like the earthquake one, will it break stuff in your apart or maybe even hurt/kill sims or again it will just give a bad mood to your sims if they experience it? (pretty sure it's just about the mood once again and that it won't affect the game other than that)

We get one skill which is singing (basketball is tied to the fitness skill), I'm not saying it shouldn't be in the game, but honestly it's not the most useful skill, you can't even use it in a career (I doubt you need it to be a politician, critic or social media), but it can be used to affect other sims mood (yup AGAIN, not like we had already 500 ways to do it), one new aspiration that looks like a mix of the social aspirations we already have and two traits that honestly doesn't fit City Living and should be added in the base game in a patch. There so many other traits that would have fit way better, like Diva, it would have fit the City Ling theme way much more than vegetarian (not saying vegetarian is a bad trait, but honestly adding it in the base game would have been fine).

So what's really new and original in that expansion pack? What's something we can say we never saw and will add real gameplay? Nothing, but the OP is right, people will buy it no matter what. People won't buy it cause it's an amazing pack, people will buy it cause they are desperate for more content and it's the third expansion pack in two years, the pack could have been anything else and people would have bought it just to get more content, without realizing that's it's empty content and worse than that people started to pre-order it without even knowing what was in the pack exactly.

It's just sad, cause I'm sure a lot people will buy it just cause it's a ''new'' expansion pack, while it's not even anything they really wanted for the game.

Will you have the same opinion if we get Generations,Pets or Seasons? Because those aren't new to the series either.

City Living is supposed to be new, but offer old stuff (from the previous games and the base game), a lot of people compare it to Late Night, but way less content, my issue is not that it's just old stuff cause it was in the Sims 3, it's that a lot of stuff are already in the base game as well, the humour festival is basically you drink tea, and then do mischievous actions over and over again, that's something already in game, beside snow globes and a talking toilet there's nothing I can say is new in City Living.

So to answer your question if they would be doing those 3 packs and do it the same exact way than in the Sims 3 yes I would have the same opinion, the point of a new game shouldn't be to be an exact copy of the previous games, keep the best from those older features, but add new ones too and not something from the base game.

What do you mean "it's supposed to be new?" Did they advertise every single thing in this pack as "completely new?" Or did they promise this at some point a while ago? And shouldn't packs use the BG features if available, since they need to enhance those as well, and not just completely leave them untouched for the rest of the lifespan?

And the reason people are comparing it to Late Night is, of course, both of them are packs in cities! Why wouldn't they? That's a fun pastime of people on here. And I've seen people who were saying the CL is Late Night but with actual refined content, saying that, while Late Night had a lot of features, they were not pulled off well at all (e.g. Celebrity System, Actual worse apartments than ones in CL, dead "hotspots," etc.)

I would expect something new more than just snow globes and a talking toilet and the rest being recycle from the base game or previous games.

Who needs toddlers, seasons, pets or university then? Out with the old, in with the new!

Maybe people who want a life simulator to seem more like real life? :)

I was being sarcastic sweetheart.

Edit: oops someone already cleared that up!
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 637 Member
    I think it's unfair to compare TS4 CL to TS2 or TS3 iterations of apartments. It's a completely different game. Yes, it goes on the same premise that these "sims" live lives that we control and you can make stories and generations out of these characters. But the game isn't the same. I enjoyed The Sims 4 Get To Work although it wasn't like The Sims 3 Ambitions or The Sims 2 Open for Business. Open for Business was amazing, I loved having my simmies craft toys or bake goods to sell, but Get To Work gave me a hybrid of features I liked and introduced it to some new features. Like owning a store outside of my home where I can set the hours that it's open, have my entire family live in it, and work it. I like being able to play as a doctor, scientist, or police officer, and I see how each patch has fixed different bugs and made the game more enjoyable. I like that TS4 has "game packs" instead of simply "stuff packs", it enriches how my simmies live. I loved the Spa game pack. I love the interconnected worlds of The Sims 4, where I can go from one to another without a lot of difficulty and it's not a lot of loading.

I think people have to stop comparing TS4 to any previous version of the Sims, even if the expansion pack "theme" seems similar or familiar to something else. Give TS4 CL a chance on it's own.
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited October 2016

@Schantal Yeah... so just no. I've played The Sims series since the release of TS1, and I still enjoy TS4. My least favorite Sims iteration was actually TS3, and my favorite (until recently) was TS2. People have different tastes and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and you have zero right to use your biased opinion to place ridiculous blame on a game's player base because you aren't getting what you want.

I also play other games. :gasp: (In the MMO department I have enjoyed ESO, GW2, SWTOR, WoW, ArcheAge, Aion etc). I have been in a serious single player adventure phase as of late, (used to really love my MMOs, but they keep letting me down for various reasons...) so I've been kicking it in Dragon Age: Inquisition, Witcher 3, Doom (the 2016 release, which reminds me so much of the original and is just awesome fun), Skyrim, Fallout 4, Borderlands, and some hilarious co-op friend action in Magicka (because being able to kill your friends while killing the bad guys too is just great friend therapy. LOL)

Anyway, you can call me a casual player all you want, that doesn't really bother me, but I definitely play a wide range of other games (so yes, I have things to compare TS4 to), am not new to the series, and I STILL ENJOY TS4. Your judgments and biases are incorrect.

Edited to add @Schantal
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    BreeSasha wrote: »
    I think it's unfair to compare TS4 CL to TS2 or TS3 iterations of apartments. It's a completely different game. Yes, it goes on the same premise that these "sims" live lives that we control and you can make stories and generations out of these characters. But the game isn't the same. I enjoyed The Sims 4 Get To Work although it wasn't like The Sims 3 Ambitions or The Sims 2 Open for Business. Open for Business was amazing, I loved having my simmies craft toys or bake goods to sell, but Get To Work gave me a hybrid of features I liked and introduced it to some new features. Like owning a store outside of my home where I can set the hours that it's open, have my entire family live in it, and work it. I like being able to play as a doctor, scientist, or police officer, and I see how each patch has fixed different bugs and made the game more enjoyable. I like that TS4 has "game packs" instead of simply "stuff packs", it enriches how my simmies live. I loved the Spa game pack. I love the interconnected worlds of The Sims 4, where I can go from one to another without a lot of difficulty and it's not a lot of loading.

I think people have to stop comparing TS4 to any previous version of the Sims, even if the expansion pack "theme" seems similar or familiar to something else. Give TS4 CL a chance on it's own.

That's how the world works. If you make a sequel to something it's going to be judged off of what came before it. If this game is intended to be THAT different, that it should stand on its own without comparison to any entry that came before it, then they need to change the name of the game. A spin off and a sequel are not the same thing.

Apartments for example, have been a highly requested item for a long time. Even as far back as Sims 3, where we didn't end up getting them. So when Maxis has over 5 years worth of data saying players liked apartments (Sims 2 style since that's the only kind we have ever had) and want them again, is it really worth the risk of doing them a completely different way, that no one was asking for, simply to be different?

CL rehashes a lot of gameplay. Eating and socializing are pretty much the core gameplay behind the festivals (some have other activities as well, and likewise most are from the base game), and both eating and socializing have been a prominent aspect of several packs. DO was specifically about restaurants, GTW had bakeries, GT the cafe; GT as well as CL put a heavy emphasis on 'meeting new sims' and socializing. GTW's active career tasks also require a hefty amount of socializing, but it wasn't used as a selling point. That's rehashing content from WITHIN TS4, I would gladly take a rehash of older content if it meant getting something different than that.

So when players call for TS4 to stand on it's own because they don't want to see the same stuff over and over, what exactly do they think they are already getting? The same content with a slight difference being sold to us as something completely new and exciting.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    FCazares wrote: »
    The only thing I don't like about it is the price point, $40 for a DLC hurts a lot this time of year and I will probably have to wait until it goes on sale before I can afford to buy it. :'(

It's the standard price for an expansion -- maybe it's a good thing we only get one actual expansion a year, since game packs and stuff packs cost a lot less.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    hi @HIFreeBirdIH :) I think @MissCherie was meaning she wanted more at the flea market than base game objects etc. Not actually meaning items recycled from previous sim games. After all nearly everyone loves the classics eh.

It looks like the flea markets will have items from every pack you have in your own collection -- they just showed base game because that's what they normally do, show how a pack works with a pack they know everyone has. You can certainly sell anything that you can carry in your personal inventory (not sure if there will be a way for active Sims to sell larger items); I'm saving the extra skulls from the Skull Challenge plus the MySims figures for selling and bargaining at the market. Maybe people with Kids Room stuff will find used Voidcritter cards.They also mentioned I think that there are unique items that you can only get at the flea market, and not every time you go so it sounds a lot like it's more than just "base game".
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)