Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

the worst thing about City Living - it will sell like hot cakes

Comments

• Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    MissCherie wrote: »
    dreita95 wrote: »
    What I find sad is that people don't learn and they are so desperate for more content that they don't have any standards anymore, people will accept anything as long as they get more content even if it's nothing ''new''.

When they announced the Backyard stuff pack (before getting any info about it), people (rightly) complained that we already had stuff like that, that we already got Perfect Patio stuff pack and Romantic Garden stuff pack which are both pretty much outside/backyard stuff and then Backyard would be the ''third'' one and when I saw people complaining I though ''finally people are learning that we are allowed to expect more, we are allowed to want new and original stuff'', but what did happen? As soon as people saw the water slide everyone lost their brain and got crazy asking EA to take their money cause ''OMG A WATER SLIDE!!!!1''... Really? Why people go crazy on ONE item that isn't even new to the game series?

So if people act like that for a stuff pack then with City Living it will be even worse. People act like it was new and super original while almost everything in that pack is déjà vu, apartments are nothing new, yes it can seems cool to be able to interact with the neighbors, but with the current culling issue good luck enjoying the features that include having relations with your neighbors. The culling issue is already frustrating as it is, it will just become even more of an issue in City Living with the neighbors interactions.

The festivals? We had those in the Sims 3 and from what's have seen today in the stream there's nothing to be excited or impressed about, all they did at the Geek con festival was play games and go to space in a rocket ship, things we can already do, oh and buy stuff from a npc, how original. The Spice festival is pretty much just buying and eating food and I bet the romance festival will just be about flirting, I'm pretty sure the romance guru will have no impact in the game, even if he says you won't find love anytime soon how much you bet you can get a date right away and get marry the same night? So what will the guru really do? Affect your mood by giving ''fake'' good or bad news?

The lot traits are maybe a new system, true, but honestly we already have 500 ways to change our sims' moods, did we really need an other way to do it? And the lot traits that look interesting sounds like they won't do much, like the earthquake one, will it break stuff in your apart or maybe even hurt/kill sims or again it will just give a bad mood to your sims if they experience it? (pretty sure it's just about the mood once again and that it won't affect the game other than that)

We get one skill which is singing (basketball is tied to the fitness skill), I'm not saying it shouldn't be in the game, but honestly it's not the most useful skill, you can't even use it in a career (I doubt you need it to be a politician, critic or social media), but it can be used to affect other sims mood (yup AGAIN, not like we had already 500 ways to do it), one new aspiration that looks like a mix of the social aspirations we already have and two traits that honestly doesn't fit City Living and should be added in the base game in a patch. There so many other traits that would have fit way better, like Diva, it would have fit the City Ling theme way much more than vegetarian (not saying vegetarian is a bad trait, but honestly adding it in the base game would have been fine).

So what's really new and original in that expansion pack? What's something we can say we never saw and will add real gameplay? Nothing, but the OP is right, people will buy it no matter what. People won't buy it cause it's an amazing pack, people will buy it cause they are desperate for more content and it's the third expansion pack in two years, the pack could have been anything else and people would have bought it just to get more content, without realizing that's it's empty content and worse than that people started to pre-order it without even knowing what was in the pack exactly.

It's just sad, cause I'm sure a lot people will buy it just cause it's a ''new'' expansion pack, while it's not even anything they really wanted for the game.

Will you have the same opinion if we get Generations,Pets or Seasons? Because those aren't new to the series either.

City Living is supposed to be new, but offer old stuff (from the previous games and the base game), a lot of people compare it to Late Night, but way less content, my issue is not that it's just old stuff cause it was in the Sims 3, it's that a lot of stuff are already in the base game as well, the humour festival is basically you drink tea, and then do mischievous actions over and over again, that's something already in game, beside snow globes and a talking toilet there's nothing I can say is new in City Living.

So to answer your question if they would be doing those 3 packs and do it the same exact way than in the Sims 3 yes I would have the same opinion, the point of a new game shouldn't be to be an exact copy of the previous games, keep the best from those older features, but add new ones too and not something from the base game.

What do you mean "it's supposed to be new?" Did they advertise every single thing in this pack as "completely new?" Or did they promise this at some point a while ago? And shouldn't packs use the BG features if available, since they need to enhance those as well, and not just completely leave them untouched for the rest of the lifespan?

And the reason people are comparing it to Late Night is, of course, both of them are packs in cities! Why wouldn't they? That's a fun pastime of people on here. And I've seen people who were saying the CL is Late Night but with actual refined content, saying that, while Late Night had a lot of features, they were not pulled off well at all (e.g. Celebrity System, Actual worse apartments than ones in CL, dead "hotspots," etc.)

I would expect something new more than just snow globes and a talking toilet and the rest being recycle from the base game or previous games.

Who needs toddlers, seasons, pets or university then? Out with the old, in with the new!
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    What I find sad is that people don't learn and they are so desperate for more content that they don't have any standards anymore, people will accept anything as long as they get more content even if it's nothing ''new''.

When they announced the Backyard stuff pack (before getting any info about it), people (rightly) complained that we already had stuff like that, that we already got Perfect Patio stuff pack and Romantic Garden stuff pack which are both pretty much outside/backyard stuff and then Backyard would be the ''third'' one and when I saw people complaining I though ''finally people are learning that we are allowed to expect more, we are allowed to want new and original stuff'', but what did happen? As soon as people saw the water slide everyone lost their brain and got crazy asking EA to take their money cause ''OMG A WATER SLIDE!!!!1''... Really? Why people go crazy on ONE item that isn't even new to the game series?

So if people act like that for a stuff pack then with City Living it will be even worse. People act like it was new and super original while almost everything in that pack is déjà vu, apartments are nothing new, yes it can seems cool to be able to interact with the neighbors, but with the current culling issue good luck enjoying the features that include having relations with your neighbors. The culling issue is already frustrating as it is, it will just become even more of an issue in City Living with the neighbors interactions.

The festivals? We had those in the Sims 3 and from what's have seen today in the stream there's nothing to be excited or impressed about, all they did at the Geek con festival was play games and go to space in a rocket ship, things we can already do, oh and buy stuff from a npc, how original. The Spice festival is pretty much just buying and eating food and I bet the romance festival will just be about flirting, I'm pretty sure the romance guru will have no impact in the game, even if he says you won't find love anytime soon how much you bet you can get a date right away and get marry the same night? So what will the guru really do? Affect your mood by giving ''fake'' good or bad news?

The lot traits are maybe a new system, true, but honestly we already have 500 ways to change our sims' moods, did we really need an other way to do it? And the lot traits that look interesting sounds like they won't do much, like the earthquake one, will it break stuff in your apart or maybe even hurt/kill sims or again it will just give a bad mood to your sims if they experience it? (pretty sure it's just about the mood once again and that it won't affect the game other than that)

We get one skill which is singing (basketball is tied to the fitness skill), I'm not saying it shouldn't be in the game, but honestly it's not the most useful skill, you can't even use it in a career (I doubt you need it to be a politician, critic or social media), but it can be used to affect other sims mood (yup AGAIN, not like we had already 500 ways to do it), one new aspiration that looks like a mix of the social aspirations we already have and two traits that honestly doesn't fit City Living and should be added in the base game in a patch. There so many other traits that would have fit way better, like Diva, it would have fit the City Ling theme way much more than vegetarian (not saying vegetarian is a bad trait, but honestly adding it in the base game would have been fine).

So what's really new and original in that expansion pack? What's something we can say we never saw and will add real gameplay? Nothing, but the OP is right, people will buy it no matter what. People won't buy it cause it's an amazing pack, people will buy it cause they are desperate for more content and it's the third expansion pack in two years, the pack could have been anything else and people would have bought it just to get more content, without realizing that's it's empty content and worse than that people started to pre-order it without even knowing what was in the pack exactly.

It's just sad, cause I'm sure a lot people will buy it just cause it's a ''new'' expansion pack, while it's not even anything they really wanted for the game.

Will you have the same opinion if we get Generations,Pets or Seasons? Because those aren't new to the series either.

City Living is supposed to be new, but offer old stuff (from the previous games and the base game), a lot of people compare it to Late Night, but way less content, my issue is not that it's just old stuff cause it was in the Sims 3, it's that a lot of stuff are already in the base game as well, the humour festival is basically you drink tea, and then do mischievous actions over and over again, that's something already in game, beside snow globes and a talking toilet there's nothing I can say is new in City Living.

So to answer your question if they would be doing those 3 packs and do it the same exact way than in the Sims 3 yes I would have the same opinion, the point of a new game shouldn't be to be an exact copy of the previous games, keep the best from those older features, but add new ones too and not something from the base game.

What do you mean "it's supposed to be new?" Did they advertise every single thing in this pack as "completely new?" Or did they promise this at some point a while ago? And shouldn't packs use the BG features if available, since they need to enhance those as well, and not just completely leave them untouched for the rest of the lifespan?

And the reason people are comparing it to Late Night is, of course, both of them are packs in cities! Why wouldn't they? That's a fun pastime of people on here. And I've seen people who were saying the CL is Late Night but with actual refined content, saying that, while Late Night had a lot of features, they were not pulled off well at all (e.g. Celebrity System, Actual worse apartments than ones in CL, dead "hotspots," etc.)

I would expect something new more than just snow globes and a talking toilet and the rest being recycle from the base game or previous games.

Look, if you've had 3 iterations of a game, each with their own EPs, do you really think that it's impossible to not recycle? And if people don't things from previous games, then I guess we don't need any of these Seasons Pets or Toddlers that people want, because those would've just been recycled from past games, and nobody wants that do they?
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    hi @HIFreeBirdIH :) I think @MissCherie was meaning she wanted more at the flea market than base game objects etc. Not actually meaning items recycled from previous sim games. After all nearly everyone loves the classics eh.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    hi @HIFreeBirdIH :) I think @MissCherie was meaning she wanted more at the flea market than base game objects etc. Not actually meaning items recycled from previous sim games. After all nearly everyone loves the classics eh.

Well, if you're doing a Flea Market, you're inevitably going to end up with stuff from the BG, but no, I don't think that's what she's talking about.

She also mentioned "stuff from previous games," which i don't see at all in the Flea Market, but put throughout the pack. If she doesn't want them to use stuff from previous games because it's "recycling," then that just says she thinks this game should try to make everything "new and innovative."
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
    Well, everything can't be new etc etc as for many it is the 'old' stuff that holds the charm and memories of fun times with our sims.

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Well, everything can't be new etc etc as for many it is the 'old' stuff that holds the charm and memories of fun times with our sims.

Like this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHucZWwgrEg
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright

Like this?

Well, tbh no, not for me anyway. Sorry, never used them in previous games either. lol I was thinking more along the lines of nectar making and so on.

• mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited October 2016

Like this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHucZWwgrEg

bubble blower was present in TS2 University too I believe. That being said, I don't mind it as an object, but take issue in how VERY FEW objects in the new EP have new interactions/ animations and are not just another bed, or table, or chair.
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member

Like this?

Well, tbh no, not for me anyway. Sorry, never used them in previous games either. lol I was thinking more along the lines of nectar making and so on.

I'd love nectar making again! I had a Sim who was a nectar producer who owned a series of bars and distributed the nectar in them. ^__^ But I'd like to be able to put any ingredients in it to make my own concoctions, because that's part of the fun. If I want to make elderflower nectar; tomato nectar; or even onion and garlic nectar, then that should be possible! It was funny to make really gross mixtures! I'd rather use anything I want than be restricted to set recipes. But obviously using sensible and high quality ingredients should have a better outcome.

Like this?

I never used it (the bubble bar) either I used it as an example of something being redone for TS4. Not only do I miss things like nectar making but I miss that kind of fun thing missing from this version.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright

Like this?

I never used it (the bubble bar) either I used it as an example of something being redone for TS4. Not only do I miss things like nectar making but I miss that kind of fun thing missing from this version.

Me too, big time.

• sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    I can't really say what all will show up at the Flea Market until after I start playing with the Flea Market installed in my game. But I can't imagine that only base game objects being sold at the Flea Market.
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member

Hi, MissCherie here, I don't want to sound rude, but I can explain what I mean by myself thank you, I would appreciate that you let my name out if it's to start a discussion about something I didn't even mention. I never mentioned the flea market and never said I wanted something new in ALL features of the pack, if I did then boy I must have been drunk cause I don't remember saying that.

@HIFreeBirdIH Please ignore what NZsimm3r said, I never mentioned the flea market so no idea why it got bring up. What I mean is of course there's stuff that will come back, I'm not saying to take nothing from the previous games, my point is yes take the best from the previous games, the feature that people appreciated, but bring something new as well, mixing stuff from previous games and from the base game isn't imaginative or creative in my opinion.

What's really new in City Living that we haven't seen or did in a previous Sims games or in the base game? Beside the snow globes and the talking toilet I cannot think of anything else and to me those 2 objects doesn't add game play and doesn't worth 40$, but that's my opinion, but then seeing how the Gurus did laugh for 5 minutes looking at the raccoon suit, then maybe some people will have hours of pleasure with the talking toilet, but not me.

The Humour festival is an other example, you arrive there, drink tea and then tell jokes, again some people might enjoy that, but it's something we can do in the base game, something a lot of people already did hundred times, drinking tea before doing it doesn't make it new and to me the festival feature is nothing appealing since the majority of the stuff are stuff we can do in the base game.

So I'm sure a lot of people will buy the pack and enjoy it to death, good for them if they like doing the same stuff over and over again, but I as a customer am disappointed that it doesn't offer anything new game play wise.

And an other example to make you understand what I mean by they reuse old stuff, I don't know if you watch the LGR videos, but if you do I don't know if you remember, but he posted a video and EVERYONE though it was his review of the Movie Hangout pack and big surprise it wasn't, it was just a video with in game stuff we already have, but a lot of people though it was the stuff from the pack (until he announce in the video that the video was just an announcement that he would do the review soon), that says a lot. I'm not saying it was ALL old stuff and reskin of already existing objects/clothing, but it show that a lot of what was in the pack did look similar to what we already have in the base game. for people to mistaken the base game with a pack.

But yea my point is name me stuff in City Living that haven't been seen in a previous Sims game or in the base game. Something that only the sims 4 have and that is not in the base game already. The list will be short.

gCQKjq4.png
  • knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    And I've seen people who were saying the CL is Late Night but with actual refined content

What refined content?

Talking toilets ;)
  • MiltuMiltu Posts: 34 Member
    I would really love to buy City Living right away if i had the money, but i don't. But still, i think that this EP is offering so much everything. Yes, the new things are from different Sims 3 EP's, but wasn't that what people wanted? Some of the old stuff from previous game? At least that's how i see it, i might be wrong. When i compared GT to CL i noticed how much new things they are in CL. In previous EPs i've felt like they have took one thing that they want to focus on, like Clubs in GT or Jobs in GTW. But in Cl there's a little bit of everything. Festivals, Apartments, New Careers, New skills... This is why i love CL so so much. But i also understand people who dislike it, tho it's a bit hard for me. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion, right? :smile:
    @MissCherie Like you I don't see a lot to get excited about. When the first information came out I wanted to be able to build grungy apartments and then when the flea market info was released I thought that might be worthwhile. Now that I know how limited the building is I can't see paying 40.00 for a flea market.
    Miltu wrote: »
    I would really love to buy City Living right away if i had the money, but i don't. But still, i think that this EP is offering so much everything. Yes, the new things are from different Sims 3 EP's, but wasn't that what people wanted? Some of the old stuff from previous game? At least that's how i see it, i might be wrong. When i compared GT to CL i noticed how much new things they are in CL. In previous EPs i've felt like they have took one thing that they want to focus on, like Clubs in GT or Jobs in GTW. But in Cl there's a little bit of everything. Festivals, Apartments, New Careers, New skills... This is why i love CL so so much. But i also understand people who dislike it, tho it's a bit hard for me. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion, right? :smile:

Some, not all.

Everything you name isn't new, festivals we had that in the Sims 3, apartments we had them in the Sims 2 and 3, new careers: social media and critic are new, but not really active careers, we still need to see what the work from home is, if it's sitting at a computer for 8 hours then I'm sorry it's not new and the singing skill was in the Sims 3 as well.

I know you didn't quote me, but a lot did quote me acting like I said that I wanted absolutely NOTHING from the previous games, I wish people would read people's posts better, I never said I didn't wanted old features from the previous Sims, I said that while bringing back some old features it would be nice to ALSO get new ones. BOTH old and new. I never said just new stuff and saying new stuff would be nice =/= don't want anything old from the previous games.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited October 2016
    knazzer wrote: »
    And I've seen people who were saying the CL is Late Night but with actual refined content

What refined content?

Talking toilets ;)
    There's those two words talking toilet again! :D

Some, not all.

Everything you name isn't new, festivals we had that in the Sims 3, apartments we had them in the Sims 2 and 3, new careers: social media and critic are new, but not really active careers, we still need to see what the work from home is, if it's sitting at a computer for 8 hours then I'm sorry it's not new and the singing skill was in the Sims 3 as well.

I know you didn't quote me, but a lot did quote me acting like I said that I wanted absolutely NOTHING from the previous games, I wish people would read people's posts better, I never said I didn't wanted old features from the previous Sims, I said that while bringing back some old features it would be nice to ALSO get new ones. BOTH old and new. I never said just new stuff and saying new stuff would be nice =/= don't want anything old from the previous games.

Perhaps you just need to explain yourself a little clearer. :)

Some, not all.

Perhaps you just need to explain yourself a little clearer. :)

I would love to, but YOU decided to speak for me and posted saying I wanted new stuff for the flea market while I NEVER even spoke about the flea market, YOU did and you did put my name in there, so perhaps next time do no speak for people, specially if you did not understand yourself what the person meant. If someone doesn't understand something I say, I'll gladly explain it myself, I don't need someone to try to explain what I meant by saying stuff I never said.

I know it's a friendly forum and that you probably meant to be helpful, but speaking for someone else saying something that person never said isn't helpful and is quite frustrating for the person. If you don't understand what I mean then please do not try to explain it to someone else, let me do it myself.

I said many times that bringing back old features that people appreciated is fine as long as not EVERYTHING we have in the pack is old stuff. I never said that I wanted NOTHING old and that I wanted EVERYTHING to be new.

Wanting new features=/=Not wanting any old features back.

gCQKjq4.png
    @MissCherie it is an open forum where everyone can post and you seemed to have cleared up your meaning quite well now. No offense was intended I was merely replying to a person who I have chatted to many times before on a topic that I found mildly interesting. Things will always get lost in the chatter and so on. Don't take it personally as that was not my focus at all. :)

• CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member

Who needs toddlers, seasons, pets or university then? Out with the old, in with the new!

Maybe people who want a life simulator to seem more like real life? :)
    giphy_1.gif
    @MissCherie it is an open forum where everyone can post and you seemed to have cleared up your meaning quite well now. No offense was intended I was merely replying to a person who I have chatted to many times before on a topic that I found mildly interesting. Things will always get lost in the chatter and so on. Don't take it personally as that was not my focus at all. :)

You named and tagged me saying ''MissCherie mean she want flea market...'', sorry, but yea I do take it personally when I'm named and tagged.
    gCQKjq4.png

You named and tagged me saying ''MissCherie mean she want flea market...'', sorry, but yea I do take it personally when I'm named and tagged.

Like I said, it wasn't intended that way. I tagged you out of politeness as I was making a comment on your post inadvertently through my reply to someone else. I would have tagged anyone in the same situation. That is what I meant by do not take it personally. I was not deliberately trying to do anything other than post my own thoughts.

• bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    Hotcakes! I love me some hotcakes!! As a matter of fact,I think I might have some on release day! ;)