Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

the worst thing about City Living - it will sell like hot cakes

Comments

• stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    alexandrea wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    Neia wrote: »
    I find it odd when people gives a number of features as an indication of the quality of the game. Because let's face it, how many people on this forum would be happy if culling was gone ? If TS5 is exactly TS4 without culling, according to some people in this thread, it would be objectively smaller than TS4 because it has less features, but would it be worse for you ? (For me, it would because I like culling, but we won't all have the same anwser). Would it be worrying ?
    I was just thinking that too, culling is something that I can agree on with many people of not liking. I guess in the Sims community it is possible to find common ground with other Simmers and not liking culling and relationship culling is one of those areas.

I am yet to see anyone say that they agree with culling in the game and if anyone does say it, I won't believe them anyway.

Who plays The Sims just to see them get culled anyway? :no_mouth:

I am okay with culling, as it is not that extreme as some people make it out to be. It hasn't happened for me but then again I don't play rotationally... If you ask me it's realistic. Relationships require work...

Some relationship decay is natural -- but even some of the SimGurus have admitted that it's too aggressive in some circumstances, especially when it involves inactive played households. An inactive played household should ideally remain in stasis when it comes to relationships -- no decrease, no increase -- because theoretically those household members are still interacting every day since they live in the same house.

The other issue is the over-generation of NPCs to fill spots like gardeners, mail carriers, gym trainers, etc. -- again, ideally, you should have the same Sims in those positions until they either die of old age or until they're removed from the NPC pool by being added to a household. (I had a Sim who married her gym trainer in a previous save -- ended up being one of the best Sim spouses I've found.) That theoretically should reduce the amount of culling needed by the game. I do notice that the game is using more inactive Sims to fill positions -- Zoe Patel of the Roomies household and Travis Scott from the BFFs are wait staff at the Sunny Side Diner in my game, and since I don't actively play those households that works for me. That use of in-game Sims should also reduce the amount of NPCs needed.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Death by pufferfish! Yes please!
    Death by fireworks set off inside is back too from TS1. :)

Wait! It is!? Where did you see this?
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member

They shared in the livestream about festivals that if you set off fireworks inside a building/home, that it would start a fire. I don't remember them saying specifically death by fireworks but I assume they could burn to death from it.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member

This is probably the "best" feature from City Living, imo. Between the Fugu fish and the fireworks, they've given us two methods to reasonably murder other Sims, which is a nice change from the usual happy-go-lucky perfect neighborhood where it's a struggle just to start a fire.

Try looking up the most recent livestream on Youtube (SimsVIP has it?) and scroll through the video til you see sims interacting with fireworks (you'll get preview pop up images if you mouse over certain time points), they mention it's a "guarenteed fire" if you use them indoors.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • starcrunchstarcrunch Posts: 672 Member

According to the live stream on Friday, there is a 100% chance of fire if you set off fireworks in a building. They were on the verge of showing it off, but elected not too in case they needed to come back to the apartment in the live stream as I recall.
    OriginID: CrunchedStars
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    ebuchala wrote: »

They shared in the livestream about festivals that if you set off fireworks inside a building/home, that it would start a fire. I don't remember them saying specifically death by fireworks but I assume they could burn to death from it.
    ^Yep with the live stream.
    @Gruffman yeah.....best to ignore the forum rule breaks comments. Nice to see you again. :)
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited October 2016
    ebuchala wrote: »

^Yep with the live stream.
    @Gruffman yeah.....best to ignore the forum rule breaks comments. Nice to see you again. :)
    I think that why that they never had mentioned that sims can die by fireworks is because it would kill sims by burning them to death. And most everyone knows by now that sims can die by fire. So there's no real reason to mention something that most players already know in the live broadcast when they could have used that spot for something that players don't know yet.
    BOT: It'll be interesting to see the report on just how well CL sells with in the first two weeks after it's launch next week.
    sunman502 wrote: »
    I think that why that they never had mentioned that sims can die by fireworks is because it would kill sims by burning them to death. And most everyone knows by now that sims can die by fire. So there's no real reason to mention something that most players already know in the live broadcast when they could have used that spot for something that players don't know yet.
    BOT: It'll be interesting to see the report on just how well CL sells with in the first two weeks after it's launch next week.
    I was thinking that too, it is another death by fire and an old school death, so made me smile when I heard that it was returning. I'm very much a pyro Simmer. They did mention it on the stream, but didn't show it, which is ok. Just nice knowing it exists. I have yet to see official sales confirmed by anything Sims 4 related, but yeah will be interesting to see the feedback on it at least. I am quite entertained I admit seeing what the reaction is to each pack and if it changes after the PEPs wears off. I'm kind of a business nerd with things like that. I did end up buying Overwatch instead. :)
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    I was thinking that too, it is another death by fire and an old school death, so made me smile when I heard that it was returning. I'm very much a pyro Simmer. They did mention it on the stream, but didn't show it, which is ok. Just nice knowing it exists. I have yet to see official sales confirmed by anything Sims 4 related, but yeah will be interesting to see the feedback on it at least. I am quite entertained I admit seeing what the reaction is to each pack and if it changes after the PEPs wears off. I'm kind of a business nerd with things like that. I did end up buying Overwatch instead. :)

For those interested Luke's second video at the thread below opens with a sim starting a fire by lighting off a firework indoors. Finally we have a reliable way to start a fire that isn't so hokey as surrounding the area with fireplaces!

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/902900/city-living-preview-first-look
    starcrunch wrote: »

For those interested Luke's second video at the thread below opens with a sim starting a fire by lighting off a firework indoors. Finally we have a reliable way to start a fire that isn't so hokey as surrounding the area with fireplaces!

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/902900/city-living-preview-first-look
    It does open with that, but the sim didn't die by fire. I think that it shows the townie Penny Pizzazz putting out the fire. It's hard to say since Luke The Plumbob had the game camera to far away when he took that in game footage when the fire was being extinguished.
    I feel pretty confident I can kill a sim with that fire if I work on it ( and lock the doors).
    I feel pretty confident I can kill a sim with that fire if I work on it ( and lock the doors).
    Sure you can. You just need to make it so that the sim can't extinguish them selves in some way.
    Sure you can. You just need to make it so that the sim can't extinguish them selves in some way.
    Good thing fireworks link together then. Link them all up around a Sims and ultimate chaos. >:) It actually would be interesting seeing who can get the record of most fireworks set off in a house while linked together. New challenge!
  • lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    Good thing fireworks link together then. Link them all up around a Sims and ultimate chaos. >:) It actually would be interesting seeing who can get the record of most fireworks set off in a house while linked together. New challenge!

I honestly have to applaud maxis for this. Although the fireworks in sims 3 were fun and really pretty I kinda would have liked to of seen a bit more creative freedom there. Now I can actually plan out fireworks displays so I can create a romantic atmosphere or maybe something more crazy.
  • dreita95dreita95 Posts: 237 Member
    MissCherie wrote: »
    What I find sad is that people don't learn and they are so desperate for more content that they don't have any standards anymore, people will accept anything as long as they get more content even if it's nothing ''new''.

When they announced the Backyard stuff pack (before getting any info about it), people (rightly) complained that we already had stuff like that, that we already got Perfect Patio stuff pack and Romantic Garden stuff pack which are both pretty much outside/backyard stuff and then Backyard would be the ''third'' one and when I saw people complaining I though ''finally people are learning that we are allowed to expect more, we are allowed to want new and original stuff'', but what did happen? As soon as people saw the water slide everyone lost their brain and got crazy asking EA to take their money cause ''OMG A WATER SLIDE!!!!1''... Really? Why people go crazy on ONE item that isn't even new to the game series?

So if people act like that for a stuff pack then with City Living it will be even worse. People act like it was new and super original while almost everything in that pack is déjà vu, apartments are nothing new, yes it can seems cool to be able to interact with the neighbors, but with the current culling issue good luck enjoying the features that include having relations with your neighbors. The culling issue is already frustrating as it is, it will just become even more of an issue in City Living with the neighbors interactions.

The festivals? We had those in the Sims 3 and from what's have seen today in the stream there's nothing to be excited or impressed about, all they did at the Geek con festival was play games and go to space in a rocket ship, things we can already do, oh and buy stuff from a npc, how original. The Spice festival is pretty much just buying and eating food and I bet the romance festival will just be about flirting, I'm pretty sure the romance guru will have no impact in the game, even if he says you won't find love anytime soon how much you bet you can get a date right away and get marry the same night? So what will the guru really do? Affect your mood by giving ''fake'' good or bad news?

The lot traits are maybe a new system, true, but honestly we already have 500 ways to change our sims' moods, did we really need an other way to do it? And the lot traits that look interesting sounds like they won't do much, like the earthquake one, will it break stuff in your apart or maybe even hurt/kill sims or again it will just give a bad mood to your sims if they experience it? (pretty sure it's just about the mood once again and that it won't affect the game other than that)

We get one skill which is singing (basketball is tied to the fitness skill), I'm not saying it shouldn't be in the game, but honestly it's not the most useful skill, you can't even use it in a career (I doubt you need it to be a politician, critic or social media), but it can be used to affect other sims mood (yup AGAIN, not like we had already 500 ways to do it), one new aspiration that looks like a mix of the social aspirations we already have and two traits that honestly doesn't fit City Living and should be added in the base game in a patch. There so many other traits that would have fit way better, like Diva, it would have fit the City Ling theme way much more than vegetarian (not saying vegetarian is a bad trait, but honestly adding it in the base game would have been fine).

So what's really new and original in that expansion pack? What's something we can say we never saw and will add real gameplay? Nothing, but the OP is right, people will buy it no matter what. People won't buy it cause it's an amazing pack, people will buy it cause they are desperate for more content and it's the third expansion pack in two years, the pack could have been anything else and people would have bought it just to get more content, without realizing that's it's empty content and worse than that people started to pre-order it without even knowing what was in the pack exactly.

It's just sad, cause I'm sure a lot people will buy it just cause it's a ''new'' expansion pack, while it's not even anything they really wanted for the game.

Will you have the same opinion if we get Generations,Pets or Seasons? Because those aren't new to the series either.
    Analogue at birth, digital by design.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I guess everyone has seen the interactive map.

https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/city-living-san-myshuno-map
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • FCazaresFCazares Posts: 20 Member
    The only thing I don't like about it is the price point, $40 for a DLC hurts a lot this time of year and I will probably have to wait until it goes on sale before I can afford to buy it. :'(
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    dreita95 wrote: »
    What I find sad is that people don't learn and they are so desperate for more content that they don't have any standards anymore, people will accept anything as long as they get more content even if it's nothing ''new''.

When they announced the Backyard stuff pack (before getting any info about it), people (rightly) complained that we already had stuff like that, that we already got Perfect Patio stuff pack and Romantic Garden stuff pack which are both pretty much outside/backyard stuff and then Backyard would be the ''third'' one and when I saw people complaining I though ''finally people are learning that we are allowed to expect more, we are allowed to want new and original stuff'', but what did happen? As soon as people saw the water slide everyone lost their brain and got crazy asking EA to take their money cause ''OMG A WATER SLIDE!!!!1''... Really? Why people go crazy on ONE item that isn't even new to the game series?

So if people act like that for a stuff pack then with City Living it will be even worse. People act like it was new and super original while almost everything in that pack is déjà vu, apartments are nothing new, yes it can seems cool to be able to interact with the neighbors, but with the current culling issue good luck enjoying the features that include having relations with your neighbors. The culling issue is already frustrating as it is, it will just become even more of an issue in City Living with the neighbors interactions.

The festivals? We had those in the Sims 3 and from what's have seen today in the stream there's nothing to be excited or impressed about, all they did at the Geek con festival was play games and go to space in a rocket ship, things we can already do, oh and buy stuff from a npc, how original. The Spice festival is pretty much just buying and eating food and I bet the romance festival will just be about flirting, I'm pretty sure the romance guru will have no impact in the game, even if he says you won't find love anytime soon how much you bet you can get a date right away and get marry the same night? So what will the guru really do? Affect your mood by giving ''fake'' good or bad news?

The lot traits are maybe a new system, true, but honestly we already have 500 ways to change our sims' moods, did we really need an other way to do it? And the lot traits that look interesting sounds like they won't do much, like the earthquake one, will it break stuff in your apart or maybe even hurt/kill sims or again it will just give a bad mood to your sims if they experience it? (pretty sure it's just about the mood once again and that it won't affect the game other than that)

We get one skill which is singing (basketball is tied to the fitness skill), I'm not saying it shouldn't be in the game, but honestly it's not the most useful skill, you can't even use it in a career (I doubt you need it to be a politician, critic or social media), but it can be used to affect other sims mood (yup AGAIN, not like we had already 500 ways to do it), one new aspiration that looks like a mix of the social aspirations we already have and two traits that honestly doesn't fit City Living and should be added in the base game in a patch. There so many other traits that would have fit way better, like Diva, it would have fit the City Ling theme way much more than vegetarian (not saying vegetarian is a bad trait, but honestly adding it in the base game would have been fine).

So what's really new and original in that expansion pack? What's something we can say we never saw and will add real gameplay? Nothing, but the OP is right, people will buy it no matter what. People won't buy it cause it's an amazing pack, people will buy it cause they are desperate for more content and it's the third expansion pack in two years, the pack could have been anything else and people would have bought it just to get more content, without realizing that's it's empty content and worse than that people started to pre-order it without even knowing what was in the pack exactly.

It's just sad, cause I'm sure a lot people will buy it just cause it's a ''new'' expansion pack, while it's not even anything they really wanted for the game.

Will you have the same opinion if we get Generations,Pets or Seasons? Because those aren't new to the series either.

City Living is supposed to be new, but offer old stuff (from the previous games and the base game), a lot of people compare it to Late Night, but way less content, my issue is not that it's just old stuff cause it was in the Sims 3, it's that a lot of stuff are already in the base game as well, the humour festival is basically you drink tea, and then do mischievous actions over and over again, that's something already in game, beside snow globes and a talking toilet there's nothing I can say is new in City Living.

So to answer your question if they would be doing those 3 packs and do it the same exact way than in the Sims 3 yes I would have the same opinion, the point of a new game shouldn't be to be an exact copy of the previous games, keep the best from those older features, but add new ones too and not something from the base game.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member

I like the map. I hope they do something like this every time. Was it just me, or did it seem bigger all laid out like that?
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

I like the map. I hope they do something like this every time. Was it just me, or did it seem bigger all laid out like that?

I was actually surprised at how small it seemed. I thought it was larger.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
    One thing that I have noticed about CL is how big the city world looked in the live broadcasts, promo trailers, and screenshots. But the city looks incredibly small in map view.
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

I was actually surprised at how small it seemed. I thought it was larger.

They changed for the online view. It's way different from the actual in-game map.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png

City Living is supposed to be new, but offer old stuff (from the previous games and the base game), a lot of people compare it to Late Night, but way less content, my issue is not that it's just old stuff cause it was in the Sims 3, it's that a lot of stuff are already in the base game as well, the humour festival is basically you drink tea, and then do mischievous actions over and over again, that's something already in game, beside snow globes and a talking toilet there's nothing I can say is new in City Living.

So to answer your question if they would be doing those 3 packs and do it the same exact way than in the Sims 3 yes I would have the same opinion, the point of a new game shouldn't be to be an exact copy of the previous games, keep the best from those older features, but add new ones too and not something from the base game.

What do you mean "it's supposed to be new?" Did they advertise every single thing in this pack as "completely new?" Or did they promise this at some point a while ago? And shouldn't packs use the BG features if available, since they need to enhance those as well, and not just completely leave them untouched for the rest of the lifespan?

And the reason people are comparing it to Late Night is, of course, both of them are packs in cities! Why wouldn't they? That's a fun pastime of people on here. And I've seen people who were saying the CL is Late Night but with actual refined content, saying that, while Late Night had a lot of features, they were not pulled off well at all (e.g. Celebrity System, Actual worse apartments than ones in CL, dead "hotspots," etc.)
    xyIcMqt.png
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member

What do you mean "it's supposed to be new?" Did they advertise every single thing in this pack as "completely new?" Or did they promise this at some point a while ago? And shouldn't packs use the BG features if available, since they need to enhance those as well, and not just completely leave them untouched for the rest of the lifespan?

And the reason people are comparing it to Late Night is, of course, both of them are packs in cities! Why wouldn't they? That's a fun pastime of people on here. And I've seen people who were saying the CL is Late Night but with actual refined content, saying that, while Late Night had a lot of features, they were not pulled off well at all (e.g. Celebrity System, Actual worse apartments than ones in CL, dead "hotspots," etc.)

I would expect something new more than just snow globes and a talking toilet and the rest being recycle from the base game or previous games.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    And I've seen people who were saying the CL is Late Night but with actual refined content

What refined content?
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"