Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[BETA] The Sims 4 History Challenge

Comments

• SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
    Rudiarose wrote: »
    There is a bush you can get to use the bathroom in but it cost a lot. You would think it should be cheaper then a regular toilette.

The bushes from Get Together do cost more than a toilet, but it's actually cheaper when you factor in costs to build a little outhouse, wall paints, a door, etc. Remember that you can also use the bushes as a bed and a woohoo location, so really the bushes are far more cost-effective than a toilet.
    Playing the History Challenge? Make sure you have the up-to-date rules here!
  • MeeshelbyMeeshelby Posts: 1,914 Member
    Snowie wrote: »
    @Meeshelby @kristinepunktum
    I think the issue (at least what I experienced) was that the Sims were so hungry, they didn't register roasting a fish as a hunger-solving action, and would therefore stand up to roast a hot dog instead. Once your Sims start roasting a fish, the fish is removed from their inventory. You won't get it back even if you cancel the action, so you have to keep an eye on them once you tell them to cook the fish to make sure they're not cancelling it to do anything else.

I always tried to adapt when they decided to quit roasting their fish, and have them eat some plants instead. But if I didn't have anything for them to eat, I would let them have a hot dog/veggie dog. This is really okay because the idea was that your prehistoric Sims can't have "free" food that they just magically pulled out of their animal skin pockets. Since you already "paid" a fish for their dinner, then the game decided that they weren't having fish for dinner, that's not really your fault. Giving them a hot dog is better than letting them starve because the game is just being silly.

Not the solution you were hoping for I'm sure, but that's just how I handled similar situations when I played. Hope this helped, happy Simming!

Thanks for the input! Unfortunately I can't even get them to roast a hot dog or marshmallows. The same thing happens! So I'm going to try removing that mod and see what happens.
  • kristinepunktumkristinepunktum Posts: 166 Member
    @Meeshelby @kristinepunktum
    I think the issue (at least what I experienced) was that the Sims were so hungry, they didn't register roasting a fish as a hunger-solving action, and would therefore stand up to roast a hot dog instead. Once your Sims start roasting a fish, the fish is removed from their inventory. You won't get it back even if you cancel the action, so you have to keep an eye on them once you tell them to cook the fish to make sure they're not cancelling it to do anything else.

I always tried to adapt when they decided to quit roasting their fish, and have them eat some plants instead. But if I didn't have anything for them to eat, I would let them have a hot dog/veggie dog. This is really okay because the idea was that your prehistoric Sims can't have "free" food that they just magically pulled out of their animal skin pockets. Since you already "paid" a fish for their dinner, then the game decided that they weren't having fish for dinner, that's not really your fault. Giving them a hot dog is better than letting them starve because the game is just being silly.

Not the solution you were hoping for I'm sure, but that's just how I handled similar situations when I played. Hope this helped, happy Simming!

Yeah, I noticed that the fish went away, but when I got rid of the Mod I just had to supervise them so they didn't stuff their faces with marshmallows, basically. So if I just pay attention, it's actually working with fish now! Thanks for your suggestion! I have them eat plants and produce now too - since the rules now state that the plants and stuff don't count towards money making.
    My Youtube Channel
    Current challenges: The History Challenge, the 10 Baby Mama Challenge (Sims 3) and of course; The Legacy Challenge.

kEVfgAW.jpg
    Meeshelby wrote: »
    Meeshelby wrote: »
    @Sarahkay Thanks for the input! I checked it out and that's not the problem with mine :( I wish it were! I even bought a 2nd fire pit to see if that would fix it. I also tried to roast other things on the fire and the same thing happens :(

Having the same problem here! Very annoying, but for me it was the mod that stopped them from autonomously roasting hot dogs and marshmallows that fixed it, however. I haven't done this LP in 7 months because I had IRL things (just got married) so when I came back the game was patched and the Mod was no longer usable. Sigh.

Ooooh I forgot I downloaded that mod, I'll delete it and see if that helps! Congrats on getting married ;)

I hope it solves your problem, it did for me! And thank you! :smile: You just have to be careful not to click on the fun-bar, because the kids will start roasting marshmallows if you do.
    My Youtube Channel
    Current challenges: The History Challenge, the 10 Baby Mama Challenge (Sims 3) and of course; The Legacy Challenge.

kEVfgAW.jpg
  • EGrace93EGrace93 Posts: 95 Member

*Middle Ages
    My suggestion is you split this Era in two: Middle Ages (Based on Europe, 400-1450 approx.) and Modern Period/Age of Discovery (Based on Europe 1450-1700 approx.)

For the Middle Ages, you should keep in mind that these are considered the "Dark Ages" for the Arts, since they were much controlled by the Catholic Church. IMO, Sims should be allowed to earn money from music tips but not to license songs. Licesing songs is means jointing the music to an Author and that is more of a Modern Period where art is turned more into a business like other activities. Most art pieces of Middle Age are Annonymous.

As in for romance, lovers during the Middle Ages were censored, again, by the Catholic Church. As were same-sex relationships. Contraception methods were not allowed. All these things I mentioned were, of course, done anyways. But the rule was not to and the challenge becomes more interesting when following the Eras cannonical rules. I suggest also having Female Sims to only ever kiss their future husband and maybe marrying a YA Female to an Adult or Elder Male.

I have to say I really disagree with some of these suggestions, while agreeing with others. When it comes to the age of marriage it really does depend on what social group you're playing as. For lower class medieval people the avarage age of marriage was late teens to early twenties with women marrying slightly younger than men but the age gaps were pretty much the same as our modern ones. For nobles it changes because marriages were motivated by politics rather than love but there's no reason for every match to be YA female - Adult/Elder male (in fact you could even have the woman be older as that did sometimes happen).

Also while pre-marital sex was technically illegal medieval definitions differed from ours. An engaged couple having sex was perfectly acceptable and they might be considered married afterwards. The church didn't really interest itself in marriage until later in the period, couples could and did get married anywhere and the method could be as simple as them both declaring their intention to marry or the woman accepting a ring from the man. In fact, the biggest way the early medieval church got involved was sorting out who was and who wasn't married to each other. Anyway this has all been a rather long and roundabout way of saying medieval people were by no means prudes, go ahead and do what you like with your future husband.

I could rant about how the term 'Dark Ages' is stupid and innaccurate and made up by rennaaisence people to make themselves look better but that would be completely irrelevant so I won't

@Cloudseeker I'd also really like to bring up the issue of women marrying their brothers-in-law again. In the middle ages this was actually illegal because it was considered to be incest so I really think this rule should be changed.
  • CloudseekerCloudseeker Posts: 353 Member
    @BarbieByMattel @EGrace93 Thank you for all your input and suggestions. I have noted some of them in my update notes document (which is getting rather large, I really need to get back to this soon, but I have so many other projects that take precedence :s).
    34in38k.png
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    Just want to imform you one of the mods hasn't been update for a while (Teen careers for adults) so it can't be used for this changelle.
    6adMCGP.gif
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Just want to imform you one of the mods hasn't been update for a while (Teen careers for adults) so it can't be used for this changelle.

Thank you for letting us know! Do you mind posting here again when your mod is updated? It's a central mod to this challenge's playstyle :)

Thank you for letting us know! Do you mind posting here again when your mod is updated? It's a central mod to this challenge's playstyle :)

I'm afraid it will never be updated since the creator "left" and supposedly has quit modding..
    6adMCGP.gif
    I'm afraid it will never be updated since the creator "left" and supposedly has quit modding..

Oh, how unfortunate. Perhaps @Cloudseeker will make note of this in his history challenge update document. Thank you for letting us know!
  • Niemalyn97Niemalyn97 Posts: 76 Member
    This looks like such an interesting challenge. ^.^ I think I might do it.
  • EGrace93EGrace93 Posts: 95 Member
    I have story progression on with mc command centre which is normally great but it did kind of backfire on me when one of my sims who I'd moved out married her half-sister's father :#:D Just wanted to share
    @MadameLee @Snowie Good to know. I'll note that it is outdated, and try to remind myself to see if there is a replacement mod somewhere :)
    34in38k.png
    This challenge has been really hard - but then again I've failed so miserably at it so it might just be that. But in the prehistoric era, it's SO difficult to get romantic because their needs are always low. Also the mod that allows no autonomous roasting of anything doesn't work any more and was last updated a year ago, so.. Yeah. I am at episode 12 (my episodes tend to last 20-25 minutes), and I'm just now getting on to the early civilization.

How are you planning on doing this with City Living and lot-traits, though?
    My Youtube Channel

kEVfgAW.jpg
    This challenge has been really hard - but then again I've failed so miserably at it so it might just be that. But in the prehistoric era, it's SO difficult to get romantic because their needs are always low. Also the mod that allows no autonomous roasting of anything doesn't work any more and was last updated a year ago, so.. Yeah. I am at episode 12 (my episodes tend to last 20-25 minutes), and I'm just now getting on to the early civilization.

I found that making a nice lot for you to take your male ancestor to... woo the ladies... works well as you can decorate it with lots of plants and a pool/bush to handle all your needs while you're there. Getting five sims pregnant was always the most difficult part in my experience, but once I got them in the mood I didn't take any chances and had them try for baby at least three times before leaving, lol :p Remember that when you leave your family on one lot while you follow another sim, the other family members will "magically" take care of themselves. I found this rather useful when I got to the anglerfish grind.

As far as the roasting goes, I hope that the mod author updates it soon but until then my suggestion is to micro-manage your Sims and keep a close eye on them to make sure they don't roast anything but fish ;)

@Cloudseeker has said numerous times that he's super busy with other projects, so this challenge likely won't get an official update for a while. Until then, I would recommend you just do what makes sense for the era you're in and doesn't make the challenge too easy :)

I found that making a nice lot for you to take your male ancestor to... woo the ladies... works well as you can decorate it with lots of plants and a pool/bush to handle all your needs while you're there. Getting five sims pregnant was always the most difficult part in my experience, but once I got them in the mood I didn't take any chances and had them try for baby at least three times before leaving, lol :p Remember that when you leave your family on one lot while you follow another sim, the other family members will "magically" take care of themselves. I found this rather useful when I got to the anglerfish grind.

As far as the roasting goes, I hope that the mod author updates it soon but until then my suggestion is to micro-manage your Sims and keep a close eye on them to make sure they don't roast anything but fish ;)

@Cloudseeker has said numerous times that he's super busy with other projects, so this challenge likely won't get an official update for a while. Until then, I would recommend you just do what makes sense for the era you're in and doesn't make the challenge too easy :)

Oooh I never thought of making a nice lot for the sims to woo the ladies/men. Generation 0 had two kids, the woman had multiple partners because I figured - why not. And I also had a new member join the "tribe" so generation 2 is on its way. I did mess up sometimes and sold a few paintings, but I figure I didn't make a lot. It's hard making money in the early civilization, though. But it's an awesome challenge and I love recording it!
    My Youtube Channel

kEVfgAW.jpg
    Oooh I never thought of making a nice lot for the sims to woo the ladies/men. Generation 0 had two kids, the woman had multiple partners because I figured - why not. And I also had a new member join the "tribe" so generation 2 is on its way. I did mess up sometimes and sold a few paintings, but I figure I didn't make a lot. It's hard making money in the early civilization, though. But it's an awesome challenge and I love recording it!

Lol yeah, I always took them to the neighborhood watering hole :p which is why my latest watering hole on the gallery has a couple bushes for woohooing ;)

Also, you are allowed to sell paintings at any time, you just can't count them toward the prehistoric era's money goal :)
  • LiliskaLiliska Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello, can I translate you challenge to my native language? I really want to play your challenge with my friends and colleague in Czech Republic, but many of them don´t understand to english....
    Thank you very much. :smile:
  • fabtiffsimfabtiffsim Posts: 1,008 Member
    What's the furthest anyone has made it? I see a lot of prehistory generations but I don't usually see too far past that. Just curious cause I really like the idea of this challenge! Mine doesn't follow the rules but I'm going to take inspiration from the different eras!
    fabtiffsim wrote: »
    What's the furthest anyone has made it? I see a lot of prehistory generations but I don't usually see too far past that. Just curious cause I really like the idea of this challenge! Mine doesn't follow the rules but I'm going to take inspiration from the different eras!

I've gotten into Early Civilization, but I'm generally bad about committing to one game for a while and am currently on a Sims 4 hiatus--rather indefinitely.
  • Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member

I'm on the 3rd gen right now - I added in a few of my own making and I'm not playing 100% to the rules. My third era is a boho traveler era that has Indian influences. I've kind of mixed in some other cultures into my eras so I have more to work with in terms of decor and clothing (like my early civilization era had Asian influences and etc)
    Liliska wrote: »
    Hello, can I translate you challenge to my native language? I really want to play your challenge with my friends and colleague in Czech Republic, but many of them don´t understand to english....
    Thank you very much. :smile:

Sure, you can translate all you want :) Just make sure to have a link to this thread if you post your translation online somewhere :)
    34in38k.png
  • KingUnknown10KingUnknown10 Posts: 73 Member

I'm currently in The Middle Ages era and soon heading into the Old West era
    @Cloudseeker just thought you wanted to know but someone has updated the Teen mod and it appears to work-I just tested it today. It's the last comment I think on the mod area where the oringal mod was on MTS
    6adMCGP.gif
  • KingUnknown10KingUnknown10 Posts: 73 Member
    @Cloudseeker (If needed) will you be updating the challenge to compensate toddlers and the new items that come with them?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top