Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is my fear anything to worry about?

Dartpaw86Dartpaw86 Posts: 68 Member
I'm afraid that a few years down the road, EA will shut down the Sims 3 store completely. You know how companies are all about "moving forward" and such. If I ever had to replace my computer I'd lose all my DLC forever :open_mouth:

My only comfort to fight this paranoia is the fact that the store is actually built into the game itself.
Post edited by Dartpaw86 on

Comments

• RockleyfamilyRockleyfamily Posts: 5,730 Member
    I'd say eventually it will shut down, in the same way they closed the sims 1 and sims 2 websites and moved the sims3 forum over to this site. I can't see it happening for a while yet though, not while it's still making them money. There'll also be notice in advance of it closing so it won't suddenly disappear.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    Don't worry. If they do close down the store they will have to honour the fact that you have paid for the DLC and lift the restrictions on bona fide users. Maybe, eventually, EA will do what they did with Sims2 and allow a download of everything through Origin or issue a once for all complete download for a nominal sum. Hopefully getting rid of the Download manager mess in the process.
  • HoplassHoplass Posts: 369 Member
    edited October 2016
    There is also a way to backup your store files. I've never tried but you can find more information on it on the forums, this may be helpful?
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14408060/#Comment_14408060
  • dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    I keep all my store content backed up on my OneDrive (I got 1 TB for free so I store pretty much everything there). I also have a paranoia for these kind of stuff. :)
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,280 Member
    If you do a backup of everything you brought from the store, you won't lose it forever if the store closes. I did a backup of my store stuff last year and it's a good thing that I did because my hard drive died on me and it made it easier to install my stuff back into my game. I would suggest backing up your store stuff every once in awhile as you may be gifted somethings or buy some things after doing a backup... :)
  • Dartpaw86Dartpaw86 Posts: 68 Member
    edited October 2016
    Thanks :smile: but then again, is it even costing them anything to keep the store up and running?

I mean, the online store for The Wii is still functional despite the system being quite old and will be two gens old once the "Nintendo Switch" is released next year, even moreso when the Wii lost it's online functionality, Nintendo made an exception for the shop and kept it running regardless. So... there's still hope that EA will just leave the Sims 3 store running as well?
  • AuraKnightAuraKnight Posts: 115 Member
    There is always a cost to keep a server running and pay someone to maintain it. And even if clickbait revenue and cash sales are still covering that, there is the question of whether better return from those resources will be had by moving them over to other products.

As others have suggested, it might just be a temporary thing that they have no time to work on it because of other things at the moment.
  • SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    I strongly suggest backing up your Store stuff and Custom Content (if any). In Windows 7 you go to the C:/ Users/ <your name>/ Documents/ Electronic Arts/ The Sims 3 folder and make back-up copies of the following sub-folders:

- Collections (if you have made any or downloaded any collections - otherwise this folder will be empty)
    - DCCache (THIS IS YOUR STORE STUFF! Make a back-up copy!)
    - Installed Worlds (this folder holds all Store and CC world files)
    - Library (this isn't a requirement, it just holds copies of all the families, residential and community lots that you have in your catalog when you start a new game or go into Edit Town)
    - Mods (you MUST back this file up if you have any Custom Content! If You do not use CC, then this folder won't even exist)
    - Saves (I back this folder up regularly - like every month - so that if something happens to my game I won't actually lose the game I am playing)

Most other versions of Windows will have a similar location for your game files.

The truth is that eventually The Sims 3 site will be shut down - just as The Sims 1 and The Sims 2 sites were eventually shut down. The Sims 3 Store will disappear forever. So make a back-up of your important files and save them on a CD or (better) a DVD disk. Then you will always have everything you need to enjoy your TS3 game.

And even if The Store doesn't close down any time soon, it is an incredible pain to re-download everything from The Store if you move to a new computer or if something bad happens to your game/ hard-drive/ computer that requires you to do a complete re-install. (Believe me, I know, because this has happened to me at least four times!) But with a back-up of your DCcache Folder you won't *HAVE* to re-download everything from the store - you can just copy and paste it back into you new/ fixed game/ system.
  • Bily_jednorozecBily_jednorozec Posts: 1,574 Member
    edited December 2016
    Dartpaw86 wrote: »
    I'm afraid that a few years down the road, EA will shut down the Sims 3 store completely. You know how companies are all about "moving forward" and such. If I ever had to replace my computer I'd lose all my DLC forever :open_mouth:

My only comfort to fight this paranoia is the fact that the store is actually built into the game itself.

Yes, this is my paranoia too. Store site isn't functioning well for me in last days: sometimes login problems, sometimes uncomplete "Items included" listing on Store pages (where should be more than 20 items, I see 2 items only) and now as a cherry on the cake - it wanted 3 attempts until that site decided to give me screen, that certain person will receive gift via e-mail (till today 504 error). Store is turned to offer me too all those versions of elder hair, what I've purchased in past individually and I've had "Reccomended for you" tab empty (disappeared) for years. I haven't had all those issues before.
    I wanted to gift gold world, but it token simpoints only for standard version (just sended that person screenshots of my attempts).
    Yes, store content is enchanted in game, I just wish that @MrHawk turns to us, because he probably knows more about it. Here finishes his topic about: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13791754/#Comment_13791754 . (Oh, God, how I'm missing him in TS3 section, he was really a lifesaver and I've learned from him so much! :heartbreak: )
    "My Studio" on thesims3.com "My Blog" on thesims3.com
    Sorry for editing my comments frequently, in most cases I'm doing this due language issues (english isn't my native language, but I'm using english, because most used by people, with who I want to communicate).
  • Dartpaw86Dartpaw86 Posts: 68 Member
    edited February 2017
    What about transferring it to a data traveler?

Also what are the chances, that EA will update Origin to be able download the Sims 3 DLC onto that instead? I can actually see that happening. Sure, EA seems to have left that store for dead, but when the time rolls around to axe it, I can't imagine they won't think of this.
  • NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    For this same fear I back up all my purchases in an external hard drive. If they shut the store down I'll still be able to put the files in the downloads folder and install them again.
  • EyeofShaktiEyeofShakti Posts: 304 Member
    I also backed up my purchases on a USB drive. I will be sad once sims 3 is gone like sims 1 and 2 though. I still enjoy sims 3 more than sims 4! Also, anyone know how I can become a member and not a new member?
    25up6pu.jpg
  • GyreboxGyrebox Posts: 29 New Member
    I have not completed the store myself. I just hope that people with an excess of points gift out to people so we can download everything before it may close.
  • LillaGrisenLillaGrisen Posts: 510 Member
    @Gyrebox Have you heard of the the Daily Deal-thread and the Gifting Directory? The first one has a lot of information on how to become a proper DD-stalker and will propably help you save you a bunch of sp, not to mention the people there are both incredibly friendly and helpful. The Gifting Directory is a thread where you basically post your top 5 most desired items as well as your wishlist and this way people who have sp to spare can help you on your way to own the Store. They are awesome people with generous hearts who are more than willing to help you with your CYS on different sets.
    Don't worry about it ;)