Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pagoda roofs and basements, without needing to purchase the entire game??

Hi Simmers!

The release of The Sims 3 World Adventures is quickly approaching! So we wanted to take a moment to let you know about a Game Update to The Sims 3 that will be available globally from November 17th and give information on future Game Updates we’ll be working on for you.

The Sims 3 is constantly evolving and the development team is always working to provide necessary upgrades to your games. These could include updates due to driver or software changes we want to support, or it can mean full new features for you to enjoy! Game Updates can also provide you with the newest game code to ensure that you can properly use any official content you have downloaded and that you can continue to share the content you have created online.

Different from previous The Sims titles, Game Updates can contain full new features. For example, from November 17th there will be an update available to you even if you only own The Sims 3. When you update your game, you will get to select new features made available from The Sims 3 World Adventures such as pagoda roofs and basements, without needing to purchase the entire game. Keeping your game up to date will make it easier to continue sharing your content and creations with everyone.

Game Updates can come at any time and may contain whole new features, enhancements to existing features, new features available on the store or exchange – really they could be anything. When we release a Game Update we will continue to inform you of the content it will contain. You will know when there is an update available by checking the Game Updates button in the Game Launcher screen. You can set these Game Updates to be automatically installed or manually controlled through the Game Launcher.

Stay tuned for specific details on the Game Update coming from November 17th including everything it will provide.

Thanks.
The Sims 3 Development Team

source: http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/sims-3/851813-game-updates-you.html

Comments

• gobot1236gobot1236 Posts: 569 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Haha, EA has just killed some sales on WA. I know there are several people who wanted to get the game only for basements.
  • Panther00567Panther00567 Posts: 2,704 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Well, that's awfully nice of them. Unless of course they charge like $40 just for those few features, then it's kind of a dumb offer... lol.

Regardless, I'm getting the whole darn EP cause I LOVE travel and geography and stuff! :mrgreen:
  • AlrynnAlrynn Posts: 44 Member
    edited November 2009
    WOW! :shock: That sounds very cool and promising :mrgreen: Thank you for the info!
  • doodlesamdoodlesam Posts: 6,365 New Member
    edited November 2009
    gobot1236 wrote:
    Haha, EA has just killed some sales on WA. I know there are several people who wanted to get the game only for basements.

Ha! They have actuelly. Even though its good that they're being generous (Assuming these updates are free) But you won't believe the amount of people I have heard saying they are only buying it for basements and new roofs etc. :P
    edited November 2009
    The updates have to be free, I don't think they could get away with charging for patches.

I can't wait though to see what other things they can add, because they will be able to add new gameplay features in between EPs, so it could really keep the game fresh.
  • GreatWallStrGreatWallStr Posts: 1,688 New Member
    edited November 2009
    trust me, this is a smart move-- they're giving people more incentive to buy sims 3. :D
    edited November 2009
    Yes, incentive to buy the base game, but it will make people not buy the EP. There are many people who have said they are only getting the EP for basements, well now they don't have to get the game, it will be in a free download.

When there are features like this in EPs that people may want, but don't want the entire EP, doing this makes it so EA will end up getting less money.
    edited November 2009
    gobot1236 wrote:
    Yes, incentive to buy the base game, but it will make people not buy the EP. There are many people who have said they are only getting the EP for basements, well now they don't have to get the game, it will be in a free download.

When there are features like this in EPs that people may want, but don't want the entire EP, doing this makes it so EA will end up getting less money.

I suppose it really only could mean one of 5 things:

1. They want to give more incentive for people to buy Sims 3.

2. They want to be nice and give it out so that even people who don't want the whole EP can have little bits to enjoy.

3. They want to give people a small taste of World Adventures, so that they will want the rest of the features as well.

4. They planned on having basements and roof customization since the beginning of Sims 3, and were going to release this feature anyway.

5. They will release small features with every EP they create.
    edited November 2009
    I'm thinking 3 may be most likely, show people a small bit of something and make them want more. But it could also be any of the 5 or a combination of them, who knows how EA thinks.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited November 2009
    gobot1236 wrote:

I doubt it. It wouldn't surprise me if most of the naysayers will end up getting the EP eventually. There hasn't been one EP that hasn't added something I value and contributed overall to my TS2 game. I couldn't imagine being limited to only Sunset Valley or Riverview for another six months without something new to do or new content.

I think it's a good move on EA's part anyway for giving people incentive to buy the game instead of pirate it.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • NicMaccNicMacc Posts: 151 New Member
    edited November 2009
    I think theres another issue here which explains adding these features to the patch. If Basements etc were limited to WA only, what effect would this have on the exchange? Would downloads be split into WA/Base Game only?

Exchange downloads have had no limitations so far in terms of store content. When i download a house with a chair i havn't paid for...i don't get the chair, but i still get the house! I wouldn't want my lot downloads limited because those lots didn't use a foundation to create a basement.

This move keeps the exchange open to all who have the base game. Brilliant in my opinion :)

If this patch includes customisable fences/stairs, i'd be giddy to the point of wetting myself :P
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited November 2009
    That is a very interesting piece of news Hiki! Thanks for posting! I have pre-ordered World Adventures already and so I expect to find those stuff in the game already but it is an interesting deal for people who do not want to buy this ep for whatever reason! Very decent of EA I must say! :-)
    edited November 2009
    NicMacc wrote:
    I think theres another issue here which explains adding these features to the patch. If Basements etc were limited to WA only, what effect would this have on the exchange? Would downloads be split into WA/Base Game only?

Exchange downloads have had no limitations so far in terms of store content. When i download a house with a chair i havn't paid for...i don't get the chair, but i still get the house! I wouldn't want my lot downloads limited because those lots didn't use a foundation to create a basement.

This move keeps the exchange open to all who have the base game. Brilliant in my opinion :)

If this patch includes customisable fences/stairs, i'd be giddy to the point of wetting myself :P

No, that's not necessarily it. They said that in the Create-A-World, if you put things in that are unique to Expansion Packs (such as the Eiffel Tower), the game is smart-- it will replace it with something generic. Granted, there is nothing generic for basements, but roofs can be replaced. :D
    edited November 2009
    CK213, there are a lot of people who just don't like the idea of WA, so they won't get it. And just because you feel every EP added something to the over all game, and you can't imagine being limited to just the base game (as of next month people won't be limited to just Sunset Valley and Riverview because of the CAW tool), doesn't mean everyone feels that way. There are people out there, not many mind you, but they are still there, that only have The Sims 2 base game and are happy with that.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited November 2009
    I can't see this killing sales. It may be a new concept for the Sims' titles, but it shows good form.

Plus, this quote may be the main reason why they're doing it, and they made it this way on purpose to actually increase sales in a savvy way:
    Keeping your game up to date will make it easier to continue sharing your content and creations with everyone.

This method is like dangling a carrot in front of the mule to get it moving, or leaving a trail of candy (tasters, if you will) to entice the desired results by encouraging people to buy the whole box (EP) with the expectation that even more tasty goodness will satiate their taste buds rather than the few small crumbs that have been scattered to the wind for their fallacious benefit, here and there.

It’s highly possible that EA knows objects alone aren't enough to truly enhance the game, nor will objects and new materials make it any more interesting to those who are already bored with it. Small patches will not fill this void either, since they are mainly small corrections and slight teasers if given the chance. The actual gameplay enhancements that complement those new objects, new abilities and interactions, etc... are what a new EP should deliver – the revival of the game with new gameplay, is what the EP should be about.

As long as EA delivers in the latter, along with new objects of course, they will most likely not lose any sales from those who've adapted well to TS3 and want more out of it. As for those who didn't adapt well though... well, they were already lost.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5