Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

the worst thing about City Living - it will sell like hot cakes

Comments

• papersuitcasepapersuitcase Posts: 838 Member
    I see the gender patch for what it was: a marketing tool in the midst of transgendered bathroom controversy. It was poorly implemented and frankly, if I was a member of the trans community I would be insulted by the obviously meaningless pandering it entails. But that's neither here or there. I know a lot of people like the options and there are easy enough for me to avoid.

I do however wish people would stop calling those opposed to it "bigoted". I thought name calling was against the rules? Not everyone is going to agree with your life style, and they are well within their rights to express concerns about additions to a video game without being insulted. Mods are the letting this happen why?

Inclusion is important, and I think that family players would like some too. I think that is what all the heat is about. People might have been a bit surprised to see trans sims before toddlers. Basic life states being looked over for an obvious pandering to the trans community might not sit well with people who are waiting for more meaningful family play. Yes, it's great that you can now make your trans sims, but I still can't make my niece. Someone else can't make their toddler daughter, etc. If this gender patch were a sincere addition to the sims game then I might see it differently, but I don't think that it was.
  • simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    This thread went off the rails nicely. But it is unfortunate that so many pre-orders will keep EA nice and complacent about the future.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Neia wrote: »
    I find it odd when people gives a number of features as an indication of the quality of the game. Because let's face it, how many people on this forum would be happy if culling was gone ? If TS5 is exactly TS4 without culling, according to some people in this thread, it would be objectively smaller than TS4 because it has less features, but would it be worse for you ? (For me, it would because I like culling, but we won't all have the same anwser). Would it be worrying ?
    I was just thinking that too, culling is something that I can agree on with many people of not liking. I guess in the Sims community it is possible to find common ground with other Simmers and not liking culling and relationship culling is one of those areas.

I am yet to see anyone say that they agree with culling in the game and if anyone does say it, I won't believe them anyway.

Who plays The Sims just to see them get culled anyway? :no_mouth:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited October 2016
    I am yet to see anyone say that they agree with culling in the game and if anyone does say it, I won't believe them anyway.

I have seen people say that they like relationship decay and culling. "It allows me to see a sim as my friend one day and as an enemy the next time I play that family!", "sometimes I meet too many people and it helps keep my relationship panel focused on important sims only". I swear, sometimes I see defensive statements that legitimately make me think that the person is trolling.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I find it odd when people gives a number of features as an indication of the quality of the game. Because let's face it, how many people on this forum would be happy if culling was gone ? If TS5 is exactly TS4 without culling, according to some people in this thread, it would be objectively smaller than TS4 because it has less features, but would it be worse for you ? (For me, it would because I like culling, but we won't all have the same anwser). Would it be worrying ?
    I was just thinking that too, culling is something that I can agree on with many people of not liking. I guess in the Sims community it is possible to find common ground with other Simmers and not liking culling and relationship culling is one of those areas.

I've seen more than one poster say they like culling.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I assure you I'm serious about liking culling. I have absolutely no problem using mod, I'm making mods, but I have removed the no culling and no relationship culling mods from my folder because I prefer the game that way. They have tweaked both cullings, and while I didn't like them at launch, I now do.
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    edited October 2016
    I assure you I'm serious about liking culling. I have absolutely no problem using mod, I'm making mods, but I have removed the no culling and no relationship culling mods from my folder because I prefer the game that way. They have tweaked both cullings, and while I didn't like them at launch, I now do.

How? Like I'm legit curious, make a new sim living next to the Pancakes family and tell me that you enjoy having to befriend them over and over again each time you play, that just doesn't make sense. It's not even realistic, do you always keep introducing yourself to your neighbors everyday? No, after one time they know who you are, they don't wake up the next morning and see you and think ''who is this guy?''.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member

^This guy gonna be crossing his fingers when he hits 60 that he gets Alzheimer's, no joke. :D
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »

I have seen people say that they like relationship decay and culling. "It allows me to see a sim as my friend one day and as an enemy the next time I play that family!", "sometimes I meet too many people and it helps keep my relationship panel focused on important sims only". I swear, sometimes I see defensive statements that legitimately make me think that the person is trolling.

Yes I didn't want to say trolling as I didn't want to offend anyone but it makes me laugh that some players go to great lengths to defend TS4 only to criticise it later and if that fails, they put down TS3. That dosnt work on me.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited October 2016
    MissCherie wrote: »

How? Like I'm legit curious, make a new sim living next to the Pancakes family and tell me that you enjoy having to befriend them over and over again each time you play, that just doesn't make sense. It's not even realistic, do you always keep introducing yourself to your neighbors everyday? No, after one time they know who you are, they don't wake up the next morning and see you and think ''who is this guy?''.

From what @Neia has said, the relationship decay and culling had a significant tweak lately, one that those of us modding it won't have noticed. Check out this topic: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/902750/has-relationship-decay-been-fixed I'm pretty close to being able to remove my modding of the relationship decay and culling from two of my saves, ones that I don't remove Sim culling on already. The other save is a bit more complicated in how I play it.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited October 2016
    I see the gender patch for what it was: a marketing tool in the midst of transgendered bathroom controversy. It was poorly implemented and frankly, if I was a member of the trans community I would be insulted by the obviously meaningless pandering it entails. But that's neither here or there. I know a lot of people like the options and there are easy enough for me to avoid.

I do however wish people would stop calling those opposed to it "bigoted". I thought name calling was against the rules? Not everyone is going to agree with your life style, and they are well within their rights to express concerns about additions to a video game without being insulted. Mods are the letting this happen why?

Inclusion is important, and I think that family players would like some too. I think that is what all the heat is about. People might have been a bit surprised to see trans sims before toddlers. Basic life states being looked over for an obvious pandering to the trans community might not sit well with people who are waiting for more meaningful family play. Yes, it's great that you can now make your trans sims, but I still can't make my niece. Someone else can't make their toddler daughter, etc. If this gender patch were a sincere addition to the sims game then I might see it differently, but I don't think that it was.

If someone thought homosexuality was wrong and shouldn't be in the Sims, you'd be well within your right to call them a bigot, because that is exactly what they would be. There isn't much else to it. What you're saying is no different to saying that people should be allowed to be racist because that's their opinion - fine, but expect a big backlash for publicly expressing those opinions. I am generally content that such people don't feel confident enough to openly admit they feel that way - the world is a better place for it.
    edited October 2016
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    If someone thought homosexuality was wrong and shouldn't be in the Sims, you'd be well within your right to call them a bigot, because that is exactly what they would be. There isn't much else to it. What you're saying is no different to saying that people should be allowed to be racist because that's their opinion - fine, but expect a big backlash for publicly expressing those opinions. I am generally content that such people don't feel confident enough to openly admit they feel that way - the world is a better place for it.

I can be completely fine with what people do with themselves and their partners behind close doors, yet still have a say in what kind of entertainment I surround myself with. If I choose not to watch films about lesbians and gays for example, that does not make me a bigot. Same as I won't call you a bigot if you decided to never watch a single movie with a straight person in it. It's called personal taste. And when it's a game that has already been out for 2 years and we're all forced to take the update, then I think, at the very least, people should be allowed to complain without being bullied, name called and censored.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member

If someone thought homosexuality was wrong and shouldn't be in the Sims, you'd be well within your right to call them a bigot, because that is exactly what they would be. There isn't much else to it. What you're saying is no different to saying that people should be allowed to be racist because that's their opinion - fine, but expect a big backlash for publicly expressing those opinions.

But who has ever said that in this discussion...? Those complaints don't exist here and CAN'T exist here because it's against the rules. Despite this, that strawman constantly pops up when people say things like "I hate how poor the textures look" or "I really think they could've spent that development time on something better." NOBODY has been bigoted here, yet somehow constant accusations of people being bigoted arise.

It's really very simple: Sims 4 is a game we all play for entertainment. Best way to improve the product is to cater to the majority.

Imagine you're in charge of a group outing of 50 people. You're all on vacation in Paris and wanna enjoy yourself, and you're the trip leader. Day one you ask what everyone wants to do, 30 people say to start with the Eiffel Tower, another 12 wanna see a museum, seven just want to get something to eat and there's one person that wants to go to some famous gay district in the area. You know what happens if you cater towards the one guy wanting to go to the gay district? Your group becomes rather upset because your priorities and leadership seem pretty off. When that's a pattern, people start leaving your group and making their own. That's exactly what we have here. The Eiffel tower supporters are basically the family players, the museum supporters are Seasons, the seven are probably supernatural or pets, and yeah, I don't even know if this community HAD any overt petitioners for a LGBT patch. When the pattern of catering to smaller desires and demands continues, people will stop playing. That's simply how it is, that's the way the world works. No one is saying they hate gay people, no one is saying the purposefully wish the gay community got nothing to make them happy, we're just acknowledging that that little bit of happiness can come at a huuuuge price that may not be worth it in the long run or in the grand scheme of things. I mean we already had gay sims, they just couldn't wear clothes of the opposite gender. That small little detail improvement however allegedly ate into six months (believe they stated this themselves...?) of development time. That's bad.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
    edited October 2016

I can be completely fine with what people do with themselves and their partners behind close doors, yet still have a say in what kind of entertainment I surround myself with. If I choose not to watch films about lesbians and gays for example, that does not make me a bigot. Same as I won't call you a bigot if you decided to never watch a single movie with a straight person in it. It's called personal taste. And when it's a game that has already been out for 2 years and we're all forced to take the update, then I think, at the very least, people should be allowed to complain without being bullied and name called.

If someone chooses not to watch a movie with lesbians and gays because the movie has lesbians and gays, then that is definitely bigoted and there is no excuse for that. You are trying to excuse that kind of behaviour and mindset but it's wrong - always has been and always will be.
    edited October 2016
    If someone chooses not to watch a movie with lesbians and gays because the movie has lesbians and gays then that makes said person a plum and a bigot, and there is no excuse for that. Sorry, but I don't respect those 'opinions' and never will.

how about it's not a genre they prefer? You're literally trying to impose your own taste on the world and are content with assaulting anyone that disagrees with that. That is beyond horrid.
    Being able to coexist as a society is about not assaulting each other based on our values, even if our neighbors values are different and not discarding our own likes and dislikes in order to emulate a homogenized singular unit.

Edit: to explain this a bit. Let's say I want to see a romantic movie. I want to be able to drool over the male lead and to be jealous of the luck of the female lead. I want to be able to imagine myself as her. Because of that I would only get half the enjoyment if it was a lesbian or a gay romantic movie. In other words I want to surround myself with entertainment that makes me feel good, because it is my free time and I want to feel happy.

Same way I can be completely fine with obese people in the streets, however I wouldn't go into a movie to drool over an obese lead, because it's simply not what I'm attracted to.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    Um the real definition of Bigot is actually this
    big·ot
    ˈbiɡət/
    noun
    a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

I can be completely fine with what people do with themselves and their partners behind close doors, yet still have a say in what kind of entertainment I surround myself with. If I choose not to watch films about lesbians and gays for example, that does not make me a bigot. Same as I won't call you a bigot if you decided to never watch a single movie with a straight person in it. It's called personal taste. And when it's a game that has already been out for 2 years and we're all forced to take the update, then I think, at the very least, people should be allowed to complain without being bullied and name called.

If someone chooses not to watch a movie with lesbians and gays because the movie has lesbians and gays, then that is definitely bigoted and there is no excuse for that. You are trying to excuse that kind of behaviour and mindset but it's wrong - always has been and always will be.

A lot of religions and cultures are not allowed to watch such content. Just because someone does not partake in certain forms of entertainment doesn't make them bigoted.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    MissCherie wrote: »

The lot traits are maybe a new system, true, but honestly we already have 500 ways to change our sims' moods, did we really need an other way to do it? And the lot traits that look interesting sounds like they won't do much, like the earthquake one, will it break stuff in your apart or maybe even hurt/kill sims or again it will just give a bad mood to your sims if they experience it? (pretty sure it's just about the mood once again and that it won't affect the game other than that)

They confirmed that the earthquakes don't break anything in the latest stream. The screen shakes and the sims get "upset"- yeah another way to change their moods, which more and more is all this game does seem to offer which speaks to it's expiration day. Another example is the "Romance Festival". It uses a slightly redesigned fountain from the Luxury Party pack to dispense tea that makes you flirty- yeah- we already have tea that makes you flirty. As well, the new bubble blower looks to be the same as say the tea pot or maybe more closely the ice cream maker- since sims change color to some extent when using it but it just seems to once again change moods. They wanted to focus on the sims but after a while changing the exact same moods in just slightly different way and interacting with the limited three trait system gets dull for a lot of people.
    Evalen wrote: »
    City Living, besides festival, can you go to restaurants, in the city, or Parks, bars, nightclubs and are there entertainment in clubs, is there any night life and other places that are new or just the festival. If there is culture can you go to say a Italian restaurant, or other culture restaurant, can you build in City Living, like are there any empty lots to build, can you build a house in the city.

@Evalen There's also a Karaoke Bar. There's a somewhat new art museum execution- maybe a bit like an "art center" but I'd already made something like that with existing items in my game so, not really new on that. There are- I think- six user buildable lots on the ground and three "penthouse" lots a top skyscraper shells for a total of 9 user buildable lots and yes that's not much. As well, I'm not entirely sure of the six ground level lots- it may be four. It's hard to tell/count and someone else may know for sure but I know at one point I thought there were only seven and I still kinda think that.

culling is not a feature though, it's just something that happens under the hood that developers use to make the game run better.

I think it's a feature, combined with the way NPCs and townies are generated, it's keeping the town lively while still allowing to see mostly my own Sims (I play rotational with a lot of Sims) when I'm travelling. In TS2, I had a lot of townies/NPCs. In TS4, there's as just many NPCs as I truly need. When I go to the restaurant, all the customers are my own Sims, the game only generates the staff. When I go to the library next, it's still my own Sims I see, and the game generates the librarian. I see my own Sims everywhere and I love it ! It really gives me more control on my population. It's the game going "just fill your town with all the Sims you want, I'll handle any oversight and complete it for you."

No offense Neia- but culling plums. Like really, Really, REALLY plums! Really... no really, as in really- really.

They also said that the lot traits will be moddable -- so maybe there'll be a modder that can adjust the quakes to actually break things like plumbing or electronics.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • NellythekiddNellythekidd Posts: 251 Member

Yes I didn't want to say trolling as I didn't want to offend anyone but it makes me laugh that some players go to great lengths to defend TS4 only to criticise it later and if that fails, they put down TS3. That dosnt work on me.

Who are these people? All I've seen is people who overall are happy with Sims 4 but who sometimes have things they don't like about it. Some of what they do like, they like because it is, to them, an improvement on Sims 3, which is a perfectly legitimate basis for an opinion. How is this not normal human opinion and behaviour? Do you not have things that you prefer in one game over another? You certainly seem to have no problems putting down TS4. Is it okay for you to put down TS4 (almost entirely based on other people's commentary - you played it for the 48-hour guarantee only) but not for people who prefer TS4 over TS3 to explain why?

I've also felt the need to explain why I prefer some things in TS4 over TS3, also because I want to bring up that not everyone feels the same way about the features in these games. I think it makes sense that people like a game but still acknowledge and bring up the things they would like to see developed in the game or what they miss from a previous game. I have both criticized TS4 and brought up the points that I like about it and why I prefer many of its features over TS3 based on the way I play The Sims. I don't see a problem with it, we are all just trying to justify our opinions I think. :) Plus I feel the need to chime in when I see some assumptions made about me as a player that I don't agree with, like "Sims 4 players just don't care about family play", "they are new players who don't know anything about The Sims" or "they are so desperate for any new content they will buy anything". Why to make such assumptions? The only assumption I can make of people who prefer The Sims 3 is that They prefer The Sims 3, and they have their own reasons for it.
    Origin ID / Gallery: nellythekidd
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited October 2016
    Wow, um....What was the topic of this thread again? :confused:

Still confused.... What is the purpose of said thread anyway?

(I really hope I am misunderstanding, but to me it sounds like some of us simmers are being blamed for the state of Sims 4 for buying more content or something?)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)

No, not here. Name calling isn't allowed. If anything - censoring other peoples opinions because you don't agree is bigoted. No one here is saying there shouldn't be gay people in the sims anyway, I think most people were asking for ways to opt out of downloading the patch. And before you say it's completely optional, there have been instances of males wearing female clothes and vice verse due to bugs or what have you. Which is why having things like the gender patch be optional downloads would have been ideal for everyone. If you want people to accept and respect your views you have to do the same for theirs, even if you don't agree, it's all about respect.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    If someone chooses not to watch a movie with lesbians and gays because the movie has lesbians and gays then that makes said person a plum and a bigot, and there is no excuse for that. Sorry, but I don't respect those 'opinions' and never will.

how about it's not a genre they prefer? You're literally trying to impose your own taste on the world and are content with assaulting anyone that disagrees with that. That is beyond horrid.
    Being able to coexist as a society is about not assaulting each other based on our values, even if our neighbors values are different and not discarding our own likes and dislikes in order to emulate a homogenized singular unit.

Edit: to explain this a bit. Let's say I want to see a romantic movie. I want to be able to drool over the male lead and to be jealous of the luck of the female lead. I want to be able to imagine myself as her. Because of that I would only get half the enjoyment if it was a lesbian or a gay romantic movie. In other words I want to surround myself with entertainment that makes me feel good, because it is my free time and I want to feel happy.

Same way I can be completely fine with obese people in the streets, however I wouldn't go into a movie to drool over an obese lead, because it's simply not what I'm attracted to.

Using a romantic movie really isn't a good example. That genre would automatically include more intimate interactions that could raise objections or preferences. What would be a better gauge is say a mystery or action movie. If you like a good action movie but it included gay interactions and you wouldn't watch the movie for that reason it would be a homophobic reaction.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited October 2016
    Just a quick derail: I think the reasons why Trans sims were done before toddlers are obvious: 1) It was to a way to get into the Pride moment, and to get into the trend after the Trans bill-controversy, and 2) Trans sims would require less new resources, less new 3D models, less new animations, and less programming, etc, than toddlers would, unfortunately.

While I am glad for more inclusion (I am not Trans myself, but I am LGB), I am still sad about the continued lack of toddlers--and disappointed in some messed up meshes, too.

...I still miss my toddlers. :disappointed: (It is good I have the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection.)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)

A lot of religions and cultures are not allowed to watch such content. Just because someone does not partake in certain forms of entertainment doesn't make them bigoted.

A lot of religions and cultures also call for the execution of homosexuals. That is wrong.