Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Must Say Goodbye to Sims 3 for now...

Sadly I can no longer play the Sims 3. Since I downloaded Windows 10 the game freezes and crashes almost right away. I've done everything possible to get it to work. :(

Comments

• Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I hope that some one here can help you out. Sorry to see you go. I hate windows 10, but I am playing the sims 3 on it now. I hope you find a ans.
  • Options
    stepbot153stepbot153 Posts: 284 Member
    You will need to update your graphics card.
    I play sims 3 on windows 10.
    C6y3sJN.jpg
    My wishlist [x]
  • Options
    venusdemilosimsvenusdemilosims Posts: 1,918 Member
    edited October 2016
    Hi, I also have Windows 10 on my laptop (hate it also Evalen but the laptop came with it) and it runs fine. What kind of graphics card are you running? I agree with stepbot153, sounds like an issue with your graphics settings. Every time my driver updates I have to redo the settings in game. It's a pain but has to be done. You might want to try going to the graphics card manufacturer website and download a Windows 10 version of the graphics driver.
    jpnbanner2_zpscb7d2475.jpg header_zps436f0053.jpg

• Options
    MinxMinx Posts: 1,221 Member
    I have found that running my game in compatibility mode, and turning off the data execution prevention has helped my game significantly on both my desktop and laptop.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Minx wrote: »
    I have found that running my game in compatibility mode, and turning off the data execution prevention has helped my game significantly on both my desktop and laptop.

I don't know about Windows 10, but turning off DEP should not have any affect on Sims 3 now as there was a patch (don't know which one) that fixes that problem from Sims 3. Turning off DEP can have unwanted issues with other programs on your computer as you have to specifically choose all of the programs you want DEP turned off for rather than allowing them to do it automatically as required. Turning it off manually for only one program turns it on for all the other programs on your computer that previously had it off by default and that can give you problems.
  • Options
    MinxMinx Posts: 1,221 Member
    I have it off just for my sims and where my game used to crash all the time it doesn't now and I haven't had any issues out of my laptop. I can only suggest what has worked for me and this was it.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    shadowicia wrote: »
    Sadly I can no longer play the Sims 3. Since I downloaded Windows 10 the game freezes and crashes almost right away. I've done everything possible to get it to work. :(

Do you have your computer specs posted somewhere? If not can you post your DxDiag please

Windows key + R Key will open your run box. In the run box in your bottom right hand corner type DxDiag. Hit ok, let it load and save a copy of the text file to desktop. Open the text file at desktop and copy and past the DxDiag in several sections in several posts. The report is very long and will not fit in one post. You can also upload the DxDiag to pastebin http://pastebin.com/ and post a link here if that is easier for you. Thank you
  • Options
    McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    edited October 2016
    Make sure all your drivers are up to date. When you install a new OS, even an upgrade, you need to use driversweeper to uninstall ALL old drivers, then go to your mobo's chipset page and download the drivers for it, same with your GPU's driver page.

I'd put my life on it this is a driver problem, always is with new OS's. You'll have a Win7/Win8 driver in the background somewhere conflicting. When you download new drivers make sure it specifically says W10.

@shadowicia Run driversweeper then double check. You could use a utility like Slimdrivers that will automatically detect and download the latest Win10 drivers for your chipset/gpu for you. But I need to re-stress, make sure you use DriverSweeper to uninstall all old drivers first. Having conflicting or incompatible (w7) drivers is worse than having no drivers at all.

Once you've done that, make sure W10 is up to date too. Update and reboot. If you need further help we'll be here :)
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • Options
    shadowiciashadowicia Posts: 591 Member
    Thanks Guys I will try all your advice and let you know if I got it working :)
  • Options
    SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    Thanks Guys I will try all your advice and let you know if I got it working :)

Driver Sweeper has been replaced with Display Driver Uninstaller.

"The AMD/NVIDIA video drivers can normally be uninstalled from the Windows Control panel, this driver uninstaller program was designed to be used in cases where the standard driver uninstall fails, ----"

"Recommended usage
    •The tool can be used in Normal mode but for absolute stability when using DDU, Safemode is always the best.
    •Make a backup or a system restore (but it should normally be pretty safe).
    •It is best to exclude the DDU folder completely from any security software to avoid issues.

Keep note that NVIDIA/AMD did not have anything to do with this, I do not work at or for NVIDIA/AMD and they should not be held responsible for anything that may go wrong with this application."

After reading these instructions/disclaimer I think it would be safer to try uninstalling from the Windows Control Panel first. And if your computer is a laptop it is probably best to download new drivers from the manufacturers site.
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    I did a complete fresh install of TS3 when I got Windows 10 and it works great. Everyone else's tips are good, too. Best of luck!
  • Options
    bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    edited October 2016
    I have never had an in-place upgrade of any version of Windows work properly. And I've been doing it since Windows v 3.1 I always format my computer, install Windows, then re-install all my software.

Like the others have said, I'm running Windows 10 and it works just fine with Sims 3.
  • Options
    I tried everything guys and it still crashes. I just don't get it :(
  • Options
    McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member

How much RAM do you have? Remember W10 takes more resources than 7, though it shouldn't crash straight away.

Have you updated your windows and made sure you have all required dependencies along with DirectX?

Is this a clean install of Sims 3? If you upgraded your OS you may need to uninstall and re-install Sims 3 entirely. Could be registry that's borked or missing files.
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • Options

Posting your DxDiag like I asked might give me some clues. Some video cards are not supported by windows 10.
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member

Posting your DxDiag like I asked might give me some clues. Some video cards are not supported by windows 10.

I agree.
    A dxdiag should ALWAYS be posted first.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

I agree.
    A dxdiag should ALWAYS be posted first.

Posting in Gen Discussions is not the way to get proper tech help. :/
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I agree with @chesterbigbird and @phoebebebe13 if the solution to the problem can be found they will find it. But dxdiag is essential to give them something to work with.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I am sorry that you are having this problem :(

I myself Windows 10 and treat it the same as Origin. If it forces itself onto you then it is bad news :neutral:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    everyone has problems with Windows 10, not just with Sims 3
    .. any previous disc version of games
    .. external hardware like printers and flash drives
    .. the download version of Sims 2 as well as disc
    it hasn't gone smoothly for anyone

I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Sadly, what @stepbot153 says seems to be true. My hubby's copy wouldn't run on his windows 10 at first then he upgraded to a new graphics card and now it runs great. It doesn't make sense to me since the game was created for a much smaller graphics card than he had before the win 10 and graphics card update...But it does seem true anyway.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    Graphics cards and other devices require operating system compatible drivers to run properly. Older cards that are by no means weak or obsolete will not necessarily have the updated drivers that are needed to run on newer operating systems. This is why I couldn't update my Win 7 TS3 machine to Win 10 no matter how many times the offer came in (which I finally blocked since it was getting annoying), the driver updates for my card and other devices just weren't created and never will be. My sound card was caught up in that also, from reports of other users on identical systems.

So yeah, in theory I could have updated to Win 10 and played TS3 with no sound and no visuals. Sounds like not much fun to me. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I dunno how to post DxDiag, but my Laptop is new, came with windows 10. My video card is a Intel HD family. My CPU is a Intel i7. It runs Sims 2 and Sims 4 on high graphics like a charm, so I dunno why I cant play Sims 3. Ive done everything possible. The game will load then freeze and crash.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    I dunno how to post DxDiag, but my Laptop is new, came with windows 10. My video card is a Intel HD family. My CPU is a Intel i7. It runs Sims 2 and Sims 4 on high graphics like a charm, so I dunno why I cant play Sims 3. Ive done everything possible. The game will load then freeze and crash.
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information. You will need to save the results and paste into several responses as it will be far too long a report to fit into one. Or use Pastebin as suggested earlier.

But I must point out that Intel HD is not a dedicated graphics card, it is an integrated chip. For the most part, the base TS3 game and some of the earlier EPs will run on integrated on medium to low settings, but some of them (esp. Pets, Seasons, IP, and ITF) are much heavier and practically demand a dedicated card. The demands of TS2 and TS4 are very different.

You might also have dual graphics as many laptops do and TS3 is trying to use the "wrong" one. The dxdiag would reveal that and we could tell you what to do to fix it.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options

Windows key + R Key will open your run box. In the run box in your bottom right hand corner type DxDiag. Hit ok, let it load and save a copy of the text file to desktop. Open the text file at desktop and copy and past the DxDiag in several sections in several posts. The report is very long and will not fit in one post. You can also upload the DxDiag to pastebin http://pastebin.com/ and post a link here if that is easier for you. Thank you