Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If I had ONE wish..

it would be for confirmation that seasons will be universal.. or at least have the ability to be universal/adjustable so that you can control the weather and climate in each world.

My ultimate fear with a seasons EP is that weather and climate will be confined to a world. We will have a winter getaway, as opposed to having snow etc in Newcrest, for example.

I have such a love for this game (yes.. S4.. I do love it) and this series as a game, but I am genuinely scared that this will happen with seasons. I tried asking Gurus on twitter but they won't even confirm that it's possible to have universal weather.

I am actually terrified that it will ruin my love for this game.

Please someone reassure me.

Comments

• Options
    ChloeDeCookieChloeDeCookie Posts: 2,467 Member
    Well they change festivals so I don't understand why weather couldn't change the same way but just much slower
    To all you beautiful people out there, have a lovely day.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Well the festivals do not require the back drops and terrain to change - weather does require those to gradually change. Also one Guru even said just for Sims to swim in the ocean in Sims 4 they will need to make a new terrain - that it was not possible in the worlds we have now. Another Guru stated they cannot make changes to worlds already done either because every time they up grade older worlds with new stuff it breaks players saves - so they will not do that now that they are aware of it.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    ChloeDeCookieChloeDeCookie Posts: 2,467 Member
    It doesn't even need to be gradual, just a change in seasons would be fine. And I understand that but it wouldn't change it too much since its only the backdrop and now the layout
    To all you beautiful people out there, have a lovely day.
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited October 2016
    You could maybe pull up a menu and select a "season" like Winter- a loading screen follows -and the game reloads but this time everything is covered in snow until you select spring and then the same thing happens. They could even included season specific activities, probably mostly contained on your lot but maybe in the park land around it. Maybe you'd see the occasional fall leaf like you see a leaf now sometimes. I think it might still involve too much programming for the current iteration and the surveys that were released talked of weather specific vacation destinations- so there's your answer. Further, see "apartments" in CL. It's a "different game". Not necessarily bad but not great.

EDIT: They might also give people the option of replacing the parks in Willow Creek and Oasis with a seasonal lot where seasonal activities could take place while the weather is changed.
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    edited October 2016
    You could maybe pull up a menu and select a "season" like Winter- a loading screen follows -and the game reloads but this time everything is covered in snow until you select spring and then the same thing happens. They could even included season specific activities, probably mostly contained on your lot but maybe in the park land around it. Maybe you'd see the occasional fall leaf like you see a leaf now sometimes. I think it might still involve too much programming for the current iteration and the surveys that were released talked of weather specific vacation destinations- so there's your answer. Further, see "apartments" in CL. It's a "different game". Not necessarily bad but not great.

EDIT: They might also give people the option of replacing the parks in Willow Creek and Oasis with a seasonal lot where seasonal activities could take place while the weather is changed.

I'm not going to lie.. seasons is the absolute make or break for me. I want it to be done correctly. I want control over which seasons go where and I want them to be a gradual change of the landscape just like the lighting. But I did also think apartments would not have loading screens.. ugh I'm just terrified. It's the only thing that I care about honestly..
    Post edited by JayandMeeka on
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    KatyJay88 wrote: »

I'm not going to lie.. seasons is the absolute make or break for me. I want it to be done correctly. I want control over which seasons go where and I want them to be a gradual change of the landscape just like the lighting. But I did also think apartments would not have loading screens.. ugh I'm just terrified. It's the only thing that I can about honestly..

I understand- I felt the same way about apartments... and now it's not just the loading screens, they also can't be built or even placed by the player and are preset (forever) in San Myshuno alone. I hope I'm and others are wrong about Season. I love watching it snow and gradually seeing the landscape change but in this game it's just a static background- like a painting, so I doubt it'll be what many of us want.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    @KatyJay88
    Here's the latest tweet on the subject, no definitive answer of course, but I would rate seasons being exclusive to a new specific world as unlikely.

Seasons are so important for me too. With the Sims art style, the new lighting, it could look so gorgeous. There's already the background that changes with day/night, different daytime depending on the world (Windenburg sunset is earlier). I'm not sure we'll have all seasons in all worlds though, I would love it, but I'm remaining cautious in my expectations, they could limit some season/world combinations (like not being able to choose Winter for Oasis Spring).

I would love to see fully customizable seasons, like choosing how wet/dry the climate is, when is the sunset/sunrise or even a latitude, or tropical/continental climate. And Seasons' length (GoT RP ? ;)). Perhaps they could do a The Sims 4 : Climate :D And add some eco-friendly features too ?

Climate and seasons have such an impact on our lives, I think the past Seasons EP have just scratched the surface, so I'm really excited to see what they'll do this time !
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    @Neia
    you.. you just made my day! Does @SimGuruDaniel work on EPs? If so.. that is a FABULOUS sign! And actually.. the more I think about it.. the more I feel like gurus want to implement as many options for players as possible this iteration and with seasons that's just what I want.

Feeling so much better! Thank you!
  • Options
    Also- he said that a month ago.. and they have no plans for weather yet? We must be a long way off from that EP..
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Yes, he is on the EP team, or at least he was last summer (http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/892167/which-simgurus-work-in-which-area/p1). He is a designer so he works on how things are going to work, and he could also be among the firsts to work on the next EP (see SimGuruMegs' reddit quote below). So yes, I guess it's better not to expect the Seasons EP in the near future. At least, it's not too late to add all our crazy ideas :D
    We have separate teams on the Sims 4 for SPs, GPs, EPs, and what we call engagement (the team that delivers patches and free content updates.) Usually the bulk of any team is working only on one pack at a time, but the designers write designs for the next pack ahead of the rest of the team, and some engineers may start working on tricky tech ahead of time. We also stay pretty fluid, so if a pack needs more help, people will move off of a different pack temporarily to help out.
  • Options
    TheBristolSimmerTheBristolSimmer Posts: 705 Member
    When the news came out that apartments were a San Myshuno only thing, it was only then that I then started to question how Seasons would be put into the game. I now have doubts about it being universal across all the worlds, which just seems crazy to me! So, yes I agree, I'm here hoping for a confirmation that this will not be the case! :) xoxo
    The Bristol Simmer||Find my builds and legacy updates on the gallery! Have a happy day!

68OUgVc.jpg
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    You could maybe pull up a menu and select a "season" like Winter- a loading screen follows -and the game reloads but this time everything is covered in snow until you select spring and then the same thing happens.
    Yes, please let them implement seasons this way! The way time progresses in Sims 4 I'm afraid seasons would make rotational play much harder. If I play a household and it is day 1 of winter, it should still be day 1 of winter when I return to that household. But I'm afraid the game will instead count the elapsed days globally.
  • Options
    You could maybe pull up a menu and select a "season" like Winter- a loading screen follows -and the game reloads but this time everything is covered in snow until you select spring and then the same thing happens.
    Yes, please let them implement seasons this way! The way time progresses in Sims 4 I'm afraid seasons would make rotational play much harder. If I play a household and it is day 1 of winter, it should still be day 1 of winter when I return to that household. But I'm afraid the game will instead count the elapsed days globally.

I think it should be like aging - you should be able to turn on progression (including seasonal progression) or turn it off if you want. For me, I would want it to continue. I also want families to continue to build and progress without me. But I know not everyone wants that, so I think the best of both worlds is to make it optional.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I hope there's a toggle for weather. In every other game I've ever played that had it, it was little more than a resource hog for ambience. I'd much rather build a winter scene for a lot with build/buy mode and terrain paint/floor tiles, for example, much like you can build a desert lot like in Oasis Springs, without adding in pointless heatwaves or something.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    marx13marx13 Posts: 48 Member
    Did anyone else immediately think of Ray J?

But glad to see that Seasons hasn't been ruled out for ts4. It's the comfiest EP.
  • Options
    I hope there's a toggle for weather. In every other game I've ever played that had it, it was little more than a resource hog for ambience. I'd much rather build a winter scene for a lot with build/buy mode and terrain paint/floor tiles, for example, much like you can build a desert lot like in Oasis Springs, without adding in pointless heatwaves or something.

I just want my sims to know what seasons it is. I want them to react to the weather/temperature. I'm waiting so patiently for the day that my sims can have a big family reunion thanksgiving dinner in the fall with gorgeous leaves falling around the house, or have the kids wake up the house and give gifts on christmas morning with snow gently falling.

My entire game rests on the potential for this to happen. Otherwise, it's back S3 with extremely poor routing that only allows me to have small gatherings so that sims don't get stuck in the house. I honestly think I should write a passionate letter about this to the Gurus..
  • Options
    RueSaultRueSault Posts: 116 Member

I'm not going to lie.. seasons is the absolute make or break for me. I want it to be done correctly. I want control over which seasons go where and I want them to be a gradual change of the landscape just like the lighting. But I did also think apartments would not have loading screens.. ugh I'm just terrified. It's the only thing that I can about honestly..

I understand- I felt the same way about apartments... and now it's not just the loading screens, they also can't be built or even placed by the player and are preset (forever) in San Myshuno alone. I hope I'm and others are wrong about Season. I love watching it snow and gradually seeing the landscape change but in this game it's just a static background- like a painting, so I doubt it'll be what many of us want.

I agree... with both of you... Seasons is solidly the ONE thing that I just have to have in Sims. It gives the Sim stories a timeline... and ugh... Seriously... it shouldn't be that hard to add weather... They did it in Sims3 and it affected each world the same. You could easily set up what seasons you wanted and how long you wanted each to be....

Not sure why this would be a problem in Sims 4.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    If they can find a way to give us seasons, our sims won't know the difference anyway. They don't react to death, so why would they react to snow? Which version was it where sims would stare out the window?
  • Options
    This got moved to spec and rumour? Why though? I'm discussing the game.. not leaks or hints.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    This got moved to spec and rumour? Why though? I'm discussing the game.. not leaks or hints.

I'm guessing because it's speculation over how Seasons would work if it were introduced.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

I'm guessing because it's speculation over how Seasons would work if it were introduced.

Mm. Fair enough. Although I don't particularly like that it's in this section.. meh.
  • Options
    XoxNicolexoXXoxNicolexoX Posts: 119 Member
    The whole thing with broken saves, I think they could at least give everyone a month or so to prepare for an overhaul on the worlds. Honestly I wouldn't even complain about saves if they reworked everything.
    rsz_simsgurunicole.png