the worst thing about City Living - it will sell like hot cakes

Comments

  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    I think this iteration is the best so far. In my opinion, it is not mediocre. What's my incentive to not buy and enjoy it? There is none. I am under no obligation to give up my opinion about the game because someone else disagrees with it.

    No, you're not. Just don't expect the future to be any better. And you can subjectively think that this iteration is better. However objectively over 200 features were cut when comparing to previous iterations.

    I'd be perfectly happy if the future was this good, thanks.

    And "objectively" it has features that previous editions didn't have as well as not having some that previous editions have. It is also not an objective matter whether those features are missed: there are many that I, personally, don't miss or am happy to not have; other people will have their own set of subjective preferences around previous games' features. Which features I would like to have again is also a subjective matter. And objectively, they weren't "cut": they were not added. This is a new game, not a recoding of old ones. You can't cut things you don't make in the first place. (Nitpicky, that last point, but it's been bugging me for two years, so I'm finally saying it.)

    I totally agree with your "nitpicky" statement. I get so 🎁🎁🎁🎁 when people say things were cut from a pack. It can't be cut if it was never a part of the pack in the first place. If it was never added into the pack, it can't be taken out.
  • itsugitsug Posts: 1,613 Member
    @TheSimer sorry for the OT but that Sims 4 "Critic" signature is awesome! :D
    Admin and on Support team of MC CmD @ Discord - https://discord.gg/Jcc8uRW
    MC CmD is available at https://deaderpool-mccc.com/
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited October 2016
    Arletta wrote: »
    mirta000 wrote: »
    A lot of people in this topic for some reason think that they need to defend the fact that they like the game. No they do not. Good for them. I'm merely asking what will be EA's incentive to make the next iteration better. Because if you can make a mediocre game and sell many units, what is the point in investing more effort?

    You are calling for that though. Your basic point is that if the folks who like it don't buy it then they're forced to fix it, which makes those who are happy and buying immediately go on the defensive. You said nothing of those who are unhappy but will buy or those that just buy anyway.

    It's a faulty premise based on assumptions on your part. There is no incentive on their part to fix it. There never has been. There never will be. They'll make it how they want regardless of what we want.

    Why? I "like" it and I'm going to buy it. I've even made posts comparing it and it's features to GT and showing how it does stack up comparatively with that pack but I don't feel that I have to blindly defend every single aspect of it in the face of all evidence against certain features or the lack thereof and I never have. I liked GT and found little fault with it, while others really disliked it. I didn't run from topic to topic endlessly defending it as some are doing now. I might make a single post or two but usually it'd end there. I liked the pack and that was the end of it. (Shrug) It may be the same old people being critical of the game but it's also the same old people vehemently defending it- over and over and over. Now, I suspect that some people on the forums have been reached out to be "influencers" here along with the Youtube contingent. There was a statement that SimGuruDrake was reaching out to people on the forums some weeks back and that's fine- EA/Maxis has every right to have it's side promoted and defended but it casts into doubt imo anyone who is just far too complementary of "features" even when said "features" are minor or essentially basic re-treads of base game items ect. or just insisting that lacks within the EP are of no consequence or even good with a ferocity that doesn't match the issue at hand. I could be wrong, of course... I have been wrong in my life which I'm sure comes as a big surprise to the rest of you (lol)... but I suspect not. Anyway, I see no reason to go on the defensive because you like the pack. YOU are getting, obviously, what YOU wanted why do you feel you need to keep justifying that? I can see the other side being upset and feeling they need to keep delivering their critique of the game- they are not happy and usually unhappy people will make a point of it (I'm not happy with the entire pack and have made a point of it) but why do it when you are happy- over and over and over? Why?
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,189 Member
    @JasonAnthonySterling
    I'm commenting on what I like because silence means consent and I find important that Maxis knows what I like as well as what I don't like.
  • NellythekiddNellythekidd Posts: 251 Member
    I still don't think it's half baked or missing features. Apparently it's okay for Sims 3 to have horrible half baked features, or even an entire expansion pack that only works in one world that barely even functions if you're lucky, but it's not okay to have 1 lack of apartments.

    Just want to say that I share your sentiments towards TS3. World Adventures was too much focused on quests for individual sims - in the vacation world I felt that there was a lack of things for sims to do together as a family. Late Night for me did not have enough focus on apartments for me. Also the routing in Bridgeport was challenging especially if my sim lived in the "hills" - at worst, it took a very long time to get from point A to point B which is one of the reasons I didn't take my sims out much in this iteration. The introduction of the celebrity system I was excited for, but I ended up having it turned off because with it on, pretty much all my sims from traffic cops to paper boys became celebrities. The performers I made with Showtime expansion were not convincing either: even at the top of their careers they had max 2-4 sims come to see their performance, and the lack of sims in public spaces was a problem for me throughout TS3 especially in worlds I had many community lots. Where is everyone? Bridgeport looks-wise was my favorite world but I also had problems with sims getting stuck in the empty spaces next to elevators.

    The life states from Supernatural didn't have enough unique interactions and gameplay for me. After TS2's witches were just a side addition in Apartment themed pack, I was disappointed and missed TS1 Makin' Magic's take on the Supernatural. Granted it had less life states but in TS1 playing a witch or a celebrity offered a whole different kind of gameplay. Island Paradise's world was so glitchy for me that my game often crashed when scuba diving. Even with the NRAAS mastercontroller, the game was very slow and glitchy. Overall for me open world caused a lot of problems. Creating a sim took a very long time because all the items in every category needed to load individually for some reason. Generations brought a lot of gameplay for different ages and overall I really liked it, but I still found that there was a lack of things to do for children since there were many objects (like instruments and foosball table) that they couldn't use.

    In TS1 and TS2 I liked to see my sims go out in a restautant but TS3 never opened up restaurants for gameplay. (Possibly a store item did it, but I am not aware as I did not buy store items.) Another problem to me was the store. I do like that it has lots of new content but I already thought that TS2 was expensive. The Store sets went over the top for me and I prefer TS4's way of dealing with stuff packs. Some of the life aspirations (like black widow) were bugged and never fixed. Things breaking and never getting fixed was one of the problems overall, as well for me. Why does the Sims 3 run so bad, when my computer can run GTA 5 and other new games well? The load times for loading the world were terrible at the end as well. Trait system, generations and other things that I very much liked in TS3 were tainted by the performance issues, strange glitches and features I thought were half baked compared either compared to TS2 or on their own (apartments, vacationing, band system that was a great idea but did not work, so many rabbithole locations).

    This is my subjective opinion based on my experience with TS3 and I know that others have got a good gaming experience out of it. For me TS3 however felt like an under-performer in too many aspects that were important to me for me to enjoy it. After TS3, I am happy that TS4 seems to be stable, quick and is doing some things in a different way. (For example, TS2 offered city life with vampires, TS3 offered city life with vampires, it bored me! I'm happy to have other emphasis after 2 very similar expansions content-wise.) Multitasking has some issues but it has been refreshing to me for example being able to have mother interact with her children while she is cooking, and so on. The club system has allowed me to make different clubs, I'm enjoying building and downloading different types of restaurants that the entire family can go to and so on. Features like gardening were included in the get-go... For me TS4 has got rid of many of the problems I had with TS3 and one of the most important thing is I rarely have any bugs or issues and I like the content so far. This sounds silly but I'm just... happy to like The Sims again. And I think no one is wrong for liking TS3. Here was my essay! :)
    Origin ID / Gallery: nellythekidd
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,933 Member
    All this thread literally is, is a few certain simmers trying to shame people for liking Sims 4. Im looking forward to city living, only complaints are lack of life state and no buildable apartments. I still don't think it's half baked or missing features. Apparently it's okay for Sims 3 to have horrible half baked features, or even an entire expansion pack that only works in one world that barely even functions if you're lucky, but it's not okay to have 1 lack of apartments.

    I am excited for City Living, I will be purchasing City living, I will be purchasing future content. I do not think Sims 4 is half bake, and I'm not defending that just to feed someones ego, get over it.


    Edit; just comparing Sims 3 retail, spas and restaurants to Sims 4 is a complete joke. They were all rabbit holes for one unless you got the store pack.

    Kids couldn't even dine out, the restaurants were always dead, the chef was also the waiter and food magically poofed ready in seconds from an enchanted oven.

    There were no restocking fees, you could only sell furniture In the catalogue (no crafts), and any sim could EASILY be convinced to buy anything.

    I am tired of people looking for every chance to put down the Sims 4 and not even remembering basic stuff like children not even being able to play instruments or go out to a RESTAURANT and try to say Sims 4 does everything worse. Almost every item Sims 4 has been better than Sims 3. DJ booths have waay more songs, karaoke has more songs and duets, chocolate fountain comas with other juices, ice-cream maker comes with around 35 flavors compared to Sims 3's like 5 ice-cream flavors. And everything has been soo much better priced too.

    I'm not aware of the expansion pack that only works in one world BUT I, for one, did not think the half baked features in the Sims 3 were "okay". I don't think the horrible bugs and glitches that were never fixed (Island Paradise being a glaring example) is okay. I have stated that Spa Day/ Dine Out and the Retail system are ALL vast improvements over Sims 3 but I'm not blind to their limitations and the fact that they did stop short in several ways. I expect the Sims 4 to be not just better but greater than the Sims 3. I have (had :/) high expectations for this iteration and simply saying it's better in one way or another over a game that started production ten years ago is not saying it's great. It should be better as a given over an older title- it should be great out of a desire to excel.

    The expansion Is island paradise ;)
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    I think this iteration is the best so far. In my opinion, it is not mediocre. What's my incentive to not buy and enjoy it? There is none. I am under no obligation to give up my opinion about the game because someone else disagrees with it.

    No, you're not. Just don't expect the future to be any better. And you can subjectively think that this iteration is better. However objectively over 200 features were cut when comparing to previous iterations.
    Arletta wrote: »
    You are calling for that though. Your basic point is that if the folks who like it don't buy it then they're forced to fix it, which makes those who are happy and buying immediately go on the defensive. You said nothing of those who are unhappy but will buy or those that just buy anyway.

    It's a faulty premise based on assumptions on your part. There is no incentive on their part to fix it. There never has been. There never will be. They'll make it how they want regardless of what we want.

    No, my premise is that the franchise is doomed. That's about it. Nothing to do with you being forced to not to buy things.

    If it's selling, how is it 'doomed'?

  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited October 2016
    Neia wrote: »
    @JasonAnthonySterling
    I'm commenting on what I like because silence means consent and I find important that Maxis knows what I like as well as what I don't like.

    @Neia They'll know when you buy it and further "telemetry data" from your play habits will show them what you utilized in a pack and what you didn't. That's how EA/Maxis has stated again and again that they know what players want and what direction to take with the game. Of course not buying the pack also send them the message that you didn't like it BUT it doesn't send the message of why you didn't. Nor would telemetry data do so in that case. That's why I far greater understand people outlining again and again disappointment because that's the only way to express it with a hope that someone notices.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    People complain about limited features in packs and how if you don't like a pack, then don't buy it, and this will make them improve the game by withholding your money from them. But if you don't buy it and there is less money in the budget for all the features you want, then you're only hurting yourself in the end. And no, I'm not saying you should buy a pack you don't like to fill their coffers, I am saying don't cut your nose off to spite your face.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I think if I over justify why I like the pack, it's because I feel bad that others aren't happy with the pack. I truly wish there were more things in this pack that they liked or fit their play style. I know no pack will please everyone, and I realize that adding things I like may take out things others like and vise versa. Is CL perfect? No, there are things I would want done differently or added in or taken out. But as it stands, over all, I'm happy with the pack and I can find ways to play that will work with my play style.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,189 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    @JasonAnthonySterling
    I'm commenting on what I like because silence means consent and I find important that Maxis knows what I like as well as what I don't like.

    @Neia They'll know when you buy it and further "telemetry data" from your play habits will show them what you utilized in a pack and what you didn't. That's how EA/Maxis has stated again and again that they know what players want and what direction to take with the game. Of course not buying the pack also send them the message that you didn't like it BUT it doesn't send the message of why you didn't. Nor would telemetry data do so in that case. That's why I far greater understand people outlining again and again disappointment because that's the only way to express it with a hope that someone notices.

    They have also stated that telemetry data is only one of the things they are looking at, and that they are reading the forum. Posting my feedback allows me to explain why I'm liking it too and how it could be even better.

    And in the case of terrain tools for example or any feature that isn't there, telemetry wouldn't tell them I'm not interested in that.
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    People complain about limited features in packs and how if you don't like a pack, then don't buy it, and this will make them improve the game by withholding your money from them. But if you don't buy it and there is less money in the budget for all the features you want, then you're only hurting yourself in the end. And no, I'm not saying you should buy a pack you don't like to fill their coffers, I am saying don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

    The only problem I have with statements like this is if McDonald's comes out with a new burger and no one likes it and no one buys it that doesn't mean they'll never come out with a new item or that the new items following will be of even lesser quality. It means they'll realize they made a mistake and try a different tact next time, imo.

    Your second statement about why you like the pack was very good and very well balanced!
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,592 Member
    This pack may very well sell like hot cakes but I don't believe it will sell that way because of what may or may not be in the pack.

    Omitting the players who are just disappointed with the pack and won't buy it you still have others left.

    The players who really like the game and are excited about CL.
    The players who are still trying to like the game and hope this pack will help.
    The players who will buy anything just because The Sims name is on it.
    The players who are really bored with what is there and buy it out of boredom but will be back in the forums a week later talking about they are looking for the next content.

    Out of the four I truly believe that the last three will be the majority. Maxis won't care why you buy it...just that you do buy it. To me this sends the message that it's okay to continue to sell whatever they want.

    *disclaimer* I did not tell anyone what to do with their money. I did not say anything about anyone's mental state, taste or opinion. I am only stating what I observe as a consumer.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    Arletta wrote: »
    mirta000 wrote: »
    A lot of people in this topic for some reason think that they need to defend the fact that they like the game. No they do not. Good for them. I'm merely asking what will be EA's incentive to make the next iteration better. Because if you can make a mediocre game and sell many units, what is the point in investing more effort?

    You are calling for that though. Your basic point is that if the folks who like it don't buy it then they're forced to fix it, which makes those who are happy and buying immediately go on the defensive. You said nothing of those who are unhappy but will buy or those that just buy anyway.

    It's a faulty premise based on assumptions on your part. There is no incentive on their part to fix it. There never has been. There never will be. They'll make it how they want regardless of what we want.

    Why? I "like" it and I'm going to buy it. I've even made posts comparing it and it's features to GT and showing how it does stack up comparatively with that pack but I don't feel that I have to blindly defend every single aspect of it in the face of all evidence against certain features or the lack thereof and I never have. I liked GT and found little fault with it, while others really disliked it. I didn't run from topic to topic endlessly defending it as some are doing now. I might make a single post or two but usually it'd end there. I liked the pack and that was the end of it. (Shrug) It may be the same old people being critical of the game but it's also the same old people vehemently defending it- over and over and over. Now, I suspect that some people on the forums have been reached out to be "influencers" here along with the Youtube contingent. There was a statement that SimGuruDrake was reaching out to people on the forums some weeks back and that's fine- EA/Maxis has every right to have it's side promoted and defended but it casts into doubt imo anyone who is just far too complementary of "features" even when said "features" are minor or essentially basic re-treads of base game items ect. or just insisting that lacks within the EP are of no consequence or even good with a ferocity that doesn't match the issue at hand. I could be wrong, of course... I have been wrong in my life which I'm sure comes as a big surprise to the rest of you (lol)... but I suspect not. Anyway, I see no reason to go on the defensive because you like the pack. YOU are getting, obviously, what YOU wanted why do you feel you need to keep justifying that? I can see the other side being upset and feeling they need to keep delivering their critique of the game- they are not happy and usually unhappy people will make a point of it (I'm not happy with the entire pack and have made a point of it) but why do it when you are happy- over and over and over? Why?

    Personally, I'm not blindly defending it. I started in this topic because I felt (still do, but by the by) that the franchise being 'doomed' is the fault of those who buy it. Nothing yet has changed that thought. It's not a new thought. I'm always fascinated by it. It's always those who are happy with the game, never the ones who blindly buy because they're 'collectors' or the ones who are vocal about what they hate but buy it anyway. As I said, something I'm fascinated with and disgusted by in fairly equal measures. Strangely, those who are happy with it, didn't ask for it either. People wanted a city pack, but I'm guessing most of those who had a city pack in their head didn't have none buildable apartments there. Not buying it won't change it.

    As I said yesterday, my blind 'defending' stopped a while ago. I refuse to be held responsible for whatever perceived crimes I committed. I didn't enter into the game believing I'd like it. It just so happens I do. Nothing and nobody will change that, anymore than people sitting here saying "Well, it's your fault it's this way" will make me believe it or make me believe that I should stop supporting the game.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,969 Member
    Arletta wrote: »
    If it's selling, how is it 'doomed'?

    doomed into being a worse and worse continuation of the series every iteration, because the customers don't care about features taken out.
    Maxis won't care why you buy it...just that you do buy it. To me this sends the message that it's okay to continue to sell whatever they want.

    that is my main concern. We're doomed for decrease in quality, because the sales won't express our unhappiness.
    The new thang that I do now is 100 baby challenge in The Sims 3 (it's my first time!)!


  • GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    I personally am looking forward for CL.

    It is the first thing for Sims4 that I actually pre-ordered. I like the whole city look, I have always wanted my sims to live in an urban environment, as Bridgeport ended up being my favorite city to play in Sims3. Overall, I like the fact that we can flag both apartments and houses, so that we can have vermin ...

    I am looking forward to the new jobs offered, the new traits ( or old traits returning in some cases ). I am looking forward to the festivals. Having been to a few things similar to a "Geek-Con", I can't wait to send my nerdy type sims down as now the little Nerds have a whole place for them to gather. The one with romance will be a good place to take dating couples or sims to a first date. I am glad that kid sims can play basketball and that it wasn't left out for them. I really like the look of all the things in CAS, to really help flesh out ethnic and cultural sims.

    I see great things with CL, not the missed opportunities that could have been.
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Arletta wrote: »
    If it's selling, how is it 'doomed'?

    doomed into being a worse and worse continuation of the series every iteration, because the customers don't care about features taken out.
    Maxis won't care why you buy it...just that you do buy it. To me this sends the message that it's okay to continue to sell whatever they want.

    that is my main concern. We're doomed for decrease in quality, because the sales won't express our unhappiness.

    You don't know that will happen though. You don't know that there will be further iterations. You don't know that there'll be a decrease in quality (which is subjective anyway) if there are further iterations. All you have is theories.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    People complain about limited features in packs and how if you don't like a pack, then don't buy it, and this will make them improve the game by withholding your money from them. But if you don't buy it and there is less money in the budget for all the features you want, then you're only hurting yourself in the end. And no, I'm not saying you should buy a pack you don't like to fill their coffers, I am saying don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

    The only problem I have with statements like this is if McDonald's comes out with a new burger and no one likes it and no one buys it that doesn't mean they'll never come out with a new item or that the new items following will be of even lesser quality. It means they'll realize they made a mistake and try a different tact next time, imo.

    Your second statement about why you like the pack was very good and very well balanced!

    I see your point, but if McDonalds comes out with a new burger that people don't like, they can buy another burger that they do like. Simmers who don't like CL can't buy a different EP because this is the only EP they are releasing until the next one, possibly in another year. So if this EP pulls in ten percent less than the last one, the budget will tighten and fewer features that we want will make it into the next EP.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,592 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    People complain about limited features in packs and how if you don't like a pack, then don't buy it, and this will make them improve the game by withholding your money from them. But if you don't buy it and there is less money in the budget for all the features you want, then you're only hurting yourself in the end. And no, I'm not saying you should buy a pack you don't like to fill their coffers, I am saying don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

    The only problem I have with statements like this is if McDonald's comes out with a new burger and no one likes it and no one buys it that doesn't mean they'll never come out with a new item or that the new items following will be of even lesser quality. It means they'll realize they made a mistake and try a different tact next time, imo.

    Your second statement about why you like the pack was very good and very well balanced!

    I see your point, but if McDonalds comes out with a new burger that people don't like, they can buy another burger that they do like. Simmers who don't like CL can't buy a different EP because this is the only EP they are releasing until the next one, possibly in another year. So if this EP pulls in ten percent less than the last one, the budget will tighten and fewer features that we want will make it into the next EP.

    I lost count. Is this the second or third time we agreed on something?
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,969 Member
    Arletta wrote: »
    You don't know that there will be further iterations.

    this would be even more grim than my prediction. No further sims iteration = death of franchise itself.
    The new thang that I do now is 100 baby challenge in The Sims 3 (it's my first time!)!


  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    People complain about limited features in packs and how if you don't like a pack, then don't buy it, and this will make them improve the game by withholding your money from them. But if you don't buy it and there is less money in the budget for all the features you want, then you're only hurting yourself in the end. And no, I'm not saying you should buy a pack you don't like to fill their coffers, I am saying don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

    The only problem I have with statements like this is if McDonald's comes out with a new burger and no one likes it and no one buys it that doesn't mean they'll never come out with a new item or that the new items following will be of even lesser quality. It means they'll realize they made a mistake and try a different tact next time, imo.

    Your second statement about why you like the pack was very good and very well balanced!

    I see your point, but if McDonalds comes out with a new burger that people don't like, they can buy another burger that they do like. Simmers who don't like CL can't buy a different EP because this is the only EP they are releasing until the next one, possibly in another year. So if this EP pulls in ten percent less than the last one, the budget will tighten and fewer features that we want will make it into the next EP.

    I lost count. Is this the second or third time we agreed on something?

    It's getting spooky. (supernatural reference)
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited October 2016
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    People complain about limited features in packs and how if you don't like a pack, then don't buy it, and this will make them improve the game by withholding your money from them. But if you don't buy it and there is less money in the budget for all the features you want, then you're only hurting yourself in the end. And no, I'm not saying you should buy a pack you don't like to fill their coffers, I am saying don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

    The only problem I have with statements like this is if McDonald's comes out with a new burger and no one likes it and no one buys it that doesn't mean they'll never come out with a new item or that the new items following will be of even lesser quality. It means they'll realize they made a mistake and try a different tact next time, imo.

    Your second statement about why you like the pack was very good and very well balanced!

    I see your point, but if McDonalds comes out with a new burger that people don't like, they can buy another burger that they do like. Simmers who don't like CL can't buy a different EP because this is the only EP they are releasing until the next one, possibly in another year. So if this EP pulls in ten percent less than the last one, the budget will tighten and fewer features that we want will make it into the next EP.

    Companies have flops all the time is really my point. It's like people assuming if the Sims 4 wasn't successful EA would just drop the franchise and I doubt that would happen. Do don't kill the goose for laying a bronze egg. I really believe if there was a firm drop in sales for a single EP you'd see at least one more attempt, with a greater effort executed before the company gave up. In fact I'd say we did see this with SPs and GPs. They grew much better over time from when they were first launched and I personally believe that had a lot to do with negative feedback and lower than expected sales as a consequence, especially with Luxury Party and Outdoor retreat but even with Spa Day which was a pretty good effort BUT left out say the ability to own the Spa. The was changed with Dine Out. Anyway, it's just speculation, for all I really know they pass around a Magic 8 Ball at meetings and do whatever it says.
  • NotLoudonWainwrightNotLoudonWainwright Posts: 863 Member
    People are going to buy a game that they enjoy. The horror!

    The Sims 4 was the best selling PC game of 2015 and is the most successful Sims game so far because it's exactly what most fans want from a life simulation game. Of course it's going to sell well.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    People complain about limited features in packs and how if you don't like a pack, then don't buy it, and this will make them improve the game by withholding your money from them. But if you don't buy it and there is less money in the budget for all the features you want, then you're only hurting yourself in the end. And no, I'm not saying you should buy a pack you don't like to fill their coffers, I am saying don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

    The only problem I have with statements like this is if McDonald's comes out with a new burger and no one likes it and no one buys it that doesn't mean they'll never come out with a new item or that the new items following will be of even lesser quality. It means they'll realize they made a mistake and try a different tact next time, imo.

    Your second statement about why you like the pack was very good and very well balanced!

    I see your point, but if McDonalds comes out with a new burger that people don't like, they can buy another burger that they do like. Simmers who don't like CL can't buy a different EP because this is the only EP they are releasing until the next one, possibly in another year. So if this EP pulls in ten percent less than the last one, the budget will tighten and fewer features that we want will make it into the next EP.

    Companies have flops all the time is really my point. It's like people assuming if the Sims 4 wasn't successful EA would just drop the franchise and I doubt that would happen. Do don't kill the goose for laying a bronze egg. I really believe if there was a firm drop in sales for a single EP you'd see at least one more attempt, with a greater effort executed before the company gave up. In fact I'd say we did see this with SPs and GPs. They grew much better over time from when they were first launched and I personally believe that had a lot to do with negative feedback and lower than expected sales as a consequence, especially with Luxury Party and Outdoor retreat but even with Spa Day which was a pretty good effort BUT left out say the ability to own the Spa. The was changed with Dine Out. Anyway, it's just speculation, for all I really know they pass around a Magic 8 Ball at meetings and do whatever it says.

    I've used a magic 8 ball in the past. It usually made better decisions than I would have, but where's the fun in that?
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    People are going to buy a game that they enjoy. The horror!

    The Sims 4 was the best selling PC game of 2015 and is the most successful Sims game so far because it's exactly what most fans want from a life simulation game. Of course it's going to sell well.

    You're great! I love when you post! Are you really Colton?

    Anyway, you are quite right- nothing can stand against the majesty and execution of a title as grand and inspired as the Sims 4. It is destined- DARE I SAY PREORDAINED! -to carry the torch of gaming greatness not just now but tomorrow and the next day and the next for NOT JUST OURSELVES BUT OUR CHILDREN AND OUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN! Preach it brother!
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top