Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Gallery

I was thinking about the gallery, we have a lot of great lots on there and I often download houses and venues, it's so much quicker. But yesterday I was filling up Newcrest so I was downloading a lot. it took me hours because I had to tweak every one of them.
Do you tweak your downloads??
I thought it would be a great idea to post pics of before and after. remembering to give a thank you to the original designer. I don't have any before or after pics but I will later this evening as I plan to download a few more.
so if you have them lets see you're before and after pics.

Comments

• FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    I always tweak the stuff I download. I'm incredibly bad at building houses, so downloading one someone else made is much easier for me. But finding something that looks exactly like I want is nearly impossible, so I always have to add a extra room or redecorate :tongue: I also do the same thing for sims. I'm want more diverse sims in my game, but those I make sometimes have a similar face, so downloading a sim from someone else and changing a few things is easier :blush:

Sadly I'm on vacation so I can't share any pictures :/
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I downloaded a lovely house from gelfing_ki called Eco living love the outside so if you want to see the original go look, I don't know how to put links for that, but heres what I did to the inside.
    first I had to delete the basement, my game doesn't work well with basements, the lot keeps jumping with any basement, I basically left the front as it was, I just moved a few plants and pulled some walls out at the side.

front
    10-17-16_12-51-45nbspPM_zps8pyydkjo.png
    back I left alone its so pretty
    10-17-16_12-51-32nbspPM_zps4vz88q59.png
    ground floor
    10-17-16_12-35-06nbspPM_zps3h6w1fwa.png
    top floor
    10-17-16_12-34-04nbspPM_zps6yg3hjyy.png

please lets see your renovations or tweaks.
  • QtKawaiiQtKawaii Posts: 37 Member
    That's a wonderful house you've got there!
    QtKawaii wrote: »
    That's a wonderful house you've got there!

thank you, that's my renovation of the original. I like my sims homes simple and easy to play without too much clutter.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I definitely tweak when I download a lot -- I'll add a basement (I don't seem to have the jumping issue that some report) and sometimes upgrade the furniture if my Sims have enough money after moving in. If there's an extra bedroom I'll usually convert that to a study. And yesterday I fould a nice museum for Newcrest, but it had a lot of items that had been enlarged and I didn't really like that so I replaced almost all of the artwork.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    @stilljustme2 I'd love to see pics. I usually only have one museum for all four neighbourhoods.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I've only had the one in Willow Creek for quite some time, but I've been doing some remodeling for City Living and thought if I wanted to have a Sim that's a critic it might be nice if s/he could go elsewhere than San Myshuno to find subjects. I've got a large park I'm building for Newcrest where I'm planning to put a podium for any Sims in the political career, and I already have a restaurant, a cafe and a yoga studio in that same neighborhood. I still need to do the landscaping on the park, then I can place it on the lot (I do all my building in a separate save from my actual game play -- it's a save I use for testing mods when there's a new patch so I can figure out which ones still work and which ones are broken) after I save it to my library.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Usually I download from the gallery when I don't want to spend time on build mode. Almost everytime I still end up doing minor tweaks. For community lots there's often something in the functionality that I want to change and that could lead into bigger changes. But if I really feel like editing I usually start with a maxis made lot, because then I would feel better about sharing it on the gallery in case it turns out super nice.
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    I really wish that the things I redo that I could put them on the gallery so when I have to redo the game or as I am going to redo my computer to an SSD then I could put them back in. I have lost more sims/houses because there is no place to keep them safe. If I re-install the sims then I lose my library. If I put them on the gallery with the updates I made, then I am accused of stealing even though I give credit to the original creator.
  • BreezyBlue022BreezyBlue022 Posts: 126 Member
    I definitely tweak the interiors of the builds I download. I like a medium amount of clutter and I respect simmers that like lots of clutter, but sometimes I need to adjust it to my liking.
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    I really wish that the things I redo that I could put them on the gallery so when I have to redo the game or as I am going to redo my computer to an SSD then I could put them back in. I have lost more sims/houses because there is no place to keep them safe. If I re-install the sims then I lose my library. If I put them on the gallery with the updates I made, then I am accused of stealing even though I give credit to the original creator.

You could just save them to your computer and not upload to the gallery.

I don't usually download anything, I mostly build my own. But I often wonder about the life and the story that unfolds with my builds and what changes are made. I'd love to see what people do with my builds.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I don't do a lot of residential building, and most of the time, I like to just get right to playing. So I find it easier to go on the Gallery and find a nice house that I can tweak the plum out of over time. :#

A couple of examples of me tweaking and renovating my Sims' houses over time are these:

This is the first house that my Sims ever lived in, in the save that I made back when GT was released; 16.5k Garden Tudor, created by TheOakSpade.
    Fowler%20House%201.jpg
    I imagined that it burned down, so the brother and sister that lived there went elsewhere. But "years" down the road, the brother, Austin Fowler, returned with his fiancé, and they rebuilt the house together. This is it now, and they live there with their two growing children. I redid the entire interior and added a basement.
    Fowler%20House%202.jpg
    Fowler%20House%203.jpg

This next one, I unfortunately couldn't track down the original creator of. (They're not even in the tag upon trying to save the lot anymore.) I also had never originally downloaded this build, but rather just placed it. But thanks to memory and screenshots, I was able to rebuild the house the best I could from when I first started using it.
    I placed this house when I found a randomly generated townie that I really liked and wanted to play; his name was Tory Frost and he was a Mixologist. I moved him in here, because it was perfect for a single Sim who didn't have a whole lot of Simoleons.
    Frost%20House%201.jpg
    Now after getting married (to the sister of Austin Fowler, Addison :p ) and having 4 kids, the house has transformed into a full-blown family house that looks like this:
    10-18-16_11-25-11nbspPM.png
    Frost%20House%202.jpg
    Frost%20House%203.jpg
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I actually want to go around the map and tweak each of the premades, tbh. I don't know why. I don't find them all that ugly or anything. I just want to add my personal touch and/or make sure necessary things are there, lol. I enjoy putting my own builds up on the gallery but I don't really download any because people like to use CC, mods, and MOO and any of those can mess with builds.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited October 2016
    @TheGoodOldGamer I actually do that on each of my new save games. I love to build though so I usually do more than just redecorate...I tend to knock down walls, add stories and basements, pools...etc. I try not to alter other simmer's creations too much other than decoration or colors because even though I'd NEVER re-upload someone's creation I feel guilty for changing their hard work. :P But I have posted a lot of my own builds. Its one of the things I love the most about TS4.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Yes, I almost always tweak my downloads. I'm neither good at nor interested in building. What I'm looking for are nice shells with interesting landscaping, the kind of stuff I do not have patience for to do myself. Then I arrange interior walls, furniture and clutter to fit my playstyle. Ever since the original sims sinks are usually the first thing to go...
  • IvySims15IvySims15 Posts: 31 Member
    I never tweak houses that I download. I think it adds a little bit of character having the house designed in a way I never would have designed it.

I can't say the same for the house I upload though. I hope people change the interiors since I mostly use the premade designs. I get so into building, I'm too pooped to really decorate.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    I tweak houses and venues that I download, and save them to my library once they are how I want them.

Sometimes I tweak them quite heavily, other times it's minor.

I suck at interesting building shapes and layouts, so I mainly download for that, and redecorate how I want.
  • CourtLuvesSimsCourtLuvesSims Posts: 54 Member
    Minor tweaks. I look for houses that will already match my tastes. Once on the lot I look at each room and ascertain how much time it would take me to tweak it to my liking. If it's going to take a while I just move on to something more suitable.
    I think once I uploaded a lot and shared it, it's no longer mine, so simmers can do as they wish, and I've had a few and I mean one or two simmers download a few of my lots. I would love to see what they do with them and would love to know how the buildings changed over time of game play.
    funny how we have different views of someone else's designs. if I really like the download after I have tweaked it I'll upload it to my gallery, just for me. as I wouldn't want someone saying that I stole it. how can I steal something that was put up to be used. :o
    @DevilNDisguise they are brilliant and so pretty. The first one reminds me of a real house in Ipswich England called Christ church mansion. go look at it http://www.cimuseums.org.uk/Christchurch-Mansion
    my hubby and I used to visit it regularly. it was and is open to the public.
    love your second house to.
    why should someone get mad if we upload a re designed house or lot that they originally made. surely once its been changed the new updated version is ours and we should be able to share it without someone saying we stole it.
    I think once I uploaded a lot and shared it, it's no longer mine, so simmers can do as they wish, and I've had a few and I mean one or two simmers download a few of my lots. I would love to see what they do with them and would love to know how the buildings changed over time of game play.
    funny how we have different views of someone else's designs. if I really like the download after I have tweaked it I'll upload it to my gallery, just for me. as I wouldn't want someone saying that I stole it. how can I steal something that was put up to be used. :o
    @DevilNDisguise they are brilliant and so pretty. The first one reminds me of a real house in Ipswich England called Christ church mansion. go look at it http://www.cimuseums.org.uk/Christchurch-Mansion
    why should someone get mad if we upload a re designed house or lot that they originally made. surely once its been changed the new updated version is ours and we should be able to share it without someone saying we stole it.

This is exactly what I mean. I have seen some posts that claim that it is stealing to put things in your gallery that are not made exclusively by you. I want to be able to put things that I changed there to keep them for future use. I guess I can put them on my computer somewhere else to use them, but really my gallery is sort of my saving place, as my library goes away if I have to re-do. I always give credit to the original poster and explain what I changed. I feel as you do, once you put them on the gallery you are giving them away to someone else to use. I really like to go into the gallery get the sims I like and take off all the cc and put in the stuff that is in game. I have nothing against cc and I do use it, but I do like to have either my own cc that I have collected or the game stuff on my sims. We are not charging for the stuff in the gallery it is free for the taking. If it were copyrighted then that is different. It is not copyrighted and it belongs to EA once it goes on the gallery, and EA does not seem to care if we change it and redo it. As you feel I am using it, I am not claiming to have made it, it is not copyrighted, so I feel I am good. I may just go ahead and put my favorite ones on the gallery and let the chips fall where they may!
  • shadowiciashadowicia Posts: 591 Member
    edited October 2016

This is exactly what I mean. I have seen some posts that claim that it is stealing to put things in your gallery that are not made exclusively by you. I want to be able to put things that I changed there to keep them for future use. I guess I can put them on my computer somewhere else to use them, but really my gallery is sort of my saving place, as my library goes away if I have to re-do. I always give credit to the original poster and explain what I changed. I feel as you do, once you put them on the gallery you are giving them away to someone else to use. I really like to go into the gallery get the sims I like and take off all the cc and put in the stuff that is in game. I have nothing against cc and I do use it, but I do like to have either my own cc that I have collected or the game stuff on my sims. We are not charging for the stuff in the gallery it is free for the taking. If it were copyrighted then that is different. It is not copyrighted and it belongs to EA once it goes on the gallery, and EA does not seem to care if we change it and redo it. As you feel I am using it, I am not claiming to have made it, it is not copyrighted, so I feel I am good. I may just go ahead and put my favorite ones on the gallery and let the chips fall where they may!

I also agree, why I NEVER share my Sims on the gallery because my Sims are all special to me.
    edited October 2016
    shadowicia wrote: »

I also agree, why I NEVER share my Sims on the gallery because my Sims are all special to me.

Good idea not to share them if you feel that they are not "yours" once you share them. (I respect that and you help me to not feel like a leper for redoing them, thanks for that ) Do you feel it would be stealing to give credit to the original creator when you change the sim? I make quilts and I sometimes use the traditional patterns that were passed down from generations, but the way I put the patterns together are my creation, and in that vain I say they are mine. Just like the stuff on the gallery, most of the sims have the same facial features for the different shapes of the face and the options that we have, changing them around to your "pattern" seems the same to me.
  • shadowiciashadowicia Posts: 591 Member
    shadowicia wrote: »

Good idea not to share them if you feel that they are not "yours" once you share them. (I respect that and you help me to not feel like a leper for redoing them, thanks for that ) Do you feel it would be stealing to give credit to the original creator when you change the sim? I make quilts and I sometimes use the traditional patterns that were passed down from generations, but the way I put the patterns together are my creation, and in that vain I say they are mine. Just like the stuff on the gallery, most of the sims have the same facial features for the different shapes of the face and the options that we have, changing them around to your "pattern" seems the same to me.

No, I don't feel it is stealing if you change a sim. Once it's on the gallery you give people a right to do what they'd like with the Sim. That's how I view it anyways. If I did post a Sim on the gallery, I would be cool with people doing whatever they want with that Sim.
    edited October 2016
    when putting sims on the gallery they are only copies. Like a photo copy machine, and the copy can be downloaded many times. once we download them into our game and tweak them then that sim in our game is ours, any sim we download into our game is ours. and if we like the tweak when we upload the sim it s a different sim then we downloaded because it has been tweaked. It is no longer the original. I do a lot of crochet and although I may start to follow a pattern or an idea I always tweak it to what I personally like, now if I sold something I made I may say the original designer was so and so. but I don't have to say anything, because it has been changed it is no longer the original pattern. I think its the same with the sims.

If simmers feel an attachment to their sims or their builds then they shouldn't upload them.
  • dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    I often download stuff from the gallery (especially public places, I'm terrible at making those). The first thing I do is changing the beds and the bathroom to CC. It's something I always do even when it's completely unnecessary.