Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Willingly Writing Reading Circle (On Hiatus)

Comments

• Simcraft81Simcraft81 Posts: 499 Member
    edited October 2016
    @AdamsEve1231 @Eowyn @Julyvee94 @xJojox @JLBDreamer Welcome to discuss: @Sourocha @xshear @Bloudwed @Irishsong @mastressalita @CathyTea

Sims%2BForums%2BDiscussion%2BAd%2BSim%2BStory.jpg

Discussion Contains Spoilers
    In a world of Genies, Ghosts, Fairies, Vampires, zombies, time travel, and Repo guns that suck up appliances, I'd say the sims live extraordinary lives.
    The main character and narrator of 'Sim Story' is aware of this and quickly accepts the fact that his move to sunset valley was a trip back in time. To be clear, he did not know this until he met young Bella so he's lived there for a good while unaware that he's in the past. To him, it's just a new town before Bella shows up from his old neighborhood. 'Sim Story' is an over the top (sim logic) love story. This question was brought up earlier and it seems like a good time to address it. The narrator is a sim version of myself, more or less :) I know I'm not the only simmer who's created himself/herself in a sims game :P lol! That's how he is able to narrate all the stories (except O'Raj's Journal). He's my eyes to this world as well as a character in his own right. Like I said, these stories are based on gameplay. The time warp was inspired by the fact that I had no idea TS3 was a prequel until I saw little Bella roaming around. Lol Michael Bachelor did look a little younger from what I remembered from TS1 but I thought it was a simple redesign of the sim. Since there's an 'Into the Future' expansion pack, time travel worked out perfectly with my story. The Narrator's first and awkward encounter with Emma was based on when I first started playing TS3 and Emma abruptly left the park saying something like a bad date or something...it was so long ago but you get the idea lol. Just ask me about other events based on gameplay. This is just an example of how I write stories. For this discussion I'd like to know how you felt about this story and how you feel about it after reading my thoughts.
    Post edited by Simcraft81 on
  • JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    edited November 2021
    Deleted
    Post edited by JLBDreamer on
  • xJojoxxJojox Posts: 6,878 Member
    I'm still a little behind in such a huge story! lol. I feel bad. I think its gonna take me FOREVER to catch up
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    xJojox wrote: »
    I'm still a little behind in such a huge story! lol. I feel bad. I think its gonna take me FOREVER to catch up

@xJojox Absolutely no rush. I have been writing for over a year on Kass's story so there's loads to read and I'm quite verbose. I appreciate you reading at all. Please take your time. :)
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    JLBDreamer wrote: »
    @AdamsEve1231 Sorry I wasn't around a lot to discuss Kass but I have talked in the other threads a bit about how much I like her story and your writing style. I haven't looked at your Gage spin-off yet but I do like how rich your world is for Kass. I personally don't see doing spin-offs if a character or story is fully realized so I think there is a danger in spinning off too many times around the same characters to get stale. I & S is a good spin-off since its staying true to her character with an interesting setting. Personally, I'm enjoying I & S a little more.

@xJojox, @Eowyn, @Simcraft81@AdamsEve1231 @EOWYN85

Since I'll be finishing Wild Hearts Gen 2 without pictures we can still discuss it here until then if you'd like and then you can pick which story to discuss thereafter. The details are here in this post as to why and how I'm continuing all of my stories. If you'd rather change stories now though its fine. What do you think?

@Eowyn

I never got around to answering these so here it is:

1. How do you organize your writing? This applies to both scripted stories and the game oriented ones.

Well, I use a loose outline in writing where I plan the basic story and note any scenes I want to include when I start a story. I use this outline to keep myself on track and revise it as I need to while the story is being written. Everything else I keep loose and free.

2. How do you work on your character development? For the main(s) and supporting characters.

I think creating and developing characters is my favourite part of writing. The most important part of this development it does it ring true to the traits and personality you've established in that situation. I use a Roleplaying Method in creating in developing my characters since I find it helps me get into their heads and allows their reactions to come naturally. I actually found Roleplaying in online MMORPG to be a real help because what you are essentially learning to do is create a character and improvise their reactions and feelings in unexpected situations. Let me explain how these relate and I use them.

So in Roleplaying with a serious group you have to fill out a character profile that usually includes Age, Sex, Orientation, Job, Personality and Background. You need to have these clear since if someone in roleplaying with you the character isn't changing constantly while you are talking with others. Some groups/people actually make quite an extensive background. Its similar to how in my creative writing classes I was told to write a paragraph on the characters I plan to include but I've found the Roleplaying categories helped me create better characters because those basic tentpoles are what you need as a springboard. These are the basic things that dictate how they will react and if I keep these in mind I can make my characters more believable.

Here is an example of a character profile for a character I've Roleplayed in Star Wars The Old Republic before:

Here is my Imperial Agent.

Species/Race: Chiss
    Name: Mewbi'dh'wia
    Nick Name: Bidhwia
    Date of Birth: BTC 28
    Place of Birth: Csila
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 140
    Hair Color/Style: Deep, glossy black of Medium length coming to her shoulders.
    Eye Color: Red
    Body Appearance: Lean and Muscular. She generally wears light battle armor and keeps her equipment on her person within easy reach at her waist equipped with a stealth generator and portable shield technology. Often she wears a trench coat or cloak to help conceal the gadgets and weaponry on her person from her enemies.
    Profession: Imperial Agent
    Primary Weapon(s): She prefers ranged combat and generally carries a few different blasters and rifles. Among these is her special custom. High-powered sniper rifle and a blaster modified to shoot sleep darts.
    Secondary Weapon(s): 2 exploding probe droids and two flash bang grenades. She also carries a vibroblade, which is tucked in her boot, for close combat and quick, stealthy kills.
    Specialties: Covert Information gathering, infiltration and search and destroy missions, including assassinations, often working on her own.
    Personality: She is more one to observe those around herself and always try to think of logical and tactical angels with even those she trust. Mission oriented and focused she is willing to lie or kill if it will help her meet her objective even if the person is a friend or compatriot.

Also, in roleplaying you need to react to big events along with their fall out and how other characters affect them. If you ignore this other Rpers will start to be annoyed with you and avoid you since not being affected tends to be a trait of a Mary Sue. This lesson helps me in developing my characters since I can take the outline and figure their basic character arc ahead of time and figure out what I'm about to write logical and understandable for the character I've established. If I think about writing a character in a situation like an RP, where you can't control the situation you are thrown into, I can make a character more believable in their choices and how they shape them.

Example: One of the most fun RPs I did with Bidhwia was where I was on a mission under a Sith that had a hair trigger temper. The personality difference and dynamic was challenging since as an officer she had to respect his rank but she did defy orders covertly to let the mission succeed but was discovered. I had to lay out her logic to the superior who outranked the sith (who was unfit for command by her standards) and she was excused by the end of the RP. She had a rocky relationship with this sith for awhile but they ended up respecting one another later on.

Simlit is unique in that you also have the AI traits/personality of the Sim you create so I try to include how they act and react in figuring their personalities as well. I tend to include game stuff a lot in my stories (80% to 90% is scripted). Sorry if this was long winded but I thought I had to explain what is was I took away from roleplay in regards to character development since a lot of people aren't familiar with how it works.

@JLBDreamer Huzzah for another TOR fan... and one who plays an imperial agent because I do too. I adore my Imperial agent! I belong to a roleplaying/gaming group actually so I really liked what you said about roleplaying. I'm still fairly new to roleplaying (this year) but I find being a writer and learning how to get in character's heads really helped prepare me for roleplaying. And talking out my roleplaying character with my husband (and sometimes others) beforehand in turn helps me with my writing.

Thanks for what you said about Kass. I am planning to do a long-term series with her, similar to a book series so KCLKF, I&S, and KFLL all flow together, though I'm writing them out of order. Gage's story is set in a completely different "world," well, TS3 world, and goes off on its own tangent to resolve the family thing from KCLKF, but he wasn't featured as prominently in Kass's story and in FRWL, he now gets his own stage. I don't really plan to do that with any of my other characters, other than there's a connection between SIJR and Kass's story.

As far as Wilder Hearts, I'm happy to continue reading/discussing this story and when the time comes, we can pick another one. I read your update post on your blog so I know what's going on. But I'm up for whatever anyone else wants too.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    I have a new I&S post out today!

Lucky Palms, Episode 13, Cholesterol
    While hanging out with her new friend and coworker, Audrey, Kass reads a fortune that sends her into a tailspin regarding a certain someone.

screenshot-205.jpg?w=1075

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @Simcraft81 Thanks for hosting these upcoming two weeks. I haven't forgotten you. I will engage in conversation soon about your stories. Looking forward to it! :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited October 2016
    @Simcraft81 Thanks for hosting these upcoming two weeks. I haven't forgotten you. I will engage in conversation soon about your stories. Looking forward to it! :)

Thanks, @Adamseve1231 I'm looking forward to it as well!
    edited October 2016
    Open for discussion! Looking forward to hear from everyone :)
    @AdamsEve1231 @Eowyn @Julyvee94 @xJojox @JLBDreamer Welcome to discuss: @Sourocha @xshear @Bloudwed @Irishsong @mastressalita @CathyTea

Sims%2BForums%2BDiscussion%2BAd%2BSim%2BStory.jpg

Discussion Contains Spoilers
    In a world of Genies, Ghosts, Fairies, Vampires, zombies, time travel, and Repo guns that suck up appliances, I'd say the sims live extraordinary lives.
    The main character and narrator of 'Sim Story' is aware of this and quickly accepts the fact that his move to sunset valley was a trip back in time. To be clear, he did not know this until he met young Bella so he's lived there for a good while unaware that he's in the past. To him, it's just a new town before Bella shows up from his old neighborhood. 'Sim Story' is an over the top (sim logic) love story. This question was brought up earlier and it seems like a good time to address it. The narrator is a sim version of myself, more or less :) I know I'm not the only simmer who's created himself/herself in a sims game :P lol! That's how he is able to narrate all the stories (except O'Raj's Journal). He's my eyes to this world as well as a character in his own right. Like I said, these stories are based on gameplay. The time warp was inspired by the fact that I had no idea TS3 was a prequel until I saw little Bella roaming around. Lol Michael Bachelor did look a little younger from what I remembered from TS1 but I thought it was a simple redesign of the sim. Since there's an 'Into the Future' expansion pack, time travel worked out perfectly with my story. The Narrator's first and awkward encounter with Emma was based on when I first started playing TS3 and Emma abruptly left the park saying something like a bad date or something...it was so long ago but you get the idea lol. Just ask me about other events based on gameplay. This is just an example of how I write stories. For this discussion I'd like to know how you felt about this story and how you feel about it after reading my thoughts.
    @Simcraft81 I'll put this under spoilers since you did too.
    I like how you created a Sim version of yourself. I think it's always fun to see Simselves in game and story. I certainly am having fun writing my wildly over-the-top childhood story with my Simself.

Does your Simself narrate all the stories, except O'Raj's Journal? I think it's cool how he's omnipresent (or at least it feels like it because how else could he tell everyone's stories?)

I think your "narrator's" relationship with Emma is sweet. I always wondered who my Simself might fall for in game if I let my game take over and don't try to manipulate events. Personally I don't think it's too-over-the-the-top as a love story, but the time travel thing, of course, is a perk that the game lets us play and use that's not available (as of yet) in reality. But that's totally okay. Part of storytelling is escapism into fantastical worlds for the fun of it and to explore our own world and societal constructs and issues on a different level.

Personally, I've always been fascinated with the Bella Bachelor/Goth story. I'm excited that she pops up in your stories since she is featured in my own. I thought Bella's advice to the narrator was sweet and oh so practical - "just talk to her." Wise girl, Bella.

The fact that your Simself narrator recognizes Bella as a young girl and Michael Bachelor is interesting to me. Did your Simself/narrator exist in a different world (a.k.a. another version of The Sims)? This creates the possibility of a story outside the story and a back story that I'd be curious about... for example, how did he travel back in time? What was his prior relationship with the Bachelors/Goths?

Also for clarity's sake, did the narrator date Emma in his previous life or when he mentions Emma is he simply referencing an earlier point in his TS3 existence (like prior to the actual written story, but present in the game)?

You talk about how your stories are game driven. Do you intervene at all or just let everything happen and then write about it?

I actually really liked this story on the first and second read-through. The time travel/warp thing always interests me. I'm looking forward to reading more segments of your narrator's adventures in TS3 and his relationship with Emma and if he becomes the "most skilled Sim."

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited October 2016
    @AdamsEve1231 Thanks for your comments and questions.
    Yes, my 'Simself' has narrated all stories except O'Raj's Journal. For now, I leave the omnipresent theory open for the reader and it's fitting for him to be telling the story since he's based on myself ;)

My 'Simself' existed in TS1 before this TS3 story. He knows the Goths as just his neighbors in TS1. Seeing them as their younger selves in sunset valley is what intrigues 'Simself' and brings them closer as friends.

My 'simself' doesn't know how he went back in time. He simply packed his bags, moved to sunset valley and notices his neighbor from his old town running around 20+yrs younger. All he could come up with is maybe he just walked into a time warp. I made a Card about Sim Story and it's appropriately titled 'Watch your Step' At the end of the story, he's glad to have ended up in the past and wants to stay there with Emma. Most stories about time travel are about the main character getting back to his/her own time but this story is not like that lol.

My 'simself' met Emma at an earlier point in the same game TS3.

Yes, my stories are game driven but sometimes I will intervene when I have an idea. As long as what i'm writing actually happens in the game or based on something that happened. Answering this particular question gave me an idea for this discussion :) I am going to make an Index of events that weren't so straight forward and show what they were based on.
    edited October 2016
  • WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    Oh id love to join haha but i currently have no story but im working on 2 quite big ones and plan to post a pretty relax story in the near future as i work on my 2 big ones
    Hi @WiggleyTuff you're welcome to comment and read our stories until you get yours up and running!
    @WiggleyTuff Oh yes! We would love to have you join and discuss with us, even if you don't have your stories up yet. I'd love to have more regular conversation in our circle. Please feel free to chime in whenever you'd like. We'd love to read your stories when you post in the future too. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @Simcraft81 Thanks for the index/timeline of events. It really helped me.
    Personally I love time travel stories. I think people in time travel stories do obsess over getting back to their original timelines. I'm actually writing a historical fantasy time travel novel, and I've been toying with not letting my character return to their present. What happens and why is this a good thing? I like when others toy with conventional ideas and break molds because that what's makes them interesting and fascinating and fun to read. I look forward to more of your Simself's adventures.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited October 2016
    I wanted to share with our thread that I started a new thread to celebrate SimLit, discuss fan favorites, and how SimLit impacts your life. If you're interested, pop on over here - http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/902912/simlit-celebrations-and-discussions

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    Thanks guys, then id really love to join!:)
    @WiggleyTuff I'll add you to the circle.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @AdamsEve1231 thats great! is your novel idea sim related or something beyond?
    edited October 2016
    @AdamsEve1231 @xJojox @JLBDreamer @Eowyn
    @WiggleyTuff and @Niemalyn97 , there is a link on the card if you want to read and discuss my story for this week :) Welcome aboard!
    Sims%2BStory%2BEvent%2BDisplay%2BSCS.jpg
    @Niemalyn97 will be joining our circle also. Welcome! We are so happy to have you. Please share a bit about yourself and link to your story/stories. :) Also feel free to join in this week's discussion (no pressure) if you like. We are discussing @Simcraft81's Sims Stories for two weeks.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited October 2016
    @Simcraft81 @xJojox @JLBDreamer and @Eowyn Please join me in welcoming our newest members @WiggleyTuff and @Niemalyn97. We'd love for you to share a little bit about yourself and what your story is about and link to your story. Or if you're still in the process of getting a story up, that's okay too.

I also wanted to reiterate that many of us have long stories. Please don't feel pressured to catch up immediately or read everything at once. We're not that kind of circle. In fact, I'd encourage you just to work on the featured story. We feature a story every 2 weeks. This 2 week segment is @Simcraft81's Sims Stories. Please feel free to just read this simmer's awesome stories at your own pace and participate where you can.

Here is our reading schedule:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14914720/#Comment_14914720

Also please feel free to share story/post updates here no matter what story we are discussing.

:) Happy Simming!

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Niemalyn97Niemalyn97 Posts: 76 Member
    Thank you for the warm welcome, @AdamsEve1231! :smile: I'm super excited to be part of this! And I'll go see if I can catch up on the story so that I can participate.

Forums Name: @Niemalyn97
    Author Bio: I'm nineteen and live in the northern United States. Currently, I'm in college to become an accountant. Other than school, I have a lovely boyfriend that I've been with since high school and I spend the rest of my time taking care of my gang of goats. I love farming and anything animal-related. I have goats, chickens, two rabbits, a dog, a cat, and a Betta fish! I am in love with dogs, so I hope to eventually get a herding breed to help me out on the farm and for me to enter in shows. I also would love to have my own little farm, so the goats and chickens aren't just for show. I milk the goats, and am planning on having plenty of goat kids this upcoming year! Anyway, enough about that but as you can probably tell, I can talk about them all day. I got the Sims 3 a few years ago and fell in love with it, especially the Pets expansion. I switched over to Sims 4 when I lost all of my Sims 3 data. I also like to write, and I'm trying to write a story to publish one day.
    Story Overview: The Evermore Legacy
    The Evermore Legacy is basically just legacy after legacy, written according to a predetermined story. Currently it's an Amazon Challenge type of thing, but I think I'll make a legitimate story that isn't a legacy, too. But for now, that's what I have. :smile:
    Well a little about me then; my name is Amanda and im 21 years old(believe it or not xD), study to become a nurse and work part time at a nursing home. Whenever i got time off, i play games or think of stories(ideas for one at least). Im quite a perfectionist so I like to have as much background facts as possible for the story I might write in the future. It gives the story some reality for it, even if I create a back story for a character that might not even stand out much but he or she talk in the way the person does because of his or her past. Which makes one simple story very complex in no time haha but its fun.

Anyways I guess I'm a mix of Harry Potter and Game of Thrones when it comes to writing. I like the easy way to get into a story and how likeable some characters are while I also like to throw in some backstabs, very (un)necessary kills and so on. Its fun to keep your readers on their toes haha.

At the moment I'm planning a story based on the YOTO challenge that Cathy Tea created, ill probably start posting something about it by next week if I manage to get my wordpress to work. I got no patience with things who refuse to work with me and decides to work against me, that's a no no in my life hah. Then I also work on a story based off The Amazon Challenge but since I wa sucha greek mythology geek as a kid, I just HAVE to read more about amazons before I actually do the story so who knows when thatll be out. I also work on a love story thatll sorta based off the Ambrosia Challenge(almost a hint of what might happen o.o) except I'm not bringing in the generation thing into it, at least not now in my plans. Ill prob change my mind like 1million times though. And that story will also take time before ill post it since there are a lot of background stories to create.

If youre interested about something then just ask me or maybe maybe youre a god at WordPress(or goddess, I'm not that picky if I may say so myself) then id really appreciate your help.