Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

the worst thing about City Living - it will sell like hot cakes

mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
I can't help but feel underwhelmed by the expansion. I don't like how festivals are pretty much 99% main game stuff, how apartments are not buildable at all and you can't place them outside the new city and how this is now the 3rd EP to do mostly with adult living and having a good time. Yet if you go to youtube, people are so overjoyed, if you go to reddit, people can't wait and I can't help but feel disappointed.

I'm not blaming anyone for liking the game, however if EA can downsize everything, slow the development down and sell it like hot cakes, what will the next iteration be? Why spend time improving future products, if you can limit them down and still sell them?

Comments

• AndreaTheHeroAndreaTheHero Posts: 578 Member
    If people who genuinely like it buy it and vice versa the development team will be able to gauge if we like the content as much as other content releases. When a release does poorly the team can evaluate what went wrong and where to improve.

Some people disliking packs should be anticipated because of content themes but when the overall community is upset the number of sales should speak for itself, along with the numerous ways we speak to the gurus.

I'm buying because the content interests me but it sounds like a lot of people won't be buying because they're not pleased and that's good for the game honestly. EA needs to step it up or they will lose a lot of their sims fan base. There are still a lot of key elements missing in sims 4 and everyone seems to be feeling it.
  • Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    I can't help but feel underwhelmed by the expansion. I don't like how festivals are pretty much 99% main game stuff, how apartments are not buildable at all and you can't place them outside the new city and how this is now the 3rd EP to do mostly with adult living and having a good time. Yet if you go to youtube, people are so overjoyed, if you go to reddit, people can't wait and I can't help but feel disappointed.

I'm not blaming anyone for liking the game, however if EA can downsize everything, slow the development down and sell it like hot cakes, what will the next iteration be? Why spend time improving future products, if you can limit them down and still sell them?

You should want it to sell like hotcakes since there will not be another sims if this project is discarded. No independent developer can afford the initial investment which is required to begin any project of similar scale so you can forget about competition.

"if EA can downsize everything, slow the development down and sell it like hot cakes, what will the next iteration be?"

This is the only way to survive a recession and you can expect that the next iteration will be revolutionary.
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    If it sells like hot cakes, that's because it gives so many people what they want. It may be underwhelming for you but I've never seen this many people express excitement over a new pack, the last time was when Get Together was released. I don't really see how they're downsizing anything? They're working with what they have, are giving the people content that's been requested and the reason why the base game content is apart of the features in this pack is to expand on those objects/items. They shouldn't just leave base game content to fester when they could improve upon it with packs like they have been doing so far.

I wonder if there's a possibility that they'll pull from other packs as well, at least for the Flea Market -- maybe you can get a good deal on one of the couches in Movie Hangout Stuff or a coffeemaker from Get Together if you have those packs installed. And the flea market could be a good place to get those career rewards from jobs your Sim doesn't hold; in the picture I saw the cocktail glass lamp from the Mixology career, and I think I saw the Hipster Hugger from Tech Guru.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member

In the Live Streams they showed us that children can also do just about everything adults can? karaoke, bubble blowing/kids bubbles, selling crafts with the table for kids/adults, use of other new objects. If you have GT you can make an awesome kids club using the new items. Families living in apartments. basketball. So yes, sims should have a good time with all the above. :p

I do understand how you feel about not being able to build and customize apartments and festivals. I would very much like to customize the festivals. I want to add more stuff. But I do wonder if items from future packs will be added.

Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,414 Member
    I will be one of the first people to buy it and for a few reasons, and the festivals ain't one of them. The return of the food booths, the bubble blower, living in a city environment again, and the CAS which has me the most excited. I can finally create a more realistic version of myself that has natural black hair and wears head scarves and the such.
  • blugar44blugar44 Posts: 229 Member
    I'm definitely buying it because all of the content looks really cool to me... All of it might not cohesively fit into my current playstyle but I guess that's the point of an expansion right; it's expanding the options of what I can do. I'm sure some people who ultimately will end up not enjoying it will also buy it so I guess sales figures aren't the be all and end all of what gauges customer satisfaction. Plus, people who are currently unsatisfied will be itching to buy the EP in an attempt to expand the game anyway like I did with every bit of content that came out in that period of pack drought.

Honestly, I don't personally feel the emptiness of TS4 as much as others do. I definitely felt it with the base game release but slowly and surely, I've been able to play the game for longer stints without being bored.
    It's pretty much synonymous with the feeling I had around this time of TS3's development. When Pets, Seasons, University, Supernatural came out, I was set and I'm sure it'll be the same when similar packs come out in TS4.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I think it will sell very well. I know there are those that are unhappy with this EP but most of those will buy it any way to get features they do like. Plus IMO there aren't that may people who will not buy the game.
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I like hot cakes. Nero do these muffin/teacake things called Panettone, they are like a fruit muffin but you can have them toasted and mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panettone

I get that some people don't like Panettone, but we all have different tastes.

#OffTopicOnTopic
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I'm underwhelmed and I know it will feel empty and there is basically no long-term useful gameplay. Some might argue that the lot traits are a long-lasting thing hit I couldn't care less about those and is really minor. Apartments can't be used in any other world and we can't even build new ones in San Myshuno. Festivals look boring already so I can't see myself taking my Sims to these festivals very often.
    The rest is just nice but basic things, an absolute minimum that should go into any EP. A couple of new traits, some new careers, and a new skill.

However, I know I will be buying it regardless maybe not even discounted, possibly a couple of days after it comes out.
    I guess I'm part of the problem but I can't help it.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I like hot cakes. Nero do these muffin/teacake things called Panettone, they are like a fruit muffin but you can have them toasted and mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panettone

#OffTopicOnTopic

Panettone is soooo delicious!
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member

#OffTopicOnTopic

Panettone is soooo delicious!

It really is! I've made myself want one now. :D
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    I've already posted this but the reality is the EA/Maxis is simply not going to devote the same effort to an EP as that did in the past for the same price. I think if you buy the next two stuff packs and the next game pack along with this EP and then pretend all four purchases are a single EP then you'll feel better about the content- not the price of course but that's the nature of business, finding the spot where the least amount f effort will deliver the greatest return.

At this point I don't consider CL a pack including apartments- just a strange new neighborhood set up- and after backing out that feature and comparing what's left with what was offered via GT it comes out better in the one for one equation. So, I was happy with GT and in the end I most likely will like CL. It just means we'll never have apartments in the way so many of us have wanted them but oh well- that's just builders left out, right? Except I can't wait for the people who typically go looking for builds to flesh out their town and find there's nothing for them too, because the builders couldn't even share the apartments shells they have done themselves to the gallery. But still, it's really just the builder's getting the short end of the stick.

Until Seasons rolls around and can't be patched in to each existing world either... and pets can't be added to the family panel due to culling issues, turning them into something closer to automatons then pets... and supernaturals come (maybe) one to a gamepack and even then probably will be only vampires and witches. So, you know there's a lot of other people's turns coming and everyone get's the family players experience.

That said, I'll probably buy the pack. I can get it on pre-sale, immediately for $30.00- so the equation becomes 2 trips to the movies (with only a soda at the concession stand) or this pack. The equation balances out and I'll most likely get more hours enjoyment from the pack even in it's stunted, half baked form..... then again, I might just watch LGR's review on Halloween and walk away- lol.

• mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited October 2016

You should want it to sell like hotcakes since there will not be another sims if this project is discarded. No independent developer can afford the initial investment which is required to begin any project of similar scale so you can forget about competition.

"if EA can downsize everything, slow the development down and sell it like hot cakes, what will the next iteration be?"

This is the only way to survive a recession and you can expect that the next iteration will be revolutionary.

why would it be? Why not make it even worse that TS4, why not take out even more lifestages, if you can still sell it well? Why even make expansions if people are happy with stuff packs? Where is the incentive for them to improve anything?
    So you think their opinion is wrong? I think City Living looks amazing, are you saying I'm wrong for thinking that way, or does only your opinion matter? Do you think everyone should feel the way do?

No, you're not wrong. However tell me do you geniunly expect to ever see buildable apartments outside of a GP? Or even better, buildable apartments ever, if they can sell you a feature without that freedom to build?
    I'm truly excited about all the new content and features and not at all concerned about reusing existing content in different ways. I think I'm getting enough new stuff to warrant spending $40. As for Sims 5, I don't see that happening any time soon.

that is the thing. You're excited for it and so are many others. Despite the flaws, plenty of sims fans will just gobble it up. So why should the next EP be any better? And why should the next iteration be any fuller of content if they can sell you games with incomplete features?
    The thing is though I honestly don't see it as flawed and incomplete. Yes, for whatever reasons, there are features not included in this version but that doesn't make it incomplete. At least not for me. Bottom line is I'm having fun with Sims 4. That's all that matters to me.

and that is precisely why we will never have a better game.
    edited October 2016
    what you seem to not getting Neia, is the fact that EA will not have a single logical reason to ever do terrain tools, or toddlers, or buildable apartments, if people buy expansions and base game for that matter WITHOUT them. My question is, if we're so happy with how things are now then what can we live without in the next iteration?
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited October 2016
    The thing is though I honestly don't see it as flawed and incomplete. Yes, for whatever reasons, there are features not included in this version but that doesn't make it incomplete. At least not for me. Bottom line is I'm having fun with Sims 4. That's all that matters to me.

and that is precisely why we will never have a better game.
    I believe some feel as you do, CL is like a fishbowl, you cannot go past it unlike other versions. EA/Maxis basically put up a roadblock. In other versions I could take options and spread it around to other areas. Sure CL look interesting until you get tired of being in one area and you want to explore with those same options that are confined to one area.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen