Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Art Commune Reading Circle

Comments

• AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited October 2016
    CathyTea wrote: »
    @friendsfan367 CFT also has much more mature content (at times) than my other stories... and loads of trigger warnings. I feel I should mention that.

trigger warnings? my coffee is working slow today.

Trigger warnings are to let readers know that the chapter might contain content that could be upsetting or disturbing . .. if a reader has issues that trigger them (and who doesn't ? ) trigger warnings can help them choose if they want to read, and to prepare themselves in case they do read.

Red's trigger warnings were life savers for me because rough stuff happens in her story .

I couldn't have explained it better myself. I've delved into some serious topics in my stories like exploitation, abuse, violence, s.ex, etc. I try to post trigger warnings, and I also try to be tasteful with my images and description. I want to be authentic to the story so I don't mind writing something off-putting or uncomfortable (since that's often the point), but I also don't want to be gratuitous. I have my own standards and I've been pushing my own boundaries, allowing myself outside of my comfort zone, but there are certain things I've decided I just won't write, and I'm okay with that.

With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    JLBDreamer wrote: »
    Hi, all. Everyone in my house is feeling better so I'll be stopping in this week.

I wanted to link this excellent video explaining Three Act Writing Structure which is the basic structure I use in my writing a lot.
    Thanks for the link! That video was indeed really good.

InfraGreen wrote: »
    @JLBDreamer: You found it too? I've been a fan of Lindsay Ellis for years. I'd recommend her videos to anyone, even if she mostly focuses on film.
    I like Ellis's work too, though I haven't been following her videos that much lately. I should fix that because she has great videos.

doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    edited November 2021
    Deleted
    Post edited by JLBDreamer on
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    If I don't link these two right, it's because I just woke up.

An Ill-Fated Weeding Out
    We Didn't Start The Fire
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
    I've shared this before elsewhere, but I came across this picture of Gage a week ago and it cracked me up. You can see it over at my Simblr.
    http://livinasimminlife.tumblr.com/post/151718332892/ive-shared-this-before-but-this-is-one-of-my

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @AdamsEve1231: Whenever I get familiar with a pre-made, I always get a little more giddy seeing them in others' games. :smiley: Though not everyone treats them with respect. Poor Gage! Left to the whims of the game's full moon mechanics. :(
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    @AdamsEve1231: Whenever I get familiar with a pre-made, I always get a little more giddy seeing them in others' games. :smiley: Though not everyone treats them with respect. Poor Gage! Left to the whims of the game's full moon mechanics. :(

ayden did a 180 when he married christine. who is a premade. but after 6 kids with elsa they stopped doing anything physical . when he got with christine they had three kids and and the love is still there. its possible i'm not on topic i just got here
    edited October 2016

ayden did a 180 when he married christine. who is a premade. but after 6 kids with elsa they stopped doing anything physical . when he got with christine they had three kids and and the love is still there. its possible i'm not on topic i just got here

@friendsfan367 Oh I think we all love Ayden and Christine so I think it's perfectly fine to share something, even if you're off topic, which btw, you are not. I sort of randomly changed the subject with my random pic of Gage Briody.

@everyone in game, he didn't show up after graduation to hang out with Kass because he was zombified! :p

So speaking of premades, a little off topic, but who is/are your favorite premade/premades to play with or write stories about (TS3 or TS4)?

I've created an entire spinoff about Gage Briody so I'd say he's one of my faves. I enjoyed tweaking Ayesha from Sunset Valley a bit too. I tweaked Brendon Shore a bit, but he is actually a premade by rflong7 in Legacy Island III (custom world that I'm using for KFLL).

I also really like playing Dennis Racket, and I've enjoyed developing Lolly Racket and her unusual relationship with Sinbad Rotter.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    So speaking of premades, a little off topic, but who is/are your favorite premade/premades to play with or write stories about (TS3 or TS4)?

I think my favorite premades (or at least two of them anyway) are obvious, given the names of the stories I have. :p

To be more accurate, the six premades that show up the most in Chronicles are the ones I enjoy playing. Usually though, before I started writing Chronicles, I played them all in separate files. It was when I reinstalled the game that I played them all together.

This is the best picture I have of all of them (since they generally do their own things, they're not all together in one room a lot):
    tumblr_obpjl9MdN11qhags3o7_1280.jpg
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
    edited October 2016
    @JLBDreamer Thanks for sharing the video on Three Act Structure. I tend not to think about my writing in a structured way, which is odd given I outline and plan like crazy, but I'm pretty sporadic and spontaneous and I enjoy including curveballs (even ones I wasn't expecting, like ones TS3 throws me in game). I often write first, ask questions later. Hence I get myself into hopelessly convoluted plot lines and intensely complex characters, which is a fun challenge at times and other times, I'm sure I'm frustrating my readers because I'm frustrated.

I like to read about and hear about people who write more structured and what they use to stay on track and tell the story. It helps me to disentangle my plot knots as I like to call them. I like complicated and complex, but sometimes the simplest answer is the best one. So I'm simplifying some stuff in KFLL right now.

To be honest, I never thought much about the 3 acts of storytelling, although I agreed with her about the disappearing 2nd act, and how there seems to be much longer prologues or first acts than previously seen in movies (or literature for that matter).

I'm a big believer in back story. In order to sympathize with a character, and even potentially empathize, back story is key for me. I want to know why and how, not merely what, when, and where, and the why and how leads to a deeper understanding of "who" the character truly is. I enjoyed her segment on back story.

Now that I think about it - back story introducing a flaw or a desire that leaves the character feeling incomplete - rings so true for me in the stories I write or read. Take just the game TS3 or TS4 for example. Every Sim is given an aspiration or lifetime wish and they set out on a journey to complete it. Now add in all of our stories.

@friendsfan367 wrote about Ayden and Elsa losing their spark and never having time for each other and so Ayden has an affair with Christine and leaves Elsa. He was probably feeling "incomplete" and Christine helped fill a gap in his life. Now, of course, we know that Ayden is better off with Christine and Elsa with Zayden, but we didn't before. And they seem much more free to be themselves.

Look at Annette in @InfraGreen's Eight Cicadas and her demonic origins. I like how her past lends itself to be both a flaw and a strength for her character, and gives way to her desire to fulfill some specific goal that's still a bit in the shadows (at least where I'm at in the reading) and working at the whim of some yet-unknown (again to me) master/mistress/being, etc.

@CathyTea created an entire series of back story for characters in her lovely Three Rivers, and she revealed just enough and weaved some of the characters stories together just enough to leave me wanting more.

I also liked what she said about backstory in terms of setting up the universe, point of attack and inciting incident. I see this in Kass's story. First in KCLKF, Kass is deeply defined and shaped by her father's affair and parent's divorce. Then, this comes to head in Chapter 4 when she reunites with her dad for the first time since he left and he tells her he has a terminal illness (sorry if that was a spoiler for anyone, but I don't think so). EXCES is a subplot in KCLKF and again in KFLL because of these two things.

Again in KFLL, Kass inherits her great-grandmother's home and now she has to figure out what to do with it and who or what is haunting the mansion. Central conflict in both stories (which is really one big story) is the desire to bring more awareness to EXCES and need to stop corrupt-powers-that-be, although another "central" conflict for Kass is figuring out her family's history and her true origins.

I am nowhere near resolving Kass's story since I plan it to be a long-term series, but it was interesting to hear about rest of the Three Act Structure and I'm curious as to those of you who have completed stories if this rings true for you.

And now I've written a monologue and officially introduced yet-another-off-topic-sort-of-on-topic-topic! :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @JLBDreamer Thanks for sharing the video on Three Act Structure. I tend not to think about my writing in a structured way, which is odd given I outline and plan like crazy, but I'm pretty sporadic and spontaneous and I enjoy including curveballs (even ones I wasn't expecting, like ones TS3 throws me in game). I often write first, ask questions later. Hence I get myself into hopelessly convoluted plot lines and intensely complex characters, which is a fun challenge at times and other times, I'm sure I'm frustrating my readers because I'm frustrated.

I like to read about and hear about people who write more structured and what they use to stay on track and tell the story. It helps me to disentangle my plot knots as I like to call them. I like complicated and complex, but sometimes the simplest answer is the best one. So I'm simplifying some stuff in KFLL right now.

To be honest, I never thought much about the 3 acts of storytelling, although I agreed with her about the disappearing 2nd act, and how there seems to be much longer prologues or first acts than previously seen in movies (or literature for that matter).

I'm a big believer in back story. In order to sympathize with a character, and even potentially empathize, back story is key for me. I want to know why and how, not merely what, when, and where, and the why and how leads to a deeper understanding of "who" the character truly is. I enjoyed her segment on back story.

Now that I think about it - back story introducing a flaw or a desire that leaves the character feeling incomplete - rings so true for me in the stories I write or read. Take just the game TS3 or TS4 for example. Every Sim is given an aspiration or lifetime wish and they set out on a journey to complete it. Now add in all of our stories.

@friendsfan367 wrote about Ayden and Elsa losing their spark and never having time for each other and so Ayden has an affair with Christine and leaves Elsa. He was probably feeling "incomplete" and Christine helped fill a gap in his life. Now, of course, we know that Ayden is better off with Christine and Elsa with Zayden, but we didn't before. And they seem much more free to be themselves.

Look at Annette in @InfraGreen's Eight Cicadas and her demonic origins. I like how her past lends itself to be both a flaw and a strength for her character, and gives way to her desire to fulfill some specific goal that's still a bit in the shadows (at least where I'm at in the reading) and working at the whim of some yet-unknown (again to me) master/mistress/being, etc.

@CathyTea created an entire series of back story for characters in her lovely Three Rivers, and she revealed just enough and weaved some of the characters stories together just enough to leave me wanting more.

I also liked what she said about backstory in terms of setting up the universe, point of attack and inciting incident. I see this in Kass's story. First in KCLKF, Kass is deeply defined and shaped by her father's affair and parent's divorce. Then, this comes to head in Chapter 4 when she reunites with her dad for the first time since he left and he tells her he has a terminal illness (sorry if that was a spoiler for anyone, but I don't think so). EXCES is a subplot in KCLKF and again in KFLL because of these two things.

Again in KFLL, Kass inherits her great-grandmother's home and now she has to figure out what to do with it and who or what is haunting the mansion. Central conflict in both stories (which is really one big story) is the desire to bring more awareness to EXCES and need to stop corrupt-powers-that-be, although another "central" conflict for Kass is figuring out her family's history and her true origins.

I am nowhere near resolving Kass's story since I plan it to be a long-term series, but it was interesting to hear about rest of the Three Act Structure and I'm curious as to those of you who have completed stories if this rings true for you.

thank you for the nice things you said. since ayden decied to shock me i didn't have time for a backstory but i try and do little glimpses in to the past.
    I have a new I&S post today!

Lucky Palms, Episode 13, Cholesterol

Kass spends an evening with her friend and co-worker, Audrey only to have a fortune...er... cookie... interrupt her peace of mind.

screenshot-300.jpg?w=1075

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    rednenemon wrote: »

I think my favorite premades (or at least two of them anyway) are obvious, given the names of the stories I have. :p

To be more accurate, the six premades that show up the most in Chronicles are the ones I enjoy playing. Usually though, before I started writing Chronicles, I played them all in separate files. It was when I reinstalled the game that I played them all together.

This is the best picture I have of all of them (since they generally do their own things, they're not all together in one room a lot):
    tumblr_obpjl9MdN11qhags3o7_1280.jpg

@rednenemon I think at least 3 of us enjoy writing the Rackets. ;)

Is that Blaise in the picture?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest

thank you for the nice things you said. since ayden decied to shock me i didn't have time for a backstory but i try and do little glimpses in to the past.

actually i shared that here i forgot to put it in the story. lol.
    @AdamsEve1231 I'm not a consciously structured writer either. Well, I kind of am, but the only "structure" I consciously follow is; "Whatever makes the story work". I do think a lot about pacing and the meaning/function of significant events and such, and different story structures do intrigue me and I like to know about them, because I know that sometimes it can help to think about those with my own writing too.

But when I write, I'm more focused on the characters, the flow, the words, symbolism, feelings, dialogue, and yes, also backstory. I really like it when stories can organically implement tons of world-building into the story - I think you do this very well, and I keep being constantly impressed by your rich and detailed worlds.

As for the premades-question... I can't say. I don't play premades a lot, because I'm too in love with character creation and in a way I feel like I wouldn't be able to tell the premades' stories all that well. But I did enjoy playing the Shallows for the brief time I played them for the pics in Tango. And while writing Tango, I've been playing a lot of the Grisbys too, and I'm starting to like them a lot.
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
    @AdamsEve1231 I'm not a consciously structured writer either. Well, I kind of am, but the only "structure" I consciously follow is; "Whatever makes the story work". I do think a lot about pacing and the meaning/function of significant events and such, and different story structures do intrigue me and I like to know about them, because I know that sometimes it can help to think about those with my own writing too.

But when I write, I'm more focused on the characters, the flow, the words, symbolism, feelings, dialogue, and yes, also backstory. I really like it when stories can organically implement tons of world-building into the story - I think you do this very well, and I keep being constantly impressed by your rich and detailed worlds.

As for the premades-question... I can't say. I don't play premades a lot, because I'm too in love with character creation and in a way I feel like I wouldn't be able to tell the premades' stories all that well. But I did enjoy playing the Shallows for the brief time I played them for the pics in Tango. And while writing Tango, I've been playing a lot of the Grisbys too, and I'm starting to like them a lot.

you should try premades just for fun. ayden found 2 he liked and their so differnt from each other.

opps i think i accidently promoted cheating.

you should try premades just for fun. ayden found 2 he liked and their so differnt from each other.
    I have tried them occasionally. It's fun, for a while, but somehow I never get nearly as invested as I would with my own Sims (I just start feeling like I'm not the right person to tell/play the premades' stories whenever I play them). Maybe I will try them more at some point, though. And I do like using premades as side-characters and I try to respect their personalities and do them justice whenever I do. I also like to see my Sims befriend or build other relationships with them.

My Sims stories:

I have tried them occasionally. It's fun, for a while, but somehow I never get nearly as invested as I would with my own Sims (I just start feeling like I'm not the right person to tell/play the premades' stories whenever I play them). Maybe I will try them more at some point, though. And I do like using premades as side-characters and I try to respect their personalities and do them justice whenever I do. I also like to see my Sims befriend or build other relationships with them.

i only use them as story charaters i have yet to start playing Llike you i prefer my own. noel and lauren were both mine.ayden was game generated but the messes he gets himself in are me.
    Today I posted a new chapter of Letters from Lizzie. This is my wildly fictional Simself story with minor ties to my real childhood and life. I haven't posted in a long time so for those of you who aren't familiar with the story, you can read all about it here. Today Lizzie writes a letter to her pen pal, Arpeggio, a blue alien living on Luna, the moon of Simterra (my Simworld). In this letter, Lizzie writes more about her little brother and how she tries to cheer him up.

Letter #2: Baked With Love

screenshot-180.jpg

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest