Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can you use gimp for making cc?

I'm interested in creating some of my cc, but I've read that you need to have photoshop or gimp for dds files. I also hear that gimp is incredibly inferior to photoshop, but I don't really want to pay for a photoshop subscription right now. Is it possible to make cc with gimp, or will its quality suffer? Do you know of any cc creators who use gimp?

Thanks!

Comments

• egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    Try paint.net instead, it's WAY easier. And if you aren't already signed up at S4S, do that... there are tutorials there for anything to do with cc. Several for using Gimp, Photoshop, Paint.net... etc. Tons of wonderful links at the site. :)
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Hello
    There are many simmers that use gimp when creating cc using Sims 4 Studio. This is a link to a tutorial using gimp
    https://simsinthewoods.wordpress.com/2015/09/17/how-to-recolour-a-sims-4-cas-item/

This is a link to tutorial on the Sims 4 studio site
    http://sims4studio.com/thread/662/index-studio-tutorials-online-manual

You need to register on the site to access the download page for Sims 4 Studio tool and to download the tool, but it is free,
  • _orangemittens__orangemittens_ Posts: 512 Member
    If you are using Sims 4 Studio you do not need to use the .dds format. Sims 4 Studio will accept .png images for CAS, objects, and build mode items. Gimp, Photoshop, and Paint.net are all able to work with the .png format with no extra plugins which makes it a much easier format for creators to work with. :)
  • Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    I'm interested in creating some of my cc, but I've read that you need to have photoshop or gimp for dds files. I also hear that gimp is incredibly inferior to photoshop, but I don't really want to pay for a photoshop subscription right now. Is it possible to make cc with gimp, or will its quality suffer? Do you know of any cc creators who use gimp?

Thanks!

GIMP and Photoshop, functionality-wise, are 99% identical. Having a formal education in Photoshop, I find GIMP to be a bit illogical and cumbersome at times - but like with any program, if you learn to use it to start with, I'm sure it's perfect. I have several friends who use GIMP with no problem.

Quality won't suffer because of GIMP - the quality of creations depends on the creators' skill and attention to detail, it has absolutely nothing to do with programs used. Back when I was creating for TS2, I had access to Maya at school (at the time, it was about $7k) and I had friends using Milkshape ($25 at the time) who could work circles around me. The software you use means nothing in and of itself compared to how you use that software. :)

+1 for PNG, as well. I switched from DDS to PNG back when I was using Windows 7 just because Windows Explorer wouldn't show me a DDS thumbnail. (Fixed with Windows 10, you can now see a DDS thumbnail.) I've also found that PNGs compress wonderfully - programs like PNG Gauntlet or websites like TinyPNG can often reduce my textures by as much as 40-60% in file size without any rapidly noticeable loss in quality versus saving directly to DDS.
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • pamy1124pamy1124 Posts: 525 Member
    Is gimp free or do you have to pay for it? I know paint.net is free but there aren't really any tutorials using it. I wanna make custom hair colors but can't afford photoshop.
    tumblr_mepseko5hO1r4j4oj.gif
  • _orangemittens__orangemittens_ Posts: 512 Member
    GIMP is free. There are tutorials in the Sims 4 Studio tutorials section showing how to use GIMP, Paint.net, and Photoshop. :)
  • pamy1124pamy1124 Posts: 525 Member
    GIMP is free. There are tutorials in the Sims 4 Studio tutorials section showing how to use GIMP, Paint.net, and Photoshop. :)

Ok, thank you :smile:
    tumblr_mepseko5hO1r4j4oj.gif
  • CcltnssmhnCcltnssmhn Posts: 1 New Member
    > @_orangemittens_ said:
    > If you are using Sims 4 Studio you do not need to use the .dds format. Sims 4 Studio will accept .png images for CAS, objects, and build mode items. Gimp, Photoshop, and Paint.net are all able to work with the .png format with no extra plugins which makes it a much easier format for creators to work with. :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH <3 <3 I have been trying for *ages* trying to make GIMP make it .dds format but I couldn't no matter what I did. This put me off many times from trying to create my own cc as it wouldn't work. I had no idea that S4S would accept PNG format, now it is finally working. Thank you!
  • Eurostar1127Eurostar1127 Posts: 84 Member
    Probably not related but had to post here. Cant start my own discussions. I use Corel PSPx8 to create my textures, and have the Nvidia DDS plugins. . And as well as the main 'diffuse' texture, I can create my own 'specular' texture for glossiness. However, I am finding the 'normal' bump textures more chalenging. The Nvidia plugin does create a bump map from the main texture after after cropping down to 1024x1024, and then you have to 'RGB and grey' the texture. After loading in Studio and saving the package, in Sims4 the bump map is still not showing. As yet I can not work out why? Any advice, please.
    Long blond haired slim androgynous looking bi boy from London UK.
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,772 Member
    Probably not related but had to post here. Cant start my own discussions. I use Corel PSPx8 to create my textures, and have the Nvidia DDS plugins. . And as well as the main 'diffuse' texture, I can create my own 'specular' texture for glossiness. However, I am finding the 'normal' bump textures more chalenging. The Nvidia plugin does create a bump map from the main texture after after cropping down to 1024x1024, and then you have to 'RGB and grey' the texture. After loading in Studio and saving the package, in Sims4 the bump map is still not showing. As yet I can not work out why? Any advice, please.

You may want to ask this over at Sims 4 Studio, they have a creator help section.
  • BonxieBonxie Posts: 5,694 Member
    edited January 2020

I use Corel Photopaint X8 from the Corel Draw X8 home and student edition to create CC and Recolours, including the specular and bump maps. Idk whether it's the same than your "PSPx8", but I think so. I'm using Photopaint since CorelDraw 5, so I don't plan to change to any other tool, as long as I'm able to legally get a working release of it. I don't need a special DDS plugin because I'm using the png format together with S4S.

I don't have any issues with these tools and formats. But for some meshes and categories I also had troubles, for example with boots, where the bump map is only applied to the foot section and not to the bootleg, or also with gloves where a bump map seems not to work at all. But I guess this behavior is caused by certain restrictions from the game setup and not from a particular error. I also found out, that you can use a bump map with jewelry, if you use the bump map size 1024 x 2048. I always thought that this resolution is not allowed for bump maps, untill I successfully tried it.

Regarding your question to change game time (https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/970829/normal-time), afaik it's only possible with mods. I don't know your general opinion regarding mods; it's up to you to decide whether to use them or not. MCCC can slow down or speed up standard game time, but be warned: it also could cause trouble because it's not supported by the game. At least you will get some strange lastException error messges now and then. But you could also end up with a corrupted and unplayable save in worst case.
    Bonxie: Great Skua, stercorarius skua. Meet me on Fair Isle.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Corel puts out Paintshop Pro for less than 70 bucks. It's the same as Photoshop in the sense it does all the things you want to do with Photoshop for creating CC.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I am very new to creating cc, and I was able to make what I needed using Gimp.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley: