Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can I move my sims to another computer?

Comments

• xKaileenSimsxxKaileenSimsx Posts: 2 New Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    Absolutely! I've done it twice already. The folders you need to copy over are these:

My Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims4 > Tray (your Library houses and Sims)
    My Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims4 > Saves (your savegames)

How do you get the tray and saves into the other computer though?

Hello @xKaileenSimsx
    Make a copy of your " tray" and " saves" folder that are on the first computer, and place them on an external drive or flash drive.
    Then on your other computer, install origin, log in to origin and download/install the sims 4 game. Play the game once to generate a sims 4 folder. Then replace the new " tray " and " save" folders that are in the new sims 4 folder, with a copy of those same folders that are on your external drive.

Okay, thank you!
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Absolutely! I've done it twice already. The folders you need to copy over are these:

My Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims4 > Tray (your Library houses and Sims)

Hello @xKaileenSimsx
    Make a copy of your " tray" and " saves" folder that are on the first computer, and place them on an external drive or flash drive.
    Then on your other computer, install origin, log in to origin and download/install the sims 4 game. Play the game once to generate a sims 4 folder. Then replace the new " tray " and " save" folders that are in the new sims 4 folder, with a copy of those same folders that are on your external drive.

Okay, thank you!

You're welcome :)
  • CatrixiahCatrixiah Posts: 78 Member
    I have a slightly different question; I have been offered the use of another laptop to try the game on to see exactly what I need to do to my own laptop to improve its performance. My question is; when I load the game on the loan computer and log into origin to try it out, what will happen (if anything) to the game on my own computer? I have made a back up save of the save file and tray onto an external hard drive for when my own machine goes in for upgrade, just in case the memory is lost in the process.
    Has anyone got any other advise or things I should be aware of before I get started with the whole business?
    edited October 2016
    Catrixiah wrote: »
    I have a slightly different question; I have been offered the use of another laptop to try the game on to see exactly what I need to do to my own laptop to improve its performance. My question is; when I load the game on the loan computer and log into origin to try it out, what will happen (if anything) to the game on my own computer? I have made a back up save of the save file and tray onto an external hard drive for when my own machine goes in for upgrade, just in case the memory is lost in the process.
    Has anyone got any other advise or things I should be aware of before I get started with the whole business?

Hello @Catrixiah
    When you play your game on the other computer, it will not effect your games on the first computer. They are separate , and save files are only stored on the computer which you are playing the game on. They aren't stored in the cloud. By logging into origin on the other computer, your save files won't automatically be on the second computer.
    If you are wanting to play the same save game and have the items that are in your library from the first computer on the second computer, you will need to make a copy of the saves and tray folders from the first computer, and place them in the documents -electronic arts -sims 4 folder on the second computer. These two folders will need to replace the folders that have the same name in the sims 4 folder on the 2nd computer.
    Before your computer goes in to be upgraded, make a backup copy of your documents -electronic arts -sims 4 folder, and place it on an external drive.
    Hi @rosemow, thanks for the info. Do you mean I should make a copy of the entire Sims4 folder as it is on my own computer, will the two sub-folders not be enough?
    Hi @rosemow, thanks for the info. Do you mean I should make a copy of the entire Sims4 folder as it is on my own computer, will the two sub-folders not be enough?

Hello
    The tray and saves folders would be enough. You may also though like to make a copy of your screenshots folder , your custom music folder if you have custom music in it and mods folder if you use cc/mods.
    This is a guide to backups
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/backups/

Hello
    The tray and saves folders would be enough. You may also though like to make a copy of your screenshots folder , your custom music folder if you have custom music in it and mods folder if you use cc/mods.

Thank you, I have just one mod and I've made a backup copy of it on to the external hard drive as well (I love that mod :) ). Have a nice day/night.

Hello

Thank you, I have just one mod and I've made a backup copy of it on to the external hard drive as well (I love that mod :) ). Have a nice day/night.

You're welcome :) I hope that you have a very nice day /night also.
  • TriadGoonMarzTriadGoonMarz Posts: 1 New Member
    larakia13 wrote: »
    Hi @rosemow
    Yeah I did. I started the game up once to have it create a new Sims 4 folder. Then I deleted the saves and Tray folders in the Sims 4 folder and replaced them with the saves and Tray folders in my back up

Hello @larakia13
    Launch the game. Start a new save game. Create a random sim and play the game for a little while. Then save the game. Come out of the game completely. Then go back in again, go to the load button ( that has the floppy disc symbol ) which should now be there, press the load button and see if you can load your other save files now.

What if they dont show up in the load?
    larakia13 wrote: »
    Hi @rosemow
    Yeah I did. I started the game up once to have it create a new Sims 4 folder. Then I deleted the saves and Tray folders in the Sims 4 folder and replaced them with the saves and Tray folders in my back up

Hello @larakia13
    Launch the game. Start a new save game. Create a random sim and play the game for a little while. Then save the game. Come out of the game completely. Then go back in again, go to the load button ( that has the floppy disc symbol ) which should now be there, press the load button and see if you can load your other save files now.

What if they dont show up in the load?

Hello
    You need to take out the new saves and tray folder that was in the new sims 4 folder that was generated when you played the game the first time on your new computer, and place your old saves and tray folders there instead. Copy the old folders from wherever you stored them , and place them into the new sims 4 folder. The old folders need to replace the new folders of the same name.
  • Ptirat26Ptirat26 Posts: 4 New Member
    Hello,
    It's kinda hard for me to write in english (and i'm on my phone. In the train :v.) But I dont find any information in my own language so ... here i am!

I've been playing sims 4 on two different computer. A lot, on the two of them. Some big families that have split into several little houses. But, here's the thing. I wish i could make the families of computer 1 meet those of the computer2. But they are too many now, and i can't regroup all the member of a same legacy in only one family and put it in the bank (load bank?).

When I load that legacy cut in little parts, their genealogy is broken. In the place of the parents, the tree shows anonymous faces. And i can't change the parenting with testingcheats and cas.fulleditmode. i can't replace the two anonymous parents, in the head of the game, they really seems to exist...

(I hope it is comprehensible... :x )

Anyway, is there some cheats to clear a family tree? So i could reconstruct it manually. Or to put the number of sims we want in a single family, more than 8 ?(I think it's the limit)
    Or maybe something simpler ?

Thanks a lot :)! And sorry for my english. ..
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    You can edit family tree/relationships with MC Command Center. It's been a bit since I've messed with editing family trees and sims relationships, but @egwarhammer would know better what it can do and how to do it. :)
    p8L4V6v.png
    Hello
    MC Command Center mod may be able to help you. The link to download the mod is
    http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=551680

This link thread provides help for the MC Command Center Mod. It would be good to post about your issues there, and there are helpful simmers there that will help you.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/837115/need-help-with-mc-command-center-ask-here#latest/

• Ptirat26Ptirat26 Posts: 4 New Member
    Oh, thanks a lot! You're really fast : p !
    I'm finally home, I will test that mod right now! Thanks again!
    I'll tell you my journey ; ) !
    You're welcome :) It would be good to post about what you would like to do in your game, on the thread that I linked to. Simmers there will offer advice how to do it using the mod.
  • CíalaCíala Posts: 5 New Member

Hello @xKaileenSimsx

wait sorry so how exactly do you like activate the game do you go into the 'load games' part or wa. soz im a bit slow aha
    Cíala wrote: »

Hello @xKaileenSimsx

wait sorry so how exactly do you like activate the game do you go into the 'load games' part or wa. soz im a bit slow aha

Hello
    After first installing the game and wanting to generate a new sims 4 folder, launch the game, start a new game , play for a little while then exit the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated.
  • DalfreyDalfrey Posts: 1 New Member
    I have a similar problem! I just wanted to know if I bought Sims 4 on one laptop then bought a new one, would I have to buy Sims again?
    Dalfrey wrote: »
    I have a similar problem! I just wanted to know if I bought Sims 4 on one laptop then bought a new one, would I have to buy Sims again?

Hello @Dalfrey
    You won't need to buy Sims 4 again.
    Your sims 4 game is linked to your origin account. When you get your new computer, dowload and install Origin onto it. Then log into origin on your new computer using the same account that you used to register the game and packs on the old computer , then click on the Games Library section, click on the sims 4 picture, then download/install it there. Then click the extra content button that is half way down the page. That will take you to a screen that shows you what game packs, stuff packs and eps you own. You can then download/install them there.

Make a copy of your sims 4 folder on your old computer that is in Documents > Electronic Arts > ( then The Sims 4 folder is there ) and place it on an external drive.
    Then after installing the sims 4 game onto the new computer, play it once to generate a new sims 4 folder.
    In your sims 4 folder are your saves folder ( contains your save games) and the tray folder ( which contains your lots and households that you have uploaded to your library or have downloaded from the community gallery ) Replace the saves, tray, mods, custom music and screenshots folders that are in the new sims 4 folder with the same folders that are in the sims 4 folder on your external drive. You will then have your old save games and creations etc on your new computer.

• SirideanSiridean Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi, I'm on Mac not Windows. I'm not finding the files or folders. Are they marked differently for Mac?
    edited April 2017
    Siridean wrote: »
    Hi, I'm on Mac not Windows. I'm not finding the files or folders. Are they marked differently for Mac?

Hello @Siridean
    You need to have played the game once for the sims 4 folder to appear.
    Your sim 4 folder should be in Documents -electronic arts - then the sims 4 folder is there. It is the same for Mac as it is for Windows.
    If you still have issues finding the folder /files , you may like to post on a thread in the Mac section of the forums, and Mac simmers may be able to assist you
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-on-mac-discussions
  • Celleste95Celleste95 Posts: 15 Member
    Hello, I come up with another "brilliant" question. Is it possible for me to move TS4 from laptop 1 to laptop 2 via external memory drive thingy (whatever it's called)? I've played A LOT and changed 90% of the maps and I have dozens of households, but I haven't saved all of them to the gallery/library and doing that would take me a week at least (laptop 1 is a poor i3 hp and it's really slow). If anyone knows any possible way for me to move everything to laptop 2 without losing any progress or days of my life, please help me out! :'( I'll owe you forever.
    Celleste95 wrote: »
    Hello, I come up with another "brilliant" question. Is it possible for me to move TS4 from laptop 1 to laptop 2 via external memory drive thingy (whatever it's called)? I've played A LOT and changed 90% of the maps and I have dozens of households, but I haven't saved all of them to the gallery/library and doing that would take me a week at least (laptop 1 is a poor i3 hp and it's really slow). If anyone knows any possible way for me to move everything to laptop 2 without losing any progress or days of my life, please help me out! :'( I'll owe you forever.

Hello @Celleste95
    You can do what you posted about :)
    Your sims 4 game is linked to your origin account. Download load and install Origin onto laptop 2. Then log into origin on this computer using the same account that you used to register the game and packs on the first computer , then click on the Games Library section, click on the sims 4 picture, then download/install it there. Then click the extra content button that is half way down the page. That will take you to a screen that shows you what game packs, stuff packs and eps you own. You can then download/install them there.

Make a copy of your sims 4 folder on your first computer that is in Documents > Electronic Arts > ( then The Sims 4 folder is there ) and place it on an external drive.
    Then after installing the sims 4 game onto the second computer, play it once to generate a new sims 4 folder.
    In your sims 4 folder are your saves folder ( contains your save games) and the tray folder ( which contains your lots and households that you have uploaded to your library or have downloaded from the community gallery ) Replace the saves, tray, mods, custom music and screenshots folders that are in the new sims 4 folder with the same folders that are in the sims 4 folder on your external drive. You will then have your old save games and creations etc on your second computer. :)
  • Celleste95Celleste95 Posts: 15 Member
    Thank you SO much @rosemow !! Will def do my best not to screw up these fairly easy steps lol.
    edited May 2017