Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Willingly Writing Reading Circle (On Hiatus)

Comments

• AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Eowyn wrote: »
    It’s super interesting to see how other writers are organizing their writing, and how you all process things. I think often it depends on whether or not people script their stories or not, but also how organized a person in general is. I am terrible unorganized myself, so even though I am writing a detailed script right now, my notes are ALL over the place and even the ‘main’ document looks kinda whacky.

@Simcraft81 It sounds like we draw inspiration for character traits/personality in a very similar way. I never thought of looking to the types of people I would like to meet, rather than have met. That is interesting to me. I’ll look up your video!

@xJojox I think you are very smart in using the resources that you have right there at your fingertips – and I also think it’s awesome that you can have those conversations with your kids. In some way, it also allows you a sneak peek into your daughter minds when she says how she would feel or think about certain things. ;) And 2008!! Oh wow.. I don’t think I have a single notepad from then lol

@AdamsEve1231 I don’t know why but OneNote makes me think of high techy, super advanced scary software to navigate lol. I use the cloud for a lot of things, but I can’t edit anything directly in it and it’s kind of awkward to try to read it on my IPhone. You are SO correct about making sure to keep backups of things when you do in-depth writing. I just realized that I haven’t dropped my main script for “Dear Bully” into the Cloud yet… zomg. I better do it asap. I really, really like doing a profile like you are doing. Do you mind if I use the idea? It will only be for internal use and in my word document. :)

Oh and @AdamsEve1231 I hope it's okay that I pulled this discussion into the circle. I know it's not directly related to the Simlit stories that we write, but I figure since it is regarding writing in general, it would be fine!

@Eowyn Absolutely... it's totally okay that you pulled my other discussions into this circle. That's what we are here for - to discuss things. :)

OneNote is super easy to navigate. You can download it on the Web for free and link it to an email account. Then you just open and start typing notes. It auto saves for you, but you can always sync manually if you're worried. The nice thing about OneNote is it allows you to write all over the page (well not sideways which I can do in handwriting) and then you can organize as you'd like. Usually when I stretch my screen length bar a over two sections, I just start a new page. I was a little worried about using it myself but it's actually super easy to use.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited October 2016
    @Eowyn, @JLBDreamer, @CreamierThanMami, @xJojox, @Simcraft81

I'm thinking we should scrap Sim of the Month since it doesn't seem to be working well. I'd love to continue nominating/honoring SOTM and your work, but I'm thinking maybe just reading and discussing is enough for our little circle.

Thoughts?

Also, I've updated the round-robin reading schedule and you can see it here. Every two weeks we have a discussion (facilitated by the author) about 2 chapters from that author's work. In one of my other circles, the reading isn't so structured and it can be any two chapters from that author's work so this allows for and accommodates readers wherever they are. We utilize spoilers if some of us are farther along than others. I'm thinking we should do something like this in our circle.

Are you in favor of continued discussions (of any two chapters) facilitated by the author of a featured story?
    Do you want to stick to the two week time-period for reading or return to a one week reading period?

This upcoming week was supposed to feature my story, but I think we should have @Eowyn showcase her story since she's new to our circle.

Is everyone okay with that?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @Eowyn, what's your posting schedule so I can update the first page?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Simcraft81Simcraft81 Posts: 499 Member
    edited October 2016
    @AdamsEve1231 I like the bi weekly approach. If we ever get busy with outside stuff we have more time to discuss the stories and/or plan for additional ideas we want to share if it's someone's turn. I had fun planning for my discussion week and I'd love to do more when my 2 weeks are here :smiley: Since it's your upcoming week, you're more than welcome to do as you like if you and @Eowyn have agreed to it. As for Sim of the Month, why don't we choose a favorite Sim from the story that's up for discussion? We could use your guidelines from S.O.M. or we could just talk about the Sim in all of his/her awesomness.

• EowynEowyn Posts: 151 Member
    edited October 2016
    @AdamsEve1231 I think it sounds like a great idea to read two chapters of the featured story, like you suggested. The use of the spoiler feature would be really nice for me since I just joined and I am sure I am further behind on stories than the rest of you, that way I don't get any unexpected 'sneak peeks' of the future lol. I also like the idea of spending two weeks on each story. I read relatively fast but I think it's nice that we spend a little extra time on each author to discuss their story and read the feedback from other reasons.

@Simcraft81 I too think we should stick with @AdamsEve1231 's story this week as planned! I don't have any issues with waiting at all. I also think that your idea to select a Sim of the Month from the current author is a good idea. =)

@AdamsEve1231 Just wanted to say that you're always so super kind. You're very thoughtful to think of using my story this coming week, but I really like your story and it's become one of my favorites! I think we should stick with your scheduled week. <3

Edit; Ops, almost forgot your question lol. I post about 2-3 times a week since my updates are relatively short :] Also I think I will try OneNote!
  • xJojoxxJojox Posts: 6,878 Member
    edited October 2016
    @AdamsEve1231 ... i usually update at least once or twice a week too.
  • JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    edited November 2021
    Deleted
    Post edited by JLBDreamer on
    @Eowyn I was just saying that if you and @AdamsEve1231 already had an arrangement for the upcoming week it's totally fine either way.
    edited October 2016
    @Adamseve1231 I'm sorry for not seeing your comment about 'S.V. Most Wanted' Chapter 3. Here's the answer to what you asked :)
    The Organization lead by Claire is trying to take over Sunset Valley and soon the world. Claire and Xander are planning on a secret objective that will help the organization do this but they haven't told the rest of the group yet and Xander was doing his part when he was reading that book.
    edited October 2016
    @Eowyn and @xJojox thank you for your information. I'll update the front page.

@Eowyn and @Simcraft81 I think we'll do this then and stick with my story, but we'll stick Eowyn in @CreamierthanMami's spot since she's on hiatus unless she comes back between now and then and we'll shuffle around as needed.

@JLBDreamer No worries. We can totally switch to another story if you need to. Just keep me posted.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    So instead of Sim of the Month (SOTM), I'd like to go with @Eowyn's suggestion - Featured Sim. We can pick our favorite characters from the featured story and incorporate this Sim into our discussions, ask questions about the Sims, share random fun facts (as authors), or whatever else strikes our fancy.

What do you all think, @Simcraft81, @Eowyn, @xJojox, @JLBDreamer, @CreamierThanMami?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    I've got a new I&S post out - Lucky Palms, Ep. 11, Apologize.

screenshot-5191.jpg?w=1075

@Eowyn, since you're new, I thought I'd add Interludes & Solitude is the series between 1.0 KCLKF and 2.0 KFLL. It follows Kass post her early summer adventures.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    I'm fine with featured sim. Was it like my suggestion or something different?
    Simcraft81 wrote: »
    I'm fine with featured sim. Was it like my suggestion or something different?

@Simcraft81 It was a combined thought I think between you and Eowyn. :)

Let's talk about the Sim and his/her awesomeness when we start the next discussion on Friday! :)
    As for Sim of the Month, why don't we choose a favorite Sim from the story that's up for discussion? We could use your guidelines from S.O.M. or we could just talk about the Sim in all of his/her awesomness.

In the meantime, we can talk about the awesomeness of Erica Wilder in @JLBDreamer's Wilder Hearts since we still have a day left in that discussion.
    One of the reasons I think Erica is awesome is because of her total transformation. She always has hints of bravery... I mean she stole from a vampire in the beginning... that takes guts, but her courage and confidence really develops beautifully over time. I also think she's awesome because she totally can hold her own. She doesn't need Vlad to validate her in the end, but she loves him and wants him anyway. She stands up to him and puts him in his place, but that's what makes their relationship so intense, attractive, and intriguing. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    Ah, ok. I'm on board. Sounds good.
    edited October 2016
    @JLBDreamer Thank you.

@AdamsEve1231 Sounds good. I'm glad you told me that Interludes and Solitude is between because it would have been very likely that I would have just skipped over it. I'm looking forward to read it. :)

@Simscraft81 It was just like your suggestion, I merely agreed with it being a good idea and chimed in on it. <3
    Okay, @Eowyn. I'm glad we found a way to keep S.O.M. though in a different form lol. I'll have your stories bookmarked on my PC
    edited October 2016
    Featured Dates: October 7th-October 20th

@Simcraft81, @xJojox, @JLBDreamer, and @Eowyn

First of all, thank you to @JLBDreamer for hosting questions in the last 2 weeks. I really enjoyed discussing Wild Hearts and Erica.

Second, since we're instituting a featured Sim to coincide with the current discussion story, I'd like to ask you all to share your favorite character from KCLKF and maybe a question or two you might have about the story or that featured character. It's totally okay if we have more than one since KCLKF has a large cast of characters.

Third, instead of picking specific chapters, I think it would be best for you to pick any one chapter or two chapters to read/discuss. I'm doing this in another one of my circles and it works well.

Fourth, depending on where you are at in the story, you may need to use spoilers unless you can be vague and generic with your comments. I'll try and do the same so people can get caught up as needed.

Happy reading, discussing, and Simming!

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @CreamierThanMami hasn't been active for over a month now. I would love to keep her in the Circle and I love her story, but I think we should remove her and make space for a new, more active member.

I've reached out to her several times, but haven't gotten a response. I hope everything is okay, and she's welcome to rejoin our circle later if she would like. I really don't want to be a downer, but most of the other circles remove inactive members too.

We'll miss you, Creamy. :/

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @AdamsEve1231 I noticed that other circles are doing the same, and it makes sense. Besides, you mentioned that she can rejoin if she returns, so I am sure she wouldn't mind.

Also I will go through your story tomorrow and select some chapters and a Simmie! It's so late right now 5:45 AM and I still haven't been able to sleep yet, yikes! Thankfully it's Sunday tomorrow.
    Eowyn wrote: »
    @AdamsEve1231 I noticed that other circles are doing the same, and it makes sense. Besides, you mentioned that she can rejoin if she returns, so I am sure she wouldn't mind.

Also I will go through your story tomorrow and select some chapters and a Simmie! It's so late right now 5:45 AM and I still haven't been able to sleep yet, yikes! Thankfully it's Sunday tomorrow.

@Eowyn Yeah I had to be up at 7:30 this morning and I didn't fall asleep till 1:30ish so I was pretty tired today. Took a nice nap this afternoon. Much needed!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I'm so glad you've joined our circle!

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited October 2016
    I have a new I&S chapter - Lucky Palms, Episode 12, Stars. :)

I do have a question for the group about my story. If you've read any part of KCLKF or KFLL, how is I&S different? Do you like the changes? What do you think of Kass' character development? I have my own thoughts, but I wanted to see what the group thought.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited October 2016
    @AdamsEve1231 I think when writing a prequel sequel or spin-off, keeping the style or format true to the original material while telling a new story is effective. To me, her character in KCLKF and I&S should feel the same and so far I think this was done nicely. I like getting to know a character and see how they react to situations. I'm glad you started writing 'I&S'. It's a good opportunity for character growth. I must say
    I felt bad for what happened to Jennifer. She is the main character in 'The Divas' after all :( I just can't get over how both our stories had an accident connected to Jennifer (being at the scene).
    Post edited by Simcraft81 on
    @AdamsEve1231 I think when writing a prequel sequel or spin-off, keeping the style or format true to the original material while telling a new story is effective. To me, her character in KCLKF and I&S should feel the same and so far I think this was done nicely. I like getting to know a character and see how they react to situations. I'm glad you started writing 'I&S'. It's a good opportunity for character growth. I must say
    I felt bad for what happened to Jennifer. She is the main character in 'The Divas' after all :( I just can't get over how both our stories had an accident connected to Jennifer (being at the scene).

@Simcraft81 Thanks for your comments. I think I write similarly, but there are some things I feel change a bit. Kass is still very internalized and has a rich inner thought world. I'm enjoying writing I&S to fill in some of the blanks and also develop Kass a little more deeply.
    I was sad about Jennifer too, but I needed her death for the plot... unfortunately... and Gage's character development. I like what you did with Jennifer in your own stories.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited October 2016
    @xJojox, @Eowyn, @Simcraft81, @JLBDreamer Does anyone else have an additional thoughts about Kass's story before we move on?

We will be starting discussion on Simcraft's Sim Stories starting tomorrow technically through the 3rd of November.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest