Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[BETA] The Sims 4 History Challenge

Comments

• Options
    MeTime85MeTime85 Posts: 142 Member
    A nice name generator http://www.behindthename.com/random/ is what I use all the time, since I've started my writing practice.
    For-forum.jpg
  • Options
    EGrace93EGrace93 Posts: 95 Member
    @Snowie Thanks for the reminder :smile:
  • Options
    Okay so now that I'm finally a member here's a link to the blog The History of the Ackley Family where I'm recording what happens as I play. @Cloudseeker I'd like for it to be added to the list of stories/let's plays if that's okay.

Also here's a link to the name lists I made https://historyofackleyfamily.wordpress.com/2016/09/01/some-name-lists/
  • Options
    xKindredxSoulsxxKindredxSoulsx Posts: 30 Member
    I dissapeared for a while there. Spent time with family and got out of the habit of playing or checking up here. Back now, and my points are good enough for membership now, just need to comment 6 more times... I think it was 6...

Had a scare last night when my family glitched while traveling and I kept getting bounced back to the Choose a World screen even when I tried reverting to a previous save. Luckily getting out and clearing my caches before reloading the game resolved this. Has anyone else had this happen before?

@EGrace93 That's awesome, and I will definitely be checking those out.
    Did you ever resolve your crashing issue? I only have some of the items you mentioned and while I have the occasional crash I think it is caused by a combination of my laptop not being up to par(and in desperate need of a cleaning) and the odd glitch. Usually if I keep my cache files cleared it isn't a regular problem. Still, as Sims 3 taught me well, save often.
    In case it's in any way helpful, the items from your list which I also have are the baby without crib mod(there are two files, one is the mod and one is the decorative version of EA's crib), the hygiene from swimming mod, and the woodcarving rock.
  • Options
    @xKindredxSoulsx Well the crashing isue is 'resolved' in that it's not happened for a while but I have no idea why. I put it down to me overstraining my poor old laptop. Thanks for asking
  • Options
    SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
    Had a scare last night when my family glitched while traveling and I kept getting bounced back to the Choose a World screen even when I tried reverting to a previous save. Luckily getting out and clearing my caches before reloading the game resolved this. Has anyone else had this happen before?

No, I've never had an issue like that. Overall Sims 4 runs very cleanly for me, but my computer is pretty beefy so it had better not have issues like that :p Do you use many mods/cc? Perhaps that caused the issue.
    Playing the History Challenge? Make sure you have the up-to-date rules here!
  • Options
    @EGrace93 glad to know your crashing has calmed down. I hate when it becomes an issue. I've had days where it just seems to keep doing it, but the next day(and most days in fact) it will be fine. I think it's mostly just my poor old laptop too.

@Snowie it's possible this was caused by a mod, but since restarting the game resolved it I think it was a one time glitch regardless of cause. I was mostly asking if anyone had experienced it out of curiousity, but thank you for following up with me. I think it was just one of those random game glitches(which I may experience worse because my computer is not prety beefy). If it is a mod it may have been tied to my sims in zone settings for MC Command Center(which I had set to half the default. Turned it up for a bit so I could find children to befriend easier) and the large group I was trying to travel with.

In other news I have finally completed the dreaded(at least by me) Social Butterfly aspiration with all five of my children, so I can now go work on my angler fish goal without worrying about any of the kids slipping through the cracks. Yay!
  • Options
    In other news I have finally completed the dreaded(at least by me) Social Butterfly aspiration with all five of my children, so I can now go work on my angler fish goal without worrying about any of the kids slipping through the cracks. Yay!

LOL glad I'm not the only one who hates that aspiration. It just seems so tedious to me, there's nothing fun about it... at least not how I play the game.
  • Options
    @Snowie it's such a grind, and besides that trying to find enough children and adults, that you haven't already befriended can be frustrating. I'm better at it thanks to playing the Wonderchild challenge, but still find it frustrating. I made a family with three children specifically to help with this aspiration when it comes up, but it doesn't help much with five children all reaching this goal at different times and limited travel locations. My youngest kids had befriended all the children I could find by the time I reached that part of the goal and I had to search and scrounge and edit another darn Townie to look like a caveman. --_--
  • Options
    Does anyone know where I can find a plain male tunic/long top? I'm having real difficulty finding nightclothes for my male Romans
  • Options
    SarahkaySarahkay Posts: 362 Member
  • Options
    @Sarahkay Thank you. I use that site a lot too, they have some really good stuff don't they? Unfortunately they don't have the exact thing I was looking for but I'm making do with a prehistoric fur tunic for now.
  • Options
    MeeshelbyMeeshelby Posts: 1,914 Member
    @Cloudseeker or anyone... Forgive me if this has been asked, but I can't find any answers in the instructions on the main page. It says to delete ALL sims so that our founders are the only ones. However, this results in my game automatically generating approximately 13 new NPCs, all who have horrible looks/body shapes...and all look alike, because random NPCs all are created off of set parameters. Do you have any suggestions or ideas on how to deal with these? I know the game requires a certain number of NPCs, but didn't know it was 13!! That's a LOT! Thanks for any help!
  • Options
    Meeshelby wrote: »
    @Cloudseeker or anyone... Forgive me if this has been asked, but I can't find any answers in the instructions on the main page. It says to delete ALL sims so that our founders are the only ones. However, this results in my game automatically generating approximately 13 new NPCs, all who have horrible looks/body shapes...and all look alike, because random NPCs all are created off of set parameters. Do you have any suggestions or ideas on how to deal with these? I know the game requires a certain number of NPCs, but didn't know it was 13!! That's a LOT! Thanks for any help!

As far as I know, there isn't any way to keep the game from spawning new NPC's or reducing the number, unless there's a mod. Really, I just try to ignore them and only socialize with them if I need to (for a goal or something). You can of course fill the neighborhood with era-friendly families, you can even find some on the gallery under #historychallenge if you don't want to make them all yourself. This of course won't fix the issue, but will give you a lower chance of seeing the non-era-friendly Sims. Hope this helped, happy Simming!
  • Options
    TheGeekGamezTheGeekGamez Posts: 706 Member
    @Meeshelby the way i dealt with it was redressing all family's that had a house and just ignore the other ones. For exaple, the Goth's are now wearing animal skins and so are the caliente's; so i interact with them. But if i see a game generated NPC i will not interact with them. I hope this helps!
  • Options
    Thank you @Snowie & @TheGeekGamez !! I'll just plan to ignore them then. I already deleted all of the normal townies.
  • Options
    BarbieByMattelBarbieByMattel Posts: 2 New Member
    @Cloudseeker I love this challenge so much I actually created an account just to comment here :D

Since it's a BETA challenge, I'm sharing my ideas for the challenge:

*Prehistoric Times:
    Same-sex relationship should not be banned, at least for woohooing, since it is socially "banned" later more for moral/religious reasons.

*Early Civilization:
    The Ancients actually DID have contraception methods. They used either plants on the woman or even the guts' skin of some animals as condoms. Therefore, "safe" Woohoo should be allowed. I believed it would be a better option with a mod that permitted a Risky Woohoo, so you can use contraception but still have high chances of getting pregnant.
    Also, at least for the Greeks, same-sex relationships between men were allowed- as long as the citizen was the 'active' one and the non-citizen/slave was 'passive' and the citizen was married to a women for breading reasons. In Plato's Symposium you can read that they actually considered Gay Men to be the brightest of men, since they had no relationship with women. Therefore, lesbians were considered repulsive.

*Middle Ages
    My suggestion is you split this Era in two: Middle Ages (Based on Europe, 400-1450 approx.) and Modern Period/Age of Discovery (Based on Europe 1450-1700 approx.)

For the Middle Ages, you should keep in mind that these are considered the "Dark Ages" for the Arts, since they were much controlled by the Catholic Church. IMO, Sims should be allowed to earn money from music tips but not to license songs. Licesing songs is means jointing the music to an Author and that is more of a Modern Period where art is turned more into a business like other activities. Most art pieces of Middle Age are Annonymous.

As in for romance, lovers during the Middle Ages were censored, again, by the Catholic Church. As were same-sex relationships. Contraception methods were not allowed. All these things I mentioned were, of course, done anyways. But the rule was not to and the challenge becomes more interesting when following the Eras cannonical rules. I suggest also having Female Sims to only ever kiss their future husband and maybe marrying a YA Female to an Adult or Elder Male.

For the Modern Period, I do believe you should put the focus on the Arts. Since it is the Renaissance Period. For romance, Male Sims should be allowed to have lovers. And maybe females too, if the lover was of a higher career level or richer than the sim's husband?

*Today and The Future
    I believe it would be fun to split the 7th Era just a little bit. Rocket Science, Astronaut career and Alien interactions could be saved for a 8/9th Era (If you choose to take up on my Middle Age/Modern Period suggestion) where Sims could live our science-fictioned future. Maybe think of the "Today Time" as more of a 1930-1999 period?

Anyway, I truly love this challenge and will go download all the CC right away! Hope you like my suggestions :smiley:
  • Options
    RudiaroseRudiarose Posts: 891 Member
    edited October 2016
    Here is a break down on the woodworking Carl is great. The second one has a list of everything.

http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/skills/handiness/

http://sims-online.com/sims-4-handiness-woodworking-skill-guide/
  • Options
    RudiaroseRudiarose Posts: 891 Member
    There is a bush you can get to use the bathroom in but it cost a lot. You would think it should be cheaper then a regular toilette.
    Good news, a toilet mod fit for the Prehistoric Era just appeared on MTS, the Nature Calls Wild Grass Toilet by LadyCadaver! No more hiding a regular toilet behind a pile of shrubs :)

• Options
    Does anyone have any problems with roasting fish on the fire and then the fish just disappears? My sims were going to starve since that's the only thing allowed to eat in the pre-historic era. So I had to cheat and put in a fridge that looks like a stone well. Every time they catch a fish, they roast it just fine but when they stand up after roasting it on the fire, it just vanishes. They don't eat it, it doesn't reappear anywhere else, its not in their inventory. Not sure what's going on?
  • Options
    SarahkaySarahkay Posts: 362 Member

@Meeshelby I didn't have quite that problem, but similar. My fire had a bug for some reason (but its fine now) so it would burn constantly but not actually be lit which also caused the fire to go out and me never notice even while they cooked the fish. If it happened then my sims fish would also vansih like yours. I started having one sim handy to randomly add logs to the fire while the other was cooking the fish. It was annoying, but worked.
  • Options
    @Sarahkay Thanks for the input! I checked it out and that's not the problem with mine :( I wish it were! I even bought a 2nd fire pit to see if that would fix it. I also tried to roast other things on the fire and the same thing happens :(
  • Options
    kristinepunktumkristinepunktum Posts: 166 Member
    @Sarahkay Thanks for the input! I checked it out and that's not the problem with mine :( I wish it were! I even bought a 2nd fire pit to see if that would fix it. I also tried to roast other things on the fire and the same thing happens :(

Having the same problem here! Very annoying, but for me it was the mod that stopped them from autonomously roasting hot dogs and marshmallows that fixed it, however. I haven't done this LP in 7 months because I had IRL things (just got married) so when I came back the game was patched and the Mod was no longer usable. Sigh.
    My Youtube Channel
    Current challenges: The History Challenge, the 10 Baby Mama Challenge (Sims 3) and of course; The Legacy Challenge.

kEVfgAW.jpg
  • Options

Having the same problem here! Very annoying, but for me it was the mod that stopped them from autonomously roasting hot dogs and marshmallows that fixed it, however. I haven't done this LP in 7 months because I had IRL things (just got married) so when I came back the game was patched and the Mod was no longer usable. Sigh.

Ooooh I forgot I downloaded that mod, I'll delete it and see if that helps! Congrats on getting married ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    @Meeshelby @kristinepunktum
    I think the issue (at least what I experienced) was that the Sims were so hungry, they didn't register roasting a fish as a hunger-solving action, and would therefore stand up to roast a hot dog instead. Once your Sims start roasting a fish, the fish is removed from their inventory. You won't get it back even if you cancel the action, so you have to keep an eye on them once you tell them to cook the fish to make sure they're not cancelling it to do anything else.

I always tried to adapt when they decided to quit roasting their fish, and have them eat some plants instead. But if I didn't have anything for them to eat, I would let them have a hot dog/veggie dog. This is really okay because the idea was that your prehistoric Sims can't have "free" food that they just magically pulled out of their animal skin pockets. Since you already "paid" a fish for their dinner, then the game decided that they weren't having fish for dinner, that's not really your fault. Giving them a hot dog is better than letting them starve because the game is just being silly.

Not the solution you were hoping for I'm sure, but that's just how I handled similar situations when I played. Hope this helped, happy Simming!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top