Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Expansion Pack Comparison, Reflection and Feedback

Comments

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    edited September 2016
    Yes Ambitions were more richer than Sims 4 . You had more careers, an you ha more jobs , and tweaks . Like teacher, and the host spital career you can get people medicine . I think the biggest difference with the two . Sims stuff affected the world, and ha objects you can use in home . Sims 4 in comparison, dosen't have a lot features effects the sims 4 base game well the regular worlds
  • OMGiLoveIceCreamOMGiLoveIceCream Posts: 603 Member
    edited September 2016
    @auramaris are you saying Hallo is wrong for liking Sims 4 packs? It is also really offensive to say that you laughed at someone's statement.
    auramaris wrote: »
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    Almost everything in TS3 was half-baked at best.

Conclusion: If you love the numbers game (meaning: quantitiy over quality) stick with TS3.

This literally made me laugh out loud and I needed it today, thanks :D
    But I'm genuinely wondering how come you love TS4's packs which are obviously the half baked ones and don't like TS3's?
    TS3's packs were full of content, I don't remember ever being disappointed. There was always so much to do and I never got bored after playing those for a week which is the case for TS4. I just don't understand anyone saying they rather have quality over quantity with TS4's packs cause honestly, those packs have neither of those.

• auramarisauramaris Posts: 154 Member
    @OMGiLoveIceCream I never said she's wrong for liking it, people like different things and I'm glad she's enjoying the game but for her to say sims 3's packs are half baked while enjoying sims 4's is just funny to me.
    If you look at the OP's post it's clear that sims 3 adds more content with the packs compared to sims 4.
  • papersuitcasepapersuitcase Posts: 838 Member
    Irrelevant thread since sims 2 was the best game.
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    If you google for "best expansions pack + sims 3" you'll find out that Late Night was by far the most popular ep among simmers (I think LGR has it ranked also very high on his list).

source: http://www.thetoptens.com/best-sims-3-expansion-packs/

And this says it all.

Let's give it a try: Late Night's best feature was Bridgeport (in fact, it was my second favorite world, so they did a pretty good job with it). The problem: If you don't use a fan-made patch the map suffers of significant routing errors that eventually can corrupt your save file if you don't use mods such as errortrap etc.
    Then we had apartments (camera-movement of doom, rabbithole neighbors, NO (!) new gameplay at all, ZERO control over neighbors etc.) and with them came elevators --> always leading to a traffic jam inside the building + more routing errors + sims getting stuck).
    In addition we got pubs, night-clubs and vip-lounges - everything neat in theory, but since they were almost always empty it seemed like a useless (because dysfunctional) addition to me.
    Also a very poorly designed celebrity system that made everybody become famous only because they talked several times to a VIP sim (resulting in a town full of VIPs), paparazzis that always leave as soon as you start interacting with them (which is so dumb) etc.
    And - of course - vampires, however, they got reworked later anyway. Nuff said.

The only addition I truly enjoyed were butlers. They were alcoholics (drinking at the bar all day long) and it was great (but for real the AI was just terribe --> you can google it yourself "Sims 3 + butler + alcoholic)!

And those were the *Special* fetures of Late Night (don't forget, every Sims 3 ep is packed with set dressing --> rabbithole interactions). I am sorry, I just don't see any more depth or better gameplay features in those eps in comparison to TS4. On the contrary.

Conclusion: If you love the numbers game (meaning: quantitiy over quality) stick with TS3.

By the way: Let's better not start a discussion about the glorified stuff pack (called Generations)...
    --> http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-sims-3-generations

I was going to reply to this and say my clubs were always full and I never had a sim stuck in an elevator, etc. etc., but heck it's not worth the effort anymore.

• kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    @OMGiLoveIceCream I never said she's wrong for liking it, people like different things and I'm glad she's enjoying the game but for her to say sims 3's packs are half baked while enjoying sims 4's is just funny to me.
    If you look at the OP's post it's clear that sims 3 adds more content with the packs compared to sims 4.

I have to agree with you on the half-baked comment. I'll leave the rest alone.
    Irrelevant thread since sims 2 was the best game.

It was definitely the pinnacle of the series.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited September 2016
    Ifreshyeh wrote: »
    I really don't understand why others entertain her when she takes time out of her day to find threads in the game feedback section she doesn't agree with and argue with people for the sake of "fun." But that's just me.

It's not just you. There are some posts I simply don't read for reasons I'd like to believe are obvious.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    Ifreshyeh wrote: »
    I really don't understand why others entertain her when she takes time out of her day to find threads in the game feedback section she doesn't agree with and argue with people for the sake of "fun." But that's just me.

There are people who come to threads and stir the fire... just out of nothing in particular - bad mood - trolling etc;)) and there are people, who often come to disappointed people thread and make a fuss there only to make those threads closed or half of the comments removed... The question is: are they paid for it? or they do it just because... so the best is to ignore or just simply block:) Fortunately there are plenty of people here in the forum who love sims 4 and who doesn't like it and they respect each other and their opposite views. And those people are awesome :)
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited September 2016
    That's an awesome chart, OP! :smile: It's cool to see the differences.

For me?

During a sale, I was recently looking through the various expansion packs of Sims 3 and being impressed by the stuff that was in it. (Same with the content in the store, even if some of it was a bit buggy or half-baked.)

Sims 4's EPs, so far, unfortunately, seem kind of meh or a bit...lacking in comparison to me. I feel like Sims 4 EPs, so far, are like candy, sweet and tasty, but they don't quite fully fill me up, while Sims 3 EPs were a bit more "meatier" like a rich, delicious course meal, and took me time to explore everything in them.

I hope we get more of the meatier EPs in the future. I'm starving for content, lol. :tongue:

(I feel Sims 2 EPs were also an entire full course meal as well, and those meals suit me better than either S4 and S3, but that's not the topic at the moment.)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    edited September 2016
    If you google for "best expansions pack + sims 3" you'll find out that Late Night was by far the most popular ep among simmers (I think LGR has it ranked also very high on his list).

And this says it all.

[...]

By the way: Let's better not start a discussion about the glorified stuff pack (called Generations)...

How wonderful must TS4 be that you come here with this epitome of attempted derailment. Amazing to say the least.
    Also, that is a very informative chart, OP. Something to reflect upon.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • POLLYANNA2POLLYANNA2 Posts: 172 Member
    I never meant for the chart to become a "which one is a better game"argument - for the record, I like both! I play both! I get frustrated by the glitches in Sim 3 and the lack of depth in Sims 4 and wish I could merge them into a super game.

I wanted a tool for reflection and then authentic feedback. Why am I dissatisfied still? Are toddlers the silver bullet to my concerns? (it would be a big help - not going to lie) What can the developer give me that would make me excited? The table compared an EP that I played to death (hundreds of hours - a legacy in that town) and still never explored all the features (Sims 3 - never did the Ghost Hunter career and never made my own simbot) and a very similarly themed pack in the Sims 4 helped me answer those questions.

The answer, using the chart, is more traits/rewards/goals and objects that can be used by more sims in more contexts. (To back that up the stuff pack I like the most in the Backyard Summer one because of the waterslide and the fact it can be used by all sims, of all ages, all the time) I think that is useful feedback to the developers and interesting data for fans of both games.
    YouTube%20Forum%20Banner_zpsu3ts3wnz.png
    ou can read my Sim-Lit here:
    https://pollyannasims.wordpress.com/

• teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    edited September 2016
    I never meant for the chart to become a "which one is a better game"argument - for the record, I like both! I play both! I get frustrated by the glitches in Sim 3 and the lack of depth in Sims 4 and wish I could merge them into a super game.

@POLLYANNA2 That would be amazing... imagine they would merge sims 3 and sims 4!!! I would actually be so happy to play it.. sadly.. we can only wish:(
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • POLLYANNA2POLLYANNA2 Posts: 172 Member
    edited September 2016
    @teaa5 I would be happy to sacrifice Create-A-Style and open world from Sims 3 for the playability factor but I would insist on toddlers, and more traits etc. I don't need it all in my super game wish! I am open to negotiation Sims Gurus!

Edited to add: Seasons is also on the non-negotiable list...
    YouTube%20Forum%20Banner_zpsu3ts3wnz.png
    ou can read my Sim-Lit here:
    https://pollyannasims.wordpress.com/

• jusMehjusMeh Posts: 424 Member

she's not the brightest light bulb in the package, if you catch my drift. ;)
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Seems to me we were having this same content discussion in the TS3 v TS2 wars no? J
    Some things never change. B)
  • HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited October 2016

Wat? Look at the chart and see for yourself what he is doing: he is playing the numbers game. He literally just lists *featues* like "you can sell things in a store" next to a "create your own business"-mechanic provided by TS4.

One needs 20 minutes of time and effort to become created and the other probably several hundred hours with testing, production and bug fixing.

Sims 3 : Quantitiy > Quality (but even that's not the case if you take eps such as Showtime or Generations, they were awful in both ways --> quality and quantity).
    jusMeh wrote: »

she's not the brightest light bulb in the package, if you catch my drift. ;)

Rude.
    Post edited by HalloMolli on
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

edited September 2016
    Cinebar wrote: »

And this says it all.

Let's give it a try: Late Night's best feature was Bridgeport (in fact, it was my second favorite world, so they did a pretty good job with it). The problem: If you don't use a fan-made patch the map suffers of significant routing errors that eventually can corrupt your save file if you don't use mods such as errortrap etc.
    Then we had apartments (camera-movement of doom, rabbithole neighbors, NO (!) new gameplay at all, ZERO control over neighbors etc.) and with them came elevators --> always leading to a traffic jam inside the building + more routing errors + sims getting stuck).
    In addition we got pubs, night-clubs and vip-lounges - everything neat in theory, but since they were almost always empty it seemed like a useless (because dysfunctional) addition to me.
    Also a very poorly designed celebrity system that made everybody become famous only because they talked several times to a VIP sim (resulting in a town full of VIPs), paparazzis that always leave as soon as you start interacting with them (which is so dumb) etc.
    And - of course - vampires, however, they got reworked later anyway. Nuff said.

The only addition I truly enjoyed were butlers. They were alcoholics (drinking at the bar all day long) and it was great (but for real the AI was just terribe --> you can google it yourself "Sims 3 + butler + alcoholic)!

And those were the *Special* fetures of Late Night (don't forget, every Sims 3 ep is packed with set dressing --> rabbithole interactions). I am sorry, I just don't see any more depth or better gameplay features in those eps in comparison to TS4. On the contrary.

That really rakes TS3 over the coals doesn't it? Do you ever wonder you hurt The Sims Studio/Maxis' guru feelings with all that hate toward TS3? I mean it is the very same company. It would seem like it could, don't you think? I mean if saying something about TS4 hurts feelings wonder how they feel if they read what you say about their last game since they are pretty much the same people.

I don't hate TS3, it's a great game with obviously a different focus and it showed in their eps --> half-baked and/or rudimentary features packed with set-dressing (rabbithole interactions). But hey, the eps were at least HUGE, I guess, in the end that's what counts and determines quality. *rolleyes*

"[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    edited September 2016
    At least you could travel to those rabbit holes unlike S4 where every travel is a loading screen rabbit hole and set dressing is all you get in S4 maybe something with a useless interaction or animation but nothing engrossing or with any substance. It's a light weight online game with some shallow window dressing to try to stop you from seeing just how pathetic it actually is.

No rolling of eyes cause that's "rude" :p
    edited September 2016
    At least you could travel to those rabbit holes unlike S4 where every travel is a loading screen rabbit hole and set dressing is all you get in S4 maybe something with a useless interaction or animation but nothing engrossing or with any substance. It's a light weight online game with some shallow window dressing to try to stop you from seeing just how pathetic it actually is.

No rolling of eyes cause that's "rude" :p

Yeah, as you can see in my initial post, you get 'substance' in TS3. But sure, if you want to call quanitity (but even that's not really true) over quality 'substance', go for it.

Edit: EPs in TS3 are a joke, sorry. No depth, only rudimentary functionality/features (if at all) and set-dressing.*

*Does not apply to University, Seasons and Island Paradise, those were great.

Sims 4 plays in its own league. The only features from previous iterations that were (slightly) better in their functionality/feature richness got their own addons, fully dedicated and build around one particular feature (--> apartment life and open for business).
    Post edited by HalloMolli on

University seasons pets etc all set dressing with no depth. Yet get to work romantic gardens outdoor retreat filled with quality additions you never get sick off? My eyes almost rolled but I stopped them in time.
    edited September 2016
    University seasons pets etc all set dressing with no depth. Yet get to work romantic gardens outdoor retreat filled with quality additions you never get sick off? My eyes almost rolled but I stopped them in time.

I am discussing eps here. But sure, let's compare the functionality/potential in gaming/experience and overall value of gps.

Take: Dine Out (20$) as an example, a similar product for TS3 got released in the official store:

http://store.thesims3.com/setsProductDetails.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:67573&section=UpSell

You had to spend at least (!) 18 $ to get it.

If you spend 2 dollars more you can get the Dine Out GP instead. The Business as Usual Bistro is a bad, cynical joke compared to it.

---

Another comparison would be the store-management functionality both games provide. But whatever.

Edit: TS3's eps stand for shortcuts, half-baked content and set-dressing.

Well if S3 is half baked S4 is rancid uncooked meat the fat cats at ea threw down knowing some starving dogs would devour it.
    Anyway time to end the drama :p
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top